Desert Island IX: Master List, Part Three - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 12:29 AM
I've just got Part Four left now. I should have those comments ready by tomorrow or Monday. When are we sending in our rankings now? End of the weekend? Is Monday ok? I obviously don't want this to get pushed out anymore, just seeing where we are at.
__________________

__________________
phanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #77
War Child
 
LemonMirrorSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 939
Local Time: 12:29 AM
Okay, just finished listening to bono_212's list. Haha yours was an interesting one. First of all, the concept itself is pretty cool and piqued my curiosity sufficiently enough. Second thing is, I only warmed up to your list around track 12 or something but from that point on, really enjoyed it till the end!

I liked the opening song as well as the Ramones one but after that, the songs weren't really registering in my mind very well. Around Steve Perry or so, I found myself enjoying what I was hearing. And it was quite consistent from there more or less until the end. Also, there were some songs here that I had heard before but had no idea about the name of the song or artist. Examples: Amie and Chelsea Dagger. The flow was quite good throughout and was very good in some parts, for example: Fratellis - Knack - Amanda Palmer. The flow from National to VU was so good that I didn't even register in my mind that another song had started. lol. Of course I was also a bit pre-occupied :P and I don't enjoy the National all that much.

Overall, I really enjoyed this list. Lots of familiar stuff especially in the second half or bottom two-thirds of the list rather.

ETA: Oh... and that last song was brilliant! Never heard of this new wave group called the Nails!?! Where do you guys find such stuff?
__________________

__________________
LemonMirrorSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #78
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,104
Local Time: 09:29 PM
The Nails are awesome. I actually heard that song for the first time on TCUs radio station. Then I heard another song of theirs on a Chicago alt rock channel. Finally listened to the album and wasn't disappointed.

Thanks for all of the reviews, guys, I'll be back with more comments later.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #79
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,288
Local Time: 12:29 AM
Mr. V:

I liked your list a lot. The first two tracks didn't do much for me, but then it picked up big time. Familiar tracks that I enjoyed include LCD's "All I Want", The National's "All The Wine", Tame Impala's "Mind Mischief", Autre Ne Veut's "Play By Play"(because it was used on another list this DI), Daft Punk's "Lose Yourself To Dance", and of course, U2's "If You Wear That Velvet Dress". Favorite new discoveries here include The Black Keys' "Little Submarines", Vampire Weekend's "Hanna Hunt", Amy Winehouse's "Love Is A Losing Game"(what a wasted talent), Miami Horror's "Moon Theory", Cut Copy's "Need You Now", Classixx's "Holding On", Chromeo's "Don't Turn The Lights On", The xx's "Angels", and Beach House's "Used To Be". Of those, artists I hadn't heard before this list are Miami Horror, Classixx, Chromeo, and xx.

Flow was very good, especially in the first half of the list, particularly that whole Black Keys->Vampire Weekend stretch, that was well done.

Good job.

Only one more list to go!
__________________
namkcuR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,955
Local Time: 09:29 PM
Just finishing up Ashley's list.

Alright Ashley, in the past I have not gotten on with your lists very well. And I must admit that after the first five songs, I was little worried that it would be the case again. I didn't care for the songs and the flow/transition seemed a bit iffy. But the good news is that the first five songs were my least favorite section. Once "A Letter To Elise" came on, your playlist didn't let up (well, except for "Meet Virginia", which I've never liked). I mean, holy fuck, this is great! Lots of fantastic stuff in here.

This list included some of my favorite songs by some of my favorite artists ("A Letter To Elise", "Believe Me Natalie", "Only Heather", "Cecillia", "Kim & Jessie", "Dear Prudence", "Rhiannon", and "Karen"), some great songs by artists I enjoy but am not head over heals for ("Oh Sherrie", "Eleanor Put Your Boots On", "Carrie Anne", "Ruby Tuesday", "Gloria", "Ruby", "Chelsea Dagger", and "My Sharona"), and one of the best Bruce Springsteen songs I've ever heard (which is saying a lot because I wouldn't consider myself a fan of his at all but I loved this song!). Favorite parts were "Cecillia" to "Ruby Tuesday" and for a shorter spurt, "Oh Sherrie" to "Kim & Jessie" was absolutely perfect.

This is quite easily my favorite of your playlists. Well done!

ETA: My mathematical way of grading things is to take the total amount of points I assign to a particular track added throughout (out of 10) and then divide it by the number of tracks on the entire playlist. I then take a number to its hundredth decimal place and that is how I rank each playlist. Funny story: Travis and Ashley tied exactly to the hundredths place. What a weird fucking coincidence!
__________________
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,925
Local Time: 12:29 AM
Ashley, as I expected in the beginning of the tournament I really dug your list. One of my favorite so far. Loved the concept - so simple, and yet fun and comprehensive. Before reading the song list, I think the one song I really expected to hear was Allison, so I was surprised (in a good way) to see that your Elvis Costello pick was Veronica. Would have loved to see Judy and the Dream of Horses too, but I guess there's just too many songs with a woman's name in the title.

I didn't have any issue with the transitions, which flowed really well. My favorite moments were "A Letter to Elise" into Wild Nothing, Franz into Okkervil River into Maggie Mae, and the entire end sequence starting with The New Pornographers. Really good stuff. Your list also reminded that I need to check out The Left Banke more. Like the stuff I've hear so far. Anyways, had a lot of fun listenig. Well done!
__________________
gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,925
Local Time: 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Hey, thanks for checking it out.

I'm going to use DI to expose Winter Hours as best I can. If there was ever a band that should have succeeded, it was them. They only released a number of EPs and one proper album, but the material is first rate. They draw from a plethora of influences including R.E.M., The Feelies, Big Star, The Byrds, and more. The track I selected, Island Of Jewels, is from a compilation CD called Wait Till The Morning that brings two earlier EPs together. The most well known song on it is Hyacinth Girl, which received strong airplay on college radio stations back in the mid 80's. Why they didn't get a proper record deal at that moment is beyond me.

They eventually released a full studio album in 1989 produced by Lenny Kaye of Patti Smith fame, which added a bit of a country rock element to their sound, not unlike The Jayhawks a few years later. Unfortunately, the label never marketed them properly, and the band decided it wasn't worth continuing on, which was a real shame. Years later the lead singer, whose silky baritone drew comparisons to Jim Morrison, died alone on the streets of Boston, so a reunion is out of the cards.
Thanks for the recommendations, phanan. Will try to get this compilation with the two EPs. Sad to hear that the lead singer passed away - I can certainly see the comparisons with Jim Morrison.
__________________
gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,925
Local Time: 12:29 AM
Mr. V: I knew our tastes overlapped since your earlier DI lists, so I was looking forward to hearing your list this time. It grabbed me from the start - I didn't know Cocaine 80s, but will definitely try to find out more, and it flowed perfectly into Rhye. LCD Soundsystems and The National just took it up a notch. Really good way to start. The Autre Ne Veut -> The Weeknd transition was another one that really stood out in a good way - perfect flow there. I really like how you ended the list with several fast-paced songs, that was a good sequence. Anyways, really enjoyed listening to it and will certainly explore some of the bands I didn't know, like CLASSIXX and Chromeo. Great job!
__________________
gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #84
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,955
Local Time: 09:29 PM
With the completion of my listening to Mr. V's list, I'm now done and my rankings are submitted.

Some thoughts on Mr. V's list. My very first thought, since it was the last song on the playlist, is that that was a lot of ocean noise. Like a whole hell of a lot. Didn't really dig that at all. Some of the more good thoughts include that you used perhaps my favorite song off of my favorite album of 2012 in "Mind Mischief", I've always ranked "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" as a top 3 song on Pop, and that section from The National to Tame Impala was one of my favorite sections off of anyone's list in this comp. Some things I dug that I'm not familiar with include the stuff by Miami Horror (which has been in my amazon.com wish list for like a year now after listening to one of their songs when it was recommended to me like a year ago), Autre Ne Veut, and that killer tune by John Legend. Some of the other stuff I didn't really dig were the songs by The xx or Vampire Weekend.

Flow was good. Liked this list a lot and it should probably content for a top space.

And another DI in the books. This is the first time, I think, that I've gotten myself to write up a short paragraph or two about every list. It's actually very rewarding to do as now I'll actually keep track of the shit I want to dig deeper into!
__________________
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,435
Local Time: 11:29 PM
Phanan, for some reason your playlist is insisting on downloading as an exe file no matter how much I play with the extension name. Do you have alternative links by any chance?
__________________
iron yuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #86
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 12:29 AM
Strange. It should have downloaded as an ordinary zip file. Seems others had no issues. Perhaps something with your computer's settings?

I don't have another link right now. I'll try to set up another one tonight.
__________________
phanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,435
Local Time: 11:29 PM
I'll give it another try tonight, maybe from a different browser.
__________________
iron yuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:19 AM   #88
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,104
Local Time: 09:29 PM
Nam:

A LOT of music here. You ALMOST beat me for most tracks, lol. We'll just blame Yes for my victory.

Couldn't really get much into the Disco section, unfortunately. Not a big fan of the genre.

All of the songs in section two are favorites of mine. Not so big on the flow of the section, but the choices are nice.

Section 3, well, these are classics, can't really go wrong here.

I'd almost have rather not had the 4th section, honestly. Not because I don't like those songs, but they just feel tacked on. However, a collection of 70s music wouldn't be representative without the prog.

This is a great collection of music, Nam, nice work

Mr. V:

As I mentioned, I always look forward to your lists, no exception here, looking at it on paper. Had no idea who the group behind your opener was, but I enjoyed the song a lot.

I was probably most nervous about the section from The Black Keys to Amy Winehouse, but...you managed to find a Black Keys song I enjoyed, the Arctic Monkeys song was great, the less said about Tame Impala the better (I really don't dislike them as much as I appear too, I swear) and really, just generally enjoyed the section much more than I expected to.

I thought Miami Horror was going to stick out really badly in the middle of Flume and Autre, but somehow that worked. I must not have remembered the song as well as I thought I did. (So excited for their new album, btw.)

The groovy/dance section (Cut Copy - around Groove America) was a favorite, not that I'm surprised to be saying that.

I really need to relisten to The Midnight Organ Fight. I recall hating it, but everything I've heard from it out of context since the last time I listened to it, I've loved. I hope I'm not setting myself up for a fall .

Well, V, another collection of songs I've absolutely loved. This one's flow wasn't exactly the best, but that's really my only complaint. Enjoyed, very much

LJT:

Not sure if you or Neils had more songs I didn't know, lol.

The introductory section of your list was just gorgeous. All that beautiful ambient/post-rocky goodness

But oh so suddenly it was over with Wolf Gang. That hit me a bit by surprise, nice song though.

This is definitely a list I could see myself returning to on a quiet evening, studying (At least the first section). Really nice and peaceful. Closes out nice and strong.

On to section 2: here come the nice biiiigggg beats.

I like what you did with this sorta spoken word (almost) feel. Wouldn't think to hear something like that in a music competition

Overall, I think I preferred the first half to the second by a rather significant margin, but I found myself really fond of the second half of the second portion . Thanks for the reminder that I really need to hear more by Disco Inferno!

Phanan:

Well…the first like….14 tracks really weren't even fair. Might as well have pulled them straight off of some of my other DI lists (Only one actual overlap, but almost every artist is one I've used before or plan to use at some point). I can't even give you enough praise for using a Big Country song . Loving that Winter Hours track, too. The Hugo Largo song reminded me a ton of Sinead O'Connor's version of "She Moved Through the Faire" so, I got just a bit teary eyed right there >_>. Same with About Today back to back with Lost Cause…Jeeez man…

Another bit of a pat on the back for your usage of Minutes to Memories and It's a Mistake. I'm pretty sure they're both singles, but let's not pretend they're on the radio every five minutes like their big brother songs. Also, time for my per list comment of, "Why don't I listen to these guys?" Radio Dept.! Every song I've heard by them, I have loved. Not sure why I haven't got around to that one.

I feel like every song on this list that was by a band I was unfamiliar with is one that I could find myself loving over time. Especially Fiction Factory (though in the deep recesses of my mind, I feel like I may have heard one of their albums once).

And then you have this fun little folky section with one of my favorite songs ever, Wildflowers. That might have been the only transition on the list I didn't care for, though. Also, everyone should include Gordon Lightfoot on their lists .

Well, Phanan, this is easily my favorite list you've ever made. More than happy with just about everything about it. Song selection, flow, musical representation, etc. Really glad to see someone else in the world has heard of Memoryhouse, too, lol.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:34 AM   #89
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,104
Local Time: 09:29 PM
Sorry for two giant posts in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
bono_212

Absolutely wonderful playlist, Ashley. That was a real treat to listen to. I'm marveling at the way it all goes together so seamlessly. You have all these songs mixed up in an order that I would have never thought possible, but holy shit, they go together so well. I'm looking at the list and seeing, for example, Marillion into Steve Perry and thinking, that can't be good. But it was. The only hiccup I could find was Ruby Tuesday into Walk Away Renee, and that's only because the latter starts so suddenly because of its original source. I also think it would have been cool to keep the instrumental intro that leads into Maggie May on here, as it would have sounded great after Okkervil River (it's featured as a single track on many compilations, although I understand they are separate on Every Picture Tells A Story).

Rosalita would have been a great inclusion, but for what you were going for, no way it would have worked with it being so long. Candy's Room makes up for it anyway. Although I protest the omission of Betty Davis Eyes.
Yeah, that Marillion into Steve Perry transition was actually one I had been planning from the very inception of the competition, mostly as a gentle jab in Axver's direction. He was the one who turned me onto that song in the first place and it always amused me how much it sounds like an 80s power ballad.

There was a lot of back and forth on whether or not I was going to end up using Maggie May or not, because of the length and then I was reminded that a single edit existed. I hate losing the intro, it's my favorite part, but, I had this stupid idea to fit my playlist to a track # length, so I was stuck.

Rosalita was a very difficult cut to make, you can rest assured it was on the original list.

It just leaves Bette Davis Eyes for another list someday, though! Thank you for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
bono_212:

Really, really enjoyed this Ashley. Fun/unique theme, pretty good flow, and lots of great songs. My favorite new discoveries here are The Magnetic Fields' 'Candy'(might have to check more of them out), The Cure's 'A Letter To Elise' (I like the Cure but I haven't delved too deeply into their catalogue, but since this is on the same album as Friday I'm In Love, maybe I'll start there), Fleetwood Mac's 'Rhiannon', and the Nails' '44 Lines About 88 Women', while my favorite returning favorites are Steve Perry's 'Oh Sherry'(which was just used in the last Breaking Bad episode coincidentally), The Killers' 'Believe Me Natalie', Jane's Addiction's 'Jane Says', Simon & Garfunkel's 'Cecilia', the Stones' 'Ruby Tuesday', Bruce's 'Candy's Room', and the Knack's 'My Sherona'. Just lots of great songs here.

You also get extra bonus points with me for using/opening with the Pete & Pete theme, which for people of a certain age who watched a certain channel in a certain era, is sort of overwhelmingly nostalgic, and also for using Shawn Colvin's 'Sunny Came Home', a track I loved from my top-40 listening early teenage years a decade and a half ago but that I didn't think anyone else here cared for. I've always found here voice to be one of those really pleasant, soothing, comforting voices, and that song has a beautiful melody, so it's great to see it in a DI list.

Great job.
If you liked that song, you should probably definitely hear more by The Magnetic Fields, but be mindful that they very quickly switched to Merritt on vocals, so it's a guy basically most of the time . Also, I wouldn't recommend starting with that particular Cure album. If you're looking for something a little poppier, start with The Head on the Door. If you want to go with the best, though, start with Disintegration.

The Pete & Pete theme is going to always and forever be a favorite song of mine. It was the perfect opener for this list.

Thank you !
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMirrorSky View Post
Okay, just finished listening to bono_212's list. Haha yours was an interesting one. First of all, the concept itself is pretty cool and piqued my curiosity sufficiently enough. Second thing is, I only warmed up to your list around track 12 or something but from that point on, really enjoyed it till the end!

I liked the opening song as well as the Ramones one but after that, the songs weren't really registering in my mind very well. Around Steve Perry or so, I found myself enjoying what I was hearing. And it was quite consistent from there more or less until the end. Also, there were some songs here that I had heard before but had no idea about the name of the song or artist. Examples: Amie and Chelsea Dagger. The flow was quite good throughout and was very good in some parts, for example: Fratellis - Knack - Amanda Palmer. The flow from National to VU was so good that I didn't even register in my mind that another song had started. lol. Of course I was also a bit pre-occupied :P and I don't enjoy the National all that much.

Overall, I really enjoyed this list. Lots of familiar stuff especially in the second half or bottom two-thirds of the list rather.

ETA: Oh... and that last song was brilliant! Never heard of this new wave group called the Nails!?! Where do you guys find such stuff?
If this list did anything, it apparently got a lot of people intrigued by The Nails, which I couldn't be happier about .

Shame you didn't like the intro, that's probably my favorite part XD.

If you couldn't tell, Amanda Palmer and The Knack worked so well together because Palmer purposely copped most of the latter for her own song

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Just finishing up Ashley's list.

Alright Ashley, in the past I have not gotten on with your lists very well. And I must admit that after the first five songs, I was little worried that it would be the case again. I didn't care for the songs and the flow/transition seemed a bit iffy. But the good news is that the first five songs were my least favorite section. Once "A Letter To Elise" came on, your playlist didn't let up (well, except for "Meet Virginia", which I've never liked). I mean, holy fuck, this is great! Lots of fantastic stuff in here.

This list included some of my favorite songs by some of my favorite artists ("A Letter To Elise", "Believe Me Natalie", "Only Heather", "Cecillia", "Kim & Jessie", "Dear Prudence", "Rhiannon", and "Karen"), some great songs by artists I enjoy but am not head over heals for ("Oh Sherrie", "Eleanor Put Your Boots On", "Carrie Anne", "Ruby Tuesday", "Gloria", "Ruby", "Chelsea Dagger", and "My Sharona"), and one of the best Bruce Springsteen songs I've ever heard (which is saying a lot because I wouldn't consider myself a fan of his at all but I loved this song!). Favorite parts were "Cecillia" to "Ruby Tuesday" and for a shorter spurt, "Oh Sherrie" to "Kim & Jessie" was absolutely perfect.

This is quite easily my favorite of your playlists. Well done!

ETA: My mathematical way of grading things is to take the total amount of points I assign to a particular track added throughout (out of 10) and then divide it by the number of tracks on the entire playlist. I then take a number to its hundredth decimal place and that is how I rank each playlist. Funny story: Travis and Ashley tied exactly to the hundredths place. What a weird fucking coincidence!
I like to think that I'm going to be the only person ever complimented on their playlist section consisting of "Oh Sherrie" to "Kim & Jessie"

As for the ETA: Weird, wild stuff!!

Thanks, Andrew, glad I could put something together you enjoyed for once ( )
Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
Ashley, as I expected in the beginning of the tournament I really dug your list. One of my favorite so far. Loved the concept - so simple, and yet fun and comprehensive. Before reading the song list, I think the one song I really expected to hear was Allison, so I was surprised (in a good way) to see that your Elvis Costello pick was Veronica. Would have loved to see Judy and the Dream of Horses too, but I guess there's just too many songs with a woman's name in the title.

I didn't have any issue with the transitions, which flowed really well. My favorite moments were "A Letter to Elise" into Wild Nothing, Franz into Okkervil River into Maggie Mae, and the entire end sequence starting with The New Pornographers. Really good stuff. Your list also reminded that I need to check out The Left Banke more. Like the stuff I've hear so far. Anyways, had a lot of fun listenig. Well done!
I had hoped from the beginning that a playlist like this would be one that couldn't help but be fun. When I've been driving in my car listening to it, I've felt that I achieved that.

I thought about using Allison, but it had been on so many playlists, I opted for the (also poppier) Veronica instead.

Let me know if you ever listen to The Left Banke, I'm curious to know if they're worth checking out more of.

Thank you, Gump
__________________

__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com