Desert Island IX: Master List, Part Three - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #61
War Child

Local Time: 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
If anything, to truly represent prog and poke fun at it at the same time, I would have made that section one song only, perhaps by using Floyd's Echoes.
That's actually a nice idea. But Any Colour You Like is so fantastic! It is probably in my Top 5 Floyd compositions ever. Yes, transitioning into and out of it is extremely difficult. Bummer.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
namkcuR

A nice representation of the 70's, for the most part. A lot of well-known songs, and you certainly ran the gamut of selections from that decade. Some all-time classics here, along with others that my mother used to listen to on the AM radio while driving me around in a silver Honda Civic when I was 6 or 7 years old that I don't need to hear again (hello Carpenters).

I would have liked to have seen a few more deep album cuts - it's a bit top heavy with established hit singles. Not necessarily a bad thing, just my opinion. Like how you pulled out Factory for this (I wouldn't have chosen that particular song, but I appreciate how you went further with that one). And as for the electronica/prog section at the end, I obviously like those songs, but Any Colour You Like is difficult to listen to and transition in and out of on its own, which made the section a bit jarring. If anything, to truly represent prog and poke fun at it at the same time, I would have made that section one song only, perhaps by using Floyd's Echoes.

Having said that, lots of great songs here, and you did cover a lot of what the decade was all about in terms of music, which was the idea, so kudos for that.
Thanks for the kind words.

I know there aren't many deep cuts, but the idea was to make a kind of 70s jukebox, so I felt like more well known stuff worked better for what I was going for. Even so, I tried to mix it up a little in a few places(Factory like you mentioned, the original Argent version of GGRARTY, the version of All The Young Dudes that has Bowie AND Hunter on vocals). Also, I was originally going to use Echoes as my long prog track, but I felt like Awaken might be more new to more people.

While I feel like the Kraftwerk thing segues into Any Colour You Like ok, I fully agree that Any Colour You Like doesn't sound right segueing into anything other than Brain Damage, but I love it so much that I just decided to forgo that one transition. I don't think I would've wanted to have only one prog track...would've been too hard to pick one for me.

Finally, I think Karen Carpenter had one of the all-time great female voices, but to each his own.

Glad you like the list overall though!

Old 09-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life

bono_212:

Really, really enjoyed this Ashley. Fun/unique theme, pretty good flow, and lots of great songs. My favorite new discoveries here are The Magnetic Fields' 'Candy'(might have to check more of them out), The Cure's 'A Letter To Elise' (I like the Cure but I haven't delved too deeply into their catalogue, but since this is on the same album as Friday I'm In Love, maybe I'll start there), Fleetwood Mac's 'Rhiannon', and the Nails' '44 Lines About 88 Women', while my favorite returning favorites are Steve Perry's 'Oh Sherry'(which was just used in the last Breaking Bad episode coincidentally), The Killers' 'Believe Me Natalie', Jane's Addiction's 'Jane Says', Simon & Garfunkel's 'Cecilia', the Stones' 'Ruby Tuesday', Bruce's 'Candy's Room', and the Knack's 'My Sherona'. Just lots of great songs here.

You also get extra bonus points with me for using/opening with the Pete & Pete theme, which for people of a certain age who watched a certain channel in a certain era, is sort of overwhelmingly nostalgic, and also for using Shawn Colvin's 'Sunny Came Home', a track I loved from my top-40 listening early teenage years a decade and a half ago but that I didn't think anyone else here cared for. I've always found here voice to be one of those really pleasant, soothing, comforting voices, and that song has a beautiful melody, so it's great to see it in a DI list.

Great job.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life

Phanan:

I enjoyed your list quite a bit, nice diversity of sound, great flow. I don't know much about Beach House or Washed Up, but if the rest of their stuff is anything like these songs that you selected(and someone else used a different Beach House track that I also enjoyed), I'll have to check them both out more. Beautiful stuff. Other favorite new discoveries include Men At Work's 'It's a Mistake', Grimes's 'Genesis'(I really need to listen to her album(s)), Tom Petty's 'Wildflowers'(I'm a fan but need to check out that album), Big Country's "Chance", and the Church's "Ripple". And the R.E.M., Gordon Lightfoot, and Arcade Fire tracks you chose are classics(especially R.E.M. - Out Of Time is such a great record).

Overall, very good job.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

LJT:

Certainly one of the more unique submissions in this DI. I've always wanted to get more into electronic music, so this was a nice sampler for me. I literally didn't know a single track here except for 'Wonderful Life'. My favorites were pretty much the more, sort of, purely electronic stuff with less in the way of vocals - James Pants, Ulrich Schnauss, Loops Of Your Heart, The Hive, and Kuedo I think were my favorites in that regard. Chic's 'What About Me' has that sort of neo-soul thing about it, and I really enjoyed it. Disco Inferno's 'Love Stepping Out' is a really chilled, layed-back acoustic number, and is a nice change of pace from a lot of the other stuff, I thought that was a really pleasant number. And I like that aforementioned closer 'Wonderful Life' as well.

Solid list, good cohesiveness, a handful of exciting discoveries that might help me get into some new electronic music. Good job.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Also, I was originally going to use Echoes as my long prog track, but I felt like Awaken might be more new to more people.
Awaken is one of the best Yes songs out there, so it was definitely a good choice.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

I'll be going through LJT's list next, but I never received the updated links for Mr. V. LM, can you email them to me?

Once I receive those, I'll get through these last two and I'll just have Part Four to go.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #68
The Male

Local Time: 06:17 AM
Quote:
I'll be going through LJT's list next, but I never received the updated links for Mr. V. LM, can you email them to me?

Once I receive those, I'll get through these last two and I'll just have Part Four to go.
Done.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Alright - so I listened to Ruckman's list awhile back, before this thread was posted, and never got around to posting my thoughts. Thankfully, I took notes. I knew I would need to since I knew I wouldn't have computer access. I listened to it while I was out of town on vacation. So here goes....

This really played like a radio station. I thought that was pretty awesome. Some of the stuff I really liked that I knew going into the list were the songs by Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye, Elton John, Harry Chapin, America, Tom Petty, Led Zeppelin, George Harrison, The Who, and Queen. Some good stuff I didn't know before this list were the songs by Dolly Parton, The Delfonics, and Patti Smith. The flow was pretty good for the most part. The disco at the beginning did start to get old after awhile, but didn't overstay its welcome too much, and the last section didn't grab me (and that Yes song seemed to go on forever).

Overall very good stuff! Good luck and I look forward to future lists of yours!

Next up: Phanan.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #70
War Child

Starting bono_212's list now. I really dig this concept of using all women's names.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Just finished Phanan's list.

I liked the list and the flow was really on par with the quality of your previous entries, which needless to say is very high. Some of the stuff that I liked that I am familiar with includes the tracks by Beach House, Washed Out, The National, Beck, George Harrison, Real Estate, and Arcade Fire. Some of the stuff I liked that I wasn't familiar with were those by The Jayhawks, The Decemberists, The Radio Dept., and Grimes. My favourite stretch was The National through the Decemberists obviously. Some of the stuff I didn't care about as much were some of the songs that had vocalists I didn't really care for (sorta breathy delicate female vocals with some vibrato). But the flow helped those ones along quite nicely. Also didn't really care for the Simple Minds track. I just recently watched Adventureland and I could actually see a fair share of this playlist being in the soundtrack of a movie like that.

Anyway, nicely done as always!

Next up: LJT
Old 09-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Just finished LJT's list.

Wow, there was so little here that I'd heard of before. That can be a double edged sword when you make a list that has so much relative obscurity. But it worked pretty well. Some of the electronica got on the long side for me and my interest waned. But yeah. So the stuff that I'd heard before that I like is, well, the song by Gil Scott Heron. And I'd only ever heard it sampled in, I believe, a Kanye West song. Anyway, onto the stuff I hadn't heard before that I liked! I'll have to check out some of these groups, like Wolf Gang, Dog Is Dead, and Divine Fits to be sure. Other of this reminded me of stuff my wife has choreographed or danced to. Most notably I'd say the Ulrich Schnauss song. Anyway, my only real problem with the list was that it was pretty heavy handed on cold electronica in parts and so I feel like, as with a previous list I listened to this DI, I would probably have enjoyed it more if it were winter here. But that iciness really does flow well.

Good stuff!

Next up tomorrow will be Bono 212 and LMP (if I can open his folder, as others have seemed to have an issue with). That'll leave 3 to tackle for the weekend.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #73
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:17 AM
Nielsgov was able to listen just fine. If you have trouble with it I'll try and get a Spotify list going. Same with IWB.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

LJT

I hardly knew anything from this playlist, so I was really looking forward to the listening experience.

I thought Part 1 was fantastic, especially up through Chic. Passing By was probably my favorite from that bunch. Will definitely check out more from some of these artists.

Part 2 lagged a bit for me. The first track was definitely interesting to hear, but it probably won't be something I go back to. Things picked back up with Divine Fits and then it finished fairly strongly.

I've always enjoyed your participation in DI as you seem to bring a unique perspective every time out. Glad you were back for this one.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Mr. V

Another great entry from you.

This was a mix of songs that I knew well and others that I hadn't been exposed to before, and for the ones I hadn't heard, I pretty much enjoyed them all.

You mentioned how you place a priority on transitions, and I can say that this was as smooth as any playlist I've heard. I particularly thought Groove Armada -> U2 -> The xx was a beautiful combination. I will say though, and this is just a general observation on my part, that a playlist utilizing mostly recent songs tends to be a bit easier for flow purposes, which is why I place a great deal of emphasis on playlists that can expertly maneuver from older songs to newer ones without disrupting the flow (which is one of the primary reasons I gushed over Ashley's entry). That doesn't take away how great your playlist is, but I do prefer a bit more variety from different eras...