Desert Island IX: Master List, Part One - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #61
War Child

Local Time: 05:51 PM
One final word on gump's list: Wow I really loved that final track from Wilco! And even the one before that, Carolina was nice. Yeah, definitely liked your second half better.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:51 PM
I loved that me and gump both used a couple of the same songs. Carolina is pretty fantastic, although it took me a couple years to really click with it.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I was really happy to see it in your list too. And it took me a while to pay attention to it (or anything from Broken Dreams Club, really). I think it was their live show that made me go back to the EP.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Just finished with Joey's playlist, and enjoyed it a great deal. I agree that it flows really well. The Modern Man up to Don't Call Me a Liar sequence in particular stood out. I also liked the ending of the second disc (17 Summers -> Give Up The Ghost -> Dead Nature, which reminds me I need to listen to this Savages album more often), as well as your choice of two relatively serene openers for each disc. I sometimes felt that a little more genre diversity could help, but as Ashley I dig most of these songs and styles, so I'm not complaining. Great job.

iYup is next.

I need to come up with a way to rank all of these lists. Anyone have any ideas (apart from the uber-detailed method that tourist described?)
Old 06-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #65
War Child

Joey's files seem to be haphazard and not in order.

Now I understand how much more convenient it is for the listener when everything is ordered and presented as its own album!
Old 06-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #66
Blue Crack Distributor

Which is why I'm enjoying compiling the lists on Grooveshark

Joey, loved the second half. Was a bit sad that four of the songs were by the same two artists, but they all worked, and I liked the instrumentals you used as bridges. Reznor into Moon and Moon was especially good.

Two great lists to start things off with!
Old 06-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

I'm about a third of the way through nielsgov's list and at this point I can't help but think this album would probably connect with me more if it was winter. It's just got this really icy feel to it. The flow is absolutely fantastic. Also, I'd never heard that song by Bjork before (as I'm not really a fan of Bjork) and I liked it pretty well. The only version I'd heard of it before was by 30 Seconds To Mars, who covered it. Up to this point, I'd have to say the artist I need to listen to more of here is Liars. I listened to one of their albums once and never revisited it. But now I really think I need to revisit them in general.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Alright, there was a section in there that I really loved from When You Sleep through Climbing Up The Walls. The transition from When You Sleep to Operation was pretty jarring, but Operation is one of my favorite Deerhunter songs, so mad bonus points for including it. The Cure song is just starting and I'm not sure I've heard it before. Promising!
Old 06-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Final thoughts: I think the second half of your list was much better than the first half in regard to my personal enjoyment of the songs. The flow overall was superb (only hitch was what I mentioned before). Great overall list!
Old 06-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #70
Refugee

Gump and bono_212, glad to hear you enjoyed it! I was worried that it would wind up getting a little too samey at some points, but I'm happy to hear it flowed well.

Also, sorry about the haphazard order. My internet connection has not been great lately so I didn't have a chance to upload one that was in the correct sequence.

As for my listening, I'm about a third through tourist's list and I'm really enjoying it so far, especially how well some of the odd-at-first-glance transitions go. I like how well The Kinks slide into that 21st century indie opener and I thought the Temptations went great into Lupe. Looking forward to the rest!
Old 06-29-2013, 04:19 AM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Final thoughts: I think the second half of your list was much better than the first half in regard to my personal enjoyment of the songs. The flow overall was superb (only hitch was what I mentioned before). Great overall list!
Thanks. I also didn't like the transition to Operation but that's a damn hard song to segue to and I really wanted it in there. In the end I settled for one that wasn't horrible.

I also know it's a wintery playlist but that's just what I felt like making.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:02 AM   #72
Refugee

Local Time: 08:51 AM
LM, check your PMs.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:02 AM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:51 PM
I've got a double one hour car ride today. Seems like an ideal time to listen to Gump's list. Judging from the songs I already know it's going to be good.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #74
Refugee

FIFA 13 session tonight with Joey788 as the soundtrack. Taking running notes on my iPhone. First third of first disc is pretty good.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #75
Refugee

Joey 778: Tried to get into that Elbow album when it came out but found it boring, as I did the first half of The Birds. But the second was pretty spectacular. And it transitioned into a great St Vincent song I now wish I used. Was a bit indifferent to what came next, would have gone with a more upbeat song after Cruel than another slow builder. Really dug Depeche Mode. And Modern Man was another track I can't believe I forgot. High point of the list so far, terrific song. You've nailed most of the sequencing. Just realised Rome was the Lily of the Valley song... amazing. Top track. Jarring transition from The Beatles to Coldplay though - but I'm a bit of a transition nazi. From there to the end - lovely. I Need My Girl is amazing. Very impressed. Onto disc 2.