Desert Island IX: Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
16. LJT

Entry:

104 points
Highest placement: 1st
Lowest placement: 17th
Top 5 placements: 2

TLM.jpg

Tractatus Logico- Musicum I

It's been a while since I took part in a Desert Island, my taste in music I would not say has changed but I like to think my taste has considerably broadened. Looking back on previous DI most of the music I listened to followed a very similar structure, I was always the indie rock/pop guy at school. Now I'm out in the working world and I find myself looking more towards dub-step and other electronica much more and hip hop which I actively avoided while younger but I will always enjoy a good melody no matter how complex or simple a song is. There is no particular theme to these playlists other than to introduce folks to some of the great music I have been listening to over the past couple of years. There is a loose idea that part I is a bit more accessible than part II, to guide the listener into some of the more eclectic material in the second half. The title I have nicked from Ludwig Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, and these playlists are (in a small corny way), a logical musical treatise on how music remains such a big part of my life, and long may it "reign o'er me".

01. A Lull- "Weapons of War"- Confetti (4:13)
02. James Pants- "Beta"- James Pants (2:55)
03. Ulrich Schnauss- "Passing By"- Faraway Trains Passing By (6.35)
04. Loops of Your Heart- "Broken Bow"- And Never Ending Nights (10.17)
05. Trembling Blue Stars- "This Once Was An Island"- The Last Holy Writer (4.11)
06. Joe Goddard Feat. Valentina- "Gabriel"- Gabriel EP (5.36)
07. JJ- "Ecstasy"- JJ N°2 (3.33)
08. Wolf Gang- "Dancing With the Devil"- Dancing With the Devil (3.42)
09. Delicate Steve- "Wally Wilder"- Positive Force (4.03)
10. Chic- "What About Me"- Risque (4.14)
11. Gil Scott Heron- "Home Is Where the Hatred Is"- Pieces of a Man (3.22)
12. Dog is Dead- "Do the Right Thing"- All Our Favourite Stories (4.26)
13. Fruit Bats- "The Banishment Song"- Tripper (5.57)
14. How to Dress Well- "Suicide Dream (Orchestral)- Just Once EP (4.50)
15. Anna Calvi- "Suzanne & I"- (4.11)

Total:72:16

Tractatus Logico- Musicum II

01. Stara Rzeka- "Przebudzenie Boga Wschodu"- Cien Chmury Nad Ukrytym Polem (12.10)
02. Balam Acab- "Regret Making Mistakes"- See Birds EP (4.18)
03. Tricky- "Aftermath"- Maxinquaye (7.38)
04. Open Mike Eagle- "Pissy Transmissions"- Unapologetic Art Rap (3.23)
05. Ghostpoet- "Survive It"- Peanut Butter Blues & Melancholy Jam (4.23)
06. iLiKETRAiNS- "The Hive"- The Shallows (5.01)
07. Kuedo- "Truth Flood"- Severant (3.39)
08. Divine Fits- "For Your Heart"- A Thing Called Divine Fits (5.25)
09. Stellar Om Source- "Fascination"- Joy One Mile (5.57)
10. Django Django- "Waveforms"- Django Django (4.26)
11. Moonface- "Faraway Lightning"- With SInaii: Heartbreaking Bravery (4.45)
12. Laurel Halo- "Carcass"- Quarantine (4.32)
13. Disco Inferno- "Love Stepping Out"- The 5 EPs (6.22)
14. Blood Orange- "Champagne Coast"- Coastal Grooves (4.52)
15. Jono McCleery- "Wonderful Life"- There Is (3.22)

Total: 80:20

Grand Total: 152:36

I really liked IWB's list. Surprised it was last.

I was curious to see how Mr. V would do. Oh well.

The answer: very well. Both he and Bonnie would have significantly changed the top 10 and their rankings would have likely moved the top 3 around. It's a damn shame. I really don't want to do the rankings format again, if it can be avoided.

15. namkcuR
110 points
Lowest placement 18th
Top 5 placements: 1

Entry:

c2fo.jpg

My entry this time is an all-1970s list. The only criteria for a song to get in were for it to be from the 70s and for me to like it. This list was designed to highlight the diversity of the decade, as many consider the 70s to be the most diverse/eclectic decade for popular music(at least in the mainstream). I tried to represent a wide array of genres and subgenres, although they couldn't all be represented equally(i.e. some get one song, some get a bunch, that kind of thing, that's just how it unfolded). A lot of these are sort of obvious choices, and you probably won't discover much 'new' music here(although some of my selections are far less obvious and might be new to you). That's pretty much it. It's a love-letter to the 70s.

You can listen to each of the four 'sides' individually, but they're designed to segue nicely into each other, so you can listen straight through too.

This was a really tough list to make because there's so much to choose from; I had to make some tough cuts, and use various official edits of some songs to save time, and I still actually used up all of the available time(it's exactly 160:00 long), but I think I ended up with a pretty good list. I hope you enjoy it.

Side A - Disco, Funk, R&B, & Soul

1. Michael Jackson - "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough(7" Edit)" - Number Ones(International Version) (3:56)
2. Abba - "Summer Night City" - Greatest Hits Vol. 2 (3:34)
3. Bee Gees - "Night Fever" - Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack (3:33)
4. K.C. and The Sunshine Band - "That's The Way I Like It(Single Version)" - The Best of K.C. and The Sunshine Band (3:06)
5. The Village People - "Go West(Edit)" - We Want You - Greatest Hits(Europe Import) (3:33)
6. Parliament/Funkadelic - "Night Of The Thumpasorus People" - Mothership Connection (5:10)
7. Commodores - "I'm Ready" - Caught In The Act (3:24)
8. Earth, Wind, and Fire - "Shining Star" - That's The Way Of The World (2:51)
9. Bill Withers - "Ain't No Sunshine" - Just As I Am (2:04)
10. Marvin Gaye - "What's Going On?" - What's Going On? (3:53)
11. Stevie Wonder - "Knocks Me Off My Feet" - Songs In The Key Of Life (3:37)
12. The Delfonics - "Didn't I(Blow Your Mind This Time)" - The Delfonics (3:23)
---
41:58

Side B - Singer-songwriters(Pop & Country) & Classic Rock

1. Elton John - "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (3:13)
2. The Carpenters - "For All We Know" - Carpenters (2:33)
3. Billy Joel- "She's Always A Woman To Me" - The Stranger (3:21)
4. Cat Stevens - "Morning Has Broken" - Teaser and the Firecat (3:20)
5. Harry Chapin - "Cats In The Cradle" - Verities & Balderdash (3:44)
6. Bruce Springsteen - "Factory" - Darkness On The Edge Of Town (2:17)
7. Dolly Parton - "Jolene" - Jolene (2:43)
8. America - "Horse With No Name" - America (4:08)
9. Neil Young - "Heart Of Gold" - Greatest Hits (3:09)
10. Bob Dylan - "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" - Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (2:32)
11. Led Zeppelin - "Tangerine" - III (3:10)
12. Grateful Dead - "Fire On The Mountain" - Shakedown Street (3:46)
13. George Harrison - "What Is Life" - All Things Must Pass (4:22)
14. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - "Refugee" - Greatest Hits (3:22)
15. The Who - "Love Reign O'er Me" - Quadophenia (5:48)
---
51:24

Side C - Early Metal & Hard Rock, Glam, Punk, and Post-Punk

1. Aerosmith - "Walk This Way" - Greatest Hits (3:50)
2. Black Sabbath - "Paranoid" - Paranoid (2:53)
3. T-Rex - "Children Of The Revolution" - Stand-Alone Single (2:29)
4. Argent - "God Gave Rock And Roll To You(45' Edit)" - In Deep (3:20)
5. David Bowie/Mott The Hoople - "All The Young Dudes(David Bowie and Ian Hunter vocal)" - All The Young Dudes(Remastered) (4:24)
6. Queen - "Killer Queen" - Greatest Hits I&II (3:02)
7. The Clash - "Garageland" - The Essential Clash (3:15)
8. The Ramones - "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend" - Hey! Ho! Let's Go: The Anthology (2:27)
9. Wire - "Mannequin" - Pink Flag (2:37)
10. The Police - "Can't Stand Losing You" - Outlandos d'Amour (2:58)
11. Television - "Elevation" - Marquee Moon (5:07)
12. Patti Smith - "Dancing Barefoot" - Wave (4:16)
---
40:19

Side D - Electronic & Prog

1. Kraftwerk - "Transistor" - Radio-Activity (2:15)
2. Pink Floyd - "Any Colour You Like" - Dark Side Of The Moon (3:26)
3. Genesis - "Seven Stones" - Nursery Cryme (5:08)
4. Yes - "Awaken" - Going For The One (15:31)
---
26:19

Total runtime: 160:00

The answer: very well. Both he and Bonnie would have significantly changed the top 10 and their rankings would have likely moved the top 3 around. It's a damn shame. I really don't want to do the rankings format again, if it can be avoided.

Bonnie = Sad Punk?

I think that list was my #1. :sad:

I always feel bad about the first half of this. Lots of good stuff in these lists.

Shit, I loved LJT's list. Great flow with variety but consistent atmosphere and some superb artists that I had not come across before. That one deserves to be much higher, IMO. Bonus points as well for the Wittgenstein shout-out.

Yeah, both Mr. V and The Sad Punk were in my top five... amazing lists!

Bonnie = Sad Punk?

I think that list was my #1. :sad:

Indeed it was. I think she was #6 on my list, I only have the top 5s saved in the document I'm drawing from.

I'll probably end up posting Bonnie and Mr. V's results at the end as an addendum.

14. nielsgov
126 points
Highest placement: 2nd
Lowest placement: 18th
Top 5 placements: 3

Entry:

THE EXACT COLOUR OF DOUBT

Does this playlist have a theme? Not really. These are just songs I like. The overal atmosphere is pretty dark though, so that's where the cover and the title come from. I think it fits the music. And I just like that particular song title a lot. The first half is mainly electronic but it slowly gets more conventional. I hope there are at least a few artists you're unfamiliar with. I'm sure there are a few, even if it's only two or three (the Belgian artists). Enjoy.

(Note: I don't know how to change the album artwork in the files itself so it shows the Haxan Cloak artwork (in my iTunes at least). You can always change it if you so wish, the cover's in the zip file.)

1. Liars - "The Exact Colour of Doubt" - WIXIW (4:08)
2. Björk - "Hunter" - Homogenic (4:15)
3. Amatorski - "Soldier" - tbc (4:21)
4. Trentemöller - "Take Me Into Your Skin" - The Last Resort (7:44)
5. The Haxan Cloak - "Excavation (Part 2)" - Excavation (4:13)
6. Burial - "Loner" - Kindred EP (7:28)
7. Mogwai - "Sine Wave" - Rock Action (4:55)
8. Blur - "Battle" - 13 (7:44)
9. My Bloody Valentine - "When You Sleep" - Loveless (4:12)
10. Deerhunter - "Operation" - Weird Era Continued (4:04)
11. Queens Of The Stone Age - "Misfit Love" - Era Vulgaris (5:40)
12. Arcade Fire - "Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)" - Funeral (5:13)
13. Radiohead - "Climbing Up The Walls" - OK Computer (4:45)
14. The Cure - "From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea" - Wish (7:45)
15. dEUS - "Gimme The Heat" - In A Bar, Under The Sea (7:38)
16. The National - "Cardinal Song" - Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers (6:20)
17. Balthazar - "Sides" - Rats (3:06)

Total runtime: 93:31

I understand the point, but if we go back to polls, some serious amending to the rules will be required, because that method had its share of issues as well.

I understand the point, but if we go back to polls, some serious amending to the rules will be required, because that method had its share of issues as well.

Such as not having a consensus after the top list depending on the seeding. Feasibly the second best list could be knocked out by the best list in round 1.

The results threads universally wind up being used for the purpose of discussing rule changes, so we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. :lol: I feel like this is the first time when about half a dozen participants actively complained about the format though.

The results threads universally wind up being used for the purpose of discussing rule changes, so we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. :lol: I feel like this is the first time when about half a dozen participants actively complained about the format though.

I think that is partly because some have forgotten the issues that arose previously cuz it's been a while, or weren't part of DI back then.

13. djerdap
132 points
Highest placement: 2nd
Top 5 placements: 4

bonoBIG_228x323.jpg

Disc 1 - Dreaming Jellyfish Extensively, Repeatedly

1. Let 3 - "Sam u vodi" - Živi kurac (9:06)
2. Majke - "Budi ponosan" - Razdor (6:40)
3. Laufer - "Mjesečev rog" - Pustinje (7:21)
4. Urban & 4 - "Nebo" - Otrovna kiša (6:31)
5. Noir Desir - "Des visages des figures" - Des visages des figures (5:15)
6. Sigur Ros - Popplagið - ( ) (11:45)

Disc 2 - Dreaming Antilopes Privately

1. Film - "Neprilagođen" - Novo!Novo!Novo! (3:37)
2. Ekatarina Velika - "Par godina za nas" - Samo par godina za nas (4:10)
3. Haustor - "Ena" - Bolero (3:55)
4. Amadou & Mariam - "Oh Amadou" - Folila (3:29)
5. Psihomodo Pop - "Frida" - Unpljugd (3:54)
6. Azra - "Užas je moja furka" - Sunčana strana ulice (3:17)
7. Partibrejkers - "Kraj mora" - Ledeno doba (5:35)
8. Električni orgazam - "Nebo" - Električni orgazam (4:35)
9. Pips, Chips & Videoclips - "Narko" - Bog (6:56)
10.The Beat Fleet - "Smak svita" - Galerija Tutnplok (6:24)

Total run time: 92:30

I'd be interested in doing both. And then do a compare and contrast of the results. I think that'd be interesting.

But yeah, sad that Mr. V and Bonnie didn't get their lists in. I had them ranked 5th and 6th respectively.

I'd be interested in doing both. And then do a compare and contrast of the results. I think that'd be interesting.

I agree. That way, everyone will get to compete in some form or another, even if they can't be on the forum, and it takes some of the stress away from putting the lists together at the last minute when they're not the full criteria for the final results. If it's a coda to the tournament, it's just a fun supplemental thing that takes a couple minutes.

I think we can all agree that the results of voting and ranking would likely be radically different, so why not do both and possibly have a couple of winners?

Before Peef submitted his list, there was a tie coming up. Instead, 10 points separate the next four participants. Which is, what, a little over half a list? Seriously, every list counts.

12. Joey788
135 points
Highest placement: 3rd
Top 5 placements: 6

Disc 1: Silent Swimming

01. Elbow - "The Birds" - Build a Rocket Boys! (8:03)
02. St. Vincent "Cruel" - Strange Mercy (3:35)
03. Metric - "Blindness" - Fantasies (4:26)
04. Interpol - "Lights" - Interpol (5:37)
05. Depeche Mode - "Get Right With Me" - Songs of Faith and Devotion (3:52)
06. TV On The Radio - "Killer Crane" - Nine Types of Light (6:14)
07. Arcade Fire - "Modern Man" - The Suburbs (4:39)
08. Beck - "Jack-Ass" - Odelay (4:13)
09. Danger Mouse and Daniele Luppi, feat. Norah Jones - "Black" - Rome (3:32)
10. Florence & the Machine - "I'm Not Calling You A Liar" - Lungs (3:05)
11. The Beatles - "She's Leaving Home" - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (3:34)
12. Coldplay - "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" - A Rush Of Blood To The Head (5:53)
13. The Joy Formidable - "Silent Treatment" - Wolf's Law (3:39)
14. The National - "I Need My Girl" - Trouble Will Find Me (4:05)
15. R.E.M. - "Nightswimming" - Automatic For The People (4:18)

Disc 2: Tender Nature

01. Blur - "Tender" - 13 (7:42)
02. Gotye, feat. Kimbra - "Somebody That I Used To Know" - Making Mirrors (4:05)
03. Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse - "Star Eyes (I Can't Catch It) - Dark Night of the Soul (3:10)
04. The Go! Team - "Lazy Poltergeist" - Rolling Blackouts (1:40)
05. Porcupine Tree - "Heartattack In A Layby" - In Absentia (4:16)
06. Nine Inch Nails - "Right Where It Belongs" - With Teeth (5:04)
07. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - "Penetration" - The Social Network (1:14)
08. Bat for Lashes - "Moon and Moon" - Two Suns (3:08)
09. U2 - "Stay (Faraway, So Close)" - Zooropa (4:58)
10. Sharon Van Etten - "Love More" - Epic (5:14)
11. Bon Iver - "Holocene" - Bon Iver (5:36)
12. Astronautalis - "17 Summers" - Pomegranate (2:50)
13. Radiohead - "Give Up The Ghost" - The King of Limbs (4:50)
14. Savages - "Dead Nature" - Silence Yourself (2:06)
15. Steven Wilson - "The Raven That Refused To Sing" - The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) (7:57)

Total Runtime: 132:35

You can perhaps surmise from the amount of top 5 placements Joey had that his list was quite polarizing. He had a big run at the end too that brought him up several spots.

I agree. That way, everyone will get to compete in some form or another, even if they can't be on the forum, and it takes some of the stress away from putting the lists together at the last minute when they're not the full criteria for the final results. If it's a coda to the tournament, it's just a fun supplemental thing that takes a couple minutes.

I think we can all agree that the results of voting and ranking would likely be radically different, so why not do both and possibly have a couple of winners?

Interesting thought. Given the variables involved, the results would definitely be much different

Not saying I voted Joey last or even low, but the way I judged these was not on quality of songs but rather on theme and originality. I thought djerdap's list has both of those things going for it. I wish it would have placed higher.

A tournament format always is going to have some non consensus winner. It just depends on how things go. If a list lost, however, that probably indicates it wouldn't win it all obviously. So, at the end of the day, you're going to still have a deserving winner. Or you can just not bother watching anymore sports if that is your complaint. I remember the poll days I remember the problems. I've suggested a few alternatives to help assist those problems, such as making sure that only those who are participating in the competition, or those pre approved by the contest runner, to vote in the polls. The reason I love the poll so much, is because it really put more emphasis on actually listen to the lists in a timely fashion, this format has always been too loose.

Imo, of course.

Not saying I voted Joey last or even low, but the way I judged these was not on quality of songs but rather on theme and originality. I thought djerdap's list has both of those things going for it. I wish it would have placed higher.

Everyone kinda does this differently, but I've always tried to stick with the original theme: What would I want to be stuck with on a desert island?

Bonnie would have been my 3rd favorite.

11. LemonMirrorSky
138 points
Lowest placement: 17th
Top 5 placements: 2

Under a Lemon Mirror Sky: 24 Reasons Why I Love Music

b8jupj.jpg

Direct link for cover: Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
All I have to say is please listen to this playlist as a single entity from start to finish even though it is split up into 4 parts. Enjoy! :)

Part I:

1. Led Zeppelin – “In The Light” – Physical Graffiti (8:47)
2. The Beatles – “I’m Only Sleeping” – Revolver (3:02)
3. Cream – “World Of Pain” – Disraeli Gears (3:06)
4. The Byrds – “Eight Miles High” – Greatest Hits (3:36)
5. The Jimi Hendrix Experience – “Love Or Confusion” – Are You Experienced? (3:13)
6. Pink Floyd – “The Narrow Way: Part II” – Ummagumma (2:53)

Part II:

7. Radiohead – “The National Anthem” – Kid A (5:52)
8. Björk – “Isobel” – Post (5:47)
9. Sigur Ros – “Svefn-G-Englar” – Agaetis Byrjun (10:04)
10. Porcupine Tree – “Moon Touches Your Shoulder” – The Sky Moves Sideways (5:42)
11. The Verve – “Slide Away” – A Storm In Heaven (4:03)
12. The Flaming Lips – “Are You A Hypnotist??” – Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (4:45)

Part III

13. My Bloody Valentine – “Only Shallow” – Loveless (4:18)
14. Smashing Pumpkins – “Rocket” – Siamese Dream (4:07)
15. Pearl Jam – “Sleight Of Hand” – Binaural (4:48)
16. Muse – “Butterflies And Hurricanes” – Absolution (5:02)
17. David Bowie – “A New Career In A New Town” – Low (2:53)
18. Arcade Fire – “Rebellion (Lies)” – Funeral (5:11)

Part IV

19. Passengers – “Always Forever Now” – Original Soundtracks 1 (6:26)
20. Daft Punk – “Revolution 909” – Musique Vol. 1 1993-2005 (5:28)
21. Massive Attack – “Man Next Door” – Mezzanine (5:56)
22. Suede – “The Wild Ones” – Singles (4:15)
23. Blur – “To The End” – Parklife (4:05)
24. Roxy Music – “Avalon” – Avalon (4:17)

Total time: 1:57:22

Back
Top Bottom