Desert Island IX: Master List, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Let's get this shit rolling. PMs will be sent out shortly. Next round of lists will come out some time late next week.

In this thread, comment on what you're hearing. Go wild. Post long-ass running diaries and pad your post count or simply a :up:. Either way, the most fun aspect of this tournament is the listening/commenting portion so have some damn fun with it.

the tourist

3492fc4.jpg

a total running time of two hours, thirty-eight minutes, and fifty seconds. surf's up.

the first part.

01. Abe Vigoda - "Sequins" - Crush |4:21|
02. Diiv - "Human" - Oshin |2:57|
03. Deerhunter - "Sleepwalking" - Monomania |3:08|
04. Poor Moon - "People In Her Mind" - Illusion |3:03|
05. The Kinks - "Waterloo Sunset" - Waterloo Sunset [Single] |3:16|
06. Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Who'll Stop the Rain" - |2:27|
07. The White Strips - "Hotel Yorba" - White Blood Cells |2:10|
08. The Rolling Stones - "Monkey Man" - Let It Bleed |4:11|
09. The Supremes - "Love Is Here and Now You're Gone" - Gold |2:47|
10. The Temptations - "My Girl" - The Definitive Collection |2:45|

should be closely followed.

11. Lupe Fiasco - "All Black Everything" - Lasers |3:41|
12. Kanye West - "Diamonds From Sierra Leone [ft. Jay-Z]" - Late Registration |3:53|
13. Justin Timberlake - "Suit and Tie" - The 20/20 Experience |5:26|
14. Outkast - "Ms. Jackson" - Stankonia |4:31|
15. The Flaming Lips - "Sunship Balloons" - Ego Tripping At The Gates Of Hell [EP] |4:04|
16. Stardeath and White Dwarfs - "I Can't Get Away" - The Birth |3:16|
17. The Black Keys - "Dead And Gone" - El Camino |3:41|
18. Cults - "Oh My God" - Cults |3:21|
19. Lotus Plaza - "Strangers" - Spooky Action at a Distance |4:31|
20. Youth Lagoon - "Third Dystopia" - Wondrous Bughouse |5:01|

by each additional part.

21. Lykke Li - "Silver Springs" - Just Tell Me That You Want Me |4:11|
22. Melody's Echo Chamber - "Some Time Alone, Alone" - Melody's Echo Chamber |3:46|
23. Ringo Deathstarr - "Other Things" - Colour Trip |3:28|
24. Wild Nothing - "Rheya" - Nocturne |3:55|
25. Twin Shadow - "Patient" - Confess |3:25|
26. Stars - "Hold On When You Get Love and Let Go When You Give It" - The North |4:39|
27. Van She - "Sarah" - Idea Of Happiness |4:42|
28. Neon Indian - "Polish Girl" - Era Extraña |4:24|
29. Passion Pit - "Carried Away" - Gossamer |3:42|
30. Tame Impala - "Feels Like We Only Go Backwards" - Lonerism |3:13|

until the end.

31. M83 - "Splendor" - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming |5:08|
32. Girls - "Carolina" - Broken Dreams Club [EP] |7:44|
33. Pickwick - "Brother Roland" - Can't Talk Medicine |4:13|
34. Local Natives - "Wide Eyes" - Gorilla Manor |4:26|
35. Fleet Foxes - "He Doesn't Know Why" - Fleet Foxes |3:20|
36. The Junipers - "They Lived Up in the Valley" - Paint the Ground |2:49|
37. Led Zeppelin - "Stairway to Heaven" - IV |8:03|
38. Simon & Garfunkel - "The Sounds of Silence" - Sounds of Silence |3:09|
39. The Beatles - "Strawberry Fields Forever" - Magical Mystery Tour |4:07|
40. The Beach Boys - "Surf's Up" - Surf's Up |4:14|

without pause.

Joey788

Playlist: Almost Still

For this playlist, I decided to go with a musical theme rather than a storyline. I've been working on this since the end of the last desert island and was inspired to make something quieter than my usual picks. Most of these songs are slow-to-mid tempo tracks that put you into a serene state of mind. Hopefully, you will all enjoy listening to this playlist as much as I enjoyed putting it together.

Disc 1: Silent Swimming

01. Elbow - "The Birds" - Build a Rocket Boys! (8:03)
02. St. Vincent "Cruel" - Strange Mercy (3:35)
03. Metric - "Blindness" - Fantasies (4:26)
04. Interpol - "Lights" - Interpol (5:37)
05. Depeche Mode - "Get Right With Me" - Songs of Faith and Devotion (3:52)
06. TV On The Radio - "Killer Crane" - Nine Types of Light (6:14)
07. Arcade Fire - "Modern Man" - The Suburbs (4:39)
08. Beck - "Jack-Ass" - Odelay (4:13)
09. Danger Mouse and Daniele Luppi, feat. Norah Jones - "Black" - Rome (3:32)
10. Florence & the Machine - "I'm Not Calling You A Liar" - Lungs (3:05)
11. The Beatles - "She's Leaving Home" - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (3:34)
12. Coldplay - "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" - A Rush Of Blood To The Head (5:53)
13. The Joy Formidable - "Silent Treatment" - Wolf's Law (3:39)
14. The National - "I Need My Girl" - Trouble Will Find Me (4:05)
15. R.E.M. - "Nightswimming" - Automatic For The People (4:18)

Disc 2: Tender Nature

01. Blur - "Tender" - 13 (7:42)
02. Gotye, feat. Kimbra - "Somebody That I Used To Know" - Making Mirrors (4:05)
03. Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse - "Star Eyes (I Can't Catch It) - Dark Night of the Soul (3:10)
04. The Go! Team - "Lazy Poltergeist" - Rolling Blackouts (1:40)
05. Porcupine Tree - "Heartattack In A Layby" - In Absentia (4:16)
06. Nine Inch Nails - "Right Where It Belongs" - With Teeth (5:04)
07. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - "Penetration" - The Social Network (1:14)
08. Bat for Lashes - "Moon and Moon" - Two Suns (3:08)
09. U2 - "Stay (Faraway, So Close)" - Zooropa (4:58)
10. Sharon Van Etten - "Love More" - Epic (5:14)
11. Bon Iver - "Holocene" - Bon Iver (5:36)
12. Astronautalis - "17 Summers" - Pomegranate (2:50)
13. Radiohead - "Give Up The Ghost" - The King of Limbs (4:50)
14. Savages - "Dead Nature" - Silence Yourself (2:06)
15. Steven Wilson - "The Raven That Refused To Sing" - The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) (7:57)

Total Runtime: 132:35

iron yuppie

Title: Uptempo/Downtempo

Cover Art:

9060472202_598b61005c_o.jpg

The underlying concept of this list is a simple one: songs that make me want to move. Not all of them would fall under the category of "dance" or even "electronica," but they all boast a groove or beat that I find infectious and energizing in some way or another.

1. Animal Collective - "My Girls" - Merriweather Post Pavilion (5:41)
2. TV on the Radio - "Second Song" - Nine Types of Light (4:20)
3. Hercules & Love Affair - "Hercules Theme" - Hercules & Love Affair (4:30)
4. Prince - "Kiss" - The Hits 2 (3:46)
5. Blondie - "Rapture" - Greatest Hits (5:36)
6. The Rolling Stones - "Miss You" - Some Girls (4:49)
7. Elton John - "I Don't Wanna Go on with You Like That" - Reg Strikes Back (4:33)
8. New Order - "Bizarre Love Triangle [Shep Pettibone 12" Mix]" - Brotherhood Expanded Edition (6:46)
9. Daft Punk - "Around the World" - Homework (7:09)
10. LCD Soundsystem - "Get Innocuous!" - Sound of Silver (7:12)
11. The Knife - "Silent Shout" - Silent Shout (4:54)
12. Portishead - "Wandering Star" - Dummy (4:54)
13. Burial - "Shell of Light" - Untrue (4:45)
14. Atoms for Peace - "Ingenue" - Amok (4:30)
15. Actress - "Ascending" - R.I.P. (3:08)
16. Depeche Mode - "Enjoy the Silence [7" Version]" - The Singles Box 4 (4:23)
17. Neon Indian - "Fallout" - Era Extrana (3:32)
18. Cut Copy - "Sun God" - Zonoscope (15:07)

Total Runtime: 99 minutes 35 seconds

nielsgov

THE EXACT COLOUR OF DOUBT

Does this playlist have a theme? Not really. These are just songs I like. The overal atmosphere is pretty dark though, so that's where the cover and the title come from. I think it fits the music. And I just like that particular song title a lot. The first half is mainly electronic but it slowly gets more conventional. I hope there are at least a few artists you're unfamiliar with. I'm sure there are a few, even if it's only two or three (the Belgian artists). Enjoy.

(Note: I don't know how to change the album artwork in the files itself so it shows the Haxan Cloak artwork (in my iTunes at least). You can always change it if you so wish, the cover's in the zip file.)

1. Liars - "The Exact Colour of Doubt" - WIXIW (4:08)
2. Björk - "Hunter" - Homogenic (4:15)
3. Amatorski - "Soldier" - tbc (4:21)
4. Trentemöller - "Take Me Into Your Skin" - The Last Resort (7:44)
5. The Haxan Cloak - "Excavation (Part 2)" - Excavation (4:13)
6. Burial - "Loner" - Kindred EP (7:28)
7. Mogwai - "Sine Wave" - Rock Action (4:55)
8. Blur - "Battle" - 13 (7:44)
9. My Bloody Valentine - "When You Sleep" - Loveless (4:12)
10. Deerhunter - "Operation" - Weird Era Continued (4:04)
11. Queens Of The Stone Age - "Misfit Love" - Era Vulgaris (5:40)
12. Arcade Fire - "Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)" - Funeral (5:13)
13. Radiohead - "Climbing Up The Walls" - OK Computer (4:45)
14. The Cure - "From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea" - Wish (7:45)
15. dEUS - "Gimme The Heat" - In A Bar, Under The Sea (7:38)
16. The National - "Cardinal Song" - Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers (6:20)
17. Balthazar - "Sides" - Rats (3:06)

Total runtime: 93:31

gump

Saturday Night, Sunday Morning

Forgive me for the admittedly cliché topic, but it gave me some freedom with the sounds and moods I wanted to explore. Saturday night starts off as the protagonist escapes yet again to the city, to find entertainment and sex. Despite the glowing lights and glamour, he thinks of Jane Smiley, whom he left yet again at home after a meaningless argument. The bright lights start to get blurry as he realizes the mistakes he's made. Suddenly, the people around him don't look so extraordinary, and the substances he consumed start to take their toll. He wonders if he will make it through this. Sunday morning is full of regret. He asks for forgiveness, but doesn't expect it. He realizes it's too late. As Jane leaves, he feels alone in the house. He pretends he can have her back and return home to southern Carolina. But he drives alone to the house of his estranged father, frozen underground.

Volume I

1. Kavinsky Feat. Lovefoxxx - "Nightcall" - Drive Original Soundtrack (4:20)
2. M83 - "Midnight City" - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming (4:04)
3. Grimes - "Genesis" - Visions (4:15)
4. Purity Ring - "Fineshrine" - Shrines (3:30)
5. Phantogram - "Mouthful of Diamonds" - Eyelid Movies (4:13)
6. Broken Social Scene - "All to All" - Forgiveness Rock Record (4:50)
7. Autre Ne Veut - "Play by Play" - Anxiety (5:14)
8. MGMT - "Electric Feel" - Oracular Spectacular (3:49)
9. Wild Nothing - "Midnight Song" - Nocturne (3:07)
10. Beach House - "Wishes" - Bloom (4:47)
11. Beck - "Chemtrails" - Modern Guilt (4:40)
12. James Blake - "Voyeur" - Overgrown (4:18)
13. Sufjan Stevens - "I Want To Be Well" - The Age Of Adz (6:29)

Run time: 57:28

Volume II

1. Belle & Sebastian - "The State I Am In" - Push Barman To Open Old Wounds (5:00)
2. Phosphorescent - "Song For Zula" - Muchacho (6:10)
3. Tame Impala - "Feels Like We Only Go Backwards" - Lonerism (3:13)
4. The National - "About Today" - Cherry Tree (4:11)
5. Yo La Tengo - "Well You Better" - Fade (2:37)
6. Franz Ferdinand - "Eleanor Put Your Boots On" - You Could Have It So Much Better (2:50)
7. Eleanor Friedberger - "Stare at the Sun" - Personal Record (2:56)
8. Andrew Bird - "Orpheo Looks Back" - Break It Yourself (4:55)
9. Beirut - "The Rip Tide" - The Rip Tide (4:26)
10. Girls - "Carolina" - Broken Dreams Club (7:44)
11. Wilco - "One Sunday Morning (Song for Jane Smiley's Boyfriend)" - The Whole Love (12:04)

Run time: 56:02

Total run time: 1:53:30

Peef, Phanahan, Mr. V: your PM boxes are full. Clear them out or give me your email and I'll hook you up with links.

What's good about the Saturday night theme is it's kinda universal and across generations, plus Aute Ne Veut's track Play by Play is what is commonly known as a 'tune'. Plus I like the tourists as you have a couple of tracks I don't know, which I always enjoy discovering.

I wish I could explain how happy seeing these playlists makes me. From the weirdest to the most well adjusted of us, we all share a very deep love of music that, at least in my circle of friends and family, your average person does not fully relate to or understand and thus it's hard to share. For example, on Sunday a friend of mine and I went to a little vinyl record swap meet in Chinatown. I don't even own a record player yet I loved being around this environment....songs blaring, music lovers combing boxes for that album they covet, etc. I could have stayed all day. My friend wanted to leave after 30 minutes, so I indulged her and we split. Not a big deal, but perhaps slightly illustrative. So...that passion cannot be channeled in too many different ways...you can listen, of course....you can learn to sing or play or write music.....maybe teach it even....but your options narrow after that, especially if you have the love and passion but not the aptitude. For the music nut, making a playlist is a potentially naked form of expression. Maybe you cannot find the words or craft the music to match how you feel or think, but songs can be your proxy. It's easy to make a playlist, but it's a labor of love to make one that shines a light on something about you that maybe cannot be gleaned by any other means. Maybe I'm just speaking for myself - as a long time consumer of art but one who is wholly unable to create any - so forgive me if this is not just a corny post but a horribly self centered one at that. I guess I'm just saying that the huge music dork in me is able to walk arm in arm with the eternally inquisitive person in me when these competitions take place. I learn about music, I learn about you all, and that means something to me, even if it's just a playlist and even if it's just the internet.

I'll stfu and sorry for the random post. Looking forward to giving these lists a listen.

Oh, and, seeing "I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That" pop up on a list is wonderful. I mean, this is an ocean of amazing tunes and this song is not nearly at the top, but still...an unexpected little inclusion. Nice. :)

Gump, Saturday night to Sunday morning has guided several of my playlists.

I was a bit hesitant at first, but it worked well enough for the kind of songs I wanted to play. It's universal theme, as LJT said, so it always ends up working. Hope you guys will like it.

I wish I could explain how happy seeing these playlists makes me. From the weirdest to the most well adjusted of us, we all share a very deep love of music that, at least in my circle of friends and family, your average person does not fully relate to or understand and thus it's hard to share. For example, on Sunday a friend of mine and I went to a little vinyl record swap meet in Chinatown. I don't even own a record player yet I loved being around this environment....songs blaring, music lovers combing boxes for that album they covet, etc. I could have stayed all day. My friend wanted to leave after 30 minutes, so I indulged her and we split. Not a big deal, but perhaps slightly illustrative. So...that passion cannot be channeled in too many different ways...you can listen, of course....you can learn to sing or play or write music.....maybe teach it even....but your options narrow after that, especially if you have the love and passion but not the aptitude. For the music nut, making a playlist is a potentially naked form of expression. Maybe you cannot find the words or craft the music to match how you feel or think, but songs can be your proxy. It's easy to make a playlist, but it's a labor of love to make one that shines a light on something about you that maybe cannot be gleaned by any other means. Maybe I'm just speaking for myself - as a long time consumer of art but one who is wholly unable to create any - so forgive me if this is not just a corny post but a horribly self centered one at that. I guess I'm just saying that the huge music dork in me is able to walk arm in arm with the eternally inquisitive person in me when these competitions take place. I learn about music, I learn about you all, and that means something to me, even if it's just a playlist and even if it's just the internet. I'll stfu and sorry for the random post. Looking forward to giving these lists a listen. Oh, and, seeing "I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That" pop up on a list is wonderful. I mean, this is an ocean of amazing tunes and this song is not nearly at the top, but still...an unexpected little inclusion. Nice. :)

All this.

Oh, and, seeing "I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That" pop up on a list is wonderful. I mean, this is an ocean of amazing tunes and this song is not nearly at the top, but still...an unexpected little inclusion. Nice. :)

:up:

I'm an unapologetic Elton fan, even for the cheesiest bollocks he put out in the 80s and 90s. I remember this track being one that really stuck with me when I first picked up a greatest hits package of his however many years ago.

Gump, Saturday night to Sunday morning has guided several of my playlists.

Technically mine could fall under that category too, once I finalize it. Hell, a few years ago I made up a shitty novel-long story loosely based off my all time favorite album that essentially adhered somewhat to that theme. Except whenever I do it, Saturday night is fairly dark and it's implied that by Sunday morning my central character is dead...

You must have some fun nights out:hmm:

On my Saturday nights out you're lucky to see me on the Monday, I just party harder. I'm actually struggling to think of the last Saturday I went out, work sucks.

Nice heartfelt piece NSW, I also struggle with people who just don't get music in general. It is to too many just something in the background or what they dance around to in the club beyond that it's nothing, hence why you have music by the likes of Celine Dion and Chris de Burgh for people who don't really like music.

I wish I could explain how happy seeing these playlists makes me. From the weirdest to the most well adjusted of us, we all share a very deep love of music that, at least in my circle of friends and family, your average person does not fully relate to or understand and thus it's hard to share.

I hear you completely! Sometimes I wonder... why aren't more people I know into music?? I mean, people love watching movies, discussing movies, reading and discussing books etc. but most people only listen to music that's on constant rotation on the radio stations... and that too, so passively. I don't get it. What's there in movies that isn't there in music?? In fact, I'd rather listen to music and get some work done in the meantime than sit and stare at the idiot box for hours. Productivity and enjoyment at the same time. ;)

Sometimes I even wonder, am I just freaking weird and different and are all these people normal?? Then, I dismiss it thinking I like what I like. So no need to think too much about it.

Most people I know don't read books, and a lot of the ones that do only read the novel equivalents of top 40 radio. I feel sorry for them.

I did send a cover photo with mine, no?

It's in the uploaded file anyway.

That was a great post NSW. I totally understand as I'm also in the music-lover-with-zero-talent camp.

I forgot to send my spotify playlist to LM, in case someone would prefer not to download. Let me know if you want the link and I'll PM it to you (I tried to send it to the whole group, but realized I'm no longer allowed to send PMs to more than a user since my interference subscription has expired).

Alright, some serious listening going on over here at my end! :hyper: I downloaded the tourist's links and have been listening over the past hour or so.

Right off the bat, these songs are quite upbeat and fun. I even enjoyed many of the songs that I don't know. Loved that whole stretch of Poor Moon, Kinks, CCR and the Stripes.

After that, the Supremes brought on an interesting change of flavour. Love the Temptations of course! And next came the rap and hip-hop segment which I'll admit I approached with some caution cos I don't listen to the genre all that much. But I have to say that i really enjoyed these bunch of songs here. Liked that one moment in Ms. Jackson that is like a nod to Diamonds (is it?). Good stuff!

Lotus Plaza was quite interesting. Still have to listen from track 21 until finish. Looking forward to it. :)

Okay, something that is freaking weird and annoying as heck in the new itunes... After I copied all of the tourist's songs on there, I should've been able to search for "surf's up" or something like that and just listen to the whole thing as an album. But that did not happen. It brought up all of the 40 songs individually as 40 different albums but with the same album name. :huh: So I had to add all the songs individually to a playlist that I created specially, in order to listen to his list. What is the point of pre-arranging everything and uploading then, if the new itunes won't bring it up as an album??

ETA: Never mind. After you search for something, instead of clicking on a particular song, if you just hit enter it seems to present it in an album list you can easily listen to. Friggin' new itunes!

Another thing you could do is go to your genre tab at the top. I believe I labeled all the songs' genres as "Desert Island, Baby!" or something.

Glad you're enjoying so far! :up:

I've got an album to listen to first, but then I will be starting this shiz. In order, I suppose, so The Tourist, you're up first.

I was going to start with nielsgov's list since my computer is being occupied by video games, but the spotify playlist won't work for some reason. I'll just download the lists once guild raiding is done for the night :nerd:

Back
Top Bottom