Desert Island V Album Game: Round 1, Match 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the playlist you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the seventh match of the first round for Interference Desert Island V! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

For every win, each player will receive three points. If there is a tie, each player gets two points. If a player loses a match but is within three votes of the winner, that player will earn a single point.

At the beginning of each round, I will include the updated standings. Remember, the top two from each group moves on to the quarterfinals.

One final note: If you haven't listened to all the playlists, and you don't think you'll have time to get through them, I would urge everyone to at least review how each playlist is structured and, if possible, to check out the sequencing and flow of the songs. I'd also take the time to listen to a song by an artist you are unfamiliar with, or any song by an artist you usually dislike, as sometimes you may hear something you never thought you would have from that artist.

LemonMelon captured his first victory of the competition by crushing The Sad Punk, 12-2, in the fifth match.

Match 7 has Screwtape2 squaring off against RegularBonoFan. Below are their playlists.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each playlist flows, feel free to check out the Desert Island website. :)

Forum name: Screwtape2

Messages From Earth

Like words on the wind, the silence is broken by what has been carried away and suddenly found. A message in a bottle from an island called Earth. They are the scream, the rapist and the violator. The tortured caught between two worlds. This is a poem without rhyme scattered. A story in pieces told in masks now lost like tears in the rain. It has no meaning. It has no message. It serves no purpose except that in the chance moment that those far from this island called Earth may feel the same thing from the same note and the same sound even if they never understand it. Words like dreams live on in a sound, in a note. These messages from Earth surrender themselves to you.

1. Utopia – “Star Trek Theme”- Demos & Lost Albums (4:04)
2. U2 – “Zooropa” - Zooropa (6:32)
3. Pink Floyd – “On The Run” - Dark Side of The Moon (3:33)
4. Coldplay – “Square One” - X & Y (4:47)
5. NASA – “Greetings/ Whale Greetings” - Murmurs of Earth (4:05)
6. Yes – “Soon” - YesYears (4:06)
7. Coro Yamaguchi – “Cranes In Their Nest” - Murmurs of Earth (5:08)
8. The Hollies – “Wings” - 30th Anniversity Collection (3:01)
9. Colin Turnbull - “Pygmy Girls’ Initiation Song” – Murmurs of Earth (1:01)
10. Robert MacLennan – “Men’s House Song” - Murmurs of Earth (1:26)
11. Todd Rundgren – “In And Out The Chakras We Go (Formerly: Shaft Goes To Outer Space)” - Todd (5:48)
12. Willard Rhodes – “Navajo Night Chant” - Murmurs of Earth (1:01)
13. Peter Gabriel – “Birdy’s Flight” - Birdy (3:03)
14. Sandra LeBrun Holmes – “Morning Star And Devil Bird” - Murmurs of Earth (1:30)
15. Sigur Ros – “Hun Joro” - Von (7:20)
16. Jose Maria Arquedas – “Panpipes and Drum Song” - Murmurs of Earth (0:55)
17. Amanda Palmer – “Astronaut” - Who Killed Amanda Palmer (4:37)
18. Vangelis – “Tears in Rain” - Blade Runner Soundtrack (3:01)
19. Genesis – “Watcher Of The Skies” - Foxtrot (7:23)
20. Kate Bush – “Hello Earth” - Hounds Of Love (6:13)

Total Time: 1:18:29

Forum name: RegularBonoFan

Cosmology's Big Surprise

It's a musical journey. *ducks tomatoes* Alright, alright. It's a 7-EP trip through rock history. Pretty much speaks for itself. I will now go listen to Porcupine Tree as penance for quoting Larry Mullen, Jnr.

EP 1: Who Are You?

1. Jimi Hendrix - "All Along The Watchtower" - Electric Ladyland (4:00)
2. Dana Fuchs - "Helter Skelter" - Across The Universe (Music From The Motion Picture) (3:42)
3. Rolling Stones - "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" - Out of Our Heads (3:44)
4. The Who - "My Generation" - My Generation (3:19)
5. Them - "Gloria" - The Angry Young Them (2:38)

Total Time: 17:23

EP 2: Comfortably Numb

1. The Velvet Underground - "I'm Waiting For The Man" - The Velvet Underground And Nico (4:39)
2. David Bowie - "Space Oddity" - David Bowie (Space Oddity) (5:15)
3. Pink Floyd - "Hey You" - The Wall (4:41)
4. The Beach Boys - "Feel Flows" Surf's Up (4:44)
5. Virgin Prunes - "Pagan Lovesong" - ..If I Die, I Die (3:28)

