Depeche Mode

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Black Celebration :drool:

I saw them during MFTM.. I think I still have my concert T :lol:

PTA is good - some really good tunes on there. I saw them on that tour and they were really good, depsite a few sniffles etc. they put on a great show. I got amph tix to this one, based on the last show - you'll be in for a treat wherever you are :up:

That is weird, does DM just do amphitheater shows or something? Last couple of times I saw them over the years have been at the same amphitheater as well. lol.. and are they all the same, seats in the front and lawn in the back? I've been to this venue MANY times before and unfortunately on the lawn you cant see shit (except video screens). So I hope those frickin DJ's gave me seat tix.

That is weird, does DM just do amphitheater shows or something? Last couple of times I saw them over the years have been at the same amphitheater as well. lol.. and are they all the same, seats in the front and lawn in the back? I've been to this venue MANY times before and unfortunately on the lawn you cant see shit (except video screens). So I hope those frickin DJ's gave me seat tix.

The last bunch of times they played at the Air Canada Centre (hockey/basketball arena). I was surprised that theyre playing the amphitheatre this time. From what i hear, Toronto is their second biggest North American market. The lawns arent so bad here though. I've seen a few different shows from them and havent had too much trouble seeing. Everyone seems to get really drunk on the lawns though

Black Celebration, Music for the Masses, 101, Violator..ALL awesome, but wheres the love for Songs of Faith and Devotion????

I lost them (DM) right before that. :reject:

My musical tastes went haywire after high school.. lost U2 for a while too :sigh:

aw, then you gotta listen to that and also Ultra (ultra takes too much shit from people, its really good). Songs of Faith and Devotion got me into DM around the time Achtung Baby got me into U2. The amount of awesome music I was introduced to in those days will never be matched :(

I've seen them several times, but their last performance where they literally all lip synced made me wonder if Dave can even pull it off anymore. His voice has been fading faster than Bono's(and Bono's has made a comeback), and I know bands often do more "canned" performances for TV but his vocals weren't even live, it's pretty bothersome...

I think the prerecorded track was only because it was the world premier of the song, so i guess they wanted people to hear it exactly as recorded first. I would've liked to see a live performance too though, so I was also somewhat disappointed. Its far from norm for them, so I'm not too concerned. As far as Dave's voice, technically, I would say hes a better singer now. He started taking vocal lessons in the past, i dunno, 8 years or so (?) and says he only recently 'found his voice'. either way, I'm with you, I prefer the less polished, but more powerful Dave of old

Black Celebration, Music for the Masses, 101, Violator..ALL awesome, but wheres the love for Songs of Faith and Devotion????

I have love for Ultra, but not so much for Faith & Devotion...Black Celebration, Music for the Masses, and Violator, however, are all superb. Halo / Waiting for the Night / Enjoy the Silence is about as strong a trio of songs as will be found anywhere.

. . . but wheres the love for Songs of Faith and Devotion????

:down:

SOFAD is a poor effort and definitely catches the band on the verge of all its crisis and splits. Most hardcore DM fans that I know who loved them from the 80s, SOFAD is their least favorite DM album, while to most hardcore fans who discovered them after Violator, SOFAD is their favorite album. Kind of like The Joshua Tree/Achtung Baby divide. I think subjectively a lot of times, a persons favorite album from an artist depends on when that person fell in love with that band/artist; those kinds of feelings and highs can greatly color a person's perceptions.

Really, for me, it's only the slower songs that are listenable on SOFAD: 'Condemnation', 'Judas' and 'Higher Love'. 'One Caress' is ok, but pretty generic, formulaic DM. 'I Feel You' is good, rockin', though I think 'Personal Jesus' was better. The rest of the album is just overblown and completely forgettable.

:down:

SOFAD is a poor effort and definitely catches the band on the verge of all its crisis and splits. Most hardcore DM fans that I know who loved them from the 80s, SOFAD is their least favorite DM album, while to most hardcore fans who discovered them after Violator, SOFAD is their favorite album. Kind of like The Joshua Tree/Achtung Baby divide. I think subjectively a lot of times, a persons favorite album from an artist depends on when that person fell in love with that band/artist; those kinds of feelings and highs can greatly color a person's perceptions.

Really, for me, it's only the slower songs that are listenable on SOFAD: 'Condemnation', 'Judas' and 'Higher Love'. 'One Caress' is ok, but pretty generic, formulaic DM. 'I Feel You' is good, rockin', though I think 'Personal Jesus' was better. The rest of the album is just overblown and completely forgettable.

*lip quivering*

"In Your Room" is one of the best singles of the '90s. Compositionally, production-/engineering-wise, music video-wise, in terms of the packaging...the whole deal. Untouchable. "Walking in My Shoes" is basically as good. All the singles from Songs of Faith and Devotion, in addition to something like "Judas," are maniacally perfect.

I've written at some length and with some embarrassing fervency about just how great a singles band DM is, and I would say that while it's far from the band's best album, Songs of Faith and Devotion indeed has their strongest, most eclectic, and timeliest/least-dated set of singles. Magnificent tunes. It hurts my soul to know that "Judas" never made it onto an A-side. That would've been one fucking hell of a run of five, off a single record.

I have a stupid question. Does Depeche Mode still not use real instruments? lol. I find it amazing that a band like this has been so successful for so many years, given that most people prefer music with actual guitar, drums, etc.

They use a mix. Martin plays guitar for pretty much every song live. Fletch is always on keyboards. They play with added musicians when theyre on tour too. An extra keyboardist and a drummer I believe

I have a stupid question. Does Depeche Mode still not use real instruments? lol. I find it amazing that a band like this has been so successful for so many years, given that most people prefer music with actual guitar, drums, etc.

Before Alan Wilder left the band after SOFAD, he played live drums on the Devotional Tour. At least since the Violator tour, Martin has played live guitar on at least some songs, and with the amount of live guitar increasing from tour to tour.

And if I'm not mistaken, Martin writes every DM song on an acoustic guitar and then the songs are fleshed out with electronic instruments in the studio.

"In Your Room" is one of the best singles of the '90s. Compositionally, production-/engineering-wise, music video-wise, in terms of the packaging...the whole deal. Untouchable. "Walking in My Shoes" is basically as good.

To each his own. You just listed two of the most boring DM songs in my opinion. I can't even listen to 'Walking In My Shoes', I hate it that much.

But, on the other hand: 'Judas', 'Condemnation' and 'Higher Love' = :drool: :drool: :drool:

Wait he's not in the band anymore? :confused: I thought I saw him in some promo pics.

If you're referring to a pic from the current album era, there is one floating around with Alan photoshopped into it. The last time he would have appeared in any promotional band photos would be 1994.

Oh shit that's right.. I completely forgot for a minute that there used to be 4 of them.

awww, so much sofad hate :depressed: the only album of theirs i can say i really despise is exciter. what a deceiving name for that album. :grumpy:

my favourite album of theirs would have to be black celebration though. second place would be either a broken frame or music for the masses.

Wait he's not in the band anymore?

I KNOW!

He was my favorite member! :sad: He was so hot and talented. He pretty much wrote, mixed and produced a LOT of their albums, but was never credited b/c Martin takes sole credit for all the songs. That was one of the reasons Alan eventually left the band; Dave's drug use being the other big reason.

Why couldn't it have been Fletch that left. He contributes nothing to writing the music and he's definitely the least talented of the bunch.

Alan come back!

Why couldn't it have been Fletch that left. He contributes nothing to writing the music and he's definitely the least talented of the bunch.
exactly :sigh: all fletch even does anymore live (from the dvds i've seen anyway) is mostly stand there and clap, maybe occasionally play a note on a keyboard. it definitely pisses me off to hear about how martin insisted on taking sole credit for songwriting, when alan played such a big role. i know he was the one to turn enjoy the silence into sounding how it was. that's the only example i can think of off the top of my head, but yeah.

once alan left, i felt the band's output has gotten worse. i'm not saying everything sucks, but i feel they've yet to release anything in the same league as when alan was in the band. cta-sofad, every album is a classic, no bad tracks. (well, except for black day, which doesn't really count.)

:shifty:

When you buy the Best of Depeche Mode Volume 1 on iTunes, they offer a 30 minute video that shows their beginnings, up to their last album a few years back.
In it, they talk about Fletch (He was my favorite as well) and what happened.
It's a great compilation and the video completes this package very well.
It's $25, but it includes all 24 videos for your iPod plus the video I am speaking about.
Check it out.

:hmm: i remember there being a video when i bought that (i got a physical copy, though). i can't remember if i ever watched it though :hmm: so i've no idea if it's the same. i should find my copy and check it out.

awww, so much sofad hate :depressed: the only album of theirs i can say i really despise is exciter. what a deceiving name for that album. :grumpy:
masses.

Man, youre right about the deceiving name, but there are some really quality slower tunes on there (Goodnight Lovers, Freelove, When the Body Speaks). Maybe if they named it something more fitting (relaxer???? :p ) people would be more forgiving

Back
Top Bottom