Desert Island IX: Master List, Part Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thunderous, sea-faring. Thank you, Jake. We should do taglines for our playlists next time instead of paragraphs.

peefer

Another great entry from you. An Alan Parsons sighting, even if it was just the intro. The transition to Gorillaz was as good as it could be without the ability to mix it directly into Kids With Guns, but I like the idea.

A lot of these songs are fairly straightforward new releases, but good quality nonetheless. Nice Bruce and Shearwater selections.

I liked Part 1 a bit better than Part 2, but the whole thing was pretty good, despite the lack of more older tunes. But when it comes down to it, it was a great listen and that's the most important part.

LM

So yeah, killer playlist. Captain Obvious, I know. Almost had that Shoes song on my mini DI. I probably would have ended it differently, but that's a minor quibble. Only a few artists on here that I don't care for (Wilco, Sufjan) but everything else was quite fantastic. Really liked how you transitioned from pure power pop, through some blues and country, to classics from George Harrison and Zeppelin to Arcade Fire and Pulp, and then going back to Dylan and the Stones. Some nice sequencing there.

So yeah, killer playlist.

Laz's list is unrelentingly sassy and a crash course in a decade's worth of deep cuts.

R.I.P. Zoots indeed.

LMS

Always good to see new participants in DI, as you never know what to expect.

Your playlist consisted of many artists and songs that I was already familiar with, the majority of which I like a lot. I'd rate Part IV the best - those last three songs are some of my all-time favorites.

I thought your transitions worked well, even going from one part to the other. Some artists that I've mentioned in the past not caring for are on here (i.e. Björk, Flaming Lips), but for the most part, it was a good listen. Glad you participated.

Laz

Zoots Rocks was pretty much fantastic all the way through. I was less enthused with Zoots Grooves, but loved the Robbie Robertson track, which admittedly I hadn't heard before, along with ones I already knew like The Prodigy, Fatboy Slim and Saint Etienne.

I was struck by the number of female artists (or female lead singers) included, which was gratifying to see and hear. More often than not, and I count myself in this criticism, we tend to overlook their contributions to music in a field dominated by guys. I thought you did a great job mixing them in, creating a nice balance between the two. Always great to hear women rock out...

Padj

Thought the first part of your playlist was phenomenal. Just a great run of songs. Obviously mentioned Second Skin already, but I hadn't heard the Noir Désir track before and really enjoyed it. The middle dragged a bit for me, but then it picked back up with great tracks from The Shins, The Stone Roses and Rain Parade.

The flow was executed very well throughout; I thought the songs blended together smoothly. Comes across as a moody piece that played well on headphones. Great DI entry.

You're gonna have to field this one, Laz. Upload your links, PM them to me and I'll pass them along to everyone.

Alright, just finished Laz's list.

My favorites off your list were the tracks by Spoon, Pizzicato Five, Jesus and the Mary Chain, and Supergrass. Some stuff where I thought I didn't care for was how samey the sames got. Neither genre is a genre that I particularly like much, but the flow was excellent regardless.

I think this is the first list of your I've listened to, unless I'm misremembering. It was interesting to get a look into the music you like as I think I know more about the stuff you don't like than the stuff that you do. Ha! I was not surprised to see Pavement and Super Furry Animals as I think I've seen you mention those bands quite a fair share. If there was something I'd take away from this that I need to investigate further, it's definitely Pavement. I think I've only ever heard a couple songs by them.

Anyway, although the genres weren't for me, I enjoyed this list and it was very well put together!

I had previously listened to Padj's list. It was just before I went on vacation awhile back and never got around to posting my thoughts on it. Alright. So the songs I dug most off this list were the ones by Wild Nothing, Tame Impala, Deerhunter, Pinback, and The Shins. The flow was really good overall and if I was going to take away one band I'd never really given a shot before, it'd be Pinback and maybe The Antlers. So thanks for that! I really liked the flow on this one too. Everyone's doing a damn good job on that front this time. Anyway, loads of shoegaze stuff is always good in my book! Very good list!

Okay I just downloaded Philsfan's list and was trying to play the first track and it asked me for some password. I know you guys had the same problem somewhere in this thread. How was it resolved? Can somebody maybe message me this password??

ETA: Oh, looks like the problem was only with the first song. I'll just youtube that one. Never mind.

Okay, the playlist started in a really grand manner with Sirius. Excellent choice! I almost expected Eye In The Sky to continue and then it segued very nicely into the Gorillaz track. Hadn't heard it before but I enjoyed it. I like Albarn.

From track 3 onwards... hmm, maybe it's just me but why do all these bands sound the same?? Passion Pit, M83, Animal Collective, Tame Impala... no matter what the name, they all have this high speed percussion, totally incomprehensible vocals, a shoegazey wall of sound and a weirdly psychedelic quality to them... these songs are so indistinguishable from each other that one can might as well just blend them all using audio software and make a nice long sound collage out of it. And almost in every case, the vocalist has a highly unremarkable and indistinct voice. How does such a playing field give birth to truly classic songs that people will remember for years and years? Only heaven knows! (if there is a heaven)

Moving on... the playlist recovered around Arcade Fire or so and currently I'm listening to Springsteen. :up:

Wow! Bat For Lashes' Laura... :ohmy: flat out the best song I've heard so far on this list!! :heart:

The second set of links for Mr. V? I got a second PM with new links. I haven't downloaded it yet.

Oh, no, this was the original set.

I still need the new ones(and Laz's, I didn't get those). Also the whole fourth set of links, because my inbox was full when El-Mel sent them out.

:huh:

Couldn't disagree more.

John Lennon had a distinct nasally voice. Freddie Mercury had a powerfully distinct killer of a voice! Michael Stipe has a very unique recognizable voice. And so does Eddie Vedder, which was imitated endlessly in the early part of the 00s. Heck, even Bono has a somewhat unique recognizable voice. Robert Plant is very unique! All these people are legends for a reason. From what I hear from the current crop of indie bands, there is nothing unique about many of them.

Songs like Wild Nothing's Rheya and Beach House's Wishes which I have admitted to liking during this contest, while being decent enough songs offer nothing distinct or groundbreaking, something people will remember for years to come. Wild Nothing sounds like a throwback to the 80s and Beach House is pretty enough but nothing special. Tame Impala, from what I've heard so far sounds like a drowned out John Lennon trying to make his way through a noisy, messy, sound collage.

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against any of these bands. I'm trying to give them a fair chance. I'm saying this as a new listener to these sounds and trying to sound as unbiased as possible but I need to be honest and speak my mind too.

There are also a few bright sparks like Bat For Lashes. 'Laura' was absolutely beautiful!

The rest of the list is going along pretty well actually.

I have warmed up to All To All by BSS even though I haven't the faintest clue what she is on about in the lyrics. But musically it is quite interesting I have to say. Kinda like how Sigur Ros is: lyrically detached but musically very pretty.

And The Geese Of Beverly Road is probably the first National track that I have actually enjoyed listening to, to my own surprise.

Back
Top Bottom