Total Time: 22:20

EP 3: Revolution Rock

1. Sex Pistols - "Anarchy In The U.K." - Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols (3:31)
2. Ramones - "I Wanna Be Sedated" - Road To Ruin (2:29)
3. The Clash - "The Guns of Brixton" - London Calling (3:07)
4. Green Day - "Holiday" - American Idiot (3:52)
5. A.F.I. - "Miss Murder" - Decemberunderground (3:26)

Total Time: 16:25

EP 4: Hell's Bells

1. AC/DC - "Back In Black" - Back In Black (4:15)
2. Metallica - "Enter Sandman" - Metallica (5:30)
3. Ozzy Osbourne - "Crazy Train" - Blizzard of Ozz (4:56)
4. Mötley Crüe - "Dr. Feelgood" - Dr. Feelgood (4:50)
5. Guns N' Roses - "Paradise City" - Appetite For Destruction (6:46)

Total Time: 26:17

EP 5: We Will Rock You

1. Led Zeppelin - "Kashmir" - Physical Graffiti (8:28)
2. Heart - "Barracuda" - Little Queen (4:23)
3. U2 - "Bullet The Blue Sky" - The Joshua Tree (4:32)
4. Queen - "Bohemian Rhapsody" - A Night At The Opera (5:54)
5. Aerosmith - "Dream On" - Aerosmith (4:27)

Total Time: 27:44

EP 6: Come As You Are

1. Nirvana - "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nevermind (5:01)
2. Pearl Jam - "Even Flow" - Ten (4:53)
3. Stone Temple Pilots - "Plush" - Core (5:13)
4. Foo Fighters - "DOA" - In Your Honor (4:13)
5. Smashing Pumpkins - "1979" - Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness (4:24)

Total Time: 23:44

EP 7: You Could Have It So Much Better

1. Franz Ferdinand - "The Dark of The Matinée" - Franz Ferdinand (4:03)
2. The Libertines - "What Became Of The Likely Lads" - The Libertines (3:15)
3. Modest Mouse - "Float On" - Good News For People Who Love Bad News (3:28)
4. Oasis - "Wonderwall" - (What's The Story) Morning Glory? (4:18)
5. The Smiths - "Cemetry Gates" - The Queen Is Dead (2:41)

Total Time: 17:43

Total runtime: 2:31:36

UP NEXT: hardyharhar vs. bono_212

Competition master list.

Have fun!

I really don't know who to vote for here. While Reggo has several songs I like and relate to, I think the arrangement is quite haphazard. Screwtape has a lot of stuff which I couldn't get into *cough* earth murmurs *cough* but the flow is better. And he ends with Hello Earth which is :combust: But Reggo has too many great songs though! Dark of the Matinee :drool:

One has great songs that are poorly strung together.

The other has terrible songs that are poorly strung together.

Reggo it is.

Ah, I'm just messing with you. :wink: I liked parts of your list well enough, and it would have flowed very well if not for the Murmurs Of Earth tracks.

I came in knowing that this might be one of those playlists that only I like. With the Murmur tracks and Todd's "wankery" :wink: My next playlist is probably my favorite but you never know how people will respond. :lol:

2 out of 20 ain't bad. Well, actually, 3. Watcher Of The Skies is a good song.

There are actually 7 good songs on Screwtape's list, as far as I'm concerned (although he used the butchered version of Soon - why?).

However, it doesn't save him from the other tracks. A concept is only as good as the tracks used. I couldn't survive on a desert island with those songs. Sorry.

Although if it was in CD form, it probably would make a good coaster for the margarita. :lol:

Reggo has more songs on hers that I enjoy, although she has her fair share of tunes that I could do without. But it's good enough to get my vote here.

The only good thing I know about Todd Rundgren is that he's from Upper Darby, my favorite town in America.

By the way, I really dug Reggo's list. I had almost 20 of the songs already, and the more songs I have, usually, the more to my taste it is.

Neither has great flow, but Reggo's is in my groove, my wheelhouse. Ya dig?

Reggo.

The only good thing I know about Todd Rundgren is that he's from Upper Darby, my favorite town in America.

By the way, I really dug Reggo's list. I had almost 20 of the songs already, and the more songs I have, usually, the more to my taste it is.

Neither has great flow, but Reggo's is in my groove, my wheelhouse. Ya dig?

Reggo.

The Alien Rapist agrees.

But seriously, I enjoyed a decent amount of the songs on Screw's list, but the rest as just lost on me. Call me narrow-minded, but hey, it happens.

Reggo's list was cool. Not one of my favorites, but it was a nice listen.

The Murmurs of Earth tracks kinda ruined Screwtape's list for me, unfortunately. And RegularBonoFan's stuff was wayyyy more my style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom