Desert Island IX: Master List, Part Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Several songs from Peef's lit are requiring me to enter some iTunes password? It pulls up Peef's Apple ID and says my computer is not authorized to play songs he purchased.
I looked into it and only the first track is protected. What other tracks are you having issues with?

Ok I guess it's just that one. Two other songs didn't copy into iTunes because I already had them.

I'll just YouTube the Alan Parsons song and rip it.

Okay. I'll try to send people a new link of that. I'm embarrassed that my actual name is being floated out to everyone via that log in, but whatever.

Lm's list as far as i've made it so far, is like a classic rock station, except that classic rock stations don't play that many different bands, and don't touch the replacements or pavement or anything like that. So lm's list is what a classic rock station should be. Unfortunately, all the songs I liked were ones I already knew, and a couple like ELO and the flying burrito brothers I've known and hated for ages, yet never knew whose they were. I figured lm's lights and music list from a little while back was excellent winter driving on a snowy, quiet night. This one is pretty much the exact opposite--perfect for summer daytime driving, just not really stuff I feel like listening to (outside a few songs like Elvis Costello, Springsteen, Tom Petty that I'd listen to any time) outside of that particular setting.

You know how a band will put out a song that you think is just ok, yet when you hear it unexpectedly--on the radio, most likely--it's all of a sudden awesome? The best way for me to describe your playlist would be mostly something I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to, but if it was on the radio I'd be pretty psyched about it and definitely leave it on that station.

LM, your list is quite a refreshing change to all the indie music I've been listening to lately! Not that I did not enjoy the indie stuff but this list of yours is sounding really good so far. The funny thing is, I've never even heard of some of these 70s bands like The Only Ones, Shoes, Raspberries etc. But these songs all sound interesting. :up:

Sometimes, you just need some good old fashioned rock. :drool:

With the week of all concert weeks ending for you...

I sent you my playlist last week via email. Can you forward me the links via that address? I'd like to start checking them out with vaca over.

:doh: That isn't my primary email anymore and sometimes I forget to check it. My apologies, I will rectify this.

EDIT: And I have. Check your email and enjoy.

LM, your list is quite a refreshing change to all the indie music I've been listening to lately! Not that I did not enjoy the indie stuff but this list of yours is sounding really good so far. The funny thing is, I've never even heard of some of these 70s bands like The Only Ones, Shoes, Raspberries etc. But these songs all sound interesting. :up:

* SPOILER *

:) I'm glad I could introduce you to some new bands. Ideally, I think DI lists should always strike a balance between comfortable and fresh, though this list plays it pretty safe. I did want to make the perfect list for diving alone down a sun-kissed highway.

Listened to two more of these:

Padj's list had top-notch flow, and created a really laid-back, chilled atmosphere for the most part, imo(there were a few more intense tracks). I think Tame Impala was the only song here that I already knew, so it was a list of discovery for me. Some of my favorite discoveries are Wild Nothing's "Ride", The Chameleons' "Second Skin", Jaki's "Mazes"(on which I heard some Radiohead influence), Brian Eno's "The True Wheel", Deerhunter's "Little Kids", The Shins' "The Past And Pending", The Stone Roses' "I Am The Resurrection", and The Anters' "Rolled Together".

This being a U2 board, I feel inclined to mention that in that Stone Roses song, I can really hear the influence they supposedly had(along with other Manchester bands) on Achtung Baby. You can really imagine U2 trying to incorporate things they heard in songs like this into their own sound, and given this influence and how much I enjoyed this song, I am inclined to listen to more of this group.

Good list, enjoyable vibe, and a handful of exciting discoveries!

---

El-Mel, you have consistently created top-tier lists, and this one is no exception. As someone else said, after all these indie-heavy lists, it's nice to see more traditional rock/pop-heavy lists here(the indie stuff is good too, but I think the more variety in DI competitions, the better).

There were plenty of songs here that I already knew and that deserve DI placement - Surrender(although I hadn't heard it in a while and had kind of forgotten it existed, so it was a pleasant re-discovery), Born To Run, Listen To Her Heart, It's Too Late, Tangerine(as I mentioned before), Bell Bottom Blues, October, Ocean Of Noise, and The Weight are favorite 'known' selections. Plenty of new discoveries as well - I really loved the Raspberries' "Go All The Way"(that melody is just beautiful, the kind I want to listen to over and over again), Todd Rundgren's "Long Flowing Robe", Electric Light Orchestra's "Evil Woman", George Harrison's "I'd Have You Anytime", Wilco's "At Last That's What You Said", Grateful Dead's "Box Of Rain", Belle & Sebastian's "Seeing Other People", Vince Guaraldi Trio's "Christmas Time Is Here", and Sufjan's "Come On! Feel The Illinois!".

Carole King, Todd Rundgren, and ELO were all artsits I was considering for my all-70s submission this time, so glad to see someone else giving them some love(King was a late cut for me, and I didn't get around to exploring Rundgren and ELO enough). I did use a selection from "All Things Must Pass" though as well as a Grateful Dead track though :)

I was surprised I enjoyed that Wilco song as much as I did, because YHF, their most acclaimed album, never did a whole lot for me. But if their other albums sound like this, then maybe I should check them out.

This is the second Belle & Sebastian song I've been turned onto in this DI, and it only makes me want to check them out more.

"Christmas Time Is Here" and the Sufjan song are gorgeous and a great way to close the list out.

On a side note, I also enjoyed the few country tracks, Waylon Jennings and Lucinda Williams. I had wanted to incorporate some country into my own list, but Dolly Parton is the only one that made the final cut(I just didn't want to cut anything else to make room for more, and my knowledge of country music isn't great), so I'm interested in hearing other peoples' country selections, particularly older ones like that Waylon Jennings track.

Good flow, great selections, great vibe. Good work!

Listened to two more of these:

Padj's list had top-notch flow, and created a really laid-back, chilled atmosphere for the most part, imo(there were a few more intense tracks). I think Tame Impala was the only song here that I already knew, so it was a list of discovery for me. Some of my favorite discoveries are Wild Nothing's "Ride", The Chameleons' "Second Skin", Jaki's "Mazes"(on which I heard some Radiohead influence), Brian Eno's "The True Wheel", Deerhunter's "Little Kids", The Shins' "The Past And Pending", The Stone Roses' "I Am The Resurrection", and The Anters' "Rolled Together".

This being a U2 board, I feel inclined to mention that in that Stone Roses song, I can really hear the influence they supposedly had(along with other Manchester bands) on Achtung Baby. You can really imagine U2 trying to incorporate things they heard in songs like this into their own sound, and given this influence and how much I enjoyed this song, I am inclined to listen to more of this group.

Good list, enjoyable vibe, and a handful of exciting discoveries!

---

Thanks! Glad you liked it :)

I listened to Laz and LM’s playlists this past weekend and both were amazing listens.

LM: I listened to your list during a roadtrip along the Hudson on a sunny Saturday, so it was pretty much the perfect setting to enjoy it. As others have said, it was a welcome change from the indie-heavy playlists (mine included) so far. There were lots of segments that I really liked, none more than the ending (from Belle & Sebastian to Sufjan). The ones that come to mind are Pavement through Taj Mahal and George Harrison through Wilco. I was very happy with how you integrated Lucinda Williams there (Car Wheels… is probably my favourite country record ever). The transition between Pulp and Arcade Fire was awesome, by the way. In all, a really great listen and the perfect soundtrack to my Saturday.

Laz: both of your lists were remarkably consistent, and consistently awesome. Also different than most of the lists in the competition so far, which was nice. I think I may have slightly preferred Grooves to Rocks, but it’s splitting hairs, really. The Rocks segment had that distinctly, lifting 1990s alternative rock sound that I really enjoy. Your lists were the ones with the largest number of artists I didn’t know, and I’ll certainly be checking them out soon. Los Amigos Invisibles -> Saint Etienne -> David Byrne was a fantastic sequence. I also liked the Pavement to Afghan Whigs sequence in the first part, and Super Furry Animals was a great way to end the first disc. I’m keeping your two lists in my iPod for the foreseeable future.

peef's list:
i probably hated it a lot less than he thought i would. i still despise tame impala, destroyer, japandroids, and am more than a bored with most of what would belong on a retrospective of peef's select choices from what is essentially a best of b&c as determined by those p4k-esque point end of the year lists from the past several years.

expected highlights: springsteen/okkervil/shearwater. gypsy biker is one of my favorite things about magic (although i'm a pretty big fan of a lot of things on there, that was definetly one my favorites). and animal joy was my album of the year pick for last year's list. and okkervil is great, in or outside of that sandwich of awesome. and i can't refuse an excuse to listen to the geese of beverly road, even if i didn't really like anything after stay until rem.

unexpected highlights: chairlift, bat for lashes, and twin shadow, the arcade fire. i may actually listen to the suburbs (i probably won't, but that song made me at least consider it). twin shadow does snyths AND 80s throwback that somehow manages to not annoy me (whereas animal collective, passion pit, m83 do electronic things that are going to sound as painfully dated as 80s synths do today 20-30 years from now). i can't see how i can like war on drugs and not like chairlift. and "laura" was fantastic.

SURPRISE! laz's disc 1 is my favorite thus far. fewest number of songs i already knew (i knew three going into it), and the largest number of songs i want to hear again. haven't gotten to disc 2 yet.

I've only listened to niels, LM, peef, and half of laz's lists so far, though. Still haven't finished tourist's. no longer having an iPod is really shitty for this.

Lemon Mirror Sky: your list was made up of artists I had all heard before, but you mostly stayed away from the biggest songs, so it was nice to dig deeper into the catalogues. The four sections were well-conceived, though for some reason I forgot to mentally note the change from Part 1 to Part 2. Oddly enough, the transition from Hendrix to Pink Floyd to Radiohead worked anyway!

My one quibble is that parts 1 and 3 both opened with songs that are already album openers (In The Light and Only Shallow). Great tracks but it would have been nicer to see them recontextualized.

Lemon Mirror Sky: your list was made up of artists I had all heard before, but you mostly stayed away from the biggest songs, so it was nice to dig deeper into the catalogues. The four sections were well-conceived, though for some reason I forgot to mentally note the change from Part 1 to Part 2. Oddly enough, the transition from Hendrix to Pink Floyd to Radiohead worked anyway!

My one quibble is that parts 1 and 3 both opened with songs that are already album openers (In The Light and Only Shallow). Great tracks but it would have been nicer to see them recontextualized.

Not to quibble over minutiae or anything, but In The Light is a disc opener, but not technically an album opener. But still an opener so I guess it doesn't make a difference.

:nerd:

LMS's list is up next for me too.

Yeah, I listen to Disc 2 of Physical Graffiti so much more than Disc 1 which is why it has such a place of prominence in my mind.

But as you said, pretty much the same thing.

So far i've caught Padj's and Phils playlists. Enjoyed them both greatly. I quite like every band on Phil's list, though i've never been the biggest fan of Springsteen, he's always felt like someone I should like but I do tend to find him a bit bland, but anyways aside from that I liked every song on there and there was a good flow to the music.

My only criticism really is i'm starting to feel like some lists come across quite similar, which is likely because there is quite a similar taste in music on this forum well at least those of us who partake in the Bang and the Clatter, but a few more oddities and curve-balls really help lists stand out and make them memorable.

Padj's list I really liked there was a good mood to it, and it flowed really well, plus it introduced me to some new artists and artists i'm less familiar with, Noir Desir, Chameleons, Mazes, Rain Parade etc. Also I think he included the first non-english language song in the contest so far with Noir Desir (MrBrau would approve way back when). I really enjoyed it, though not again dissimilar in music genre and style to other lists, the choice of some less familiar artists really helps and its what I kinda view this contest should be about getting people into new music.

Listened to Padj's and LMS's lists today. Padj's list had a good flow overal. Lots of artists I didn't know. Some of those I enjoyed a great deal, some others a bit less. I'd always wanted to check out The Chameleons but I'd never done so, so I'm glad Second Skin was on there. Probably my favorite track of the whole playlist, along with We Float which would have been a better closer mainly as I'm not big on that particular Antlers song. I also really liked the opening track and Alter Ego. Solar system was interesting as well. Only song I truly disliked was Hot Asphalt. The Pogues are definitely not for me.

Now LMS. I wasn't a fan of part 1. For some reason a lot of classic rock doesn't do much for me so it just wasn't my cup of tea. The first two tracks were great but those others didn't interest me all that much. Part 2 was almost the complete opposite as that was totally up my alley. Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Porcupine Tree... All great artists and song selections. I can say nearly the same about parts 3 and 4 though it wasn't as obvious there. Songs I didn't know and really liked include In the Light, Sleight of Hand and Moon Touches your Shoulder. The flow was very good as well but not spectacular.

One thing in general that I'd like to mention is the fact that there's so much dream pop (or whatever you call it) in a lot of these playlists. I like that genre to a certain extent but I can't listen to too much of it without getting bored. Just something I noticed after having heard 5-6 playlists.

I've finished with LemonMelon's...mixed bag, nothing I actively disliked, but there were parts which i'm just not interested in and then it would oh I quite like this song. It's one of the more distinctive lists in the competition and one of the few to contain instrumentals. There were lot of songs I liked such as The Only Ones, the Jam, Belle & Sebastien, Pavement and the Replacements of course, just some of the more Classic rock stuff wearies me a bit tis all.

Back
Top Bottom