Desert Island IX: Master List, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beach house, lame impala, wild nothing, lotus plaza...at risk of being accused of a brau-style freak out, I'm starting to wonder if this is the thread for playlists of songs that people would be ok with listening to for the rest of their stranded on an island lives, or a rundown of favorite bands from 2012? Cos I'm seeing a striking resemblance to last year's best of lists, and it's not making me excited to listen to any of them.

That's not entirely true, there's plenty about them (tourist and iyup in particular) I'm interested in hearing and Joey apparently likes "right where it belongs" as much as I do.

I will admit that I also noticed, in the two lists I've heard, I remarkable amount of songs from last year, but, it didn't but me too much.

I think it was just the bands that lemon mirror singled out. That, and that somebody that I used to know travesty made someone's list. But otherwise, I probably wouldn't have noticed.

I should probably just finish my list, download the ones LM sent out, and buy a new aux cable so I can listen to them at work on Saturday. I'll probably have to get an fm transmitter though. My coworkers keep blowing up the engines in the trucks with the aux holes in them because they never check the oil.

I was trying to figure out the correlation between the two, but I'm assuming its just a coincidence?

To exploding ambulance engines and aux holes? No relation, just proof of why we can't have nice things.

For some reason I was thinking that plugging the Mp3 player into the AUX was somehow affecting the oil level.

I'm guessing that wasn't a typo. lol.

It was not. I find them quite boring (I didn't hate innerspeaker at first, but don't think lonerism deserved half the adulation it received on this site, and that backlashed all over innerspeaker).

It was not. I find them quite boring (I didn't hate innerspeaker at first, but don't think lonerism deserved half the adulation it received on this site, and that backlashed all over innerspeaker).

From what I've read about them so far, they're a neo-psychedelic band with what sounds like John Lennon on the vocals. Automatically my interest is piqued. But I still haven't gotten round to downloading an album yet.

Beach house, lame impala, wild nothing, lotus plaza...at risk of being accused of a brau-style freak out, I'm starting to wonder if this is the thread for playlists of songs that people would be ok with listening to for the rest of their stranded on an island lives, or a rundown of favorite bands from 2012? Cos I'm seeing a striking resemblance to last year's best of lists, and it's not making me excited to listen to any of them.

That's not entirely true, there's plenty about them (tourist and iyup in particular) I'm interested in hearing and Joey apparently likes "right where it belongs" as much as I do.

I have a huge amount of new songs on my list. The oldest one is from 1999 I think and there are multiple songs on my list have only been released this year. This just happens to be the music I listen to and love and I'd be lying to myself if I put in an entry that is any different.

I think DI has gone beyond a 'what would you take with you on a desert island' comp. It's more a sharing and sampling of tastes, but not just that - it's about who can put together the most interesting puzzle using pieces of the music we love. It's cohesion and theme and sequencing.

That's how I feel anyway.

Nah, I don't really think of this as stuff I would gladly be stuck listening to for the rest of my life, and I don't go about putting mine together as if that was the case anyway. This is pretty much using music that you enjoy to make something, either to tell a story or over-arching theme, where flow is pretty much considered the most important part. Thats why, despite the fact that on paper I'm seeing a lot of songs and bands I wish would go away, I do like seeing if the overall context changes my mind. It has in the past, it very well could for some of these.

Other people like them but I don't really like them so they're GARBAGE

Garbage is a whole other band entirely. I don't like them, either.

Glad you enjoyed!

Out of curiosity, was there anything by an artist you'd never heard/heard of before that grabbed you enough to want to listen to more by that artist?

While I knew a lot of bands on your list, I was unfamiliar with Abe Vigoda and Local Natives. Definitely have to check them out in the near future, especially the latter.

Oh man, you are going to HATE my list.

I try to mix it up with what I'm digging right now [which usually happens to be newer releases], classic material that I absolutely love which falls into the confines of things that I haven't previously used of course, and stuff that I want to introduce others to [such as Poor Moon, Abe Vigoda, Stardeath and White Dwarfs, Ringo Deathstarr, etc.]. So yeah, my lists are usually going to be full of stuff I liked in the last two years or so, and albums like Lonerism and Fleet Foxes are probably my two favorites in the last decade. So yeah, they're gonna be represented.

The whole "Desert Island" thing goes away for me [a] when we can't use songs that've been previously used and when people actively try to shorten the competition - because people would totally want to bring less music with them to a desert island they'd be stranded on for the rest of their lives.

So, I'm a bit late to the party but I've just listened to nielsgov playlist. Very strong playlist, there were a lot of things that I enjoyed, particularly towards the ending, but overall there was a very nice flow.
I think I might like dEUS, I've only listened to The Ideal Crash so far but I loved it. Any recommendations?

Alright, just finished iYup's list. There was a lot to like about this list despite the fact that I'm not really a fan of the funk or trip-hop. Love that Animal Collective song, and that was a fun take on Bizarre Love Triangle. Also really dug The Knife and might have to listen to more of that. Neon Indian is always good, too. Classics like I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That and Enjoy The Silence were fun, too. A few of the tracks that I didn't really care for were those by Portishead, LCD Soundsystem (but I've never cared for them), and Cut Copy (which I just find to be way, way too long for how repetitive it is). The flow was pretty fantastic most of the way. Overall, to me, it mixed the fun/summer vibe of the first half with the icy/winter side of the second half very well. Very good list!

Next up will be Joey's list.

The song on the playlist is on In a Bar, Under the Sea. That's also my favorite album of theirs. If you like that one you should also check out Worst Case Scenario.

Thanks, Tourist. I listened to the first half of yours yesterday and am just now sitting down to the second. Part 1 was really a masterclass of sequencing. I was impressed with how you represented current indie-pop without it sounding monotonous. The second part as well was clever in how it showed influence across time and genre. I'm particularly thinking of the CCR-White Stripes-Rolling Stones sequence: you can hear the continuity of inspiration across those tracks. The one track that stood out as something I need to check out further was from Stardeath - I'll certainly be looking into them.

Back
Top Bottom