Desert Island V Album Game: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all just thought I'd drop by.

Still cannot fathom how all of you can possibly manage to listen to twenty two-hour plus playlists, numerous times, and getting the nuances of them. Do none of you like work, school... :lol:

My other query is do you think we could do another symphonic type thing in the future. 60/80 minute playlists, so people who don't have the time or the "ability" to do a fully-fledged di list could get in on the fun? I know there's some who think this idea blasphemous, but those who believe that wouldn't have to be involved. It would be great fun and there wouldn't be a lot of bitching either, I don't think.

I personally think all future DI and mini games should be 80 minutes or less.

1. It is easier to make the playlists.
2. More people can listen to them.
3. They are generally better and more concise at a single disc length. The problem with longer playlists is that there are way too many songs and they lose that overall feeling.
4. It is easier to have concepts or do something really creative with the playlists.

I posted this in the superthread last night and stand by it:

Personally, I think that by having no suggested minimum and a 160 maximum, the aforementioned issues of having too much music for a 24-person competition with 160 and stifling artistic freedom with 80 would sort themselves out. One group would take advantage of the lack of a minimum, while others would pack theirs out, and we would break even, or close to it.

3. They are generally better and more concise at a single disc length. The problem with longer playlists is that there are way too many songs and they lose that overall feeling.
4. It is easier to have concepts or do something really creative with the playlists.

I agree with this for mini games. I disagree with it vehemently for DI.

:up: :up: :up: Can't add any more to that!

as do i. if anyone wants to make smaller playlists (like as in one disc's worth) then i urge them to just participate in the mini tournaments. it'd be great to see some new faces in those. :)

This is what I'm getting it. See, I'd love to do these tournaments, but I don't have anywhere near enough time to construct a playlist with the fine-tooth comb that most of you use, whereas with mini games, you don't have to be quite so thorough I suppose, and more people would get into it, and those who don't like the idea of them don't compete. Maybe once every two DI games or in between we could have mini games (though it would be great too if they weren't genre specific, maybe even like the symphonic game but less strictured). Anyway for now carry on DIFivers.

Never thought I'd agree with you Screwy.

Still cannot fathom how all of you can possibly manage to listen to twenty two-hour plus playlists, numerous times, and getting the nuances of them. Do none of you like work, school... :lol:

Don't worry, I have wondered about this too! :lol: It IS possible to finish listening to one full 160 min playlist in one evening after work but there are also several lists to listen to! Add to that, you cannot really get a great feel of a playlist until you listen to it several times.. which is pretty much impossible for me. I simply do not have that amount of time! Listening to all the lists once is gonna be hard in itself. :crack:

I fully support no minimum and 160 min maximum in future! :up: Plus there are always the mini games with 80 min max.

This is what I'm getting it. See, I'd love to do these tournaments, but I don't have anywhere near enough time to construct a playlist with the fine-tooth comb that most of you use, whereas with mini games, you don't have to be quite so thorough I suppose, and more people would get into it, and those who don't like the idea of them don't compete. Maybe once every two DI games or in between we could have mini games (though it would be great too if they weren't genre specific, maybe even like the symphonic game but less strictured). Anyway for now carry on DIFivers.

If my suggestion panned out, there wouldn't be a minimum, so you could enter with a list of any length and style in a regular DI tournament.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No
4. Fuck no. If concepts still = creativity, then that is funny.

The mini-games serve the purpose of a shorter length playlist, why are people complaining about it now? I've said all I need to say about this matter, so I won't keep annoying you guys with it, but come on.

There's been about a month to listen to lists people have sent out. You can listen to it, if not at work or school, at home or in a car, most likely. If not, you can probably listen to a list the day of its first match, or hold off from voting until you do. Some of us have shared early and have listened to a good portion.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

There's been about a month to listen to lists people have sent out. You can listen to it, if not at work or school, at home or in a car, most likely. If not, you can probably listen to a list the day of its first match, or hold off from voting until you do. Some of us have shared early and have listened to a good portion.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Some do think it is broke or at least needs some major improvements. :shrug:

Let's deal with this tournament first! It feels like I've been waiting forever for this one to start! :lol:

:crack: :waiting:

YES.

It's mostly coming from people who haven't participated before, or have only once. If a few people complain about something, it doesn't mean you have to change it. Ideas have been suggested as a compromise, too, so it's not like it's being rejected outright.

This is why there is a mini game for each tournament. Maybe mini games and tournaments should each be semiannually (one tourney per season), each with 20 contestants. But one has to be between 80-160 minutes and the other has to be between 40-80 minutes? That way, people can choose what they want to compete in.

This is why there is a mini game for each tournament. Maybe mini games and tournaments should each be semiannually (one tourney per season), each with 20 contestants. But one has to be between 80-160 minutes and the other has to be between 40-80 minutes? That way, people can choose what they want to compete in.

The problem is the mini games are usually genre specific or in the case of the Symphonic Album Game have a different goal than in the DI games. The DI games are open to interpretation as to what to do with the playlists.

Lowering the maximum will get more people listening, more feedback, more voting, better playlists, new people and make the games better.

The problem is the mini games are usually genre specific or in the case of the Symphonic Album Game have a different goal than in the DI games. The DI games are open to interpretation as to what to do with the playlists.

Lowering the maximum will get more people listening, more feedback, more voting, better playlists, new people and make the games better.

For some people. :shrug: Maybe we just need to work on the mini games being more accomodating and leave the full games be.

Wider amount of genres allowed means more time is necessary. Period.

But some people DON'T want to lower their 160 min playlists. There has to be a compromise somewhere. It seems to me like the best compromise is "no minimum".

How about 2 different tournaments side by side? One for 160 min lists and the other for 80 min ones. Everyone is happy.

God this is getting pretty f'ing ridiculous. All this talk about NEXT competition is making me want to participate in THIS competition, not at all WHY ARE WE DISCUSSING THIS?!

Same here.

And that really sucks, since I enjoyed your list and found more music to enjoy.

I don't know why I'm drawn into this argument with Screw, since it will go nowhere, but I'm in one of those "fuck it" moods right now, I guess.

Zoots, it's a decent idea. How about the mini-games just become general tourneys instead of two side-by-side ones? I prefer having a cool genre-based idea, but if it settles it for people, I'm down.

That is total crap. In the Symphonic Album Game people used several different genres.

Certainly not you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom