Desert Island V Album Game: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're seriously using Axver's opinion to decide how to release your list?

Or, rather, Axver's positive opinion?

No, I was just happier with the second list anyway.

I'd be more inclined to release an Axver-approved F list anyway.

He makes one last name sound like the most anti-semitic thing ever uttered.

Imagine if it was Mel Gibson.

I'd like to get in on this if all 20 haven't been accounted for. :wave:

EDIT: Of course, when I actually read every frickin' page I realize that all 20 have been accounted for. The first post threw me off.

A suggestion for the future that maybe the initial post has the participants and that's where you update it?:)

If enough people drop off and a spot opens up, I'll let you know, but we've got several people ahead of you already.

Honestly, we can carry the whole iPod if we were to leave the house and go to a deserted island. :p

Seriously, in my opinion if the mini tournaments were as frequent as the DI ones, then there is no need to shorten the DI playlist length. We can have both 160 min and 80 min tournaments. But there have been what 1 or 2 mini tournaments but 5 DIs.

We've alternated between DI and minis since DI2:

DI2
Prog Island
DI3
Symphonic Island
DI4
Retro Island
DI5

So it's been consistent.

Unfortunately I'm not sure I'll have time to finish my list by Wednesday (I'm going out of town for two weeks), so if there's someone else who's ready to go and needs a spot, they can take it. :up:

Ok man, no problem.

Updated list:

1. phanan
2. Axver
3. KhanadaRhodes
4. phillyfan26
5. LemonMacPhisto
6. LemonMelon
7. Zootlesque
8. AtomicBono
9. bono_212
10. DreamOutLoud13
11. RegularBonoFan
12. Screwtape2
13. Mr. V
14. impy13
15. GirlsAloudFan
16. the tourist
17. Alisaura
18. The Sad Punk
19. BigMacPhisto
20. Lancemc

Alternate 1: hardyharhar
Alternate 2: GibsonGirl
Alternate 3: Joey788

A suggestion for the future that maybe the initial post has the participants and that's where you update it?:)

You can't edit a post once it's been up for 60 minutes, and since this sign up spans several days, that can't be done.

Yeah but it's not the same as having a general desert island disc of shorter length! It's specific to that genre.

Dude, Prog Island was not mini! :lmao: Wasn't it longer in fact?

And Retro was one specific genre!

It was a mini-tournament in the sense that it was a smaller group of people involved (8), but yeah, it was longer in terms of playlists.

The minis will generally be used for something more specific, I believe. It mixes it up.

We should do a mini that's like the first half of LM's list--balls to the wall rock.

Yeah, that's the purpose of having mini-games. Why are you complaining?

lol I'm not complaining. I don't mind the present format all that much. It's just easier to listen to 80 min playlists.

What I was trying to say earlier is... the people asking for shorter length next time around want the same all encompassing lists (not specific to one genre like prog or retro) in shorter format, so that it is easier to listen to everyone's lists. The mini games so far haven't done that... except for one, the symphonic album game. All others have been specific to genres, not general.

lol I'm not complaining. I don't mind the present format all that much. It's just easier to listen to 80 min playlists.

What I was trying to say earlier is... the people asking for shorter length next time around want the same all encompassing lists (not specific to one genre like prog or retro) in shorter format, so that it is easier to listen to everyone's lists. The mini games so far haven't done that... except for one, the symphonic album game. All others have been specific to genres, not general.

This is true.

Yeah, but the mini-games are meant to take a break from the general game format. Even the Symphonic Album Game was about having a concept and rolling with it, not as restrictive as a specific genre, but close enough. Less participants and using it as a precursor to the next DI have as much of a bearing on the length of the lists than anything else, I think.

What AB and El-Mel suggested earlier about a minimum of 80 min and max of 160 min is the best idea I've heard so far. No matter what the maximum is, I'm filling it up all the way to include as much music as possible. Nothing will stop anyone else from doing a shorter list either, sounds like a win-win.

What AB and El-Mel suggested earlier about a minimum of 80 min and max of 160 min is the best idea I've heard so far. No matter what the maximum is, I'm filling it up all the way to include as much music as possible. Nothing will stop anyone else from doing a shorter list either, sounds like a win-win.

I started that idea with a "make whatever length you desire" suggestion! :sexywink:

lol anyway, yeah I like that option too. I mean some people will still have to listen to 160 min lists even if they only want 80 for themselves but that's a trade off I guess. :shrug:

It's really not that difficult to listen to all the lists with so much time given to do it. I mean, the competition hasn't even begun and half the lists are already available. It's a lot more time now than it used to be. And the running diaries make it even easier for some.

I started that idea with a "make whatever length you desire" suggestion! :sexywink:

lol anyway, yeah I like that option too. I mean some people will still have to listen to 160 min lists even if they only want 80 for themselves but that's a trade off I guess. :shrug:

You need to have some structure to it, otherwise people would be making 3-4 hour lists to fit their music tastes - I'm thinking prog or jazz-tastic people.

Alright, cool. I hope that turns out to be the resolution to the whole thing right there.

We should do a mini that's like the first half of LM's list--balls to the wall rock.

Definitely. I had a few tracks left over, so I'm all for it.

And I really hope the min = 80, max = 160 idea gets picked up. Currently, the minimum is probably 100, but it's frowned upon go that low and generally not done. If it's officially made 80, the lists will be more varied, and it'll spice up the tournament.

yes.

yes.

yes.

something I'd actually have a chance at winning :wink:

As for the min and max thing, sounds good to me. People should be allowed to do shorter lists if they want. it shouldn't be "frowned upon" or whatever, because a shorter list does not automatically equal less effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom