Desert Island IX: Master List, Part Three - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Mr. V - really appreciated this as over half the songs I wasn't familiar with. Some of those artists I've never heard of, others are bands that I just never took the time to check out.

Some really standout tracks I'll be holding onto permanently and exploring those artists further.

Nice progression from indie to modern soul to dance/electronic and back to indie again. Plus, any Los Camp! fan is cool in my book.

I was listening to this while working on a sailboat and I let that final track go on for quite some time. Perfect atmosphere to inhabit and a great opportunity to let the music sink in before moving onto more intense stimuli again.
Thanks man. Aw, that would have been perfect for Rush to Relax.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post

I'm not sure what you really expected from this competition. Thanks for the nice words though.
what I described is exactly what I did expect the first time I played this game, and while I've only participated in one longer di and a mini, it's hardly what people have done. Despite the way threads dedicated to pitchfork bnm bands do dominate this place, there is still a decent variety of music being discussed. Then on top of that, people were pulling out lists filled with other things they listen to. Oneblood's total hip hop list, LM has deftly crossed genres with each list he's made, phanan had an uncanny ability to provide context in which I find myself enjoying songs that I know I would hate on their own, iyup made a mini blues rock list last time, what i daid before about your list, laz's is different too, etc. it's probably the way they were grouped together, or just the order in which I started listening (which is why I haven't cracked gump or Joey's yet) where it's felt like a best of this place's favorite current bands has dominated. There was even that person who made metal list that one time (and I was the only person who liked it).

You'll probably get to my list and wonder why I even post on this site, but the best thing about it is that under most circumstances, there is a nice variety of music talked about at this place--more so than any other one place I've found on the Internet. And I did used to be a huge U2 fan at one point.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #18
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:22 AM
I hate music.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 08-11-2013, 12:44 AM   #20
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

That was a frustratingly glib comment on my part. To that end though, I don't see the point in dressing down folks for their tastes. Not sure what type of discourse that is suppose to inspire, though it's great that you're being honest. I'm definitely throwing stones in this case, just rubbed me the wrong way is all.

Superchunk - Me & You & Jackie Mittoo - YouTube
Old 08-11-2013, 02:18 AM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Dammit, the Internet cut out and just ate my original post. Let me try this again.

Dressing anyone down for their taste in music wasn't my intent. Despite my normal cynical, borderline sociopathic tendencies in most other aspects of life, I meant it more as an apology as to why I'm sorry, I'm trying to enjoy the playlists people spent some time and effort constructing (ones that represent some of their favorite music out there), and while there certainly are elements of every one I've listened to thus far that I do enjoy, the common denominator preventing me from really getting into this game is the over abundance of this particular music. Was it a bit abrasive and poorly framed for an apology? Probably. Do I (or anyone who doesn't like a particular list) really need to apologize for not really liking someone else's contribution to a game on a message board? Not really. I could keep that to myself. To be honest, if I'm going to single out a band like tame impala as overused, I should probably mention the ubiquitousness of the national as well, but as I am fully on board with the near-universal love that band receives at this place, they're something of a blind spot for me. Hell, if you want overlap in taste, Joey and I use the same fucking nine inch nails song. It's not even like well, cobbler used all the wine two DIs ago and mr v used it this time. I get that sort of thing is going to happen. My real disappointment is the fact that I'm not gleaning all kinds of awesome new musical discoveries off people's lists, cos I'm selfish like that.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 06:22 PM
I just don't like that you've assumed we're all simply Pitchfork fanboys. That definitely rubbed me the wrong way.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #23
45:33

Local Time: 07:22 PM
This isn't directed at IWB at all, but I get very annoyed by comments aimed at us B&Cers by other forum members as if we're all simply Pitchfork fanboys. These lists would be a cavalcade of shitty no-name hip-hop if that were the case.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #24
The Male

Local Time: 12:22 AM
There are plenty of sites out there to discover music through besides Pitchfork. I find any insinuation that I'm a P4k fanboy to be more of an insult towards my ability to use google than in my taste in music.

But honestly, I'm just glad people are using this thread.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #25
45:33

Local Time: 07:22 PM
If I'm a fanboy of any site, it's B&C. My tastes have been influenced by this forum for the most part.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

I only mentioned pitchfork as a descriptor for the genre classification I don't exactly know the name of. Hipster shoegazy pitchfork bnm dream pop psychedelic throwback--that's the kind of mouthful I try to avoid, much like my general dislike (which we've discussed about as frequently as Christgau comes up) of slapping post- -core -wave prefixes and suffixes to things just to give them a name. But I really don't know what else to call those bands. If I had just slapped that vague blanket term of "indie" on it, we probably could have avoided this conversation altogether (then we could have had that equally tired conversation about using indie to categorize music instead! wouldnt that have been fun to rehash).

I know that while a lot of you guys do check pitchfork from time to time, I was also under the impression that most, if not all, of you consider the bulk of their writing obnoxious and pretentious, and take it as just another source. Like I apparently tried to convey and failed to before, I've learned from past DI games that pretty much everyone here has a much wider variety of musical taste than most people I've run into both on and offline--something no one here would have if any of us were straight up pitchfork fanboys (this would be a pretty shitty place to discuss music, and I'd have left years ago). The whole pitchfork fanboy thing as an insult is for the close-minded only-post-in-eykiw/only-listen-to-U2-or-bands-thy-think-sound-like-U2 schlooopy types. I know there's more to the people who frequent b&c than that. It's that whole selfish thing about wanting to be handed a taste of music outside of what I already am familiar with. Hell, I get irritated with pandora when I type in bouncing souls, and it gives me the same social distortion, street dogs, pennywise songs I've already had on my iPod for years. Maybe it's just an indication that I've spent too much time here, weighted this place as too important a source of music, and that's where the overlap really comes from.

Or, I just really don't like tame impala.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I think I could legitimately be called a Pitchfork fanboy in the sense that I have enjoyed a very high percentage of what they recommend (aside from hip-hop, which is my blindspot). On that basis I trust their judgment, as I think many of us do considering how many bands/artists are discussed on account of a BNM tag.

That said, I think every one of us that frequents B&C also has a lot of knowledge about music outside Pitchfork as well. Cobbler knows hip-hop, Laz knows basically everything about the 90s, djerdap seems to know metal quite well, I'd say I know a thing or two about jazz, etc. Though our tastes may intersect at Pitchfork darlings like The National or Los Campesinos, the spectrum of this forum as a whole is impressively far-reaching. Just my take.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
This isn't directed at IWB at all, but I get very annoyed by comments aimed at us B&Cers by other forum members as if we're all simply Pitchfork fanboys. These lists would be a cavalcade of shitty no-name hip-hop if that were the case.
I remember a post Nick made in which he said something to the effect that any poster who doesn't fawn over U2 must be too busy listening to Vampire Weekend. I know obnoxiousness was his intent, but it was still a comment of glaring ignorance.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
I think I could legitimately be called a Pitchfork fanboy in the sense that I have enjoyed a very high percentage of what they recommend (aside from hip-hop, which is my blindspot). On that basis I trust their judgment, as I think many of us do considering how many bands/artists are discussed on account of a BNM tag.
But there's a difference between using them as a trustworthy source of music recommendations vs simply agreeing with everything they say. You can enjoy the majority of the albums they tag as bnm all you want, but unless you're parroting their opinions word for word, I don't think fanboy is really the correct term.

Quote:

That said, I think every one of us that frequents B&C also has a lot of knowledge about music outside Pitchfork as well. Cobbler knows hip-hop, Laz knows basically everything about the 90s, djerdap seems to know metal quite well, I'd say I know a thing or two about jazz, etc. Though our tastes may intersect at Pitchfork darlings like The National or Los Campesinos, the spectrum of this forum as a whole is impressively far-reaching. Just my take.
Exactly.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Laz knows basically everything about the 90s
I know more than that!

I'm smahhhht!

IWB is right, a true Pitchfork fanboy would just take all their ratings as gospel, and like everything that gets a high score.

While I get almost all my music info from Pitchfork (either directly or through people here), my tastes don't fall in line like that. It's just a place to discover what's new and read descriptions where you can get a sense of whether it's something you might enjoy.