Desert Island IX: Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Man, looking back on it, Prog Island was ridiculous and not in a good way.

I might be interested in a mini DI, but not if it's another Retro Island.

Here's an idea: we could do a theme DI with the twist being that everybody has a different genre (or time period, I suppose).

Now, we could either do this by individual choice (send me your choice via PM) or you could be assigned one from a pool, which could make for some good comedy. We would choose what's in the pool so it's not too crazy. Personally, I think it would be more fun/challenging that way, but I understand that the lists will be better if you have a choice.

I'd be about the specific time period DI, where we can each choose our own, but not if it's randomized. Also, I think it'd be healthy if there was nothing from 2000 or later in it after how much brand new stuff happened in this comp. Just personal thoughts.

I just did my own self-imposed time period list, so I'd prefer the theme to be something more...thematic.

We also did something called "Symphonic" Island. I think the theme was something along the lines of creating a story for a playlist and then judging it based on how well the two went together?

I'm not sure, someone help me out here.

Here's an idea: we could do a theme DI with the twist being that everybody has a different genre (or time period, I suppose).

Now, we could either do this by individual choice (send me your choice via PM) or you could be assigned one from a pool, which could make for some good comedy. We would choose what's in the pool so it's not too crazy. Personally, I think it would be more fun/challenging that way, but I understand that the lists will be better if you have a choice.

I like this. I've been wanting to do a jazz one, at least.

The Symphonic Album Game was nearly the peak of DI pretension, but it was handled properly.

I'd be keen on genre/time period, though I've essentially done a couple of those already - there was my Kiwi DI and my shoegaze list. I have a couple of Metal Island drafts up my sleeve that everybody will hate.

While assigning genres/time periods randomly sounds like a good lark on paper, I'm just not sure it's practical. What if I got soul or the 1950s? Cobbler got thrash metal? IWB got, well, lots of things?

And I've been wanting to do a hip hop one.

If we do this, no one can have the same genre, so time is of the essence on signup.

While assigning genres/time periods randomly sounds like a good lark on paper, I'm just not sure it's practical. What if I got soul or the 1950s? Cobbler got thrash metal? IWB got, well, lots of things?

:lol: Just throwing shit at the wall here.

I'd be about the specific time period DI, where we can each choose our own, but not if it's randomized. Also, I think it'd be healthy if there was nothing from 2000 or later in it after how much brand new stuff happened in this comp. Just personal thoughts.

I think the cutoff would be better placed at 2010. Stuff from 2002 is a pretty long time ago, considering some of us were in our mid-teens at that point.

And some of us were in our early 30s :sad:

Shit, cat.

Let people pick a genre/time period OR pick being given a random genre/time.

I want to be given one.

I think I might wait until the next big one. I've got a playlist in the works that I planned on entering in this one, but I'm only happy with the first 2/3rds of it. It's around 140-150 minutes.

I don't entirely understand this backlash against using newer stuff. Personally, I'd rather enjoy a Mini Island "Best of 2013" at the end of the year.

I don't entirely understand this backlash against using newer stuff. Personally, I'd rather enjoy a Mini Island "Best of 2013" at the end of the year.

The Best of the 2000s mini DI was awesome.

A Best of 2013 would be a disaster. You and I both know it would be all the same songs on most of the lists.

I think because there's so much discussion and sharing about new music that someone interested in exploring what the last year had to offer could do so with minimal effort. Like, we already compile lists at the end of every year.

A Best of 2013 would be a disaster. You and I both know it would be all the same songs on most of the lists.

Yeah I suppose there's too big a risk it would be quite homogenous. It's a shame, because if we would have one with a fair bit of diversity and run it in December, it could bring other people's attention to cool stuff they've missed before we do our year-end list shenanigans.

Friggin' Tinkerer.

I was annoyed I didn't finish it in time, because all your lists looked really, really good. LM sent me the links so if they haven't expired I plan on listening to a few of them.

I could easily break off the first half of my list and enter it in a mini-DI, since it's all a similar theme, but I'm keen to see if I can pull off a longer one, I never have before.

This would be 90% awful and 10% how the hell did I miss this. Which is still mostly awful.

Secret Santa genre thing sounds cool in theory, but if you give me shoegazey electro psychedelic pop, I will find you and destroy everything that you love.

The retro DI is ok, although I can guarantee mine will be all British punk rock and old school ny hardcore from that era rather than anything that falls under the vague blanket of new wave.

IWB, you keep grouping shoegaze and Tame Impala together, which just baffles me. Tame Impala are nowhere near shoegazey.

I think we should have a playlist exchange as part of the 2013 year-end list. Just not in a requirement style. I know Travis used to zip up a playlist of his favorites at the end of every year. Could be fun.

Back
Top Bottom