Desert Island IX: Master List, Part Four

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Last group, guys. Please listen, comment and enjoy.

Since this is the last group, what will follow is the submission deadline for your rankings. I require them in my inbox/email by 11:59 PM CST September 9th. The penalty for missing this deadline is to have your list dropped from the final rankings, so be sure to be punctual. You could probably convince me to push back the date by collectively missing it, removing everyone, but I implore you not to be dicks.

IWasBored

There was supposed to be artwork with this, but I couldn't find the picture I wanted to useand didn't feel like putting the effort into finding a similar, suitable one online and making it look like what I'd planned. So, no artwork.

There's a slight exaggeration here, I never actually quit drinking. But long gone are the nights that follow this trajectory. Starting with songs of brotherhood and the joy of going out and getting wasted melt far too quickly into violence, which then turns to self-loathing, and by the end, self-pity. These days I stick to a couple beers with breakfast after work rather than nights that go from the Ducky Boy's "I've got my Friends" to flirting with Metallica's "Fade to Black."

1. The Wretched Ones - Going Down the Bar - The Wretched Ones - 2:29
2. The Buisness - Guinness Boys - Hardcore Hooligan - 3:12
3. The Bruisers - Til the End - Cruisin' for a Bruisin' - 4:03
4. Hudson Falcons - Monahan's - Desperation and Revolution - 2:47
5. Forced Reality - 15 Pints and I'm Still Standing - Unheard, Unreleased, and Under the Boot - 3:22
6. Big Bad Bollocks - Guinness - Night on the Tiles - 1:07
7. Bouncing Souls - Manthem - How I Spent My Summer Vacation - 3:09
8. Barenaked Ladies - Alcohol - Stunt - 3:43
9. Reducers SF - A Few Rounds - Backing the Long Shot - 2:38
10. The Bones - Troublebound - Straight Ghetto Flush - 2:25
11. Roger Miret & the Disasters - Run Johnny Run - Roger Miret & the Disasters - 2:27
12. Blitz - Someone's Gonna Die - The Best of Blitz - 2:29
13. Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Don't Know How to Party - Don't Know How to Party - 3:15
14. Gang Green - Alcohol - Another Wasted Night - 2:12
15. Blood for Blood - All Fucked Up - Revenge on Society - 2:38
16. Rancid - The Bottle - Rancid - 2:05
17. Patriot - One for the Road - We the People - 2:55
18. Far From Finished - Lost in the Rain - East Side of Nowhere - 3:05
19. Social Distortion - Down Here (with the Rest of Us) - White Heat, White Light, White Trash - 4:20
20. Dropkick Murphys - This is Your Life - Blackout - 3:44
21. The Beltones - Set 'em up, Stevie - Cheap Trinkets - 2:53
22. Mark Lind & the Unloved - Sad Songs - Homeward Bound - 3:13
23. The National - Mr. November - Alligator - 3:57
24. The Who - How Many Friends - The Who by Numbers - 4:06
25. Nine Inch Nails - Right Where it Belongs - With Teeth - 5:05

Total run time: 1 hour, 17 minutes, 39 seconds

The Sad Punk

This is so unintentionally a very Hivey list, from the 00/10s heaviness to the complete lack of female artists - the latter was honestly intentional as an experiment to see if anyone would care or notice, and was also to challenge my own internal misogyny/self hate, but instead it just makes me look like a Brau-level dick. We all have our crosses to bear. The flow is probably all over the place but I was kind of inspired by galleries I've visited that have displayed artwork based on an overriding theme or feel rather than through medium or era. This all sounds so fucking pretentious, sorry. This is just a bunch of songs by other people. Anyway, here it is!! Happy Listening :hug:

WOWEE

cover_zps6d672646.jpg

1. Bonobo – “El Toro” – Black Sands (3:44)
2. Toro Y Moi – “Never Matter” – Anything in Return (4:19)
3. Max Tundra – “Which Song” – Parallax Error Beheads You (5:22)
4. Anamanaguchi – “Akira” – Endless Fantasy (3:31)
5. Neon Indian – “Arcade Blues” – Era Extraña (4:46)
6. El-P – “The Full Retard” – Cancer For Cure (3:40)
7. Killer Mike – “Reagan” – R.A.P Music (4:10)
8. Bobby Womack – “Everything’s Gonna Be Alright” – The Last Great Soul Man (7:05)
9. Girls – “Die” – Father, Son, Holy Ghost (4:52)
10. Led Zeppelin – “Ten Years Gone” – Physical Graffiti (6:33)
11. The National – “This Is The Last Time” – Trouble Will Find Me (4:45)
12. Gil Scott-Heron – “Me And The Devil” – I’m New Here (3:34)
13. Tame Impala – “Why Won’t They Talk To Me?” – Lonerism (4:46)
14. Deltron 3030 – “Time Keeps On Slipping” – Deltron 3030 (4:59)
15. Dälek –“Eyes To Form Shadows” – Absence (6:30)
16. Big K.R.I.T. – “Wake Up” – 4Eva N A Day (2:46)
17. Robert Glasper feat. Lupe Fiasco and Bilal – “Always Shine” – Black Radio (5:22)
18. Burial – “Raver” – Untrue (5:00)
19. Kanye West feat. Dwele – “Flashing Lights” – Graduation (3:58)
20. Cut Copy – “Strangers In The Wind” – In Ghost Colours (4:44)
21. Chromatics – “These Streets Will Never Look The Same” – Kill For Love (8:37)
22. James Blake – “The Wilhelm Scream” – James Blake (4:36)
23. The Flaming Lips – “Evil” – Embryonic (5:38)
24. Phosphorescent - “The Quotidian Beasts” – Muchacho (7:05)
25. The War On Drugs – “Brothers” – Slave Ambient (4:29)
26. David Bowie – “’Heroes’” – “Heroes” (6:10)

Total run time: 130:52

djerdap

bonoBIG_228x323.jpg

Disc 1 - Dreaming Jellyfish Extensively, Repeatedly

1. Let 3 - "Sam u vodi" - Živi kurac (9:06)
2. Majke - "Budi ponosan" - Razdor (6:40)
3. Laufer - "Mjesečev rog" - Pustinje (7:21)
4. Urban & 4 - "Nebo" - Otrovna kiša (6:31)
5. Noir Desir - "Des visages des figures" - Des visages des figures (5:15)
6. Sigur Ros - Popplagið - ( ) (11:45)

Disc 2 - Dreaming Antilopes Privately

1. Film - "Neprilagođen" - Novo!Novo!Novo! (3:37)
2. Ekatarina Velika - "Par godina za nas" - Samo par godina za nas (4:10)
3. Haustor - "Ena" - Bolero (3:55)
4. Amadou & Mariam - "Oh Amadou" - Folila (3:29)
5. Psihomodo Pop - "Frida" - Unpljugd (3:54)
6. Azra - "Užas je moja furka" - Sunčana strana ulice (3:17)
7. Partibrejkers - "Kraj mora" - Ledeno doba (5:35)
8. Električni orgazam - "Nebo" - Električni orgazam (4:35)
9. Pips, Chips & Videoclips - "Narko" - Bog (6:56)
10.The Beat Fleet - "Smak svita" - Galerija Tutnplok (6:24)

Total run time: 92:30

LMP

2me96q.jpg

YOU WANNA GET NUTS??

With this mix, I tried to create as comprehensive of a track list that encapsulates my current tastes as much as possible. It's equal parts loud, sprawling, bombastic, goofy, earnest, obtuse, silly as hell… but hopefully it's pleasurable for you all to listen to for 2 and a half hours of your time.

COME ON!!
1. Sleigh Bells - "Crown on the Ground" - Treats (3:49)
2. Pixies - "Bagboy" - Bagboy [Single] (4:53)
3. Weezer - "Tired of Sex" - Pinkerton (3:01)
4. Ramones - "Do You Wanna Dance?" - Rocket to Russia (1:56)
5. Death - "Where Do We Go from Here???" - …For the Whole World to See (3:50)
6. Connections - "Miller's Grove" - Private Airplane (1:46)
7. Guided by Voices - "Game of Pricks" - Alien Lanes (1:33)
8. Best Coast - "Crazy for You" - Crazy for You (1:50)
9. Pavement - "Cut Your Hair" - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (3:07)
10. Brazilian Girls - "Good Time" - New York City (3:47)
11. Disclosure - "Latch (ft. Sam Smith)" - Settle (4:17)
12. Prince & the Revolution - "Baby I'm a Star" - Purple Rain (4:25)
13. Clarence Carter - "Strokin'" - Messin' with My Mind (4:33)
14. The Avalanches - "Two Hearts in 3/4 Time" - Since I Left You (3:22)
15. J. Dilla - "The Diff-rence" - Donuts (1:53)
16. Kanye West - "Bound 2 (ft. Charlie Wilson)" - Yeezus (3:49)
17. Earl Sweatshirt - "Whoa (ft. Tyler, the Creator)" - Doris (3:23)
18. Kendrick Lamar - "Poetic Justice (ft. Drake)" - Good Kid M.A.A.D. City (5:00)
19. Wiz Khalifa - "Never Been" - Kush & OJ (3:34)
20. Aceyalone - "Headache and Woes" - All Balls Don't Bounce (3:58)
21. Sam Cooke - "Bring It on Home to Me" - Live at The Harlem Square, 1963 (5:42)
22. Chance the Rapper - "Chain Smoker" - Acid Rap (3:31)
23. Frank Ocean - "Pilot Jones" - channel ORANGE (3:04)

Running Time - 1:19:53

LET'S GET NUTS
24. Daft Punk - "Touch (ft. Paul Williams)" - Random Access Memories (8:17)
25. Roger Daltrey & Rick Wakeman - "Funeralities" - Lisztomania: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (3:54)
26. T. Rex - "Teenage Dream" - Zinc Alloy and the Hidden Riders of Tomorrow (5:46)
27. TV Girl - "I Wonder Who She's Kissing Now" - The Wild, The Innocent, The TV Shuffle (2:46)
28. Washed Out - "Feel It All Around" - Life of Leisure [EP] (3:16)
29. Bernard Herrmann - "Marnie" - Marnie: Original Motion Picture Score (3:54)
30. Björk - "Like Someone in Love" - Debut (4:38)
31. Yann Tiersen - "Dust Lane" - Dust Lane (5:11)
32. The National - "Secret Meeting" - Alligator (3:45)
33. The Crystals - "He's a Rebel" - He's a Rebel (2:24)
34. Hunx and His Punx - "Lover's Lane" - Too Young to Be in Love (3:35)
35. Talking Heads - "Wild Wild Life" - True Stories (3:40)
36. David Bowie - "Modern Love" - Let's Dance (3:58)
37. Big Star - "The Ballad of El Gordo" - #1 Record (4:21)
38. Scott Walker - "Black Sheep Boy" - Scott 2 (2:43)
39. Grizzly Bear - "A Simple Answer" - Shields (6:01)
40. Fiona Apple - "Hot Knife" - The Idler Wheel… (4:02)
41. Dusty Springfield - "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" - You Don't Have to Say You Love Me (2:50)
42. The Band - "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" - The Last Waltz: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (4:36)

Running Time - 1:19:28
Total Time - 2:39:21

Links are out, but Mr. V: your PM box is full. Clear that out or post your email and I'll hook you up.

Bonnie and djerdap should win for their cover art alone. Boy oh boy wowee.

I was entirely too amused by the playlists being named Come On and Let's Get Nuts.

I laughed out loud.

In accordance to the album cover of course, I kept up with my plan that not a single song from my playlist is in the English language. The material was smuggled into Internet/America by a secret cyber-operation, code name Red Hill. Caution is advised.

Liked your playlist djerdap. Easily the most interesting of them all. The first part was flawless. Loved every minute of it. I'm big on post-rock so that wasn't really a surprise. Untitled #8 is probably the only song everyone here knows and it was a great closer of part 1. Part 2 was also solid but a bit less to my liking . It got better towards the end though. The longer songs suited me more apparently. What language were most songs in?

I also liked the fact that your playlist was a bit shorter than most. That makes it easier to listen to. 160 minutes is too long for me in general.

Hey, thanks! Pretty cool to get a positive reaction, since I do think the different languages might put some people off (most are in Croatian and Serbian). This is why I made the playlist shorter, but I'm with you in that I lack the patience and the concentration in general for a 160-minute compilation.

LMP: You probably had the most eclectic list of all. You could see that as a positive or a negative and I'm not sure which it is for me. It's definitely cool how part one seamlessly goes from punk to hip-hop. Part one was one the most enjoyable sequences of the whole competition. There wasn't a song I truly disliked although I wasn't impressed by each hip-hop song. Strokin' was hilarious, I think I may love The Avalanches and Bagboy convinced me I need to listen to the Pixies. My favorite part was Two Hearts in 3/4 Time -> Whoa.

Part two was more hit and miss. The opening songs were a bit too cheesy. Touch does have some nice moments however. The first song that really impressed me was Dust Lane. Incidentally, I watched Amélie Poulain only a couple of days ago. Now I now Yann Tiersen has some other tricks up his sleeve as well. All the songs from then on up until Modern Love were really good and then it started getting inconsistent again. The Grizzly Bear track was good but I can't fathom Fiona Apple's appeal at all for instance. It was also nice to hear the original Black Sheep Boy (which I hadn't). I prefer Will Sheff's take I think but I'm as biased as can be.

LMP: You probably had the most eclectic list of all. You could see that as a positive or a negative and I'm not sure which it is for me. It's definitely cool how part one seamlessly goes from punk to hip-hop. Part one was one the most enjoyable sequences of the whole competition. There wasn't a song I truly disliked although I wasn't impressed by each hip-hop song. Strokin' was hilarious, I think I may love The Avalanches and Bagboy convinced me I need to listen to the Pixies. My favorite part was Two Hearts in 3/4 Time -> Whoa.

Part two was more hit and miss. The opening songs were a bit too cheesy. Touch does have some nice moments however. The first song that really impressed me was Dust Lane. Incidentally, I watched Amélie Poulain only a couple of days ago. Now I now Yann Tiersen has some other tricks up his sleeve as well. All the songs from then on up until Modern Love were really good and then it started getting inconsistent again. The Grizzly Bear track was good but I can't fathom Fiona Apple's appeal at all for instance. It was also nice to hear the original Black Sheep Boy (which I hadn't). I prefer Will Sheff's take I think but I'm as biased as can be.

Thank you! I do take the "eclectic" tag as a compliment. Glad that you found some new things to listen to out of all of that.

"Strokin'" should be the National Anthem.

So, how do we all feel about making Travis's 11:59PM September 9(tomorrow) deadline? I don't think I'll be able to finish everything by then. I certainly wouldn't ask for anything to be pushed back just for me, but if there enough other people who aren't going to be finished, then it might worth thinking about.

Somewhere between 5 and 8 left, I figured I just wasn't going to rank them.

Somewhere between 5 and 8 left, I figured I just wasn't going to rank them.

You have to, or your list is out. :shrug: Just judge based on what looks more appealing, if you have to.

I'm totally cool with pushing this back to the weekend.

That'd be great.

Not to start a post-mortem discussion so early, but I think there should be a shorter tracklisting limit. 90-100 min. lists were the easiest to digest.

We discussed that in the offseason last time and opinions were too split to make a change.

My opinion: time shouldn't be a forced restriction. It allows for greater variety if the participant can make that decision for themselves. Some lists should be longer than others, frankly. The more homogeneous, the shorter the length should be IMO.

I remember being part of that discussion. Hell, I'll make any list as closest to the limit as possible. The drop-off in commenting on each thread combined with the amount of participants speaks for itself, I think.

Consistent participation wasn't a problem with DI1-DI6, which had the same 160 minute time limit. The difference? Voting vs. ranking. Interest will always wane if it takes 3 months to wrap it up. This was the first DI to ever actively encourage the making of shorter lists, but the results were the same.

But you guys know I hate the ranking system. It was fun once or twice, but it puts no pressure on anyone to participate.

Consistent participation wasn't a problem with DI1-DI6, which had the same 160 minute time limit. The difference? Voting vs. ranking. Interest will always wane if it takes 3 months to wrap it up. This was the first DI to ever actively encourage the making of shorter lists, but the results were the same.

But you guys know I hate the ranking system. It was fun once or twice, but it puts no pressure on anyone to participate.

Agreed on the ranking system being a killjoy. Folks shouldn't be required to weigh in on every list; that being said, it's what makes the whole thing worthwhile, for me at least.

You have to, or your list is out. :shrug: Just judge based on what looks more appealing, if you have to.

I'm totally cool with pushing this back to the weekend.

If you change the deadline to Saturday, maybe I'll have gotten through the rest of them. But if not, I'll be just fine with you finding another last place. If we're all just ranking things we haven't listened to anyway, rankings are even dumber than I thought they were.

I remember being part of that discussion. Hell, I'll make any list as closest to the limit as possible. The drop-off in commenting on each thread combined with the amount of participants speaks for itself, I think.

Agreed on the ranking system being a killjoy. Folks shouldn't be required to weigh in on every list; that being said, it's what makes the whole thing worthwhile, for me at least.

My opinion, which I stated from the beginning:

We go back to a poll system, possibly returning to world cup style, I think that's a fairly good way of doing points and giving people time to listen to the lists as well. But, in order to participate, you must submit your name to whoever runs it first. This way, no one can just come in and vote in the polls for their friends, as was a problem before.

To alleviate that problem, as well, I still think we should have the lists submitted to the organizer and only the organizer knows whose list is whose.

I also have no problem with shorter playlist times, I feel bad for being one of the only people to use the full time limit this time around, but I don't regret it.

Ranking is so arbitrary once you get near the middle, I personally struggle to rank, but when you put two things up against each other, the decision is much simpler.

Shorter playlists are definitely easier to listen to! Nothing against long playlists but they do run the risk of not being heard by enough people, only because people simply may not have the time to devote 160 min to each and every participant.

Back
Top Bottom