Desert Island IX: Master List, Part One - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2013, 04:00 AM   #31
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Alright, Andrew. Starting your list. First off, first Abe Vigoda song I've ever heard. If they all sound like this, I may have to look more. Please tell me now if I'm only in for disappointment

Old 06-27-2013, 04:43 AM   #32
Blue Crack Distributor

First section - Flow was fine, especially for the first few sections. Despite this, however, I felt like it was a little genre jumpy. Not a really bad thing, just something that jumped out at me.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #33
Blue Crack Distributor

There were moments in section two where I forgot I was listening to a list and got confused when the sound changed so abruptly (like the transition into Black Keys). There were certainly good things going there. Surprised by how much I enjoyed the Youth Lagoon track. Don't recall caring much for them.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #34
Blue Crack Distributor

Section 3 has been my favorite so far. But that's helped by the fact that you had my favorite song of last year in there ("Hold on When you Get Love and Let Go When You Get It")
Old 06-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #35
Blue Crack Distributor

Annnnddd, section 4 wasn't exactly my favorite section, but it wasn't bad either.

Overall, you set the bar pretty high, Andrew. Lots of songs I enjoyed, fairly decent flow (there were some wonky bits, but they were few and far between) and an overall nice vibe. Great stuff.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:32 AM
I'm ready. I'll start with Joey's list tonight, iron yuppie's tomorrow (I think that one works as a Friday listen), and the tourist and nielsgov over the weekend.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Alright, Andrew. Starting your list. First off, first Abe Vigoda song I've ever heard. If they all sound like this, I may have to look more. Please tell me now if I'm only in for disappointment
The only album I have is the one that's represented on my list, but that album is very consistant and has a similar sound throughout. If you liked that one, I'd be shocked if you didn't like the album.

Glad you enjoyed overall!
Old 06-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Well, I'm halfway through the first half of gump's list. Really digging most of the stuff. Some of the high points that I was previously familiar with are Midnight City, Electric Feel, and Midnight Song. A couple that I didn't know that are gonna make me go out and find more by the artist were Play By Play and Nightcall. There were only three songs I didn't care for to this point, which is not bad at all - they were All To All (I've never cared for Broken Social Scene, though), Voyeur, and I Want To Be Well. Overall the flow was very good. Especially from Play By Play through Chemtrails.

A side note on how I grade/rank: Each song gets 10 points. My personal enjoyment of the song takes up 7 of those, the flow in and out takes up 2, and overall theme takes up 1. I know it's probably pretty Pitchforkian, because on my little notebook where I'm going to rank these things, I'll be diving the total number by the number of tracks to come out with a number with a decimal.

The first half of gump's list ranks pretty damn high.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #39
War Child

A lot of these songs on the tourist's list I'm hearing for the very first time... Like I've mentioned before I'm quite out of touch with new music right now. So bands I've been curious about over the past few years (but never bothered to check them out) like Wild Nothing, Tame Impala, Lotus Plaza, M83 etc., I'm only listening to now through these songs. It feels good to discover some new music. But I'm not sure if these are necessarily the best beginners tracks of the respective bands to listen to or not.

For example: I liked Wild Nothing's Rheya. But I didn't care too much for Tame Impala's Feels Like We Only Go Backwards. I didn't find it terrible or anything but didn't find it exceptional either. But I kinda liked Lotus Plaza's Strangers. But didn't care much for M83's Splendour. Either these are not the perfect places to start for these bands or I just need more time with some of this music.

Anyway, it's good fun to listen to new stuff and see if I like anything.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Glad you are enjoying it so far, tourist. If you liked Nightcall, you'll probably enjoy Chromatics (Kill for Love) - it's a more complete album than the Drive OST, which contains lots of instrumental tracks.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:32 AM
I'm starting my listening now. iYup's list.

My Girls is definitely a good opener.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #42
War Child

Okay I'm sorry, call me old-fashioned or whatever but I thoroughly enjoyed those last four songs on tourists' list! Stairway to Heaven, Strawberry Fields Forever, Sound of Silence... they really don't make 'em like they used to! I AM giving new songs a chance and maybe they need more time to grow on me, but this finale was gold!
Old 06-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #43
Blue Crack Distributor

LMS, Splendor is definitely not the gateway drug song for M83. Please try more things.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:32 AM
Liked the first two songs (which I knew) but then I got a few songs I didn't know. They flowed nicely but funk isn't exactly my favorite genre so I didn't enjoy it all. Miss You was nice though, and the Prince track was enjoyable as well.

Bizarre Love Triangle was also new to me but what a great track! The following section was pretty strong. I'm at Wandering Star now.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
LMS, Splendor is definitely not the gateway drug song for M83. Please try more things.
Agreed. I'd suggest Kim & Jessie or Midnight City (which is on gump's list) for a "gateway drug".