Desert Island IX: Master List, Part One - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #136
The Male

Local Time: 11:29 AM
Other people like them but I don't really like them so they're GARBAGE

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #137
Blue Crack Distributor

I've never been able to get past that John Lennon thing, for whatever reason.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:55 AM   #138
Refugee

Local Time: 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
Beach house, lame impala, wild nothing, lotus plaza...at risk of being accused of a brau-style freak out, I'm starting to wonder if this is the thread for playlists of songs that people would be ok with listening to for the rest of their stranded on an island lives, or a rundown of favorite bands from 2012? Cos I'm seeing a striking resemblance to last year's best of lists, and it's not making me excited to listen to any of them.

That's not entirely true, there's plenty about them (tourist and iyup in particular) I'm interested in hearing and Joey apparently likes "right where it belongs" as much as I do.
I have a huge amount of new songs on my list. The oldest one is from 1999 I think and there are multiple songs on my list have only been released this year. This just happens to be the music I listen to and love and I'd be lying to myself if I put in an entry that is any different.

I think DI has gone beyond a 'what would you take with you on a desert island' comp. It's more a sharing and sampling of tastes, but not just that - it's about who can put together the most interesting puzzle using pieces of the music we love. It's cohesion and theme and sequencing.

That's how I feel anyway.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #139
Blue Crack Distributor

Mr. V, you are allowed to do whatever you want after DIV.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:01 AM   #140
45:33

Local Time: 06:29 AM
Also 2012 music is fresh on people's minds, so it's not surprising.

Lonerism is fucking glorious.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #141
War Child

Local Time: 02:29 PM
Well, I've definitely approached my list as more of "... the best music I can think of from the 1960s until now to fit into 2 hours" kinda thing.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #142
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:29 PM
Nah, I don't really think of this as stuff I would gladly be stuck listening to for the rest of my life, and I don't go about putting mine together as if that was the case anyway. This is pretty much using music that you enjoy to make something, either to tell a story or over-arching theme, where flow is pretty much considered the most important part. Thats why, despite the fact that on paper I'm seeing a lot of songs and bands I wish would go away, I do like seeing if the overall context changes my mind. It has in the past, it very well could for some of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Other people like them but I don't really like them so they're GARBAGE
Garbage is a whole other band entirely. I don't like them, either.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #143
Refugee

Local Time: 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Mr. V, you are allowed to do whatever you want after DIV.
That is like the best compliment you could ask for. It's been years. Thanks. I still listen to that list.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #144
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Glad you enjoyed!

Out of curiosity, was there anything by an artist you'd never heard/heard of before that grabbed you enough to want to listen to more by that artist?
While I knew a lot of bands on your list, I was unfamiliar with Abe Vigoda and Local Natives. Definitely have to check them out in the near future, especially the latter.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #145
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
Beach house, lame impala, wild nothing, lotus plaza...at risk of being accused of a brau-style freak out, I'm starting to wonder if this is the thread for playlists of songs that people would be ok with listening to for the rest of their stranded on an island lives, or a rundown of favorite bands from 2012? Cos I'm seeing a striking resemblance to last year's best of lists, and it's not making me excited to listen to any of them.

That's not entirely true, there's plenty about them (tourist and iyup in particular) I'm interested in hearing and Joey apparently likes "right where it belongs" as much as I do.
Oh man, you are going to HATE my list.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #146
Blue Crack Addict

I try to mix it up with what I'm digging right now [which usually happens to be newer releases], classic material that I absolutely love which falls into the confines of things that I haven't previously used of course, and stuff that I want to introduce others to [such as Poor Moon, Abe Vigoda, Stardeath and White Dwarfs, Ringo Deathstarr, etc.]. So yeah, my lists are usually going to be full of stuff I liked in the last two years or so, and albums like Lonerism and Fleet Foxes are probably my two favorites in the last decade. So yeah, they're gonna be represented.

The whole "Desert Island" thing goes away for me [a] when we can't use songs that've been previously used and [b] when people actively try to shorten the competition - because people would totally want to bring less music with them to a desert island they'd be stranded on for the rest of their lives.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #147
War Child

Local Time: 08:29 PM
So, I'm a bit late to the party but I've just listened to nielsgov playlist. Very strong playlist, there were a lot of things that I enjoyed, particularly towards the ending, but overall there was a very nice flow.
I think I might like dEUS, I've only listened to The Ideal Crash so far but I loved it. Any recommendations?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #148
Blue Crack Addict

Alright, just finished iYup's list. There was a lot to like about this list despite the fact that I'm not really a fan of the funk or trip-hop. Love that Animal Collective song, and that was a fun take on Bizarre Love Triangle. Also really dug The Knife and might have to listen to more of that. Neon Indian is always good, too. Classics like I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That and Enjoy The Silence were fun, too. A few of the tracks that I didn't really care for were those by Portishead, LCD Soundsystem (but I've never cared for them), and Cut Copy (which I just find to be way, way too long for how repetitive it is). The flow was pretty fantastic most of the way. Overall, to me, it mixed the fun/summer vibe of the first half with the icy/winter side of the second half very well. Very good list!

Next up will be Joey's list.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #149
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:29 PM
The song on the playlist is on In a Bar, Under the Sea. That's also my favorite album of theirs. If you like that one you should also check out Worst Case Scenario.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #150
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:29 PM
Thanks, Tourist. I listened to the first half of yours yesterday and am just now sitting down to the second. Part 1 was really a masterclass of sequencing. I was impressed with how you represented current indie-pop without it sounding monotonous. The second part as well was clever in how it showed influence across time and genre. I'm particularly thinking of the CCR-White Stripes-Rolling Stones sequence: you can hear the continuity of inspiration across those tracks. The one track that stood out as something I need to check out further was from Stardeath - I'll certainly be looking into them.