Desert Island V Album Game: Round 1, Match 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the playlist you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the eighth and final match of the first round for Interference Desert Island V! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

For every win, each player will receive three points. If there is a tie, each player gets two points. If a player loses a match but is within three votes of the winner, that player will earn a single point.

At the beginning of each round, I will include the updated standings. Remember, the top two from each group moves on to the quarterfinals.

One final note: If you haven't listened to all the playlists, and you don't think you'll have time to get through them, I would urge everyone to at least review how each playlist is structured and, if possible, to check out the sequencing and flow of the songs. I'd also take the time to listen to a song by an artist you are unfamiliar with, or any song by an artist you usually dislike, as sometimes you may hear something you never thought you would have from that artist.

In Match 6, Axver dominated Lancemc, winning by the score of 11-3.

Our eighth match has Retro runner-up hardyharhar facing off against bono_212. Below are their playlists.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each playlist flows, feel free to check out the Desert Island website. :)

Forum name: hardyharhar

Hardy Har Har's Desert Island 5 Playlist

With about a day to get this thing together, the only theme I could come up with was to be loosely semi-autobiographical through songs I've known and loved. A few that take me to specific places. Brought back a couple from my retro set. Lifted The Pretender's from Vintage Punk's. I think this list would be a great set to take a long drive to. It may have changed a bit if I had more time but I like it just the same. Hope you enjoy some of it.

Part One - Awakening (Whatever you say, Kath)
Still under the influence of my big sister, I'm dependent on her collection and I spend many hours daydreaming to her more folk leaning LPs. However, her parties during the 60's at our house and friends who attended open my eyes to a world I wanted to be a part of, but would have to wait 'til 1971 & high school for. I'm able to observe the summer of love
from a distance.

1. The Everly Brothers - "All I Have To Do Is Dream" - The Everly Brothers' Best (2:22)
2. Music Explosion - "Little Bit O' Soul" - Little Bit O' Soul (2:21)
3. The Beach Boys - "Don't Worry Baby" - The Absolute Best Vol. 1 (2:48)
4. The Beatles - "You Can't Do That" - A Hard Day's Night (2:38)
5. The Doors - "Hello, I Love You" - Greatest Hits (2:15)
6. Cream - "Strange Brew" - Disraeli Gears (2:49)
7. The Who - "Substitute" - Live At Leeds (2:07)
8. Pink Floyd - "See Emily Play" - Relics (2:53)
9. Elton John - "I Need You To Turn To" - Elton John (2:33)

Part Two - Reckoning (hey man, schoolday's insane, hey man, my work's down the drain)

The day I turned 16, I got my driver's license and that night I began a food delivery job with older guys. This was the catalyst to a downward spiral that lasted a decade or so. King Missile's Cheesecake Truck fit nicely. Mott the Hoople's All the Way From Memphis was the song playing as I walked into my first high school party. Editions of You was a Roxy live staple and is from their 2nd & final album with Eno. The rest, groups and songs I liked during the70's & early 80's.

Already a big Zep fan, Led Zeppelin was not my first concert. However, it was the concert that showed me exactly what I had been searching for. Like U2's Elevation tour, Zep strolled out onto the stage to no hoopla, Bonham burst into the opening beats of Rock 'n Roll, a song I loved, and a fairly naive 17 year old was instantly blown away. This version's first minute or so takes me right back to that moment I remember so well. The excitement of the crowd's roar, Plant's initial wails, the instantaneous maelstrom of teenage anarchy all
around my girlfriend and I. Everything and anything going on. No parents around with their kids in those days. Ha!

One constant through these years was the music. Great shows, bands & songs all the way through those crazy nights. I've ended it with the obvious and wonderful Rock 'n Roll Suicide. By my late 20's, I knew this lifestyle had to end.

