Desert Island IX: Master List, Part Two - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #106
The Male

Local Time: 05:43 PM
Sent.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:57 AM   #107
War Child

Local Time: 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Will do.

I'M NOT GOING TO LET YOU DOWN, ZOOTS.

Wow you must really miss this former poster or whoever. You've put the sad smiley with regards to him/her on numerous occasions.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:31 AM   #108
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:43 PM
He was a special guy.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #109
Blue Crack Addict

Alright, just finished Laz's list.

My favorites off your list were the tracks by Spoon, Pizzicato Five, Jesus and the Mary Chain, and Supergrass. Some stuff where I thought I didn't care for was how samey the sames got. Neither genre is a genre that I particularly like much, but the flow was excellent regardless.

I think this is the first list of your I've listened to, unless I'm misremembering. It was interesting to get a look into the music you like as I think I know more about the stuff you don't like than the stuff that you do. Ha! I was not surprised to see Pavement and Super Furry Animals as I think I've seen you mention those bands quite a fair share. If there was something I'd take away from this that I need to investigate further, it's definitely Pavement. I think I've only ever heard a couple songs by them.

Anyway, although the genres weren't for me, I enjoyed this list and it was very well put together!
Old 09-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

I had previously listened to Padj's list. It was just before I went on vacation awhile back and never got around to posting my thoughts on it. Alright. So the songs I dug most off this list were the ones by Wild Nothing, Tame Impala, Deerhunter, Pinback, and The Shins. The flow was really good overall and if I was going to take away one band I'd never really given a shot before, it'd be Pinback and maybe The Antlers. So thanks for that! I really liked the flow on this one too. Everyone's doing a damn good job on that front this time. Anyway, loads of shoegaze stuff is always good in my book! Very good list!
Old 09-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #111
ONE
love, blood, life

Mr. V's links also seem to be expired.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #112
War Child

Okay I just downloaded Philsfan's list and was trying to play the first track and it asked me for some password. I know you guys had the same problem somewhere in this thread. How was it resolved? Can somebody maybe message me this password??

ETA: Oh, looks like the problem was only with the first song. I'll just youtube that one. Never mind.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #113
War Child

Okay, the playlist started in a really grand manner with Sirius. Excellent choice! I almost expected Eye In The Sky to continue and then it segued very nicely into the Gorillaz track. Hadn't heard it before but I enjoyed it. I like Albarn.

From track 3 onwards... hmm, maybe it's just me but why do all these bands sound the same?? Passion Pit, M83, Animal Collective, Tame Impala... no matter what the name, they all have this high speed percussion, totally incomprehensible vocals, a shoegazey wall of sound and a weirdly psychedelic quality to them... these songs are so indistinguishable from each other that one can might as well just blend them all using audio software and make a nice long sound collage out of it. And almost in every case, the vocalist has a highly unremarkable and indistinct voice. How does such a playing field give birth to truly classic songs that people will remember for years and years? Only heaven knows! (if there is a heaven)

Moving on... the playlist recovered around Arcade Fire or so and currently I'm listening to Springsteen.

Wow! Bat For Lashes' Laura... flat out the best song I've heard so far on this list!!
Old 09-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #114
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMirrorSky View Post
And almost in every case, the vocalist has a highly unremarkable and indistinct voice.

Couldn't disagree more.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #115
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Mr. V's links also seem to be expired.
The second set of links for Mr. V? I got a second PM with new links. I haven't downloaded it yet.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #116
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
The second set of links for Mr. V? I got a second PM with new links. I haven't downloaded it yet.
Oh, no, this was the original set.

I still need the new ones(and Laz's, I didn't get those). Also the whole fourth set of links, because my inbox was full when El-Mel sent them out.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #117
Blue Crack Addict

Check your PM box. I just forwarded both messages.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Check your PM box. I just forwarded both messages.
Thanks!
Old 09-10-2013, 02:54 AM   #119
War Child

Quote:

Couldn't disagree more.
John Lennon had a distinct nasally voice. Freddie Mercury had a powerfully distinct killer of a voice! Michael Stipe has a very unique recognizable voice. And so does Eddie Vedder, which was imitated endlessly in the early part of the 00s. Heck, even Bono has a somewhat unique recognizable voice. Robert Plant is very unique! All these people are legends for a reason. From what I hear from the current crop of indie bands, there is nothing unique about many of them.

Songs like Wild Nothing's Rheya and Beach House's Wishes which I have admitted to liking during this contest, while being decent enough songs offer nothing distinct or groundbreaking, something people will remember for years to come. Wild Nothing sounds like a throwback to the 80s and Beach House is pretty enough but nothing special. Tame Impala, from what I've heard so far sounds like a drowned out John Lennon trying to make his way through a noisy, messy, sound collage.

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against any of these bands. I'm trying to give them a fair chance. I'm saying this as a new listener to these sounds and trying to sound as unbiased as possible but I need to be honest and speak my mind too.

There are also a few bright sparks like Bat For Lashes. 'Laura' was absolutely beautiful!
Old 09-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #120
War Child

The rest of the list is going along pretty well actually.

I have warmed up to All To All by BSS even though I haven't the faintest clue what she is on about in the lyrics. But musically it is quite interesting I have to say. Kinda like how Sigur Ros is: lyrically detached but musically very pretty.

And The Geese Of Beverly Road is probably the first National track that I have actually enjoyed listening to, to my own surprise.