Desert Island V Album Game: Quarterfinal, Match 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the playlist you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the third Quarterfinal match for Interference Desert Island V! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

Our first semifinal is set. phillyfan26 defeated Mr. V, 9-5, while LemonMelon took care of bono_212, 10-6.

Quarterfinal #3 is phanan vs. GirlsAloudFan. Below are their playlists.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each playlist flows, feel free to check out the Desert Island website. :)

Forum name: phanan

Beach Sequence

1. Dire Straits – “Telegraph Road” – Love Over Gold (14:18)
2. Rush – “Red Barchetta” – Moving Pictures (6:10)
3. The Police – “Walking On The Moon” – Regatta De Blanc (5:02)
4. Chalk FarM – “Lie On Lie” – Notwithstanding (4:22)
5. Live – “Selling The Drama” – Throwing Copper (3:25)
6. The Caulfields – “Devil’s Diary” – Whirligig (3:36)
7. Oasis – “Some Might Say” – Morning Glory (5:29)
8. U2 – “Stay (Faraway, So Close)” – Zooropa (4:59)
9. Death Cab For Cutie – “Your New Twin Sized Bed” – Narrow Stairs (3:06)
10. Better Than Ezra – “Misunderstood” – Closer (3:45)
11. Editors – “The Racing Rats” – An End Has A Start (4:17)
12. Elbow – “One Day Like This” – The Seldom Seen Kid (6:34)
13. The Notwist – “Pick Up The Phone” – Neon Golden (3:55)
14. M83 – “Skin Of The Night” – Saturdays=Youth (6:12)
15. Goldfrapp – “A&E” – The Seventh Tree (3:16)
16. Dirty Vegas – “Simple Things Part 2” – Dirty Vegas (6:25)

17. The Offspring – “Intermission” – Ixnay On The Hombre (0:48)

18. Slade – “Run Runaway” – Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply (5:00)
19. Kasabian – “Reason Is Treason” – Kasabian (4:35)
20. Led Zeppelin – “Houses Of The Holy” – Physical Graffiti (4:02)
21. Golden Earring – “Twilight Zone” – Cut (7:52)
22. Red Hot Chili Peppers – “Universally Speaking” – By The Way (4:17)
23. Okkervil River – “Unless It’s Kicks” – The Stage Names (4:36)
24. Spoon – “Rhthm & Soul” – Ga Ga Ga Ga (3:30)
25. Creedence Clearwater Revival – “Down On The Corner” – Willy And The Poorboys (2:45)
26. Elvis Presley – “Little Sister” – 2nd To None (2:32)
27. Bruce Springsteen – “Open All Night” – Nebraska (2:51)
28. The Beatles – “Hey Bulldog” – Yellow Submarine (3:11)
29. Blues Image – “Ride Captain Ride” – Open (3:45)
30. Gerry Rafferty – “Baker Street” – City To City (6:01)
31. The Shins – “Red Rabbits” – Wincing The Night Away (4:30)
32. Mute Math – “Picture” – Mute Math (5:24)
33. Bloc Party – “Ion Square” – Intimacy (6:33)

Forum name: GirlsAloudFan

GOOD TIMES

This is it. This is me. This is the music that I love. Enjoy. Good luck.

And try to remember always to have GOOD TIMES.

1. Girls Aloud - "Intro" - Chemistry - (0:42)
2. Bruce Springsteen - "Thunder Road" - Born to Run - (4:48)
3. Aliotta, Haynes, and Jeremiah - "Lake Shore Drive" - Lake Shore Drive - (3:56)
4. Led Zeppelin - "Going to California" - Zoso - (3:32)
5. Cat Stevens - "Wild World" - Very Best of Cat Stevens - (3:20)
6. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - "American Girl" - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - (3:34)
7. The Who - "Baba O'Riley" - Who's Next? - (5:09)
8. The Rolling Stones - "Gimme Shelter" - Let It Bleed - (4:37)
9. U2 - "Acrobat" - Achtung Baby! - (4:30)
10. Radiohead - "Reckoner" - In Rainbows - (4:50)
11. The Beatles - "Strawberry Fields Forever" - Magical Mystery Tour - (4:08)
12. Panda Bear - "Comfy In Nautica" - Person Pitch - (4:04)
13. Of Montreal - "Heimdalsgate Like a Promethean Curse" - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? - (3:19)
14. Postal Service - "Such Great Heights" - Give Up - (4:26)
15. Pavement - "Gold Soundz" - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain - (2:40)
16. Okkervil River - "Our Life Is Not a Movie or Maybe..." - The Stage Names - (4:24)
17. Guns N' Roses - "Paradise City" - Appetite For Destruction - (6:46)
18. Pearl Jam - "Alive" - Ten - (5:41)
19. Neil Young - "Rockin' In the Free World" - Freedom - (4:40)
20. Nirvana - "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nevermind - (5:01)
21. Eddie Vedder with Zeke - "I Believe In Miracles" - We're A Happy Family - (3:01)
22. R.E.M. - "Begin the Begin" - Lifes Rich Pageant - (3:29)
23. The Hold Steady - "Constructive Summer" - Stay Positive - (2:56)
24. The Clash - "Death or Glory" - London Calling - (3:55)
25. My Morning Jacket - "One Big Holiday" - It Still Moves - (5:21)
26. The Coral - "Dreaming Of You" - The Coral - (2:21)
27. The Libertines - "Music When the Lights Go Out" - The Libertines - (3:02)
28. The White Stripes - "The Same Boy You've Always Known" - White Blood Cells - (3:10)
29. Bob Dylan - "Tangled Up In Blue" - Blood On the Tracks - (5:41)
30. Kings of Leon - "Slow Night, So Long" - Aha Shake Heartbreak - (3:54)
31. Pink Floyd - "Wish You Were Here" - Wish You Were Here - (5:18)
32. The Strokes - "Take It or Leave It" - Is This It? - (3:16)
33. Arctic Monkeys - "A Certain Romance" - Whatever People Say I am, That's what I'm not - (5:25)
34. Oasis - "Wonderwall" - What's the Story? (Morning Glory) - (4:19)
35. Jeff Buckley - "Hallelujah" - Grace - (6:54)

Total runtime: 146.15 minutes

UP NEXT: hardyharhar vs. Axver

Competition master list.

Have fun!

GAF. Like I said a few rounds ago, he has the best song choices in the competition. It's hard to top that.

This is rough, since I dig both lists and don't want to see either short-changed. I'll save my vote for a little later.

Whoah! After this big ass post and voting, I find out the poll is closed. I thought it said this poll closed at 11 something AM. Did I misread? Or maybe that was EST. Too tired to see the details like that last night. I guess it will go to the next step afterall :lol: And I didn't even get to vote for myself against a tough Axver list (or give my thoughts on that list, which I listened to again last night) :shrug: :wink:

I hope my vote doesn't decide this, because I'm pretty even on both. I'm trying to listen to all of these a second time before voting. Phanan has another strong entry, it's a great sounding list. Unfortunately I'm just not feeling it on a lot of the songs. That is just personal taste. The Dire Straits is nice, but a bit long and I didn't really like the Rush song that followed. It was almost 30 minutes in when the Live song came in that I really liked. Oasis, Better than Ezra, Editors, M83, and Dirty Vegas were all pretty good, but in between a few I didn't care for much. Of course, a lot of this is new to me so I have to take that into account, Some of it would probably grow on me if given more of a chance. Slade was a cool start to the second half, Zep's Houses not a huge fave but it works good. Twilight Zone I've never liked, Chili Peps was ok, Okkervil River didn't care for, but Spoon was nice. Now we move back in time, and it's a nice run of songs, but doesn't bowl me over. Not a big fan of Ride Captain Ride or Baker Street. Really liked the Bloc Party song.

GAF on first glance would seem to be my choice. Lots of familiar songs, but a lot of it classic rock station staples. I really would have liked tohave seen him step out a bit and choose slightly less well known tracks. As LMP mentioned before, it's tough to compete against a list of hits like this when you have already used many of them in previous DI's. But I can't hold that against GAF here. There's a lot of songs I like a lot, and a good portion of old and new I didn't care for or have heard way too much through the years. But probably just as much new stuff here that I liked as on Phanan's set.

So on one hand, a list with a lot of stuff I'm not familiar with, that was hit and miss. And older tracks I wasn't too crazy of. But put together very well. And the other with many songs I'm very familiar with and have enjoyed for a long time, but a good portion feeling a bit overplayed. But also newer songs that was also hit and miss for me.

I feel like not voting, and letting the process take this to the next step. But I have to choose one, so It's GAF

Any way to keep these polls open for 48 hours? Or is most everyone getting their votes in on time? Just curious. Hardy's schedule is obviously making it difficult for him to vote during the timeframe given. And I tried listening to some playlists again, but free/listening time is a commodity I don't seem to have a lot of lately :shrug:

We moved to 24 hours for all the matches except the final a few tournaments ago. It's been our experience that most everyone who is actively involved with DI votes within the first 24 hours.

hardy, if you aren't around a lot lately, all you need to do is send me a PM with your voting preferences (or rankings if the matches upcoming are unknown ahead of time) and I can manually add your vote. That's what we are currently doing with Alisaura's votes.

The request to add votes manually needs to be done before a match ends, however. As I pointed out to The Sad Punk when she missed a match last week, it would be unfair to the participants in a match if votes were added after the fact. So I unfortunately cannot add your vote to this match as it came after it was completed.

Send me a PM with the rankings of the final four (pfan, LM, you, and me) and I will add your vote accordingly. I'm sure you'll want your vote added to your own semifinal. :wink:

Fair enough. Hopefully he sees this tonight :wink:
Apparently he didn't even have a chance to vote for himself vs. Axver. Luckily I think he pulled that match out :)

Damn, so Hardy's vote would have tied it!

What would have happened then? I'm thinking Phanan and I would have had to play a game of 1 on 1 basketball. First to 21. And my sky-hook is impossible to defend. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom