Depeche Mode

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I would have known that ahead of time I could have bought seat tickets when they went on sale. Oh well.

:scratch: But you don't even like the new album, Sicy!

That does suck though. :( As far as I'm concerned, if a radio station is giving out tickets as prizes to a contest, they should be for actual seats, not the fucking lawn. :down:

Uh, they're touring the album :huh:

I know taste is subjective and all, but 'painfully dull' is just not a realistic way to describe this album, at all.

I love these kinds of answers. "Music is subjective, but you're wrong." Makes me laugh. Still, glad to see somebody enjoying the album.

And I know they're touring the album. I just hope they keep the number of new tracks to a realistic minimum (say 5-6 tracks).

:scratch: But you don't even like the new album, Sicy!

That does suck though. :( As far as I'm concerned, if a radio station is giving out tickets as prizes to a contest, they should be for actual seats, not the fucking lawn. :down:

I've been a fan since I was 14 years old, and I'm 36 now. So because I dont like the new album yet, (there is still time for it to grow on me), I shouldn't go to the show? :confused: They have such a LARGE amount of songs that I do love, which I am looking forward to hearing.

And yes, I always thought that if you won tickets on the radio you should at least get decent seats. I mean, at the time I won them they hadn't even gone on SALE yet so I am very confused as to why they are handing out lawn tickets. :|

I love these kinds of answers. "Music is subjective, but you're wrong." Makes me laugh. Still, glad to see somebody enjoying the album.

And I know they're touring the album. I just hope they keep the number of new tracks to a realistic minimum (say 5-6 tracks).

I agree with you. I find it dull as well.

And since when does a band play every song off a new album? They have at least 2 HOURS of songs to play, there will be plenty of songs being played from past albums.

just curious, but how many times have you listened to the new album? If you dont like it, you dont like it, but it took me about 5 or 6 listens to really start to get a feel for the songs. You're obviously a fan, so it would be a shame for you to dismiss it after only a couple listens. Then again, maybe you've listened to it a lot and you just dont like it and thats okay too

just curious, but how many times have you listened to the new album? If you dont like it, you dont like it, but it took me about 5 or 6 listens to really start to get a feel for the songs. You're obviously a fan, so it would be a shame for you to dismiss it after only a couple listens. Then again, maybe you've listened to it a lot and you just dont like it and thats okay too

Well, who would know, a reasonable and well-argumented reply to someone who doesn't share his opinion. A rarity on Interference indeed. :up:

Yeah, I'll give it a couple of more listens as the concert draws near, but I sincerely doubt I'll change my opinion. Not my cup of tea, I guess. I'm being optimistic about the tour. Despite the woefully static setlists, they've always rocked live.

But 6 tracks would be what, half the album? Which is what most bands do when touring an album, was what I was saying. You're still going to get 14-18 other DM songs, so it's hardly something to worry about, and besides, you might find the songs grow on you live. Using U2 as an example, Elevation and Vertigo and likely Boots. ;)

Music is subjective to a point. I can find positive aspects in music that I don't even necessarily like, ie I can critically evaluate and rate it positively it on the basis of it being decent art, even if I don't like it. Hence my distrust of a such a wholesale dismissive opinion like "ATYCLB/HTDAAB/NLOTH sucks completely" or "I could barely get thru it, it was painfully dull". :shrug:

Okay. I'm eating crow. The album just went through that mysterious 'switch' into very good/great territory. That'll teach me to post prematurely. :doh:

Now on with the tour...:D

I agree, save a couple of songs. This, NLOTH and Cool Kidz "The Bake Sale" are getting major play from me right now. I know, weird threesome lol. And on all three albums, there are a couple of songs I skip.

I gave Exciter another listen the other day, and must say that it is a stronger album than I remember. "Dream On," "Shine," and "Freelove" are great tracks, even if "Breathe" is still dreadful. Though I have not heard the new album yet, it seems as though people are describing it as a gentle affair in the vein of Exciter - is this accurate?

I gave Exciter another listen the other day, and must say that it is a stronger album than I remember. "Dream On," "Shine," and "Freelove" are great tracks, even if "Breathe" is still dreadful. Though I have not heard the new album yet, it seems as though people are describing it as a gentle affair in the vein of Exciter - is this accurate?

Its comparable to Exciter in some senses, but the new one seems to have more attitude. Theres something about the new songs thats..i dunno...meatier (??) than most of what was on Exciter too. Theres a density and hints of darkness that I think makes Sounds of the Universe a much better album....would anyone else agree?

This is a shit hot album. Perfect is one of the best Depeche Mode songs i have heard.

I have to say, I hated it on the first few listens - really couldnt find anything good to say about it apart from "Wrong" which i've liked from day one...
Two weeks on, and just like every other Depeche Mode record I've ever listened to, it's suddenly clicked with me. How can they do this every time?! I'm even starting to think that it could be up their with their best...

I have to say, I hated it on the first few listens - really couldnt find anything good to say about it apart from "Wrong" which i've liked from day one...
Two weeks on, and just like every other Depeche Mode record I've ever listened to, it's suddenly clicked with me. How can they do this every time?! I'm even starting to think that it could be up their with their best...

Ha! I am the opposite...I skip Wrong sometimes :reject:

Upon first listen, I am incredibly impressed with this album. Gahan in particular sounds fantastic - there is a dexterity to his voice on this album that melds perfectly with almost every song.

Strange, but I loathed this album on first listen, and now i think it's better than Playing The Angel. For one thing, the production is ten times better. It's actually enjoyable to listen to, with the exception of Come Back, which worked much better in its stripped down version.

the tickets are through the 1iota website. But they are all sold out now. I was lucky to have a friend who is getting us in via VIP or I wouldn't be going.

Depeche were great :drool: , the 5 hours of completely squished waiting - not so much. :|

My friends w/ the tickets got in line about 11:00 a.m. My other friend and I got there around 3:00 just in time as the guy handing out wristbands was 2 people ahead of my friends who had waited all day. Markos and I literally ran from the Metrolink station to where our friends, Jen and Pam, were standing in line just to make it before the wristband guy checked in Jen and Pam and, since Fitz does not run, I almost passed out when I got there. :sick:

Then the waiting began. From 3:00 to around 4:45 they slowly corralled us into lines. Then at 4:45 they let us loose and we just ran for our spots, and there we stood under the slowly setting sun (hence my righteous sunburn today) for the next 4 1/2 hours.

Depeche came out and soundchecked 3 full versions of 'Wrong' and 1 full version of 'Personal Jesus', which they have mixed up a bit in a cool, live drums, way. Then they left the stage and I just stood and texted . . .

. . . and stood and texted . . .

. . . until about 8:20 when they came back out for the real deal and just COMPLETELY ROCKED Hollywood and Vine! :rockon:

Setlist:

Wrong (for broadcast on Jimmy Kimmel show)
Personal Jesus (for broadcast on Jimmy Kimmel show)
Walking In My Shoes (for fans only)
Come Back (for fans only)
Peace (for fans only)
Enjoy The Silence (for fans only)
Never Let Me Down Again (for fans only)

It was great, but I think Fitz's body may be getting too old to endure these kind of events where he's squished, standing in a hot mass for hours on end. Damn old age! :rant:

Back
Top Bottom