Desert Island V Album Game: Round 5, Match 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the playlist you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the third match of the fifth round for Interference Desert Island V! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

For every win, each player will receive three points. If there is a tie, each player gets two points. If a player loses a match but is within three votes of the winner, that player will earn a single point.

At the beginning of each round, I will include the updated standings. Remember, the top two from each group moves on to the quarterfinals.

phanan and Mr. V face off in our third match, which will determine the seeding in Group 2. Below are their playlists.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each playlist flows, feel free to check out the Desert Island website. :)

Forum name: phanan

Beach Sequence

1. Dire Straits – “Telegraph Road” – Love Over Gold (14:18)
2. Rush – “Red Barchetta” – Moving Pictures (6:10)
3. The Police – “Walking On The Moon” – Regatta De Blanc (5:02)
4. Chalk FarM – “Lie On Lie” – Notwithstanding (4:22)
5. Live – “Selling The Drama” – Throwing Copper (3:25)
6. The Caulfields – “Devil’s Diary” – Whirligig (3:36)
7. Oasis – “Some Might Say” – Morning Glory (5:29)
8. U2 – “Stay (Faraway, So Close)” – Zooropa (4:59)
9. Death Cab For Cutie – “Your New Twin Sized Bed” – Narrow Stairs (3:06)
10. Better Than Ezra – “Misunderstood” – Closer (3:45)
11. Editors – “The Racing Rats” – An End Has A Start (4:17)
12. Elbow – “One Day Like This” – The Seldom Seen Kid (6:34)
13. The Notwist – “Pick Up The Phone” – Neon Golden (3:55)
14. M83 – “Skin Of The Night” – Saturdays=Youth (6:12)
15. Goldfrapp – “A&E” – The Seventh Tree (3:16)
16. Dirty Vegas – “Simple Things Part 2” – Dirty Vegas (6:25)
17. The Offspring – “Intermission” – Ixnay On The Hombre (0:48)
18. Slade – “Run Runaway” – Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply (5:00)
19. Kasabian – “Reason Is Treason” – Kasabian (4:35)
20. Led Zeppelin – “Houses Of The Holy” – Physical Graffiti (4:02)
21. Golden Earring – “Twilight Zone” – Cut (7:52)
22. Red Hot Chili Peppers – “Universally Speaking” – By The Way (4:17)
23. Okkervil River – “Unless It’s Kicks” – The Stage Names (4:36)
24. Spoon – “Rhthm & Soul” – Ga Ga Ga Ga (3:30)
25. Creedence Clearwater Revival – “Down On The Corner” – Willy And The Poorboys (2:45)
26. Elvis Presley – “Little Sister” – 2nd To None (2:32)
27. Bruce Springsteen – “Open All Night” – Nebraska (2:51)
28. The Beatles – “Hey Bulldog” – Yellow Submarine (3:11)
29. Blues Image – “Ride Captain Ride” – Open (3:45)
30. Gerry Rafferty – “Baker Street” – City To City (6:01)
31. The Shins – “Red Rabbits” – Wincing The Night Away (4:30)
32. Mute Math – “Picture” – Mute Math (5:24)
33. Bloc Party – “Ion Square” – Intimacy (6:33)

Forum name: Mr. V

Ever since I was hooked by the film High Fidelity, I've wanted to start making and sharing compilation tapes. When I got word that Interference had a contest for this very artform, I was hard within seconds. So I committed to taking part in this contest, and when I began, I was planning on having no plan - that is, chucking some of my favourite songs together and trying to make them flow. However, for some reason I couldn't get that to work, so I soon threw that out the window, and started on a sort-of concept album. It's about love, girls, that whole chestnut. I tried to reflect it in the album art, which I whipped together quickly in Paint one night when I was bored, and I quite like, really. I didn't realise it at the time but it's inspired by/a ripoff of Is This It by The Strokes, one of my favourite albums (whose songs of which I couldn't find any room for here, unfortunately).

It follows a loose story - guy wants girl, guy gets girl, guy likes girl, guy has problems with girl, guy and girl are over. Most of us have been there to a degree. It's nothing particularly innovative - in fact, probably a bit overplayed - but I'm 18, and at the moment it's who I am and what I'm feeling, and to be honest it wouldn't be right for me to put out some pretentious bullshit for the sake of impressing you guys. In terms of music, this is a real mixed bag, to an extent. While there's no insane genre-crossing, there's songs from different eras, countries and genres. I tried to make the selection a mixture of my favourite songs, the best songs from a few of the artists, and a few songs that I don't think too many of you would have heard. Sadly there's a lot of songs or artists I couldn't fit in here - not because of time restraints but because they just didn't fit. Oh well, there's always next time - for which I'm already planning...

The end result is something that I'm really happy with. I was planning to to be short (between 40-50 minutes, like most albums, sorta), but towards the end I remembered a few old favourites and found a way to throw them in, so it just clocks in at around an hour and ten minutes. Even though I'm very fond of this playlist - it's something I've lived with and toyed with and listened to for around a month now - I'm all ears in terms of feedback, not only for song choice (even though I think all the songs here are rad), but for the order and the cohesiveness and all that. Given it's my first such playlist, I think it's only fair. In fact, that's one of the things that makes these contests so attractive to me. If I can pick up a handful of new songs, a few new favourite artists, and find new ways of listening to old favourites, then it doesn't matter if I don't make it out of the group stages, or win the whole bloody thing.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed putting it together. I give you... All You Ever Wanted.

1. Bloc Party - "This Modern Love" - Silent Alarm (4:25)
2. Coldplay - "Shiver" - Parachutes (5:00)
3. Frightened Rabbit - "Keep Yourself Warm" - The Midnight Organ Fight (5:33)
4. Echo & the Bunnymen - "Silver" - Ocean Rain (3:21)
5. Hunters & Collectors - "Throw Your Arms Around Me" - Human Frailty (3:50)
6. Crowded House - "I Feel Possessed" - Recurring Dream: The Very Best of Crowded House (3:48)
7. The Beatles - "Something" - Abbey Road (3:03)
8. James - "Laid" - Laid (2:37)
9. Franz Ferdinand - "Fade Together" - You Could Have It So Much Better (3:04)
10. The Last Shadow Puppets - "My Mistakes Were Made For You" - The Age of the Understatement (3:05)
11. Arctic Monkeys - "Do Me A Favour" - Favourite Worst Nightmare (3:27)
12. Reverend and the Makers - "Sex With The Ex" - The State of Things (4:07)
13. LCD Soundsystem - "Someone Great" - Sound of Silver (6:26)
14. Joy Division - "Love Will Tear Us Apart" - Substance (3:28)
15. Bruce Springsteen - "Downbound Train" - Born in the U.S.A. (3:38)
16. Elvis Costello - "Alison" - My Aim Is True (3:26)
17. U2 - "With or Without You" - The Joshua Tree (4:56)
18. The Black Keys - "All You Ever Wanted" - Attack & Release (2:56)

Total runtime: 1:09:59

UP NEXT: KhanadaRhodes vs. impy13

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom