Desert Island IX: Master List, Part Three - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #31
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:43 PM
Wait a minute...can we legitimately say that Cobbler is an expert on hip hop?

Old 08-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #32
45:33

Local Time: 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post

I remember a post Nick made in which he said something to the effect that any poster who doesn't fawn over U2 must be too busy listening to Vampire Weekend. I know obnoxiousness was his intent, but it was still a comment of glaring ignorance.
Exactly what I'm talking about, yes.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:10 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:43 PM
I'll be the dick again, be blunt and say that I do get annoyed sometimes by the reliance of some of you here on Pitchfork ratings, especially if somebody recommends a band by saying "It's BNM!" (now that is pretty ridiculous if I may say so), but yeah, most of you here have in general a much broader taste and better judgement than that, which is something I cannot say for some other places on the Internetz. Still, this trend of one single music review site being a gospel on music is definitely rubbing me the wrong way.

The thing is - the reviews I've read are mostly so badly written. The smugness is the least of their problems. But the main point is that I consider my music taste to be vastly different from their own (exceptions naturally exist), so I don't ever consider their opinions to be worthwhile in my musical exploration. Which is not something I'd say for you guys here (I mean about your opinions being worthwhile of course).
Old 08-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #34
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:43 PM
Oh I'm very much in the P4k-joking camp when you apply it to a much broader context than as another music source. Consequence of Sound, stereogum, NME, Spin, Spotify, or my old college radio station have yielded some awesome finds for me in the past, as well as this site of course.

To me though, lumping in posters ad hominem as P4k gospel spouters or dream pop-loving hipsters feels counterintuitive to generating a discussion. It's like if we all decided to rail against people who read Rolling Stone as classicist goons for the hell of it.

Folks here, at least the usual suspects, are open enough with their tastes to not deserve that label being thrown at them.

tl;dr - this shouldn't be an argument we're all cool folks here.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #35
War Child

Local Time: 04:43 PM
Okay I'm back. Wow, namkcuR's list looks fantastic! That's where I'll be starting.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #36
War Child

namkcuR: Absolutely loved your list!! Great job! What a nostalgia trip! You even picked my favourite Bee Gees track. And Zep's Tangerine is just one of the most beautiful songs ever. Really enjoyed the early hard rock to post punk section of your list too. Though the flow was a bit wonky in parts*, it was also good elsewhere like America to Neil Young and Billy Joel to Cat Stevens. It is so great to listen to a list filled to the brim with so many classics! Like celebrating the musical history of a decade.

*I know that it is extremely difficult to fit Pink Floyd, especially 70s Floyd in such a list but that section of Kraftwerk-Floyd-Genesis was quite awkward! lol. Having said that... Any Colour You Like is simply divine.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #37
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

When's the next crop coming up, LM?
Old 08-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

aren't there people who still haven't even finished the first set?
Old 08-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #39
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
When's the next crop coming up, LM?
When people start listening to this crop.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #40
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Probably. I know I've been hopping around from group-to-group since I was late to downloading the lists. Just asking out of curiosity.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:43 PM
yeah i've listened to probably 2/3 of the lists, but haven't finished an entire batch between it.

that boards of canada track off phanan's is pretty sweet. but i haven't gotten further than that point, cos the national have been distracting me.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #42
The Male

So, what the hell, is it safe to move this along? I'll probably leave the last one up for a shorter time and give you guys 2 weeks to hand in your rankings from the second I put up the thread.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I'm done with the first two groups, now will get to these playlists here.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:22 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:43 PM
namkcuR: This list was a mixed bag to me but that's due to my personal taste. The first part just wasn't my thing. You mostly chose well known songs but most of the ones I knew, aren't exactly favorites of mine. I did really enjoy What's Going On however. From part 2 onwards there were more new songs for me (my '70s knowledge is limited) and I also started enjoying it more. I didn't like the first few songs on part 2 but Factory-Jolene was a nice duo and I liked almost each song after.

Part 3 was even better for me. The stand-outs were All the Young Dudes and Elevation. Your playlist really was an upward spiral because part 4 was my favorite, as I had expected from the beginning. I only knew the Pink Floyd track but I enjoyed the other songs as well. I definitely need to listen to more Yes. I downloaded one of their albums once but quickly forgot about it.

The flow in general was pretty good. I have no complaints there. So yeah, mixed bag but I still liked most songs. And it was a good introduction to the '70s for me. I will surely check out a few of these artists.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #45
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
So, what the hell, is it safe to move this along? I'll probably leave the last one up for a shorter time and give you guys 2 weeks to hand in your rankings from the second I put up the thread.
Sounds good.