Desert Island V Album Game: Master List - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #136
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Wait.. didn't you guys say that I got a tough draw yet again? Now you're saying it's even?
Spread evenly in regards to each player's history with the game - not quality of playlists.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #137
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
BTW, are we having matches today or tomorrow? I forget what the setup was in DI4 from round 2 on.
Yeah, I'm working on them.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #138
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I think the advantage to something like that beyond maybe being more fair in some people's minds is that it would keep people interested. I mean how many lose their first match or two and stop being interested. This way everyone would stay interested for a lot longer.
That's a great point! I agree with this.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:26 PM   #139
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Without extending the competition, the only thing I can think of that may work is this. The playlists get sent out to everyone, we give people several weeks to listen to them all, and then they send in their rankings of the lists. And then, based on those rankings, we compile the groups from them, distributing them evenly, and proceed as normal.
The one flaw I see in that is that based on the group and who is in it couldn't you see how unliked your playlist is before the first match is even played? I'm not sure people want to know they are doomed before the first match is even played.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #140
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The one flaw I see in that is that based on the group and who is in it couldn't you see how unliked your playlist is before the first match is even played? I'm not sure people want to know they are doomed before the first match is even played.
No, the rankings would be sent in secretly to me, and then, based on those rankings, I would create the groups. And each player would not be put in any specific order in each group, so nobody would know who ranked where.

We can discuss this more when DI6 starts, since it won't be for a while anyway.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #141
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:25 PM
Quote:
Spread evenly in regards to each player's history with the game - not quality of playlists.
Okay. Well, it was just an observation/suggestion. I still don't think the system is fair to all playing but if it's the best we can do without making the contest overly long, then it's fine I guess.

Quote:
!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #142
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:25 AM
Quote:
Without extending the competition, the only thing I can think of that may work is this. The playlists get sent out to everyone, we give people several weeks to listen to them all, and then they send in their rankings of the lists. And then, based on those rankings, we compile the groups from them, distributing them evenly, and proceed as normal.
Now that seems the most fair, I would say.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:26 PM   #143
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 09:25 AM
Quote:
the only problem is we already get people voting who obviously haven't downloaded a single playlist, to me having them rank 20 or whatever playlists they haven't listened to seems even worse.

unless there were qualifications as to who would be submitting rankings, like participators in the tournament and veterans who either vote and/or submit lists, basically those we know wouldn't rank unless they'd listened to everything.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:25 PM   #144
Blue Crack Supplier

I think it's fine the way it is, with Phanan's idea being the only idea so far that improves on it.

The Screw Proposal sounds much less fair, to me. Why should the last team in a group get to the final eight ahead of three second place teams? That is much worse than the current status.

Either keep it the same or group by the rankings as Phanan has said, say I.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:29 PM   #145
The Male

Local Time: 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Now this I like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Now that seems the most fair, I would say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
I think it's fine the way it is, with Phanan's idea being the only idea so far that improves on it.

The Screw Proposal sounds much less fair, to me. Why should the last team in a group get to the final eight ahead of three second place teams? That is much worse than the current status.

Either keep it the same or group by the rankings as Phanan has said, say I.
The Three Musketeers have Phanan's back on this one.

Now.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:41 PM   #146
Blue Crack Supplier

If the Musketeers had honorary memberships (you cannot have more than three musketeers, of course), Phanan would have one.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:42 PM   #147
Blue Crack Supplier

Question: With YLB's signature also making this relevant ... should our name temporarily be the Three Mavericks?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:43 PM   #148
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Question: With YLB's signature also making this relevant ... should our name temporarily be the Three Mavericks?
The success of the Three Musketeers as purveyors of relevant humor has always depended upon ephemeral pop culture references. I support this.

Now.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:02 PM   #149
Refugee

Local Time: 01:25 AM
I like the pre-group rankings idea. Using the World Cup example, that would enable the organisers to tier off everyone into different pots...
Old 10-08-2008, 01:23 AM   #150
Blue Crack Addict

If we do the rankings, I think the only people who should be able to do them are those participating. (see Khan's post)

Tags
desert island