Desert Island IX: Master List, Part Three

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember a post Nick made in which he said something to the effect that any poster who doesn't fawn over U2 must be too busy listening to Vampire Weekend. I know obnoxiousness was his intent, but it was still a comment of glaring ignorance.

Exactly what I'm talking about, yes.

I'll be the dick again, be blunt and say that I do get annoyed sometimes by the reliance of some of you here on Pitchfork ratings, especially if somebody recommends a band by saying "It's BNM!" (now that is pretty ridiculous if I may say so), but yeah, most of you here have in general a much broader taste and better judgement than that, which is something I cannot say for some other places on the Internetz. Still, this trend of one single music review site being a gospel on music is definitely rubbing me the wrong way.

The thing is - the reviews I've read are mostly so badly written. The smugness is the least of their problems. But the main point is that I consider my music taste to be vastly different from their own (exceptions naturally exist), so I don't ever consider their opinions to be worthwhile in my musical exploration. Which is not something I'd say for you guys here (I mean about your opinions being worthwhile of course).

Oh I'm very much in the P4k-joking camp when you apply it to a much broader context than as another music source. Consequence of Sound, stereogum, NME, Spin, Spotify, or my old college radio station have yielded some awesome finds for me in the past, as well as this site of course.

To me though, lumping in posters ad hominem as P4k gospel spouters or dream pop-loving hipsters feels counterintuitive to generating a discussion. It's like if we all decided to rail against people who read Rolling Stone as classicist goons for the hell of it.

Folks here, at least the usual suspects, are open enough with their tastes to not deserve that label being thrown at them.

tl;dr - this shouldn't be an argument we're all cool folks here.

namkcuR: Absolutely loved your list!! Great job! What a nostalgia trip! You even picked my favourite Bee Gees track. :wink: And Zep's Tangerine is just one of the most beautiful songs ever. Really enjoyed the early hard rock to post punk section of your list too. Though the flow was a bit wonky in parts*, it was also good elsewhere like America to Neil Young and Billy Joel to Cat Stevens. It is so great to listen to a list filled to the brim with so many classics! Like celebrating the musical history of a decade.

*I know that it is extremely difficult to fit Pink Floyd, especially 70s Floyd in such a list but that section of Kraftwerk-Floyd-Genesis was quite awkward! lol. Having said that... Any Colour You Like is simply divine.

Probably. I know I've been hopping around from group-to-group since I was late to downloading the lists. Just asking out of curiosity.

yeah i've listened to probably 2/3 of the lists, but haven't finished an entire batch between it.

that boards of canada track off phanan's is pretty sweet. but i haven't gotten further than that point, cos the national have been distracting me.

So, what the hell, is it safe to move this along? I'll probably leave the last one up for a shorter time and give you guys 2 weeks to hand in your rankings from the second I put up the thread.

I'm done with the first two groups, now will get to these playlists here.

namkcuR: This list was a mixed bag to me but that's due to my personal taste. The first part just wasn't my thing. You mostly chose well known songs but most of the ones I knew, aren't exactly favorites of mine. I did really enjoy What's Going On however. From part 2 onwards there were more new songs for me (my '70s knowledge is limited) and I also started enjoying it more. I didn't like the first few songs on part 2 but Factory-Jolene was a nice duo and I liked almost each song after.

Part 3 was even better for me. The stand-outs were All the Young Dudes and Elevation. Your playlist really was an upward spiral because part 4 was my favorite, as I had expected from the beginning. I only knew the Pink Floyd track but I enjoyed the other songs as well. I definitely need to listen to more Yes. I downloaded one of their albums once but quickly forgot about it.

The flow in general was pretty good. I have no complaints there. So yeah, mixed bag but I still liked most songs. And it was a good introduction to the '70s for me. I will surely check out a few of these artists.

So, what the hell, is it safe to move this along? I'll probably leave the last one up for a shorter time and give you guys 2 weeks to hand in your rankings from the second I put up the thread.

Sounds good.

So phanan, you warned me that you're playlist would be downtempo but I didn't have any problems with that. I really enjoyed it. One of the better ones so far. The playlist had a nice mix of songs I didn't know and some favorites I could look forward to spread nicely throughout.

The flow was very good. I especially liked how you sneaked in New Seeds as the only truly electronic track without it sounding out of place. The transition from the synthy tracks to the more folky ones was also flawless. The only negative I can think of is the fact that the playlist became a bit more hit and miss from Minutes to Memories onwards. There were a few songs I didn't enjoy that much. Tracks (I hadn't heard before) that stood out to me included Winter Hill, Especially Me, This Time Around and Dark Center of the Universe. Lazuli was the highlight though. What a great track.

Mr. V: Lovely list. This is one of the few where I knew more than half the songs going into it but that didn't bother me at all. Mainly because it was just a very nice mix of songs I love. The stretch from All I Want to Hannah Hunt was the best example of this. Six great songs in a row. When R U Mine kicked in, I was all :rockon:.

The transitions were very good indeed. I liked the high energy part of your playlist the most, but the comedown near the end worked as well. If You Wear That Velvet Dress and Angels form a golden duo, on paper and in reality. There were also enough songs I didn't know to keep it interesting. I didn't like them all but most were pretty good. The tracks I enjoyed the most were the CLASSIXX and Chromeo ones. Overal, very good.

So I finished this batch today with Ashley's playlist. You've already won the prize for best artwork and most original concept for me. As with most of these lists, lots of songs I didn't know. I pretty much enjoyed the first 21 songs on your lists. Taste of Cindy was the best discovery I think. Laz also had a song of The Jesus and Mary Chain on his list which I loved so I'll have to get into them sooner or later. A Letter to Elise-Only Heather-Marilyn was a great stretch. Savannah Smiles was the absolute highlight. I love that song to death so that was always going to be a winner.

The songs after that didn't do much for me. I'm just not into that kind of music at the moment. It started getting better again from Dear Prudence onwards. Loved the inclusion of Karen and I heard a Rolling Stones song I really liked, which isn't always the case with me. You also get a thumbs up for putting Chelsea Dagger on there. The last minute of that song is pure bliss. The last song was a nice touch.

Thanks Niels! Glad to get some feedback, especially so positive :).

Chelsea Dagger wouldn't have been there if the Hawks hadn't won the Stanley Cup, after that, I couldn't help myself.

Working through your list now, Ash. It's a blast. Prefab Sprout's "Bonny" is an underrated all-time jam.

Working through your list now, Ash. It's a blast. Prefab Sprout's "Bonny" is an underrated all-time jam.

I tried to convince her to roll with Bonny, but you can't go wrong with anything from Steve McQueen tbh.

Wow, I mixed up "Bonny" & "Goodbye Lucille." Don't post while half-asleep, gang.

Thanks Jake :D, I'm glad you enjoyed (or at least were enjoying at one point!)

Prefab Sprout is still a band I haven't quite got into in a big way, but I think we're on the precipice.

Trying to finish up this batch (running a little bit late):

namkcuR: that was a fun list. Really enjoyed most of it, in particular the disco/funk/R&B side. Lots of gems there that I hadn’t heard in a long time. This made me happy. The MJ song was a great way to start off. I also liked the George Harrison -> Tom Petty -> The Who sequence to finish things off. And Tangerine is my favourite Led Zeppelin song, so bonus points for that.

phanan: I agree with what nielsgov said – putting together a downtempo playlist worked really well. I was very fond of a number of sequences, including the Winter Hours-REM duo and the Low-National-Beck-George Harrison quartet, which flowed perfectly. The ending was also brilliant – Sprawl II is probably the best Arcade Fire song post-Funeral. There are a few things there that I didn’t know and will want to check out, including Winter Hours and The Jayhawks.

I've been dancing around my apartment to Mr. V's list all late morning/early afternoon. Good shit.

phanan: I agree with what nielsgov said – putting together a downtempo playlist worked really well. I was very fond of a number of sequences, including the Winter Hours-REM duo and the Low-National-Beck-George Harrison quartet, which flowed perfectly. The ending was also brilliant – Sprawl II is probably the best Arcade Fire song post-Funeral. There are a few things there that I didn’t know and will want to check out, including Winter Hours and The Jayhawks.

Hey, thanks for checking it out.

I'm going to use DI to expose Winter Hours as best I can. If there was ever a band that should have succeeded, it was them. They only released a number of EPs and one proper album, but the material is first rate. They draw from a plethora of influences including R.E.M., The Feelies, Big Star, The Byrds, and more. The track I selected, Island Of Jewels, is from a compilation CD called Wait Till The Morning that brings two earlier EPs together. The most well known song on it is Hyacinth Girl, which received strong airplay on college radio stations back in the mid 80's. Why they didn't get a proper record deal at that moment is beyond me.

They eventually released a full studio album in 1989 produced by Lenny Kaye of Patti Smith fame, which added a bit of a country rock element to their sound, not unlike The Jayhawks a few years later. Unfortunately, the label never marketed them properly, and the band decided it wasn't worth continuing on, which was a real shame. Years later the lead singer, whose silky baritone drew comparisons to Jim Morrison, died alone on the streets of Boston, so a reunion is out of the cards.

namkcuR

A nice representation of the 70's, for the most part. A lot of well-known songs, and you certainly ran the gamut of selections from that decade. Some all-time classics here, along with others that my mother used to listen to on the AM radio while driving me around in a silver Honda Civic when I was 6 or 7 years old that I don't need to hear again (hello Carpenters).

I would have liked to have seen a few more deep album cuts - it's a bit top heavy with established hit singles. Not necessarily a bad thing, just my opinion. Like how you pulled out Factory for this (I wouldn't have chosen that particular song, but I appreciate how you went further with that one). And as for the electronica/prog section at the end, I obviously like those songs, but Any Colour You Like is difficult to listen to and transition in and out of on its own, which made the section a bit jarring. If anything, to truly represent prog and poke fun at it at the same time, I would have made that section one song only, perhaps by using Floyd's Echoes.

Having said that, lots of great songs here, and you did cover a lot of what the decade was all about in terms of music, which was the idea, so kudos for that.

bono_212

Absolutely wonderful playlist, Ashley. That was a real treat to listen to. I'm marveling at the way it all goes together so seamlessly. You have all these songs mixed up in an order that I would have never thought possible, but holy shit, they go together so well. I'm looking at the list and seeing, for example, Marillion into Steve Perry and thinking, that can't be good. But it was. The only hiccup I could find was Ruby Tuesday into Walk Away Renee, and that's only because the latter starts so suddenly because of its original source. I also think it would have been cool to keep the instrumental intro that leads into Maggie May on here, as it would have sounded great after Okkervil River (it's featured as a single track on many compilations, although I understand they are separate on Every Picture Tells A Story).

Rosalita would have been a great inclusion, but for what you were going for, no way it would have worked with it being so long. Candy's Room makes up for it anyway. Although I protest the omission of Betty Davis Eyes. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom