Desert Island V Album Game: Rules and Signup Thread - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-19-2008, 02:35 PM   #346
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,959
Local Time: 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
It's seriously 70 minutes?! No wonder you don't care for the idea of having a minimum length. I think you'll be the new record holder for shortest list by at least 40 minutes.
Yeah. It'll be an easy one to listen to--especially looking at the artists. It'll be right up my alley for sure!
__________________

__________________
the tourist is offline  
Old 08-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #347
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
It's seriously 70 minutes?! No wonder you don't care for the idea of having a minimum length. I think you'll be the new record holder for shortest list by at least 40 minutes.
that's what i was thinking, though there's nothing wrong with a short playlist of course. the shortest i've done for the competition is 102 minutes long. and people thought that was short!
__________________

__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 08-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #348
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,062
Local Time: 12:27 AM
While a short playlist is certainly acceptable, it is a bit risky in terms of trying to do well in the tournament, as some people go by how many songs they like on a list when voting, and obviously the longer the list, the better shot at having more songs that someone else likes.

Then again, trying to win the tournament is really an afterthought to the main goal: listening and enjoying everyone's playlists and discovering things you may not have known about previously.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 08-19-2008, 11:14 PM   #349
Refugee
 
Mr. V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: in a French-ass restaurant
Posts: 1,482
Local Time: 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
It's seriously 70 minutes?! No wonder you don't care for the idea of having a minimum length. I think you'll be the new record holder for shortest list by at least 40 minutes.
Quality > Quantity
__________________
Mr. V is offline  
Old 08-19-2008, 11:15 PM   #350
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
that's what i was thinking, though there's nothing wrong with a short playlist of course. the shortest i've done for the competition is 102 minutes long. and people thought that was short!
You even lost "votes" because of it, if I remember correctly.

"I liked this more than the other one... but it was too short. Vote goes to them, failure."
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 12:23 AM   #351
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 12:27 AM
What a wonderfully horrible nine days I've had. Besides being terribly sick (a little worried about the results of blood tests), my anti-virus program downloaded a virus onto the computer. It is fixed but every file on my computer is gone. All my music, pictures, writing, torrents and playlists. So I will still be able to participate but it is only going to be around 80 minutes long. I have no idea how I'm going to do another playlist anytime soon though.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 12:41 AM   #352
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 11:27 PM
Why not just let an alternate take your spot then?
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #353
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
It is fixed but every file on my computer is gone. All my music, pictures, writing, torrents and playlists.
OMG that is horrible! I'm so sorry! Didn't you back anything up?
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 06:10 PM   #354
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,062
Local Time: 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
What a wonderfully horrible nine days I've had. Besides being terribly sick (a little worried about the results of blood tests), my anti-virus program downloaded a virus onto the computer. It is fixed but every file on my computer is gone. All my music, pictures, writing, torrents and playlists. So I will still be able to participate but it is only going to be around 80 minutes long. I have no idea how I'm going to do another playlist anytime soon though.
Sorry to hear about that.

Let me know ASAP if things change and you can't do this, just so any interested alternates have time to do a list.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 08-21-2008, 10:23 PM   #355
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,062
Local Time: 12:27 AM
The Desert Island site has been updated with:

-Results for DI4 and Retro Island
-Additions of Prog Island and Symphonic Island

Now I'm all caught up until I add the new stuff. We're a week away, barring any delays.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 08-25-2008, 11:18 PM   #356
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,062
Local Time: 12:27 AM
This was all the way to Page 3.

We're only a few days from the due date, so I hope everyone is finishing up.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 08-25-2008, 11:23 PM   #357
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 07:27 AM
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 08-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #358
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 09:27 PM
Phanan, I'm going to get my stuff to you in the next day or two, I've just been too busy with moving to school
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 03:19 AM   #359
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,039
Local Time: 04:27 PM
Hey all just thought I'd drop by.

Still cannot fathom how all of you can possibly manage to listen to twenty two-hour plus playlists, numerous times, and getting the nuances of them. Do none of you like work, school...

My other query is do you think we could do another symphonic type thing in the future. 60/80 minute playlists, so people who don't have the time or the "ability" to do a fully-fledged di list could get in on the fun? I know there's some who think this idea blasphemous, but those who believe that wouldn't have to be involved. It would be great fun and there wouldn't be a lot of bitching either, I don't think.
__________________
cobl04 is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 03:23 AM   #360
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,959
Local Time: 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBL_04 View Post
My other query is do you think we could do another symphonic type thing in the future. 60/80 minute playlists, so people who don't have the time or the "ability" to do a fully-fledged di list could get in on the fun? I know there's some who think this idea blasphemous, but those who believe that wouldn't have to be involved. It would be great fun and there wouldn't be a lot of bitching either, I don't think.
Mini games usually happen between the DI's.
__________________

__________________
the tourist is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
desert island

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com