Desert Island IX: Master List, Part Four

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got through listening to IWB's list.

Hm. Well this is just about exactly what I imagined it would be. Lots of punk bar piraty chorus drinking songs. But that made the flow work pretty darn well. Just some more weird transitions where some songs were quieter and one in particular sounded like it was recorded on Kevin McAllister's Talk Boy from down the street and then ripped from cassette. Anyway, the ending was my favorite part. Not because the playlist ended, but because I love Mr. November and really like How Many Friends and Right Where It Belongs. I thought the Barenaked Ladies song stuck out a bit and broke things up, so that was nice, although I'm not a fan of that band. Also I used to like Social Distortion a lot, so it was nice to hear a song by them.

And now I finally know what music you actually like. :wink:

Just finished djerdap's list.

There was only one artist I was familiar with going in and that was Sigur Ros. I love that album and that song. Simply fantastic. Overall though, I must say that this playlist really wasn't for me - I don't really listen to music that's lyrics aren't in English much. Sigur Ros is actually the only band on my iPod that I (rarely) listen to that isn't English. Mostly the flow and transitions were good, though flowing a live song into a studio song doesn't usually work too well for me personally. Anyway, I think this might be the first list I've ever heard with pretty much no English (except for the little bits on that last track). I applaud you for doing that, but again, it's just not my thing.

Two more lists to go! Bonnie and Ashley are my weekend homework!

Just finished up LMP's list. Well that was a lot of genre! The flow got a little wacky in parts and some of the transitions suffered from modern mastering vs. original cd release mastering, but the songs are the most important part anyway and there were quite a few fantastic selections here. Some of the things I need to check out that I hadn't before would be Best Coast, TV Girl, Daft Punk, and Guided By Voices. No idea how I don't know more Guided By Voices as the singer in my last band was obsessed with them. Stuff I knew already that were highlights would be the stuff by Sleigh Bells, Weezer, Kanye, Washed Out, The Crystals, and The National. Great to hear the Kanye on your list as Flashing Lights from one of your previous lists was the song that got me into him in the first place. And isn't that the whole point of this thing? Anyway, least favorite parts were the punk and local sounding lofi stuff near the beginning and I could have left behind Hunx and His Punx to Bowie. Probably sacrilege how many of the big names that most U2 fans on here like that I don't (David Bowie, Bruce Springsteen, REM, Talking Heads, Bjork, etc.), which seem to pop up all over the place in these lists. Ah well. Pretty strong list even if I didn't get along with some of it!

Appreciate the write-up! Funny, I thought you'd be down with the lo-fi tracks near the top. Glad that most of it worked for you.

Well pretty much nothing ever imports in order. That's why I tag everything. So you can just put it into a playlist and then sort by album. Takes about a second.

ETA: Just tried it, it took me 6 seconds. I stand corrected.

They stayed in the same discombobulated order when I did that as well. :shrug:

Just got through listening to IWB's list.

Hm. Well this is just about exactly what I imagined it would be. Lots of punk bar piraty chorus drinking songs. But that made the flow work pretty darn well. Just some more weird transitions where some songs were quieter and one in particular sounded like it was recorded on Kevin McAllister's Talk Boy from down the street and then ripped from cassette. Anyway, the ending was my favorite part. Not because the playlist ended, but because I love Mr. November and really like How Many Friends and Right Where It Belongs. I thought the Barenaked Ladies song stuck out a bit and broke things up, so that was nice, although I'm not a fan of that band. Also I used to like Social Distortion a lot, so it was nice to hear a song by them.

And now I finally know what music you actually like. :wink:

i'm going to guess that song was the gang green one (that sounded like the cassette rip). to my knowledge, it only exists in really shitty quality. i thought i pulled off throwing the random bnl amidst some stuff it didn't belong between quite well, but i really didn't expect it to work for everybody (or anybody, as the two of you who've commented on my list so far have actually been much nicer about it than i would also expect).

piratey, lol. that was the point, it's where if i were to translate the place my head is at in the beginning of a night at the bar to music, it's in that bro-y anthemic sing-a-long-y place, which then blurs into the angrier wanting to fight everyone, ultimately to the introspective/self-pity awfulness toward the end.

aka Pub Jamz. I forgot to say earlier that I gave your list a listen IWB and loved its fuck-all attitude.

Again - I don't use iTunes, the songs are labeled and numbered and if you put them in any kind of media player, they will play as they should. These are rare songs I've picked and it took me quite a bit of time to collect them all, so before you call other uploaders lazy, take note that some people have had the same problems you're complaining about with your playlist.

Just FYI, I just imported your playlist into winamp. It was not in any semblance of your order and still had tons of tagging issues. Just thought you should know. It did, however, come up in order with most everything tagged in windows media player.

But I mean really. Have you even gotten LMP's folder to open yet? :wink:

No, but that might have more to do with the fact that I didn't look at it again after the first issue I had, rather than the computer illiteracy you're implying here.

Just FYI, I just imported your playlist into winamp. It was not in any semblance of your order and still had tons of tagging issues. Just thought you should know. It did, however, come up in order with most everything tagged in windows media player.

I don't know how you use Winamp, but I have no idea how you manage to do this if the tracks are already numbered.

I don't know how you use Winamp, but I have no idea how you manage to do this if the tracks are already numbered.

The easiest thing is to export an .m3u file. What that does is save the contents of your playlist. If you package the file and songs in tandem, they should open in order in any music player. Does that sound correct, anyone else with .m3u experience?

Or, you could copy the files into a folder, rename them "Track 1," "Track 2," etc... for the order to be more apparent.

Also Tourist, your method of making one album actually makes it goofy in iTunes do to there being multiple artists. Next time, making the Album Artist "Various Artists" consolidates the searches immensely. Other lists would benefit from this; I mention yours since we're on the discussion of classification.

But really, the tracklisting provided with each list here does most of the work anyway.

LMP:

Listened to this last night. This was a tale of two discs for me.

The first disc didn't grab too much of my interest. There were a small handful of tracks - Guided By Voices, Best Coast, Brazilian Girls, Prince, Clarence Carter, and Sam Cooke - that I did like, all of which were new to me, so that's good. Flow and cohesiveness was good.

The second disc I really liked. That's a great Daft Punk track, the Roger Daltrey track is decidedly un-Who-like, but stirring nonetheless and a nice change of pace for him, the T-Rex track was catchy as hell(and I swear in this particular track, the vocalist couldn't sound more like Ziggy-era Bowie if he tried), Marnie was a beautiful piece of music, the Bjork track was gorgeous(she's someone I need to hear more of, she seems fascinating), and Yann Tieren was really pleasant to the ears. The National, Talking Heads, and Bowie are always good, after hearing 'The Ballad of El Goodo', I'm going to have to listen to more of Big Star, and then the finish was just really strong, with Grizzly Bear, Fiona, Dusty Springfield, and the Band. And pretty much all of these tracks were new to me, even though most of the artists weren't. Hardly a weak track on this second disc.

So, lots of good stuff, particularly on the second disc, and good flow as well, so good job.

You're not a big fan of Wiz Khalifa, nam? Just goofing with you, I appreciate the comments!

The easiest thing is to export an .m3u file. What that does is save the contents of your playlist. If you package the file and songs in tandem, they should open in order in any music player. Does that sound correct, anyone else with .m3u experience?

Or, you could copy the files into a folder, rename them "Track 1," "Track 2," etc... for the order to be more apparent.

Also Tourist, your method of making one album actually makes it goofy in iTunes do to there being multiple artists. Next time, making the Album Artist "Various Artists" consolidates the searches immensely. Other lists would benefit from this; I mention yours since we're on the discussion of classification.

But really, the tracklisting provided with each list here does most of the work anyway.

Yeah, if you were sorting by artist I could see that being a problem. I generally figured people would just dump the album into a playlist and then sort by album. Comes up in perfect order on the three computers with different iterations of iTunes that I've now tried it on. :shrug: Also about ten of the other lists worked this exact way for me as well.

Even by album view it's messy. Again, picking knits.

Here's what it looks like in my iTunes when sorting by album:

29fcr4i.png

I don't see how that's messy. Maybe it's different on a Mac...?

Here's what it looks like in my iTunes when sorting by album: I don't see how that's messy. Maybe it's different on a Mac...?

When you drop into Album view, it separates the album with its individual artists, whereas with "various artists" the album is all intact.

In basic song view it looks solid, like you posted.

Yeah I don't care for it either for that reason, though for whatever reason my iTunes loves making it the default view.

If you mark the whole thing as a compilation it should keep it together in all views, no? At least it does for me.

Well, I have eight rankings right now. We'll see where things are at by midnight. I don't want to cut out any participants if I can possibly avoid it, but there has to be some impetus for putting the lists together.

It would be GREAT if this could get done tomorrow because I don't have any classes and can dedicate lots of time to the rankings thread. I'll be sending out reminders this afternoon to help push things along.

Sounds good. I have two more to go (plus the writeups), but should be done by then. Thanks again for the patience.

Sounds good. I have two more to go (plus the writeups), but should be done by then. Thanks again for the patience.

Same.

I should be done with rankings submitted this afternoon. Listening to Bonnie's list now and still have Mr. V after that.

Back
Top Bottom