Depeche Mode

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaz02

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Depeche Mode are to release new studio album, ‘Sounds Of The Universe’ on April 20, 2009 on Mute.

Recorded in Santa Barbara and New York with Ben Hillier, the band returned to their pioneering electro roots, using a lot of vintage analogue synthesisers and drum machines. Lyrically the release contains many of the group’s enduring obsessions plus more overt black humour than any of their previous collections.

Like their 2005 studio album, ‘Playing The Angel’, ‘Sounds Of The Universe’ features writing credits for both Martin Gore, the group’s primary songwriter, and Dave Gahan who after honing his talents on two solo albums, has earned his place as Depeche Mode’s second writer. The release also marks a reunion between the band and producer Ben Hillier (Blur, Doves, Elbow), who worked with the band to help give their new album its timeless sound. The album contains the first single from the release, ‘Wrong’. Other standout tracks include Martin Gore's velvet-lined Scott Walker croon on the sensual lounge-music ballad ‘Jezebel’, to the sci-fi gospel-blues hymn ‘In Chains’ and ‘Hole To Feed’..

As one of the most influential bands of the post-punk era, with global sales in excess of 100 million, Depeche Mode belongs to a select premier league of super groups who have survived from the early 1980s with their ideals, creative vision and core members intact. Formed in 1981, Depeche Mode - Martin Gore, Dave Gahan and Andy 'Fletch' Fletcher - continue to win critical and commercial acclaim across the world both in the studio and on the road. All of the band’s 11 studio albums have reached the Top Ten in not only the UK and USA but 20 plus countries around the world. Additionally, since their inception Depeche Mode’s live shows continue to be a must-see attraction, with the group playing to 2.8 million people across 31 countries on their last tour alone.

Their ‘Tour Of The Universe’ kicks off in Tel Aviv, Israel, May 10th, which features a sold out date at London’s O2 Arena, May 30th. For more information please go to depeche mode dot com

--------------------------------------

Ive recently only just got into DM and im really enjoying to the lyrical content of a lot of their songs. Gore is an amazing songwriter and i cant wait for this new album.

Enjoy The Silence is probs my fav song by DM and live its a total killer.

Wow DM is still goin strong eh? I was a huge fan in 88-89.. saw them a few times on tour. Lots of good stuff. :up:

Playing the Angel had some really good songs on it, hopefully this one does as well.

I didn't even know anything about this.

My, how times have changed. I was a huge DM fan from about 91-98
<<<<obviously my username is severely dated.

I didn't even know anything about this.

:shame:

DM is one of my faves. I've seen them about 5 times from the 90's on, although their 80s output is far and away my favorite. I don't think even U2 can match the 1 - 2 - 3 pure greatness and high-quality conistency of Black Celebration, Music For The Masses and Violator. Those 3 albums together are almost an unbeatable feat for the mega-bands from the 80s.

Color me f***ing excited for this new album! :hyper:

Sweet! :) After U2 and Radiohead, Depeche Mode is my favorite band. I hope their new album is as good as Playing The Angel; I wasn't too thrilled with "Exciter."

Like their 2005 studio album, ‘Playing The Angel’, ‘Sounds Of The Universe’ features writing credits for both Martin Gore, the group’s primary songwriter, and Dave Gahan who after honing his talents on two solo albums, has earned his place as Depeche Mode’s second writer.

greaaaaaaaaat :doh:

If "Hourglass" is any indication, Dave's contributions should be quite solid. Let's hope that the quality of the album resembles "Playing the Angel" more than it does "Exciter."

Uhhh, Dave wrote the best song off Playing The Angel, 'Suffer Well' :drool: (and the only DM song ever to be nominated for a Grammy Award), so I say it's a good thing he's writing more songs for DM.
i think suffer well's okay, but the fact that he had to get a bunch of people to cowrite with him is kind of ehh. oh well. i'll reserve any judgement for when the album comes out. :)

i think suffer well's okay, but the fact that he had to get a bunch of people to cowrite with him is kind of ehh. oh well. i'll reserve any judgement for when the album comes out. :)
But I think comparing Dave's songwriting methods to Martin's is a little unfair, since most bands write their songs along with other band members. I mean, the fact that Martin has written the majority of DM songs by himself is kind of unusual. I wish Martin and Dave could write songs together. Now that would be interesting.

'Dream On' and 'I Feel Loved' were bloody awesome, i dont think Exciter gets enough love.:sad::heart:

I heard the entire "Catching Up With Depeche Mode" on the way here today.....wow, the memories that brought back.

'Dream On' and 'I Feel Loved' were bloody awesome, i dont think Exciter gets enough love.:sad::heart:

Great songs on that record, sure, but it's nothing special, as a whole. At least, that's how I feel. Definitely great songs, though. You didn't even bother naming all of them! More than a few gems, buried underneath all the excitement.

Exciter does have some great tracks, but they are counteracted by some dreadful ones - most notably "Breathe." That may be the weakest song that I have heard from them.

I have been lagging on the news, apparently. I didn't know about this. :reject:
Either way, excited! 2009 is the year for music, methinks.

Great songs on that record, sure, but it's nothing special, as a whole. At least, that's how I feel. Definitely great songs, though. You didn't even bother naming all of them! More than a few gems, buried underneath all the excitement.

Exciter doesn't live up to the hype of it's name, but it does have some really great songs. Another good one is "In The Dead Of Night" - I've always loved that song.

^^Above poster, I just had to comment on your avatar. I love Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree. :)

I think Exciter was kind of ruined by its production, but it does have a handful of great songs. My favorites are "I Am You" and "The Sweetest Condition".

Back
Top Bottom