Desert Island IX: Master List, Part Four - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:49 AM
Is there something I am doing wrong with the Rapidshare files? They are all saying that the archives are less than one megabyte. Anyone else have problems with that site?

Old 09-23-2013, 02:51 AM   #107
The Male

Local Time: 12:49 AM
Ashley is pushing to get her list in tonight, and when she does, I'll just need three more: Bonnie, Peef and Mr. V. Since I'm letting Ashley be a little late, I would be a dick to not allow the same room to everyone else. Just know that I'm going to start the results thread tomorrow afternoon/early evening.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:07 AM   #108
Blue Crack Distributor

IWB:

I don't know what else to say, except I hope you never stop being you. I'm going to take this playlist with me to the gym for the rest of forever. I think Far From Finished had my favorite song on here.

I like that I ended up actually knowing like 3 songs on this bad boy, too, lol. Surprised to say that one of them was NOT "How Many Friends", but that song was absolutely fantastic.

Bonnie:

Love this. Didn't expect less than something this groovy from you.

Was surprised by how well some of this flowed, too. Never Matter > Max Tundra was a little rough, but after that, it was all pretty smooth (There are moments that prove me wrong, but I've never been a stickler for flow, really, so I could almost care less. Not to say lists that flow don't have a great playlist quality to them…they DO). Wasn't expecting Neon Indian and El-P to gel as well as they did. Man, though, the beat and flow on that track are sick, but I am never going to like Reagan. What year does Killer Mike think it is?

I have heard soooo much about Bobby Womack, but never a note of his music...not what I was expecting at all. This is something I definitely need to hear more of. Also, Tame Impala track I like And hot damn, Dalek sounds like something that would be right up my alley.

From Dalek until about James Blake, I'd say, was one of my favorite sections in this whole DI and honestly, this is my favorite list of yours in any DI (not sure how many you've done, but I remember at LEAST one other one), so really, really, awesome stuff. Thank you so much for sharing , had the stupidest grin on my face listening to Brothers after Phosphorescent.

Djerdap:

Well, I managed to still know one song on this list, so I'm proud of that, I suppose. Really great music though. Urban & 4 sounded a lot like 90s U2, Let 3 reminded me of a heavier Nick Cave.
Also, I love how BIG a lot of these opening songs are. Film wasn't so much and the sound tapered off around Haustor, but before that, there was some really huge, cinematic stuff going on, loved it.

I see you even have a nice little 80sesque song on here, with Frida. Loved that one! Almost feels, towards the end here, like your list and IWBs almost should consider being friend. You know, just hanging out once in a while, whatever, it's cool.

I always appreciate having at least one or two lists like this in each DI, because, let's face it, sometimes people can be not so good about hearing music from countries outside of their own. So, thank you for this musical experience. Clearly there's a whole world of music out there to explore, I'm glad to have had a small taste here.

Jake:
First, and foremost, I'm so glad you're back . DI just isn't the same without you. Now then, to the music.

Really surprised you put Bagboy on here. Not that I dislike the song as much as some, but I'm surprised, with…all of the other songs in the universe…you went with that one.

For what it's worth, there isn't a lot of flow on this list, or the transitions, at least, are lacking, but all the same, I've felt a very fine thread holding things together pretty well. It's just a few random things, like Sam Cooke in the middle of what was a predominately Hip Hop section that kinda made me do a double-take. Transition into J Dilla, however, was dope as hell.

Of all of the songs I knew on Purple Rain before I heard the album, Baby I'm a Star has really been the only song that I didn't know that has stuck with me since then as a favorite. I was quite fond of that whole bit from Brazillian Girls > J Dilla.

Feel It All Around is a great song, by what is, really, a great band. Also, Wild Wild Life <3.

Jake, great list. It ends very strong. Probably not up there with your greatest, but those are mighty big shoes to fill and I'm guessing you do this more for fun now, than anything else, which is great. Incidentally, it's also exactly what this list was. Great stuff!
Old 09-23-2013, 04:14 AM   #109
Blue Crack Distributor

Oh, I forgot to mention...I'm not sure why I already knew the song "Strokin'", but I most certainly had not heard it in a long, long time. Thank you, Jake, for bringing that back into my life.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:36 AM   #110
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:49 AM
Thanks, 212er, definitely appreciate your comments. Now I feel bad for not doing write ups for most lists. Djerdap for instance has no idea that i even listened to his list, let alone ranked it very highly. I mean, I know I still [/i]can[/i] although I'm at work at the moment on my phone. But later, yes.

