Desert Island V Album Game: Round 5, Match 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, fellas.

Zoots, there was more rap/hip-hop/black people music on my last list and that did fairly well... so I don't know what you're saying here.

Either way, I'm glad that the ones that dug my list thought of it so highly. I think the ones that liked it thought of songs+construction vs. just the songs... it's hard to compete with a guy like GAF, who has a ton of stellar songs, when you've used most of those songs in the past, you know?

Eh, whatever. I'll just get to working on a list for the next time around.

Zoots, there was more rap/hip-hop/black people music on my last list and that did fairly well... so I don't know what you're saying here.

I just thought that since the whole first section of your list was almost completely rap/hip hop that perhaps it turned off some people. I could be completely off here and it's only a guess because I've noticed that the particular genre is not as popular as say, rock. Personally, even though I enjoyed certain songs tremendously, like Seal's Killer and that Moby/Patti LaBelle track (which was absolutely stunning), I also thought you could've chosen better songs for REM or even Radiohead, although I do like Blow Out. That is why I prefer your list from last time. And as far as I can recall, that list had a lot of soul music, not so much rap.

The fact of the matter here is that LMP was NOT blown out of the water, but that it was neck and neck between three excellent lists. This time LMP DIDN'T win, but he has done so 4 times in the past, and he should be proud of that. You made a GREAT list this time LMP, and I don't think there's any need to debate what was wrong with it, so much as it's just that things were really close this time, that's all.

And I'm super excited to hear you say you're making another list :)

I just thought that since the whole first section of your list was almost completely rap/hip hop that perhaps it turned off some people. I could be completely off here and it's only a guess because I've noticed that the particular genre is not as popular as say, rock. Personally, even though I enjoyed certain songs tremendously, like Seal's Killer and that Moby/Patti LaBelle track (which was absolutely stunning), I also thought you could've chosen better songs for REM or even Radiohead, although I do like Blow Out. That is why I prefer your list from last time. And as far as I can recall, that list had a lot of soul music, not so much rap.

Kanye, The Beasties, The Roots, and Gorillaz consituted rap, while the other ones except for Mute Math were dance tracks. I understand your criticism of the genre, but don't think it's particularly valid to this conversation. You're right about the last list, but there was a rap track on there as well. It's really whether you think 4 songs from one genre is enough to destroy your thoughts on a 30-song list.

If anything, the 3rd section is where I heard the most negative sentiments, which was the mostly college/alt rock section.

You're right that I could've chosen a better R.E.M. song, but I was focusing on trying to balance songs with mood. Were you comparing this list to the last one, or judging it by its own merits? I'm not knocking either line of thinking, since I factor that into my voting as well, just wanna know how you chose.

Again, I'm not bitter about anything, or don't think I deserve to move on in my group above the two winners, because those lists are both awesome and I voted for them nearly every step of the way anyway. The last thing I want to come across is as a sore loser, especially when I've had "success" or whatever you'd like to call it in this contest in the past - if anything, I'm glad a list like El-Mel's is getting the credit it deserves after he, I believe, wrongly didn't make it out of his group last year.

If anything, the 3rd section is where I heard the most negative sentiments, which was the mostly college/alt rock section.

Actually I agree with this. I didn't really relate to that section too much.

You're right that I could've chosen a better R.E.M. song, but I was focusing on trying to balance songs with mood.

Ah okay. Yeah that's what I knew you were doing. The song must've just fit better with the neighboring songs!

Were you comparing this list to the last one, or judging it by its own merits? I'm not knocking either line of thinking, since I factor that into my voting as well, just wanna know how you chose.

I dunno. I just remembered that I liked your list last time and was glad to be exposed to a whole lot of new music... all the soul and funk I think, which aren't my specialties, lol. But this time I didn't feel a good part of your list.. I suppose sections 1 and 3.

Btw, I don't mean to drag this on or anything. Just because I didn't relate to your list much this time doesn't mean you didn't put out a great list yet again. It's all subjective anyway.

Ah okay. Yeah that's what I knew you were doing. The song must've just fit better with the neighboring songs!

Yeah. I was contemplating putting R.E.M. on there, since I didn't have any Dylan, Springsteen, Stones, or other staples on there as well, but it kind of fell into place there.

I dunno. I just remembered that I liked your list last time and was glad to be exposed to a whole lot of new music... all the soul and funk I think, which aren't my specialties, lol. But this time I didn't feel a good part of your list.. I suppose sections 1 and 3.

Totally fair. Others, however, felt my last list was too contrived, and it's interesting to see different opinions on that.

Btw, I don't mean to drag this on or anything. Just because I didn't relate to your list much this time doesn't mean you didn't put out a great list yet again. It's all subjective anyway.

Oh, I understand. I was just wondering where the adverse reactions could come from, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom