Desert Island IX: Master List, Part One - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #166
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:46 PM
Finished listening to tourist’s playlist last night, and really liked it. I thought the transitions were put together very well, as iYup said, and it was a good mix of genres, styles and periods – classic and new stuff. My favourite sequence was probably Flaming Lips all the way to Lotus Plaza. White Stripes to Rolling Stones was very good too. I’ll check Stardeath and the White Dwarfs, who I didn’t know, and Ringo Deathstarr. The hip hop section didn’t do much for me, but I don’t care much for hip hop in general. But it’s a minor complaint. Great job overall.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #167
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
Maybe, but you'll probably hate mine as well. But so will everyone else.
I just mean that when I wrapped up, I looked at all of the years and actually thought to myself, "There is an unusually large number of recent tracks on this thing." I have four songs on my list released before 2005. I didn't intentionally set out to do so, it just sort of happened.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #168
Refugee

Local Time: 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I just mean that when I wrapped up, I looked at all of the years and actually thought to myself, "There is an unusually large number of recent tracks on this thing." I have four songs on my list released before 2005. I didn't intentionally set out to do so, it just sort of happened.
Happened to me too. Meh. As a whole I'm happy and that's all that matters.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #169
The Male

Local Time: 03:46 PM
My list:

60s: 9
70s: 19
80s: 2
90s: 5
00s: 3
10s: 0

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #170
Blue Crack Addict

Is this the one that will have some power pop from the 70's?

EDIT: yep.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #171
The Male

A quarter of it is power pop

I'm glad there was some distance between it and your last mini DI.

Now.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #172
Blue Crack Addict

Meh, it was only a mini anyway.

Can't wait to listen to it.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:40 AM   #173
War Child

Local Time: 12:46 AM
Just finished listening iron yuppie's playlist.
Reading the tracklist, I wasn't sure I would enjoy it, but I did, very much, particularly from Rapture onwards. Really, really enjoyed that Elton John's song. I'm ashamed to say I hadn't heard it before.
Some transitions were very well done, for instance Bizarre Love Triangle >Around the World.
It's not music I would listen normally, but that's why I like this thing, I'm discovering tracks I wouldn't otherwise come across.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:39 AM   #174
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
That is awesome man. What artists specifically? I know I got myself into quite a few new ones myself while trying to piece together the damn thing. Took me ages.
From yours:

Bloc Party, Frightened Rabbit and James

From GAF's:

Of Montreal, Okkervil River, and the songs "Lake Shore Drive" and "Going to California" (Yeah, somehow I'd never heard Going to California before that).
Old 07-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #175
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:46 AM
OK took me a while to get through the first set of playlists. First off I enjoyed them all immensely, good work so far folks.

The Tourist's was suitably epic start to the contest with the 40 songs it contained. The breadth of styles and genres was brilliant and certainly prevented me getting bored considering the number of songs. It covered the eras of music quite well too. Out of what was new to me I enjoyed Poor Moon and Ringo Deathstarr the most. My general view of the competition has always been about introducing people to new music or something they might want to reconsider and The Tourist's playlist has done this admirably. My main criticism is that it lacked a little bit of cohesion and maybe could have lost a few tracks but those are generally based on my own personal taste, I like Justin Timberlake but Suit and Tie just doesn't do it for me, plus I wasn't sure about Led Zep's placement.

Joey's playlist contained a lot of music I really love and it flowed excellently together, St Vincent and Danger mouse and Sparklehorse, along with Savages (good to see them get some keen followers outside the UK already). I also quite enjoyed the mini section of Porcupine Tree through to the Reznor/Atticus track. I'm not sure how much of a criticism this is since it was your intention but it was a bit too much one pace overall and while it made a pleasant and serene experience a bit more variation in tempo would have enhanced that experience for me.

Iron's playlist just contained some cool song choices like the Bizarre Love Triangle mix, Sun God, Rapture, absolutely love Shell of Light. A few tunes took me out of the groove though not entirely sure why though, but it was the few older tracks like Kiss and Enjoy the silence, though I love both artists I'm just not sure they meshed with the overall sound of the playlist.

I really enjoyed Niels' list the whole way through, good song selection that flowed quite well while introducing me to a few new artists like Trentemoller and Amatorski. Possibly my favourite playlist so far along with Gump's the first half of it especially which flows really well and is quite fun to listen to, it would make for a great night out. The second half I find a bit too one pace but I understand that is going with the theme you picked but I enjoyed it never-the-less.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #176
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:46 PM
Niels, I loved the downtempo groove of the first half of your list. I will echo others in complimenting the flow, which was superb throughout the first half and the first four tracks in particular. I sense there is quite a bit of overlap in our taste (I nearly used the same Burial track you picked) so there was a lot for me to enjoy here. For some reason I cannot bring myself to like anything from Blur - I still don't know why that is - but otherwise this list was hit after hit for me.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #177
The Male

You didn't like Battle? That is a surprise to me. Great song, really underrated Blur track.

Now.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #178
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:46 PM

Links?
Old 07-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #179
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
You didn't like Battle? That is a surprise to me. Great song, really underrated Blur track.
They just don't click with me. Neither does Gorrillaz. I really don't know why.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #180
Blue Crack Supplier

If you don't like The Good, The Bad, And The Queen either I'd say you have a case of the Damon Albarns.