Desert Island V Album Game: Round 5, Match 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the playlist you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the first match of the fifth and final round for Interference Desert Island V! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

For every win, each player will receive three points. If there is a tie, each player gets two points. If a player loses a match but is within three votes of the winner, that player will earn a single point.

In the last four matches of Round 4 (all include Ali's vote manually added), Axver edged The Sad Punk, 6-5; AtomicBono held off Lancemc, 7-5; bono_212 crushed Screwtape2, 12-1; and hardyharhar defeated RegularBonoFan, 8-3. The Sad Punk and Lancemc received a single point for finishing within three votes of the winner.

Here are our current standings:

Our final round starts off with a bang, as phillyfan26 squares off against LemonMacPhisto. Below are their playlists.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each playlist flows, feel free to check out the Desert Island website. :)

Forum name: phillyfan26

Frank, They're Going to Experience My Concept

Concept:
A man wakes from a coma, and, through a series of events, races in the street.

Personnel:
Lead Vocals - The Amendment
Backing Vocals - Kate Bush
Lead Guitar - Info
Rhythm Guitar - Bono
Bass Guitar - YLB
Drums - NSFW
Lyrics - Soulja Boy
Producer - Del tha Funkee Homosapien
Engineers - Lance and Laz
Rhetoric - Chrissy Martin (with intedomine)
Special Thanks to Al Pacino, Jerry Seinfeld, and $ting

1. Various Artists – "The Star Spangled Banner" – God Bless America (United We Stand!) Volume 1 (1:27)
2. Explosions in the Sky – "First Breath After Coma" – The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place (9:34)
3. Arcade Fire – "Une Année Sans Lumiere" – Funeral (3:41)
4. Radiohead – "Electioneering" – OK Computer (3:51)
5. David Bowie – "Teenage Wildlife" – Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) (6:54)
6. John Frusciante – "Time Goes Back" – Shadows Collide With People (3:23)
7. Coldplay – "Don't Panic" – Parachutes (2:17)
8. Franz Ferdinand – "Eleanor Put Your Boots On" – You Could Have It So Much Better (2:50)
9. Led Zeppelin – "Over the Hills and Far Away" – Mothership (Remastered) (4:48)
10. Red Hot Chili Peppers – "Wet Sand" – Stadium Arcadium (5:10)
11. The Edge – "One Foot in Heaven" – Captive (5:10)
12. Gorillaz – "El Mañana" – Demon Days (3:50)
13. Passengers – "Always Forever Now" – Original Soundtracks 1 (6:26)
14. Ours – "Willing" – Mercy (Dancing for the Death of an Imaginary Enemy) (4:41)
15. U2 – "Rejoice" – October (3:38)
16. …And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead – "So Divided" – Friday Night Lights (Original Television Soundtrack) (6:31)
17. Pink Floyd – "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" – Animals (11:28)
18. Queen – "Death on Two Legs (Dedicated To…)" – A Night at the Opera (3:42)
19. Pearl Jam – "Even Flow" – Ten (4:54)
20. The Who – "Who Are You" – The Ultimate Collection (Disc 2) (6:21)
21. The Bravery – "An Honest Mistake" – The Bravery (3:44)
22. Moving Pictures – "Never" – Footloose (15th Anniversary Collectors Edition) (3:47)
23. Genesis – "That's All" – Genesis (4:25)
24. The Police – "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" – Every Breath You Take: The Singles (4:20)
25. Steely Dan – "Josie" – Aja (4:32)
26. Chicago – "Feelin' Stronger Everyday" – Greatest Hits Vol. 1 (4:17)
27. R.E.M. – "Life and How to Live It" – Fables of the Reconstruction (4:08)
28. The Beatles – "Here Comes the Sun" – 1967-1970 (Disc 2) (3:07)
29. Bob Dylan – "Tangled Up in Blue" – Blood on the Tracks (5:44)
30. Bruce Springsteen – "Racing in the Street" – Darkness on the Edge of Town (6:55)

Total Runtime: 2:25:22

Forum name: LemonMacPhisto

Hey fellas, I’m back again with another list for you guys. This time around, I wanted to try and make a list that’s fun to listen to, diverse, and well constructed. This contest has always been a fun creative exercise for me, and I think this is the most fun I’ve had creating a list and its peripherals. Originally, this was a 2 CD set split with 18 songs each, but the length went over on the 1st disc, so that was shot. Instead, I broke it up into 4 sections and used that as an opportunity to make some covers for each:

The first section is more dance/electronica-oriented, with a shot from Predator serving as the cover, which actually served as the music video for Ratatat’s “Mirando.”