10. King Missile "Cheesecake Truck" -Mystical Shit / Fluting on the Hump (1:11)
11. Mott The Hoople "All The Way From Memphis" -Mott (5:00)
12. Roxy Music "Editions of You" -For Your Pleasure (3:49)
13. Jim Hendrix "Fire" -Experience Hendrix: The Best Of Jimi Hendrix (2:44)
14. Led Zeppelin "Rock 'n' Roll" -How The West Was Won [Disc 3] (3:56)
15. The Rolling Stones "Rip This Joint" -Exile On Main Street (2:23)
16. The Cramps "Can Your Pussy Do the Dog?" -A Date With Elvis (3:25)
17. Stray Cats "Stray Cat Strut" -Stray Cats (3:18)
18. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers "American Girl" -Greatest Hits (3:29)
19. The Kinks "Sleepwalker" -Sleepwalker (4:04)
20. Pretenders "Precious" -Pretenders (3:37)
21. Queen "Keep Yourself Alive" -Classic Queen (3:46)
22. Squeeze "Is That Love" -Singles 45's And Under (2:33)
23. The English Beat "Best Friend" -I Just Can't Stop It (3:02)
24. Elvis Costello "Wednesday Week" -Taking Liberties (2:05)
25. The Cure "Fire In Cairo" -Boys Don't Cry (3:21)
26. The Clash "Somebody Got Murdered" -Sandinista [Disc 1] (3:33)
27. Midnight Oil "My Country" - Earth And Sun And Moon (4:51)
28. David Bowie "Rock & Roll Suicide" -Ziggy Stardust (3:02)

Part Three - Redemption (Life Gets Better, Yeah!)

I don't know what Lila saw in me, but she liked me and basically saved me in everyway that a person can be saved (lifted from Titanic, lol). So I've included here songs & groups we have enjoyed together. And our greatest achievement - Maddy, an angel sent to us from heaven - contributed a couple of songs I like quite a bit, turning me on to Speed of Sound, Storm in a Teacup, and Shut Up and Drive. I'm a lucky guy.

29. Vangelis "Chariots Of Fire" -Themes (3:31)
30. Mike Oldfield "Arrival" -QE2 (2:49)
31. Crowded House "Distant Sun" -Together Alone (3:50)
32. U2 "One Tree Hill" -Joshua Tree (5:23)
33. Oasis "Don't Look Back In Anger" -(What's The Story) Morning Glory? (4:48)
34. Coldplay "Speed Of Sound" -X & Y (4:49)
35. Pearl Jam "I Am Mine" -Rearviewmirror: Greatest HIts 1991-2003 Disc 2 (3:36)
36. Audioslave "Doesn't Remind Me" -Out Of Exile (4:16)
37. The Chemical Brothers "Orange Wedge" -Surrender (3:07)
38. EMF "Unbelieveable" -Schubert Dip (3:28)
39. Inspiral Carpets "Keep The Circle Around" -The John Peel Sessions-V/A (3:32)
40. Smashing Pumpkins "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" -Rotten Apples: Greatest Hits (4:17)
41. Muse "Supermassive Black Hole" -Black Holes & Revelations (3:29)
42. Radiohead "Bones" -The Bends (3:11)
43. Nirvana "On A Plain" -Nevermind (3:16)
44. Love And Rockets "No New Tale To Tell" -Earth Sun Moon (3:28)
45. The Raconteurs "Salute Your Solution" -Consolers Of The Lonely (3:00)
46. The White Stripes "Girl, You Have No Faith In Medicine" -Elephant (3:18)
47. Red Hot Chili Peppers "Storm In A Teacup" -Stadium Arcadium [Disc2] (3:45)
48. Rihanna "Shut Up & Drive" -Good Girl Gone Bad (3:32)

Time: 2:39:56

Forum name: bono_212

This list was my attempt to REALLY make a list of songs I like. I realize I've said this about each list, but I really feel that it wasn't true for either of the previous competitions, especially DI 4, as I knowingly attempted to make a list others would like, and in turn, did not actually enjoy myself. This time I've stripped most of that away, and created a list that not only I enjoy (a
great deal) but that I also think others can find something to like about as well. There was a conscious effort however to keep the lighter tracks on one disc and the semi-heavier ones on a second, hence the split.

Also I used this list as an attempt to pay homage to some bands I've recently really begun to love, such as The Dresden Dolls and The National.

Finally, the Meat Loaf song is on there for a reason. I wanted to put songs I love on the list, and not try to do something that I'm not, like I did last time. So I picked what I hoped would be the most extreme song by him, but what also happened to be one of my favorite songs by him, as sort of a part of all that. I almost didn't do it, as I realized how much people would hate the song, but at the same time, it felt wrong to myself to leave it off, and so, please bare with its inclusion.

There's nothing else I can think to say so I just hope you can find something to like, and just generally enjoy listening. Oh! One more thing, the cover art for disc two, as well as pretty much all of the song placement were contributed/Constructed by LemonMelon, before he came along, it was one disjointed mess.

Tonight I Have To Leave It

1. Shout Out Louds - "Tonight I Have To Leave It - Our Ill Wills (3:34)
2. Bell X1 - "Rocky Took A Lover" - Flock (4:11)
3. Muse - "Starlight" - Black Holes & Revelations (4:00)
4. The Bravery - "No Breaks" - The Bravery (3:05)
5. The Dresden Dolls - "Lonesome Organist Rapes Page Turner" - No, Virginia (3:42)
6. Meat Loaf - "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" - Bat Out Of Hell III: The Monster's Loose (6:06)
7. Passengers - "Your Blue Room" - Passengers: Original Soundtracks I (5:28)
8. Aerosmith - "Dream On" - Greatest Hits (4:28)
9. Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Otherside" - Californication (4:15)
10. Modest Mouse - "Dashboard" - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank (4:06)
11. Everclear - "Father of Mine" - So Much For The Afterglow (3:51)
12. Blue October - "She's My Ride Home" - Foiled (4:42)
13. Pure Reason Revolution - "Nimos and Tambos" - The Dark Third (3:45)
14. Crowded House - "Can't Carry On" - Crowded House (3:57)
15. Electric Light Orchestra - "Mr. Blue Sky" - Out of the Blue (5:06)
16. Traveling Wilburys - "End Of The Line" - The Traveling Wilburys Collection (3:28)
17. Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Have You Ever Seen The Rain" - Pendulum (2:40)
18. Bob Dylan - "Shelter From The Storm" - Essential Bob Dylan (5:03)
19. Gordon Lightfoot - "If You Could Read My Mind" - Rhino Hi-Five: Gordon
Lightfoot (3:49)

Within You

1. The Rolling Stones - "You Can't Always Get What You Want" - Let It Bleed (7:29)
2. Arcade Fire - "Keep The Car Running" - Neon Bible (3:29)
3. Dream Theater - "Wait For Sleep" - Images And Words (2:32)
4. Peter Gabriel - "Book of Love" - Shall We Dance (3:37)
5. R.E.M. - "Nightswimming" - Automatic For The People (4:18)
6. Simon & Garfunkel - "The Sound Of Silence" - The Graduate (3:07)
7. Pink Floyd - "Comfortably Numb" - The Wall (Disc 2) (6:24)
8. The National - "Fake Empire" - Boxer (3:25)
9. Porcupine Tree - "Collapse The Light Into Earth" - In Absentia (5:53)
10. U2 - "Acrobat" - Achtung Baby (4:30)
11. The Killers - "Smile Like You Mean It" - Hot Fuss (3:55)
12. Snow Patrol - "Beginning To Get To Me" - Eyes Open (4:36)
13. David Bowie - "Within You" - Labyrinth (3:30)
14. The Smiths - "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" - The Queen Is Dead (4:03)
15. Our Lady Peace - "4 AM" - A Decade (4:16)
16. Bruce Springsteen - "Atlantic City" - The Essential Bruce Springsteen (3:57)
17. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - "Insider" - Hard Promises (4:23)
18. Dire Straits - "Romeo & Juliet" - Making Movies (5:54)

Total Runtime: 2:38:13

UP NEXT: Zootlesque vs. LemonMacPhisto

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Oh man! This is possibly the toughest matchup yet! Hardy's classic list vs. what is arguably Ashley's best list so far. :crazy:

Ashley, this is your best playlist by far, and I firmly believe you're going to do well this time around. You're unfortunately up against hardy right now, though, who has an outstanding list.

On a side note, I think hardy set a record with 48 songs in one playlist. Wow.

bono212cover1nu3.jpg

This is really ugly.

That's all I have to say for now. Sorry.

Sorry B212, I really like your list but Hardy's is my favorite in the whole competition. Tough draw.

A reminder to anyone who either doesn't remember or hasn't been in this before. I skip weekends, as it generally gets slower around here from Friday night-Sunday night. So the first two matches of Round 2 will appear sometime Monday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom