Desert Island IX: Master List, Part Two - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #136
War Child

Local Time: 01:34 AM
Thanks everyone for their comments. I've been quite busy writing my thesis this last couple of months so I'm a bit late on commenting on every entry.

Lazarus - your playlist was right up my alley. Liked pretty much every song. Some artists I didn't know, but the nicest surprises came by those I knew by name but hadn't yet explored, like Electronic and Happy Mondays. A great entry on many accounts Also, that Liz Phair track is one of my favourite of hers.

PhilsFan - I think we might share the same taste in a good deal of the music released in the last couple of years, so my only complaint is that I already knew and loved about half of the tracks. The flow was great and I rediscovered also some artists I overlooked - like Father John Misty.

LemonMelon - Wow, a lot of nice discoveries here. I fell in love with pretty much half of the tracks. I found myself singing Jackie Blue in the shower more times that I like to admit in the following days. I also liked how you put artists like Belle & Sebastian and Lucinda Williams in the mix. I thought the association of songs was very creative.

LemonMirrorSky - I was familiar with almost all the songs, and some of them, particularly in the second part of the playlist, were favourites of mine (Only Shallow may be my all time favourite song, actually) so of course I enjoyed your playlist a great deal. The flow was very well conceived.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #137
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:34 PM
Listened to Laz's list earlier today.

The first disc started out slow for me, but picked up later on. While I knew a lot of the artists, all of the songs were new to me. There were a handful of tracks that I dug, namely Bettie Serveert, Veruca Salt, Lou Reed, Sammy, The Wannadies, Shudder To Think, Boy Wonder, and Electronic. The flow was pretty good throughout this disc.

The second disc started out strong with Pizzicato Five and Los Amigos Invisibles, but it was uneven for me after that. I liked Happy Mondays(well, the music anyway, didn't really care for the vocals), David Byrne, Robbie Robertson, Underworld, and Everything But The Girl(great ambiance on those last two) though, so that's good. Again, good flow throughout.

Good job, appreciate the exposure to music from the 90s that I was/am unfamiliar with, and if the list exposed me to 10+ new songs that I like that I didn't know before, that's a success, right? That is the point of these things, and who knows, maybe some of these artists have other work that I'll like even better. I hope you keep competing in these, Laz.

And with that, I've come to the end of this yellow brick road. My rankings will be in sometime this evening. BTW, working on these rankings, I think I'm not as strongly in favor of them as I thought I was. It's too arbitrary, especially after the first few lists in your rankings, and I feel like every single list exposed me to new music that I wouldn't have been listening to otherwise, so I hate to rank anybody at the bottom of the list.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #138
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:34 PM
Finally posting these:

Peef
- Your song selection was just fantastic. I wish there had, maybe, been a bit more of a time period variety, but these are some of the best songs to have come out recently, so it's an empty complaint.

I think I knew more songs on the second half, but I may have enjoyed the first half just a touch more.

Travis - Well, you were in the car with me when I listened to your list, so you already know how I feel, but this was a great selection of music. From my own list, I'm sure it comes as no surprise that I am fond of radio-ish lists, which is exactly what yours was. Great one!

LMS - Loved the psychedelic section, but the second section was fairly phenomenal, great flow as well. Section 3 was almost entirely comprised of songs I have heard, but not in ages and ages (last two tracks aside), but they were all the sounds I loved most by those particular bands, this might have been my favorite section hard to tell between two and three. "Sleight of Hand" was the only one I didn't already know and it was really great. I'm sure Arcade Fire would combust at knowing you put them next to David Bowie

On paper, I was most dubious about section 4, but right off the bat, I guess I forgot how intense Always Forever Now is. Worked surprisingly well into Daft Punk. Not certain about the transition into Suede, but who cares? Song's gorgeous. After that flow-bump, everything ended beautifully...especially since Avalon is one of my favorite songs. Well done, great list!

Lazarus: Loved the first half of this list. I've been listening to so much of this type of music recently because of all of the acts at Riot Fest (I saw Bob Mould, Guided by Voices and Dinosaur Jr. and saw Jesus and Mary Chain there last year) and even for the bands I wasn't listening to, it's all a very similar feel that I'm very into right now. Really enjoyed the Helium track. Never heard of them before. Balentine was also a great track, so a nice back-to-back duo there. Thanks to the similarities of style, the flow is fantastic, also. Think I'll be checking out more by The Lemonheads...Strange hearing a song like that by Lou Reed...is that whole album like that? Alright, I'm done naming every single song...I haven't heard anything by most of these bands and it looks like I'll be rectifying that for most of them soon. I even liked the Liz Phair track, but to be fair, I'm only familiar with her newer stuff, which I basically hate. Nice, well-paced transition into some of the funkier material near the end. I'd forgotten all about Electronic. Kinda surprised you didn't also use Regret

As for the second half: I like what you did with this. Zoots would be proud, I think. Saint Etienne is another of those, "Why haven't I heard anything by them yet?" and they're worse, because I always say that about them. But generally, a few odder tracks aside, this is also a slam dunk, which surprises me, because looking at it on paper, I didn't expect to like the second half at all. There's even something Cornershop-related here that I like, which is even more impressive than me liking that Liz Phair track. Also, and I'm sure you've mentioned this before...what do you think of The Prodigy's New Order cover?

Great list, man. Really enjoyed it. You can certainly bring out the best in the 90s, but we should expect that from you

Padj: Your list starts and ends like one I would almost expect to make myself. Can't give you enough props for having "Ride" on there . I haven't heard Bossanova in a long time, so I was surprised to hear a song that actually fit well in this section from The Pixies. I couldn't think of which Chameleons song that was by name, which is sad, because it's one of my absolute favorites (not hard to find one of those, though. What an album)!

Pretty sure that's only the second Pinback song I've ever heard, but it was great. Add another band to the list.

And then there's Tame Impala...no, actually, this is one of the few songs from Innerspeaker I recall actually liking.

Eno track reminded me a lot of Berlin-Era Bowie and what a fantastic transition. I love doing stuff like that. Well done

Nice, solid list, Padj. Flowed nicely and the tracks actually pretty much all went well together, not sure I expected that when I first looked at it.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #139
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Listened to Laz's list earlier today.

The first disc started out slow for me, but picked up later on. While I knew a lot of the artists, all of the songs were new to me. There were a handful of tracks that I dug, namely Bettie Serveert, Veruca Salt, Lou Reed, Sammy, The Wannadies, Shudder To Think, Boy Wonder, and Electronic. The flow was pretty good throughout this disc.

The second disc started out strong with Pizzicato Five and Los Amigos Invisibles, but it was uneven for me after that. I liked Happy Mondays(well, the music anyway, didn't really care for the vocals), David Byrne, Robbie Robertson, Underworld, and Everything But The Girl(great ambiance on those last two) though, so that's good. Again, good flow throughout.

Good job, appreciate the exposure to music from the 90s that I was/am unfamiliar with, and if the list exposed me to 10+ new songs that I like that I didn't know before, that's a success, right? That is the point of these things, and who knows, maybe some of these artists have other work that I'll like even better. I hope you keep competing in these, Laz.
Thank you, sir. These kind of remarks make the experience quite pleasurable, as there are few things I enjoy more than turning people on to films or music they may not have heard of or got around to checking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Lazarus: Loved the first half of this list. I've been listening to so much of this type of music recently because of all of the acts at Riot Fest (I saw Bob Mould, Guided by Voices and Dinosaur Jr. and saw Jesus and Mary Chain there last year) and even for the bands I wasn't listening to, it's all a very similar feel that I'm very into right now. Really enjoyed the Helium track. Never heard of them before. Balentine was also a great track, so a nice back-to-back duo there. Thanks to the similarities of style, the flow is fantastic, also. Think I'll be checking out more by The Lemonheads...Strange hearing a song like that by Lou Reed...is that whole album like that? Alright, I'm done naming every single song...I haven't heard anything by most of these bands and it looks like I'll be rectifying that for most of them soon. I even liked the Liz Phair track, but to be fair, I'm only familiar with her newer stuff, which I basically hate. Nice, well-paced transition into some of the funkier material near the end. I'd forgotten all about Electronic. Kinda surprised you didn't also use Regret

As for the second half: I like what you did with this. Zoots would be proud, I think. Saint Etienne is another of those, "Why haven't I heard anything by them yet?" and they're worse, because I always say that about them. But generally, a few odder tracks aside, this is also a slam dunk, which surprises me, because looking at it on paper, I didn't expect to like the second half at all. There's even something Cornershop-related here that I like, which is even more impressive than me liking that Liz Phair track. Also, and I'm sure you've mentioned this before...what do you think of The Prodigy's New Order cover?
Helium's The Dirt Of Luck was a real standout of Matador's lineup from that period, and I was exposed to it primarily because I was living in Boston at the time it came out, and the local alternative weekly printed a great review of the album since the band hailed from the city. You'd to be very impressed by the inventiveness of the whole album, musically and lyrically.

Bettie Serveert is a band I've long championed, and one that is still putting out quality music. Their debut (Palomine) is for many their best, but later works like Log 22 more fully showcase their range. If you like Velvet Underground-style alt-rock with a singer that will remind you often of Jenny Lewis, they have a deep catalogue that will reward you over and over again.

Yes, Lou Reed's Set The Twilight Reeling has a lot of that dirty guitar, and on that album, he's not sharing the axe duties with anyone. There's even a 7+ minute that has some feedback-drenched jamming that must be heard. Perhaps his most aggressively rocking albums and one of my Top 3 of his.

Liz Phair's early work is nearly without peer among singer-songwriters of the 90s, and if you could enjoy that track, you will find a lot to like in her first three albums (all for Matador).

Saint Etienne's fans all have their own favorites, the clean, 60s continental pop on Good Humour has always been my favorite. There's even a bonus disc with a whole other album's worth of material almost as good. Should you choose to find a used copy somewhere.

Don't think I'm familiar with the Prodigy/NO cover? I did at one point have a song from Republic in the mix, but I couldn't flow in and out of it well enough. Sadly, at that point the band wasn't as ahead of their time in terms of dance sounds, and those songs didn't seem to fit amongst the other stuff. Which is why I made it a point to get Electronic on the rock-oriented section.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #140
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post

Don't think I'm familiar with the Prodigy/NO cover?
That's cause I'm flippin' stupid and mixed The Prodigy up with Orgy.

Thanks for all of the recommendations. I do appreciate them. I haven't been listening to much music lately, but I'm pretty anxious to get back into it now.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #141
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
LMS - Loved the psychedelic section, but the second section was fairly phenomenal, great flow as well. Section 3 was almost entirely comprised of songs I have heard, but not in ages and ages (last two tracks aside), but they were all the sounds I loved most by those particular bands, this might have been my favorite section hard to tell between two and three. "Sleight of Hand" was the only one I didn't already know and it was really great. I'm sure Arcade Fire would combust at knowing you put them next to David Bowie

On paper, I was most dubious about section 4, but right off the bat, I guess I forgot how intense Always Forever Now is. Worked surprisingly well into Daft Punk. Not certain about the transition into Suede, but who cares? Song's gorgeous. After that flow-bump, everything ended beautifully...especially since Avalon is one of my favorite songs. Well done, great list!
Thanks for the comments. You know, I was having a hard time segueing anything into Rebellion (Lies) because it starts so damn abruptly. And I was racking my brain as to what would go well with it. Finally, it dawned on me that Bowie's A New Career In A New Town has almost the exact same beat as Rebellion! So it was a win-win as generally Bowie and Arcade Fire go well together anyway. It's not the greatest transition I know, but it was the best I could do with Rebellion (Lies)... a song that is ridiculously difficult to segue into without using mixing/fader software. It would've been easier if Rebellion had a single version.

As for part 4, I hope you didn't accidentally skip Massive Attack's Man Next Door. Daft Punk was supposed to segue into Massive Attack followed by Suede.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #142
Blue Crack Distributor

Ah well, maybe that's what happened!
Old 10-03-2013, 03:04 AM   #143
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Lazarus

BACK TO THE 90s (for ZOOTS)

A tribute to one of our fallen soldiers via his favorite decade.

Zoots Rocks

Part One is a look at alt. rock on both sides of the Atlantic, eschewing the more roots-based acts of the time period. Some fresh indie faces, as well as a few veterans turning up the volume.

1. The Jesus & Mary Chain - "Stardust Remedy" - Munki (2:26)
2. Frank Black - "Thalassocracy" - Teenager Of The Year (1:33)
3. Guided By Voices - "Your Name Is Wild' - Under The Bushes, Under The Stars (2:02)
4. Sugar - "Gee Angel" - File Under: Easy Listening (3:57)
5. The Lemonheads - "The Great Big No" - Come On Feel The Lemonheads (2:52)
6. Spoon - "Loss Leaders" - Soft Effects (EP) (3:29)
7. Helium - "Pat's Trick" - The Dirt Of Luck (3:20)
8. Bettie Serveert - "Balentine" - Palomine (4:12)
9. Dinosaur Jr. - "Yeah Right" - Without A Sound (2:47)
10. Veruca Salt - "Get Back" - American Thighs (3:13)
11. Lou Reed - "Egg Cream" - Set The Twilight Reeling (5:18)
12. Sammy - "Neptune Ave. (Ortho Hi Rise)" - Tales Of Great Neck Glory (3:56)
13. Liz Phair - "Cinco De Mayo" - Whip-Smart (2:44)
14. Pavement - "Harness Your Hopes" - Spit On A Stranger (single) (3:27)
15. The Wannadies - "Oh Yes (It's A Mess)" - Bagsy Me (4:23)
16. Shudder To Think - "Resident Wine" - 50,000 B.C. (3:34)
17. The Afghan Whigs - "Blame, Etc." - Black Love (4:12)
18. Supergrass - "Cheapskate" - In It For The Money (2:43)
19. Material Issue - "Diane" - International Pop Overthrow (2:57)
20. Boy Wonder - "Ladder" - Wonder Wear (3:44)
21. Sleeper - "Lie Detector" - The It Girl (2:32)
22. Electronic - "Late At Night" - Twisted Tenderness (4:14)
23. Super Furry Animals - "Ice Hockey Hair" - Ice Hockey Hair (single) (6:58)

TRT (1:20:21)

Zoots Grooves

Side two is a tour of rhythm-based/electronic music of the decade, beginning with retro/global pop and proceeding through trip-hop/downtempo, Big Beat, drum 'n' bass, etc. Hip-hop only pokes its head in briefly through crossover, as that genre really necessitates its own compilation.

1. Pizzicato Five - "Baby Portable Rock (baby Mexican Rock version)"
- Combinasion Spaciale (EP) - (4:30)
2. Los Amigos Invisibles - "Sexy" - The New Sound of the Venezuelan Gozadera - (3:25)
3. Saint Etienne - "Lose That Girl" - Good Humor (4:03)
4. David Byrne - "Fuzzy Freaky (Mark Walk And Ruby Mix)" - The VIsible Man (2:46)
5. Happy Mondays - "Bob's Yer Uncle" - Pills 'n' Thrills And Bellyaches (5:11)
6. Cornershop - "Sleep On The Left Side " - When I Was Born For The 7th Time (4:06)
7. Massive Attack - "Protection (Underdog's Angel Dust Mix)" - Special Brew (comp.) (4:52)
8. Robbie Robertson & Howie B. - "Take Your Partner By The Hand (Red Alert mix)"
- Contact From The Underworld Of Redboy (6:43)
9. Tricky - "Bad Dreams" - Pre-Millennium Tension - (4:12)
10. The Prodigy - "Diesel Power" - The Fat Of The Land (4:17)
11. Fatboy Slim - "Gangster Tripping" - You've Come A Long Way, Baby (5:20)
12. Underworld - "Jumbo" - Beaucoup Fish (6:58)
13. Everything But The Girl - "Walking Wounded (Omni Trio Remix)" - Walking Wounded (6:44)

TRT (1:03:01)
Well, I'm flattered... Laz, but if you knew me at all you'd know that I don't listen to any of that stuff, save for the last 4 or 5 artists on Disc 2. Your playlist is not at all representative of anything I've posted about or discussed on this forum ever. Fuck sake you're amateur.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:06 AM   #144
Blue Crack Distributor

...............did LMS just come out?
Old 10-03-2013, 03:07 AM   #145
The Male

Zoots!!

Taped pubic hair onto anything lately?

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:07 AM   #146