The second section is a darker progression, with the shot of Jaws serving as visual irony for this section’s title. “Please” is meant to end the first half, not really meaning to go into the Weezer track well at all.

The third section digs more into that ‘90s alt rock sound then ending with Adam Sandler’s magnum opus, “The Goat Song;” the cover here comes from Fight Club.

The final section takes a more lighter approach and is my favorite part of the entire list; the cover is a shot from Raging Bull, referencing the closing line in Jake La Motta’s opening monologue.
So yeah, that’s about it. I hope you all enjoy listening to the list and give me some feedback on what you liked, didn’t like, etc… I’m incredibly psyched to hear everyone else’s lists and get crackin’.

LMP / YLB Presents:

Hollywood Freaks

1. Hot Chip - “Over and Over” - The Warning (5:48)
2. The Beastie Boys - “Hey Ladies” - Paul’s Boutique (3:48)
3. Beck - “Hollywood Freaks (ft. The Dust Brothers)” - Midnite Vultures (4:00)
4. The Roots - “Quills” - Phrenology (4:22)
5. Ratatat - “Mirando” - LP3 (3:52)
6. Mute Math - “Peculiar People” - Reset [EP] (4:36)
7. Kanye West - “Diamonds from Sierra Leone (Remix)” - Late Registration (3:53)
8. David Bowie - “I’m Afraid of Americans (Nine Inch Nails V1 Mix)” - Earthling [Bonus Tracks] (5:30)
9. Gorillaz - “Clint Eastwood (ft. Del the Funky Homosapien)” - Gorillaz (5:44)

Total Time: 41:28

Comfy in Nautica

10. Panda Bear - “Comfy in Nautica” - Person Pitch (4:05)
11. King Crimson - “21st Century Schizoid Man” - In the Court of the Crimson King (7:22)
12. Charles Mingus & RZA - “II B.S. (RZA's Mingus Bounce Mix)" - Impulsive! Revolutionary Jazz Reworked (3:23)
13. The Beatles - “I Am the Walrus” - Magical Mystery Tour [EP] (4:35)
14. Thom Yorke - “And It Rained All Night” - The Eraser (4:21)
15. Moby - “One of These Mornings (ft. Patti LaBelle)” - Miami Vice [Soundtrack] (4:01)
16. Seal - “Killer (Single Version)” - Killer [Single] (4:19)
17. Peter Gabriel - “Zaar” - Passion: Music from ‘The Last Temptation of Christ’ (4:53)
18. U2 - “Please (Single)” - Please [Single] (5:50)

Total Time: 42:42

Blow Out

19. Weezer - “The Greatest Man That Ever Lived (Variations of a Shaker Hymn)” - Weezer (The Red Album) (5:52)
20. Pavement - “Cut Your Hair” - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (3:07)
21. The Replacements - “Bastards of Young” - Tim (3:38)
22. PJ Harvey - “Kamikaze” - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea (2:24)
23. Radiohead - “Blow Out” - Pablo Honey (4:42)
24. Sonic Youth - “Dirty Boots” - Goo (5:30)
25. R.E.M. - “New Orleans Instrumental No. 1” - Automatic for the People (2:15)
26. Roy Orbison - “In Dreams” - In Dreams (2:50)
27. Adam Sandler - “The Goat Song” - What’s Your Name? (7:49)

Total Time: 38:04

That’s Entertainment

28. The Flaming Lips - “Waitin’ for a Superman (“Is It Getting’ Heavy?”) (4:17)
29. The Waterboys - “Beverly Penn” - This Is the Sea [Bonus Tracks] (5:40)
30. Arcade Fire - “(Antichrist Television Blues)” - Neon Bible (5:10)
31. The Jam - “That’s Entertainment” - Sound Affects (3:13)
32. The Shins - “Kissing the Lipless” - Chutes Too Narrow (3:19)
33. Sufjan Stevens - “John Wayne Gacy, Jr.” - Illinois (3:20)
34. Simon & Garfunkel - “Old Friends / Bookends” - Bookends (3:58)
35. The Kinks - “Shangri-La” - Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire) (5:21)
36. Pink Floyd - “Eclipse” - Dark Side of the Moon (2:01)

Total Time: 36:14

UP NEXT: GirlsAloudFan vs. DreamOutLoud13

Competition master list.

Have fun!

For Group 1, it comes down to this.

If GAF loses his match, pfan and LMP are in.

But if GAF wins, the scenarios get interesting. If pfan wins this match by more than three votes, it would be him and GAF moving on. If LMP wins by more than three, he would move on, and it would come down to the vote differential between pfan and GAF.

If pfan wins by less than three, LMP gets a vote, and it would come down to vote differential again, this time between LMP and GAF. If LMP wins by less than three, he and pfan move on.

I have to choose between my fellow Musketeers? :scream:

Basically, my vote had to come down to song quality because, flow-wise, both of you did a very good job. In the song department, it was also quite close but, unfortunately for Pfan, tracks 21-24 of his list were enough to throw it off for me. LMP gets my vote.

This shit is whack.

Good luck, YLB.

You too, sir.

You know, we are sitting here, you and I, like a couple of regular fellas. You do what you do, and I do what I gotta do. And now that we've been face to face, if I'm there and I gotta put you away, I won't like it. But I tell you, if it's between you and some poor bastard whose wife you're gonna turn into a widow, brother, you are going down.

HOO-AH!

You too, sir.

You know, we are sitting here, you and I, like a couple of regular fellas. You do what you do, and I do what I gotta do. And now that we've been face to face, if I'm there and I gotta put you away, I won't like it. But I tell you, if it's between you and some poor bastard whose wife you're gonna turn into a widow, brother, you are going down.

HOO-AH!

There is a flip side to that coin. What if you do got me boxed in, and I gotta put you down? 'Cause no matter what, you will not get in my way. We've been face to face, yeah. But I will not hesitate. Not for a second.

LMP, usually I like your lists a lot. I really loved your last one I think, the one with Bobby Womack on it? Anyway, this time I'm not feeling many of the songs. I have to say kudos for including Seal's Killer though! :drool: But pfan just has more songs I like. So pfan it is.

There is a flip side to that coin. What if you do got me boxed in, and I gotta put you down? 'Cause no matter what, you will not get in my way. We've been face to face, yeah. But I will not hesitate. Not for a second.

What the fuck is that? Barbeques and ballgames?

LMP, usually I like your lists a lot. I really loved your last one I think, the one with Bobby Womack on it? Anyway, this time I'm not feeling many of the songs. I have to say kudos for including Seal's Killer though! :drool: But pfan just has more songs I like. So pfan it is.

Yep, that was the last one.

For Group 1, it comes down to this.

If GAF loses his match, pfan and LMP are in.

But if GAF wins, the scenarios get interesting. If pfan wins this match by more than three votes, it would be him and GAF moving on. If LMP wins by more than three, he would move on, and it would come down to the vote differential between pfan and GAF.

If pfan wins by less than three, LMP gets a vote, and it would come down to vote differential again, this time between LMP and GAF. If LMP wins by less than three, he and pfan move on.

Wow, that's some crazy shit right there. Sounds like one of those annoying word problems from the SAT. :wink: Good luck to errrrbody.

These are two of my favorite lists, but I gotta go with Mr. Soon-to-be-in-the-World-Series-Philly-Fan.

Well, it's no secret that I like both of these playlists. This is, in my opinion, pfan's best entry yet, and I hope he's able to move on.

But I think LMP has one of the best playlists in the entire competition, not just due to songs, but also in conception and construction. He gets my vote here.

Indeed, I'm just messing around. It's not like The Alien Rapist list is going on in place of mine or something... both were really awesome.

You know, I don't want there to be any hard feelings between us, YLB. When you were losing to me, I was sitting in Gordon's cage.

You know, I don't want there to be any hard feelings between us, YLB. When you were losing to me, I was sitting in Gordon's cage.

A little fight in you. I like that... now get off your fucking shine box.

Wham!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom