Desert Island IX: Master List, Part One - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #226
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Unless you're Zoots.
Too soon.

In other news, gump can you make me personal mixtapes every month? I try not to look out the tracklistings beforehand, so hearing "Eleanor Put Your Boots On" instigated a big, stupid grin. Hadn't heard that track in ages.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #227
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:56 PM
Glad you liked, LMP. Eleanor... is probably my favorite Franz Ferdinand song. And - in case you don't know - it's supposedly about Eleanor Friedberger, the next artist in the playlist.

Are you participating in this DI, by the way? I remember really enjoying your playlist last time I participated - DI6, methinks. Would love to see what you'd put together now.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #228
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Interesting, I didn't know that. Juxtaposing tracks like that is always delightful. I really appreciated the brevity to your list & iYup's. Unfortunately mine's in the sprawling end of the length spectrum.

Yessir, snuck in right under the wire. My list should be in the next batch! Thanks, I look forward to your thoughts.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #229
Refugee

Local Time: 09:56 AM
Back on the DI horse. Cranking gump's list right now. Great 1-2 opening in Kavinsky/M83. Makes me want to drink, which is basically all you can ask for two tracks into a 'Saturday night/Sunday morning'.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:05 AM   #230
Refugee

A bit like my last few listens, I'm not paying attention to what artists are behind the tracks, just listening while I go about my business... and this list is putting me in a very happy place. Great choons.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #231
Refugee

Well, that was brilliant. Top list. Didn't have a problem with any of the transitions, and perhaps my only complaint was that the second disc was a bit dull at times. But Eleanor into Eleanor was gold. Will have to go through this list with a fine-tooth comb soon to find out what music I'm going to get into now - the vast majority I'd never heard before and it was all pretty, pretty, pretty good. Bravo gump.

Tourist, you're on tomorrow while I cook a tuna casserole and a pork vindaloo in the morning.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #232
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Thanks, sir. Appreciate your comments - glad you liked it. Making others drink is my goal in life.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #233
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
Thanks, sir. Appreciate your comments - glad you liked it. Making others drink is my goal in life.
http://youtu.be/Oo9buo9Mtos
Old 08-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #234
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

The tourist's list covers a lot of genre-expansive territory with a straightforward theme, to mostly great effect. Pleasant and enjoyable from start-to-finish, though unfortunately my favorite new track of the bunch, "Carolina" by Girls, also appears on gump's list. No offense to you, tourist - I preferred its placement there. The third segment, focusing on the indie-electronica jams, stuck out the most for me and felt the most inspired.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #235
Blue Crack Addict

Time for me to get my reviews in...

the tourist

Really enjoyed this. A nice mix of old and new, which I always like.

As others have stated, one of the best parts of DI is getting around to discovering something you otherwise missed. Not sure why I never picked up on Diiv, because that's right up my alley. Ended up buying the CD shortly after.

I think some of the song transitions were a bit off, and I would have gone with a different song to wrap things up, but other than that, thought this was a great turn for you.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #236
Blue Crack Addict

Joey788

I've always felt that Joey's playlists were a bit underestimated in past DIs; I've always dug what he's produced. This one is no exception.

While most of the songs here are recent releases, it's hard to deny how good they are. It's a fairly straight up list, and I knew pretty much everything on here already, but I still had a good time listening. I've read others talk about Savages, and haven't listened to them myself yet other than this song and another one I've heard, so that will require further exploration.

As a big PT fan, you get bonus points for including a Steven Wilson song that is one of his better solo outings.

Good songs, decent sequencing. Nice job.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #237
Blue Crack Addict

gump

Great effort. I more or less liked everything on here, although I'm not a big fan of Sufjan Stevens, so that ended an otherwise exceptional Part 1. Nightcall was a great leadoff track, and the flow was perfect.

Liked Part 2 a bit less, but still great stuff. Again, the last track was a notch below the rest of the material, but that's probably just me because I've never cared for Wilco, while most people here seem to love them.

It's all relatively new songs here, and while I would have liked to have seen a bit more variety, I can't deny the awesomeness of the tunes you have here. Loved listening to it.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #238
Blue Crack Addict

iyup

First up, I agree with you on Elton. Despite his downturn in the late 70's and beyond, he still churned out some great singles, including the one you have here. Nice addition.

I think I would have swapped Second Song and My Girls for your opener. I think it would have been smoother at the top that way. Both great songs, of course.

Otherwise, a nicely constructed playlist. I need to listen to some more of Neon Indian apparently.

And you picked the best version of Rapture. The original album version is not as good.

A bit on the short side. You do well with these things, so I like to hear more. But I'll take what I can get...
Old 08-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #239
Blue Crack Addict

neilsgov

Kudos for being the Part 1 playlist with the most songs I didn't know. Always a treat to hear new things in DI.

Really enjoyed the first part which acts that I'm not familiar with, such as Liars, Amatorski, and The Haxan Cloak. Although I can't stand Bjork myself, but I'll disregard that one for now. Also, any playlist with Mogwai is a plus in my book.

Knew more of the songs further into the playlist, obviously. Great picks for MBV and The National in particular. Still not a fan of Deerhunter, though.

Overall, this was a unique listening experience that flowed very well. Nice to have you partake in this.