Glad you dug the FFF song, I friggin love that song, love the album it comes from, loved their second album, and hate what happened to them by the third. But there was definitely a time where in the narrow genre of Boston-area punk rock n roll, they were my favorite.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:37 AM   #111
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Is it safe to assume that not many folks in particular dug the hip-hop portion too much? Figured it going in, but am still curious to know for sure.
It was hit or miss for me. I just don't like Kendrick, for one. But, I think it probably was about even with songs I liked vs. songs I didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Phosphorescent, who is apparently an artist I need to hear more of. Absolutely loved this song.
YESsSsssss

Phosphorescent - "Ride On / Right On" - Pitchfork Music Festival 2013 - YouTube
Old 09-23-2013, 04:37 AM   #112
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
Thanks, 212er, definitely appreciate your comments. Now I feel bad for not doing write ups for most lists. Djerdap for instance has no idea that i even listened to his list, let alone ranked it very highly. I mean, I know I still [/i]can[/i] although I'm at work at the moment on my phone. But later, yes.
I would have felt horrible if I hadn't. It's just how I am. I don't expect everyone to do it, but I like the discussion the write-ups tend to bring.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:48 AM   #113
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post

I would have felt horrible if I hadn't. It's just how I am. I don't expect everyone to do it, but I like the discussion the write-ups tend to bring.
The last two I participated in, I made sure to do so. This time, I really slacked off and most of my comments were bitchfests about how tired I am of shoegazey type stuff/hate tame impala. Which is sort of lame, because even though it's just a silly game on the Internet, I've always taken playlist/mix tape making way more seriously than most normal people would, and playing a game of making such lists with equally abnormal people is one of the good things about this place. Not to get all mushy or anything. I don't expect my list to ever rank very high, but it is cool to hear when people enjoy things about it (or specifically what they enjoy about it) when I generally expect my favorite kinds of songs to go down like lead balloons. So I figure well, I'm sure everyone else wants to hear from as many people about what was liked on their lists...and I can hate on stuff pretty easily, but there's always a fair amount of music I hear from this place that I like way more than I dislike.

Although I guess if I can type a post that long on my phone, I really don't have any excuses. It took like 10 minutes though. Ugh.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:52 AM   #114
Blue Crack Distributor

Haha, I hear you, about the phone.

Really I love being able to share these playlists with you all. I've spent so much of my life making them, to actually have people to share them with is a treat feeling, and the feedback is a nice bonus.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:13 AM   #115
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:49 AM
Thanks a lot for the feedback! It's pretty cool some of you dig some of those songs, since those are the songs and bands that I grew up with (along with the usual suspects like U2, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Pixies, Alice in Chains, Radiohead, Depeche Mode, Sonic Youth and The Cure) and still belong to my favorites.

And I ranked your list pretty high as well IWR. But I'm a lazy fuck to do write-ups.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:15 AM   #116
Blue Crack Supplier

That was what I liked about doing a radio show when I was in college. Unfortunately after 3 and a half years it got to be a little more like work week after week, and then there was some bullshit politics involved that got me moved to a different time slot (and another incident where I got suspended for a couple weeks) and crap. But at times, that was a lot of fun when people like mofo and yertle and the randoooom crew and testje folks would stream it on the station's website. To this day, I would put money on that I am the only former umass dj to ever get a phone call from Singapore during their show.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #117
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Jake: First, and foremost, I'm so glad you're back . DI just isn't the same without you. Now then, to the music. Really surprised you put Bagboy on here. Not that I dislike the song as much as some, but I'm surprised, with…all of the other songs in the universe…you went with that one. For what it's worth, there isn't a lot of flow on this list, or the transitions, at least, are lacking, but all the same, I've felt a very fine thread holding things together pretty well. It's just a few random things, like Sam Cooke in the middle of what was a predominately Hip Hop section that kinda made me do a double-take. Transition into J Dilla, however, was dope as hell. Of all of the songs I knew on Purple Rain before I heard the album, Baby I'm a Star has really been the only song that I didn't know that has stuck with me since then as a favorite. I was quite fond of that whole bit from Brazillian Girls > J Dilla. Feel It All Around is a great song, by what is, really, a great band. Also, Wild Wild Life <3. Jake, great list. It ends very strong. Probably not up there with your greatest, but those are mighty big shoes to fill and I'm guessing you do this more for fun now, than anything else, which is great. Incidentally, it's also exactly what this list was. Great stuff!
Thanks for the kind words, Ash.

I mentioned earlier that I'm not too crazy about making specific lead-ins to every track. There are a few there and I do believe that each half is of a piece, but yeah, I see where you're coming from.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #118
Blue Crack Distributor

Transitions aren't a priority to me, as I'm sure i've mentioned before, because, outside of this competition...I ALWAYS use crossfade
Old 09-24-2013, 02:25 AM   #119
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Transitions aren't a priority to me, as I'm sure i've mentioned before, because, outside of this competition...I ALWAYS use crossfade
I used it around the time I made my first two lists, I believe. Hell, it's how radio sets are mixed who why not do it personally?
Old 09-24-2013, 03:18 AM   #120
Blue Crack Distributor

Crossfade could solve all of life's problems...I think.