Desert Island V Album Game: Round 1, Match 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the playlist you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the fifth match of the first round for Interference Desert Island V! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

For every win, each player will receive three points. If there is a tie, each player gets two points. If a player loses a match but is within three votes of the winner, that player will earn a single point.

At the beginning of each round, I will include the updated standings. Remember, the top two from each group moves on to the quarterfinals.

One final note: If you haven't listened to all the playlists, and you don't think you'll have time to get through them, I would urge everyone to at least review how each playlist is structured and, if possible, to check out the sequencing and flow of the songs. I'd also take the time to listen to a song by an artist you are unfamiliar with, or any song by an artist you usually dislike, as sometimes you may hear something you never thought you would have from that artist.

The results of our third match had phanan defeating the tourist by the score of 12-2.

For Match 5, The Sad Punk makes her debut against LemonMelon. Below are their playlists.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each playlist flows, feel free to check out the Desert Island website. :)

Forum name: The Sad Punk

It's, like, there's like this concept where this guy falls in love, and is just completely rapt with this girl. And then he begins to realise that she's sleeping around, which just canes this guy. That's the first half. The second half, he delves into a world of womanising and gettingfuckedup that he didn't know existed beforehand. I actually had something written for this, but this will suffice, I think.

The two main genres are soul and shoegaze, but there's other stuff too. I have never really done something like this before, so I hope you can get something out of it.

I love interpretation, so I won't go with a track by track thing. Also, I'm desperately running out of time. But by the end of the second disc, I just imagine that the protagonist is nearly dead, ruined by an excess and longing of the woman he was with from tracks 2-8. The last instrumental part of "Time", the very final track, really could mean a lot of things. I don't know if it means he goes out again and does all that crazy shit, or if he's gone insane, or if he's killed himself, or killed someone else. Anyway, I figure it's not pretty.

I hope you enjoy this muchly.

Reason Never Knows

1. Ohio Players - "Never Had a Dream" - Pain (4:37)
2. O'Jays - "Sunshine" - Backstabbers (3:44)
3. Outkast - "SpottieOttieDopaliscious" - Aquemini (7:07)
4. Prince - "Do Me, Baby" - Single edit (3:56)
5. Leroy Hutson - "All Because of You" - Single (4:36)
6. Isley Brothers - "Footsteps In the Dark" - Go For Your Guns (5:05)
7. The Spinners - "It's a Shame" - The Definitive Soul Collection (3:12)
8. Four Freshmen - "Angel Eyes" - EP Collection (3:34)
9. Roy Orbison - "It's Over" - More of Roy Orbison's Greatest Hits (2:47)
10. Jackie Trent - "Make It Easy On Yourself" - Burt Bacharach Collection (2:46)
11. Fleet Foxes - "Mykonos" - Sun Giant (4:35)
12. Love - "You Set the Scene (alternative mix)" - Forever Changes [Remaster] (7:02)

Polluted Mist

1. The Beach Boys - "Sail On Sailor" - Holland (3:22)
2. Moose - "Polly" - ...XYZ (4:47)
3. Chapterhouse - "Treasure" - Whirlpool (6:25)
4. Curve - "Horror Head" - Doppelganger (3:44)
5. My Bloody Valentine - "Lose My Breath" - Isn't Anything (3:38)
6. Iggy Pop - "Funtime" - The Idiot (2:55)
7. Big Black - "The Model" - Songs About Fucking (2:35)
8. Husker Du - "Find Me" - Flip Your Wig (4:09)
9. Loop - "Soundhead" - Heaven's End (4:59)
10. Swervedriver - "Duress" - Mezcal Head (8:04)
11. Kitchens of Distinction - "Blue Pedal" - The Death of Cool (7:35)
12. Dennis Wilson - "Time" - Pacific Ocean Blue (3:34)

Total runtime: 105:13

Forum name: LemonMelon

The purpose of splitting these two sets up is to emphasize just how drastically different they are from one another, and that they provide two entirely different experiences. It is preferable to listen to them in a row (if you do, I suggest you listen to Super Massive Black Cherub Metal, and then ease your way in to #9 Dream) but listening to them separately doesn't do much to hurt the overall experience. Ultimately, I hope everyone finds something to love here, and that those who find one set less enjoyable than the other could at least discover some new music out of it.

Supermassive Black Cherub Metal

Not much to say about this playlist. It's just a set of good ol' fashioned rock n' roll that's consistently louder than anything I've entered previously; even the breaks in the loudness tend to be lo-fi and themselves filled with noise. But this is good, as there aren't any ballads awkwardly thrown in for the sake of variety. Sit back and crank this one up as loud as you can.

