Desert Island V Album Game: Quarterfinal, Match 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the playlist you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the second Quarterfinal match for Interference Desert Island V! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

The second quarterfinal match is LemonMelon against bono_212. Below are their playlists.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each playlist flows, feel free to check out the Desert Island website. :)

Forum name: LemonMelon

The purpose of splitting these two sets up is to emphasize just how drastically different they are from one another, and that they provide two entirely different experiences. It is preferable to listen to them in a row (if you do, I suggest you listen to Super Massive Black Cherub Metal, and then ease your way in to #9 Dream) but listening to them separately doesn't do much to hurt the overall experience. Ultimately, I hope everyone finds something to love here, and that those who find one set less enjoyable than the other could at least discover some new music out of it.

Supermassive Black Cherub Metal

Not much to say about this playlist. It's just a set of good ol' fashioned rock n' roll that's consistently louder than anything I've entered previously; even the breaks in the loudness tend to be lo-fi and themselves filled with noise. But this is good, as there aren't any ballads awkwardly thrown in for the sake of variety. Sit back and crank this one up as loud as you can.

Track listing:

1. Smashing Pumpkins - "Cherub Rock" - Siamese Dream (4:57)
2. Pixies - "Broken Face" - Surfer Rosa (1:30)
3. Ween - "Dr. Rock" - The Pod (3:10)
4. Suede - "The Drowners" - Suede (4:09)
5. Sonic Youth - "Kool Thing" - Goo (4:05)
6. Beastie Boys - "Sabotage" - Ill Communication (2:58)
7. Elastica - "Connection" - Elastica (2:19)
8. Muse - "Supermassive Black Hole" - Black Holes And Revelations (3:29)
9. Porcupine Tree - "Blackest Eyes" - In Absentia (4:23)
10. Queens Of The Stone Age - "Suture Up Your Future" - Era Vulgaris (4:37)
11. Blur - "You're So Great" - Blur (3:34)
12. Tom Waits - "I Don't Wanna Grow Up" - Bone Machine (2:30)
13. Neutral Milk Hotel - "Holland, 1945" - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea (3:12)
14. Cake - "Short Skirt/Long Jacket" - Comfort Eagle (3:23)
15. Pearl Jam - "Last Exit" - Vitalogy (2:53)
16. T. Rex - "Mambo Sun" - Electric Warrior (3:39)
17. Queen - "Sweet Lady" - A Night At The Opera (4:02)
18. Led Zeppelin - "Ramble On" - II (4:23)
19. The Small Faces - "Afterglow (Of Your Love)" - Ogden's Nut Gone Flake (3:30)
20. The La's - "Feelin'" - The La's (1:45)
21. Television - "Marquee Moon" - Marquee Moon (10:38)

Total runtime: 79:16

#9 Dream

This set is a concept album but, in contrast to Cherub Metal, which had a musical concept (rocking out as hard as possible), #9 Dream contains many running lyrical threads, along with a generally airy musical feel. Originally, this playlist was meant to be a soundtrack for a movie I wanted to make about a man who becomes extremely ill and decides to sleep his way through it rather than take himself to a hospital. The movie was going to be extremely surreal and would explore what a waking (2 hour long) dream would look like. Because of this, the playlist for it is equally surreal and feverish. It is very dark, filled with lyrics concerning illness, death, and insanity, but ultimately asks many thought-provoking questions about love and life. And, in spite of the darkness, there are many moments of childlike wonderment to be heard here. The twist ending is that, in accordance with a line in the final song here, Moby's "Porcelain" ("In my dreams I'm dying all the time"), the protagonist may or may not have survived the night. Regardless of whether or not they did, we can assume that they learned much about themselves during this hour or two. While listening, try to focus on the musical flow of the playlist in addition to the plotline, which actually strengthens its. As in any dream, there are moments where things go off the rails ("300 MPH Torrential Outpour Blues", "Defecting Grey") and this playlist takes advantage of the vignette quality that so many dreams take on. So, in conclusion, what can you expect from this playlist? Airy soundscapes, quiet darkness, lovely noise, and much contemplation. Dig it.

Track listing:

1. Modest Mouse - "3rd Planet" - The Moon And Antarctica (3:58)
2. The Verve - "Already There" - A Storm In Heaven (5:38)
3. The Cure - "Lullaby" - Disintegration (4:08)
4. The White Stripes - "300 MPH Torrential Outpour Blues" - Icky Thump (5:29)
5. My Bloody Valentine - "When You Sleep" - Loveless (4:11)
6. Cocteau Twins - "Heaven Or Las Vegas" - Heaven Or Las Vegas (4:56)
7. John Lennon - "#9 Dream" - Walls And Bridges (4:45)
8. The Flaming Lips - "In The Morning Of The Magicians" - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (6:17)
9. The Pretty Things - "Defecting Grey" - S.F. Sorrow (Bonus Tracks) (4:28)
10. King Crimson - "I Talk To The Wind" - In The Court Of The Crimson King (6:03)
11. Blind Melon - "No Rain" - Blind Melon (3:35)
12. The Moody Blues - "Floating" - To Our Children's Children's Children (3:00)
13. Radiohead - "In Limbo" - Kid A (3:30)
14. Beck - "Runners Dial Zero" - Mutations (Import) (4:02)
15. Genesis - "The Carpet Crawlers" - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (5:02)
16. Massive Attack - "Exchange" - Mezzanine (4:11)
17. Moby - "Porcelain" - Play (3:59)

Total runtime: 77:21

Forum name: bono_212

This list was my attempt to REALLY make a list of songs I like. I realize I've said this about each list, but I really feel that it wasn't true for either of the previous competitions, especially DI 4, as I knowingly attempted to make a list others would like, and in turn, did not actually enjoy myself. This time I've stripped most of that away, and created a list that not only I enjoy (a
great deal) but that I also think others can find something to like about as well. There was a conscious effort however to keep the lighter tracks on one disc and the semi-heavier ones on a second, hence the split.

Also I used this list as an attempt to pay homage to some bands I've recently really begun to love, such as The Dresden Dolls and The National.

Finally, the Meat Loaf song is on there for a reason. I wanted to put songs I love on the list, and not try to do something that I'm not, like I did last time. So I picked what I hoped would be the most extreme song by him, but what also happened to be one of my favorite songs by him, as sort of a part of all that. I almost didn't do it, as I realized how much people would hate the song, but at the same time, it felt wrong to myself to leave it off, and so, please bare with its inclusion.

There's nothing else I can think to say so I just hope you can find something to like, and just generally enjoy listening. Oh! One more thing, the cover art for disc two, as well as pretty much all of the song placement were contributed/Constructed by LemonMelon, before he came along, it was one disjointed mess.

Tonight I Have To Leave It

1. Shout Out Louds - "Tonight I Have To Leave It - Our Ill Wills (3:34)
2. Bell X1 - "Rocky Took A Lover" - Flock (4:11)
3. Muse - "Starlight" - Black Holes & Revelations (4:00)
4. The Bravery - "No Breaks" - The Bravery (3:05)
5. The Dresden Dolls - "Lonesome Organist Rapes Page Turner" - No, Virginia (3:42)
6. Meat Loaf - "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" - Bat Out Of Hell III: The Monster's Loose (6:06)
7. Passengers - "Your Blue Room" - Passengers: Original Soundtracks I (5:28)
8. Aerosmith - "Dream On" - Greatest Hits (4:28)
9. Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Otherside" - Californication (4:15)
10. Modest Mouse - "Dashboard" - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank (4:06)
11. Everclear - "Father of Mine" - So Much For The Afterglow (3:51)
12. Blue October - "She's My Ride Home" - Foiled (4:42)
13. Pure Reason Revolution - "Nimos and Tambos" - The Dark Third (3:45)
14. Crowded House - "Can't Carry On" - Crowded House (3:57)
15. Electric Light Orchestra - "Mr. Blue Sky" - Out of the Blue (5:06)
16. Traveling Wilburys - "End Of The Line" - The Traveling Wilburys Collection (3:28)
17. Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Have You Ever Seen The Rain" - Pendulum (2:40)
18. Bob Dylan - "Shelter From The Storm" - Essential Bob Dylan (5:03)
19. Gordon Lightfoot - "If You Could Read My Mind" - Rhino Hi-Five: Gordon
Lightfoot (3:49)

Within You

1. The Rolling Stones - "You Can't Always Get What You Want" - Let It Bleed (7:29)
2. Arcade Fire - "Keep The Car Running" - Neon Bible (3:29)
3. Dream Theater - "Wait For Sleep" - Images And Words (2:32)
4. Peter Gabriel - "Book of Love" - Shall We Dance (3:37)
5. R.E.M. - "Nightswimming" - Automatic For The People (4:18)
6. Simon & Garfunkel - "The Sound Of Silence" - The Graduate (3:07)
7. Pink Floyd - "Comfortably Numb" - The Wall (Disc 2) (6:24)
8. The National - "Fake Empire" - Boxer (3:25)
9. Porcupine Tree - "Collapse The Light Into Earth" - In Absentia (5:53)
10. U2 - "Acrobat" - Achtung Baby (4:30)
11. The Killers - "Smile Like You Mean It" - Hot Fuss (3:55)
12. Snow Patrol - "Beginning To Get To Me" - Eyes Open (4:36)
13. David Bowie - "Within You" - Labyrinth (3:30)
14. The Smiths - "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" - The Queen Is Dead (4:03)
15. Our Lady Peace - "4 AM" - A Decade (4:16)
16. Bruce Springsteen - "Atlantic City" - The Essential Bruce Springsteen (3:57)
17. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - "Insider" - Hard Promises (4:23)
18. Dire Straits - "Romeo & Juliet" - Making Movies (5:54)

Total Runtime: 2:38:13

UP NEXT: phanan vs. GirlsAloudFan

Competition master list.

Have fun!

:wave: Best of luck, Ashley. I really think, flow-wise, this was your best list. And, since you've been absorbing all of this new music recently, I'm excited to see what you come up with for DI6.

Yeah, I think we all know this is where I take my leave, but I am super excited to have progressed this far. My previous history with DI only has one victory to my name, so I say this is quite the improvement :D.

Of course I did still vote for me :wink:

That DI6 list is probably going to leave you wanting more LM unless I back down from my current plan

This is pretty close so far. Since 10-15 appears to be the most votes any matches have gotten recently, I'm probably safe, but this has been a good match.

I gave Bono212 another listen last night before voting, cuz I remember liking it. It is a great freakin' list. I would have voted for this all the way to the end (unless it was against my own :D ). I listen to these without knowing who I'm hearing, helps me keep an open mind. A couple mis-steps here and there but always saved before getting outta hand. Maybe I was just in the mood or too many 18-19 hour days catchng up, but I loved it. I thought the first track was a Cure song I didn't know. Even the song I thought was from The Little Mermaid or some other Disney movie ( which I did not like at all on first listen) grew on me second time around with a nice little hook in the chorus, It's all coming back to me now. Meatloaf!?! Who woulda known :lol: From Pure Reason through U2 was very sweet. ELO after Crowdies was nice (at first I thought ELO was old Enz, very similar sound there), Wilbury's, CCR & Dylan was good but then a personal fave - If you Could Read MY Mind into a Stones song that takes me to a very specific place, a Peter Gabriel song I've never heard but is just great (a cover it turns out), at first I thought this was an answer to The Lamb's 'Counting OUt Time' by an older and wiser Peter. Then Nightswimming. This little run of songs moved me to tears. :up: Sound of silence, (I was hoping for Cat Stevens right after S&G :)) Comfortably Numb and another great song I'd never heard by the National. Nice. Only Arcade Fire I still don't care for. Just don't like them :shrug:
Almost lost me with the Killers, Snow Patrol and a horrible :) Bowie song. But saved nicely by an excellent Smiths tune, Atlantic City and my fave from Making Movies 'Romeo & Juliet'.

Bono212 or Ashley, it was a pleasure listening to this list. Great songs, I like your taste in music.
:wave:

Ok, back to work again :sad:

Aww thanks Hardy, that means a lot coming from you, since you have such expansive taste yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom