Desert Island IX: Master List, Part Two - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #121
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:57 AM
Alright, just listened to PhilsFan's list and it's probably the best Desert Island list I've ever heard thusfar with regard to matching up with my taste in music. There were multiple extremely strong sections, but Gorillaz to Twin Shadow takes the absolute cake. There was quite a bit here that I've heard a lot about but haven't actually heard much of, and I'll need to investigate further: Sun Airway, Destroyer (saxophoneless!), St. Vincent, Chairlift, Dum Dum Girls, EMA, and Chromatics. There were a couple patches I didn't care for as much (Bowie through Shearwater just isn't my thing) but it still flowed pretty well. Also I've made it known that I don't care for REM - something about Michael Stipe's voice just really grates on me, which is too bad because I liked the music portion of the track, and I already shared my thoughts on that BSS track on a different list. Just not my thing. Anyway, again, fantastic list and I'm going to take away quite a bit of it into my list of "must investigate further" artists.

Next up will be LemonMirrorSky.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #122
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:57 PM
LemonMirrorSky:

Your list is like one classic after another. So many great tracks from Zeppelin, the Beatles, Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips, Passengers, Bowie, Pearl Jam, and Smashing Pumpkins, as well as tracks I hadn't heard before from Floyd, Cream, JHE, Porcupine Tree, and Bjork, among others...just a great list. Really enjoyed it. Also, the transition from The National Anthem to the Bjork track was probably one of my favorite segues in this DI so far. The flow with those two tracks and the Sigur Ros track was impeccable...actually the flow for the whole thing was really good.

Great job man.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #123
War Child

Just finished Philsfan's list and I have to say that I enjoyed the second half more than the first. Continuing from Springsteen:

Really liked Gypsy Biker.. first time I heard it!

Okkervil River I didn't care for so much but Shearwater was interesting.

St. Vincent was not bad and Bat For Lashes was stunning!

I also really like that Norah Jones and DM track now... Black. Somebody else had it on their list too.

Last Shadow Puppets was certainly interesting and Radiohead... lol... it is probably my least fav track on the otherwise great In Rainbows but the flow between these 2 tracks was really good!

Chairlift was ok. BSS and National I already commented on.

Stay is of course classic but... I felt the flow from National to U2 here was a bit jarring.

Beach House... lol. I really liked that Wishes track that somebody put on their list but this track I could not get into. At least not on 2 listens.

Girls was interesting. I quite liked their Carolina song I think. And this was also pretty cool.

Dum Dum Girls was certainly nice and had a memorable structure to it.

John Misty didn't stick in my head and EMA I felt was a bit boring.

Flips and Cat Power were nice. Washed Out was also quite pleasing.

In fact, I enjoyed the rest of the list. Lykke Li was very interesting. Really liked that outro thing there.

Overall, good list actually although I really could not get into some stuff like Animal Collective, M83, Impala etc.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #124
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
LemonMirrorSky:

Your list is like one classic after another. So many great tracks from Zeppelin, the Beatles, Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips, Passengers, Bowie, Pearl Jam, and Smashing Pumpkins, as well as tracks I hadn't heard before from Floyd, Cream, JHE, Porcupine Tree, and Bjork, among others...just a great list. Really enjoyed it. Also, the transition from The National Anthem to the Bjork track was probably one of my favorite segues in this DI so far. The flow with those two tracks and the Sigur Ros track was impeccable...actually the flow for the whole thing was really good.

Great job man.
Hey thanks a lot, dude! Haven't you heard Floyd's Ummagumma and Björk's Post?? Anyway, I really worked this list to death to perfect both flow and inclusion of great songs. Glad you enjoyed it!

Btw I want to say that despite not being able to get into some of the new indie stuff, I have also discovered some gems thanks to this contest! I am definitely looking forward to getting much more into Natasha Khan, for example. Will probably start with her first album I guess. She reminds me of Tori Amos in a way (not surprised since Kate Bush is one of her influences) and looks like Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction. Kickass!
Old 09-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #125
Blue Crack Addict

Alright, LMS's list is just now finishing up and the first thing that struck me about it was the use of bands whose singers are difficult to understand after faulting Animal Collective, Tame Impala [], and Passion Pit [bigger ]. But yeah, the Radiohead, Bjork, and Sigur Ros, to me, have far less distinguished vocals.

Anyway, onto my actual thoughts on the list....

The first part had some deeper cuts than I'm used to seeing from these bands, although nothing is a deep cut when it's done by The Beatles (at least for me). Pretty strong section even if I do find the keyboards on In the Light to be pretty terribly cheesy. The second part had some pretty awesome stuff I was familiar with like The National Anthem and Are You a Hypnotist?? and a song I'd all but forgotten but that's awesome in Moon Touches Your Shoulder. I've never cared for Bjork and much of The Verve though. Also, that Sigur Ros song was pretty long. The third part was probably the part I connected with the most. Love Sleight of Hand and Rebellion a whole lot, and Only Shallow is a classic. In the final section I really liked The Wild Ones and To The End a lot. I'd never heard either before as I've never really been grabbed by either of those bands. I didn't really care for the electronica stuff in this section, though. Overall I thought the flow was just fine apart from a couple odd transitions.

Very good first submission to the Desert Island world!

Next up is LemonMelon and then onto the third group!
Old 09-12-2013, 02:21 AM   #126
War Child

Thanks for your comments, tourist. Yeah I only wrote what I felt honestly. But music is something that hits you when you least expect it. So who knows, maybe one of the days when my iTunes is on shuffle I might stumble into and suddenly start liking something I don't care for right now. It has happened in the past.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #127
Blue Crack Addict

So I listened to LemonMelon's list yesterday while at work but didn't have a chance to post my thoughts on it then, so here goes now:

First and formost, as usual, the flow was impeccable. Just simply fantastic pacing and the songs melded together in a good way. There was some good stuff here that I knew but never knew who it was by and some good stuff I'd never heard before. The tracks by Cheap Trick, The Replacements, Badfinger, and Carole King were all ones that I knew the song but never knew who it was by. All are fantastic songs that I might need to pick up the albums of when I have a chance. The section from George Harrison through Arcade Fire was my favourite consecutive section, closely followed by The Replacements through Electric Light Orchestra. A couple tracks that surprised me are the ones by Arcade Fire (I've never heard Neon Bible in its entirety, but hadn't liked anything I'd heard from it until this song) and Wilco (never really been a fan, but that was a darn good song). I don't really have anything bad to say about this list other than a few of the songs just didn't click with me as much as some of the others.

It's weird to say this is probably your best list I've heard, since you've won in the past, but damn if it isn't an awesome list!

Next up will be group three. Gonna start with Phanan. I've already listened to namkcuR's list and I'll post on that shortly.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #128
War Child

Listening to Lazarus' list now. I see that you have completely steered clear of 90s favourites like Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden etc. But it's cool. The indie scene deserves its own place. So far I'm digging Jesus & Mary Chain, Sugar, Lemonheads, Veruca Salt and Lou Reed. The flow is pretty good and the whole thing really does rock! Haven't got to Disc 2 yet.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #129
War Child

Liked Supergrass and Material Issue.

Is that Bernard Sumner on Electronic? Really liked that track!

On to Zoots Grooves... haha mexican flavor?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #130
War Child

The first couple of tracks on Zoots Grooves were actually kinda refreshing and interesting. But after that your playlist didn't really grab me until Cornershop. I'm of course familiar with the superb Brimful of Asha. Didn't know this one. Enjoyed it!

Moving on to the electronic section of your playlist, I found it interesting that you stayed away from the regular album or single versions of many of these tracks. But somehow I simply could not get into this mix of Protection you had on here. I absolutely adore the original version that appears on the album btw!

The Robbie Robertson track was excellent! Really loved the percussion and groove and also the storytelling style of singing!

Tricky was okay. Was not really bowled over.

Prodigy's Diesel Power is fucking kickass! And you used the original too. I love Fat of the Land. Fantastic album!

Gangster Tripping was cool. Oddly enough I didn't remember this though I do own their Greatest Hits and know a handful of their stuff like Rockafeller Skank, Right Here Right Now and Praise You.

Quite liked Jumbo by Underworld.

And this Walking Wounded remix was nice even if I prefer the original. I almost used the original in my own list right next to Man Next Door.

Overall, I think I actually enjoyed the Grooves section more than Rocks. I think partly it has to do with familiarity and love of late 90s electronica. Good stuff!
Old 09-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #131
Blue Crack Supplier

Thanks for the detailed comments. Yes, I was definitely trying to steer away from the more obvious tracks, while still trying to play inviting stuff. Main goal was to expose people to as much unknown material or artists as possible.

And yes, Bernard Sumner is actually the singer on all of Electronic's work. He co-founded the band with Johnny Marr. All three albums are worth hearing, though the one that track is from is probably the best.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #132
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
So I listened to LemonMelon's list yesterday while at work but didn't have a chance to post my thoughts on it then, so here goes now:

First and formost, as usual, the flow was impeccable. Just simply fantastic pacing and the songs melded together in a good way. There was some good stuff here that I knew but never knew who it was by and some good stuff I'd never heard before. The tracks by Cheap Trick, The Replacements, Badfinger, and Carole King were all ones that I knew the song but never knew who it was by. All are fantastic songs that I might need to pick up the albums of when I have a chance. The section from George Harrison through Arcade Fire was my favourite consecutive section, closely followed by The Replacements through Electric Light Orchestra. A couple tracks that surprised me are the ones by Arcade Fire (I've never heard Neon Bible in its entirety, but hadn't liked anything I'd heard from it until this song) and Wilco (never really been a fan, but that was a darn good song). I don't really have anything bad to say about this list other than a few of the songs just didn't click with me as much as some of the others.

It's weird to say this is probably your best list I've heard, since you've won in the past, but damn if it isn't an awesome list!

Next up will be group three. Gonna start with Phanan. I've already listened to namkcuR's list and I'll post on that shortly.
Always a treat to receive comments, especially this late in the game. Really glad you liked it. Early Cheap Trick (up to and including At Budokan) and Badfinger (everything up to Straight Up + Wish You Were Here) are absolutely worth your time. Since you love the Beatles, Badfinger in particular is a no brainer. Come and Get It is literally just a repurposed Paul McCartney song. Tapestry by Carole King contains several entries in the Great American Songbook.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #133
ONE
love, blood, life

Can someone PM me Laz's new links? I never got them. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #134
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Can someone PM me Laz's new links? I never got them. Thanks.
Sent.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #135
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMirrorSky View Post
Sent.
Thanks!