Track listing:

1. Smashing Pumpkins - "Cherub Rock" - Siamese Dream (4:57)
2. Pixies - "Broken Face" - Surfer Rosa (1:30)
3. Ween - "Dr. Rock" - The Pod (3:10)
4. Suede - "The Drowners" - Suede (4:09)
5. Sonic Youth - "Kool Thing" - Goo (4:05)
6. Beastie Boys - "Sabotage" - Ill Communication (2:58)
7. Elastica - "Connection" - Elastica (2:19)
8. Muse - "Supermassive Black Hole" - Black Holes And Revelations (3:29)
9. Porcupine Tree - "Blackest Eyes" - In Absentia (4:23)
10. Queens Of The Stone Age - "Suture Up Your Future" - Era Vulgaris (4:37)
11. Blur - "You're So Great" - Blur (3:34)
12. Tom Waits - "I Don't Wanna Grow Up" - Bone Machine (2:30)
13. Neutral Milk Hotel - "Holland, 1945" - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea (3:12)
14. Cake - "Short Skirt/Long Jacket" - Comfort Eagle (3:23)
15. Pearl Jam - "Last Exit" - Vitalogy (2:53)
16. T. Rex - "Mambo Sun" - Electric Warrior (3:39)
17. Queen - "Sweet Lady" - A Night At The Opera (4:02)
18. Led Zeppelin - "Ramble On" - II (4:23)
19. The Small Faces - "Afterglow (Of Your Love)" - Ogden's Nut Gone Flake (3:30)
20. The La's - "Feelin'" - The La's (1:45)
21. Television - "Marquee Moon" - Marquee Moon (10:38)

Total runtime: 79:16

#9 Dream

This set is a concept album but, in contrast to Cherub Metal, which had a musical concept (rocking out as hard as possible), #9 Dream contains many running lyrical threads, along with a generally airy musical feel. Originally, this playlist was meant to be a soundtrack for a movie I wanted to make about a man who becomes extremely ill and decides to sleep his way through it rather than take himself to a hospital. The movie was going to be extremely surreal and would explore what a waking (2 hour long) dream would look like. Because of this, the playlist for it is equally surreal and feverish. It is very dark, filled with lyrics concerning illness, death, and insanity, but ultimately asks many thought-provoking questions about love and life. And, in spite of the darkness, there are many moments of childlike wonderment to be heard here. The twist ending is that, in accordance with a line in the final song here, Moby's "Porcelain" ("In my dreams I'm dying all the time"), the protagonist may or may not have survived the night. Regardless of whether or not they did, we can assume that they learned much about themselves during this hour or two. While listening, try to focus on the musical flow of the playlist in addition to the plotline, which actually strengthens its. As in any dream, there are moments where things go off the rails ("300 MPH Torrential Outpour Blues", "Defecting Grey") and this playlist takes advantage of the vignette quality that so many dreams take on. So, in conclusion, what can you expect from this playlist? Airy soundscapes, quiet darkness, lovely noise, and much contemplation. Dig it.

Track listing:

1. Modest Mouse - "3rd Planet" - The Moon And Antarctica (3:58)
2. The Verve - "Already There" - A Storm In Heaven (5:38)
3. The Cure - "Lullaby" - Disintegration (4:08)
4. The White Stripes - "300 MPH Torrential Outpour Blues" - Icky Thump (5:29)
5. My Bloody Valentine - "When You Sleep" - Loveless (4:11)
6. Cocteau Twins - "Heaven Or Las Vegas" - Heaven Or Las Vegas (4:56)
7. John Lennon - "#9 Dream" - Walls And Bridges (4:45)
8. The Flaming Lips - "In The Morning Of The Magicians" - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (6:17)
9. The Pretty Things - "Defecting Grey" - S.F. Sorrow (Bonus Tracks) (4:28)
10. King Crimson - "I Talk To The Wind" - In The Court Of The Crimson King (6:03)
11. Blind Melon - "No Rain" - Blind Melon (3:35)
12. The Moody Blues - "Floating" - To Our Children's Children's Children (3:00)
13. Radiohead - "In Limbo" - Kid A (3:30)
14. Beck - "Runners Dial Zero" - Mutations (Import) (4:02)
15. Genesis - "The Carpet Crawlers" - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (5:02)
16. Massive Attack - "Exchange" - Mezzanine (4:11)
17. Moby - "Porcelain" - Play (3:59)

Total runtime: 77:21

UP NEXT: Lancemc vs. Axver

Competition master list.

Have fun!

This is really match five, by the way. I forgot to update the title of the thread.

I actually thought I could edit the title within a few minutes or so, but I don't see where I can. Oh well.

ElMel. The list was well put together Bonnie, but the music...not exactly my taste

I view these lists just about equally. Both have a first half I'm not too keen on and a second half I really quite like. I find LM's first half to be better than Bonnie's, but Bonnie's second half to be better than LM's. There are all kinds of little things to sway me in each direction, e.g. LM has Porcupine Tree, Bonnie has Swervedriver, but at the end of the day, all things being equal, I'm not sure how I would vote. But all things aren't equal. 10-1 to LM before I voted, in fact! Bonnie's list deserves better than that. Hell, I'd be inclined to think the fairest outcome would be a draw. So my vote goes to Bonnie.

Sorry Bonnie... :reject:
I do like your list, but LM's was more my style... I am disappointingly mainstream at heart :wink:

Great list, LM. First disc was especially rockin'. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom