Depeche Mode - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter

Old 03-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #121
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicy View Post
I'm still stuck in the Music for the Masses, 101, Violator era..
Me too! Music For The Masses is my favorite album by them!

Black Celebration --> Music For The Masses --> Violator was the best Depeche Mode period evah!!!

Old 03-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #122
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Black Celebration

I saw them during MFTM.. I think I still have my concert T

Old 03-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #123
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny00774 View Post
PTA is good - some really good tunes on there. I saw them on that tour and they were really good, depsite a few sniffles etc. they put on a great show. I got amph tix to this one, based on the last show - you'll be in for a treat wherever you are
That is weird, does DM just do amphitheater shows or something? Last couple of times I saw them over the years have been at the same amphitheater as well. lol.. and are they all the same, seats in the front and lawn in the back? I've been to this venue MANY times before and unfortunately on the lawn you cant see shit (except video screens). So I hope those frickin DJ's gave me seat tix.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:55 PM   #124
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicy View Post
That is weird, does DM just do amphitheater shows or something? Last couple of times I saw them over the years have been at the same amphitheater as well. lol.. and are they all the same, seats in the front and lawn in the back? I've been to this venue MANY times before and unfortunately on the lawn you cant see shit (except video screens). So I hope those frickin DJ's gave me seat tix.
The last bunch of times they played at the Air Canada Centre (hockey/basketball arena). I was surprised that theyre playing the amphitheatre this time. From what i hear, Toronto is their second biggest North American market. The lawns arent so bad here though. I've seen a few different shows from them and havent had too much trouble seeing. Everyone seems to get really drunk on the lawns though
Old 03-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #125
ONE
love, blood, life

Black Celebration, Music for the Masses, 101, Violator..ALL awesome, but wheres the love for Songs of Faith and Devotion????
Old 03-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #126
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

I lost them (DM) right before that.

My musical tastes went haywire after high school.. lost U2 for a while too
Old 03-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #127
ONE
love, blood, life

aw, then you gotta listen to that and also Ultra (ultra takes too much shit from people, its really good). Songs of Faith and Devotion got me into DM around the time Achtung Baby got me into U2. The amount of awesome music I was introduced to in those days will never be matched
Old 03-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #128
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
I've seen them several times, but their last performance where they literally all lip synced made me wonder if Dave can even pull it off anymore. His voice has been fading faster than Bono's(and Bono's has made a comeback), and I know bands often do more "canned" performances for TV but his vocals weren't even live, it's pretty bothersome...
I think the prerecorded track was only because it was the world premier of the song, so i guess they wanted people to hear it exactly as recorded first. I would've liked to see a live performance too though, so I was also somewhat disappointed. Its far from norm for them, so I'm not too concerned. As far as Dave's voice, technically, I would say hes a better singer now. He started taking vocal lessons in the past, i dunno, 8 years or so (?) and says he only recently 'found his voice'. either way, I'm with you, I prefer the less polished, but more powerful Dave of old
Old 03-12-2009, 05:38 PM   #129
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Black Celebration, Music for the Masses, 101, Violator..ALL awesome, but wheres the love for Songs of Faith and Devotion????

I have love for Ultra, but not so much for Faith & Devotion...Black Celebration, Music for the Masses, and Violator, however, are all superb. Halo / Waiting for the Night / Enjoy the Silence is about as strong a trio of songs as will be found anywhere.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #130
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
I absolutely love Songs of Faith and Devotion. It is my favorite by them behind Violator.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #131
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
. . . but wheres the love for Songs of Faith and Devotion????

SOFAD is a poor effort and definitely catches the band on the verge of all its crisis and splits. Most hardcore DM fans that I know who loved them from the 80s, SOFAD is their least favorite DM album, while to most hardcore fans who discovered them after Violator, SOFAD is their favorite album. Kind of like The Joshua Tree/Achtung Baby divide. I think subjectively a lot of times, a persons favorite album from an artist depends on when that person fell in love with that band/artist; those kinds of feelings and highs can greatly color a person's perceptions.

Really, for me, it's only the slower songs that are listenable on SOFAD: 'Condemnation', 'Judas' and 'Higher Love'. 'One Caress' is ok, but pretty generic, formulaic DM. 'I Feel You' is good, rockin', though I think 'Personal Jesus' was better. The rest of the album is just overblown and completely forgettable.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:03 PM   #132
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzChivalry View Post

SOFAD is a poor effort and definitely catches the band on the verge of all its crisis and splits. Most hardcore DM fans that I know who loved them from the 80s, SOFAD is their least favorite DM album, while to most hardcore fans who discovered them after Violator, SOFAD is their favorite album. Kind of like The Joshua Tree/Achtung Baby divide. I think subjectively a lot of times, a persons favorite album from an artist depends on when that person fell in love with that band/artist; those kinds of feelings and highs can greatly color a person's perceptions.

Really, for me, it's only the slower songs that are listenable on SOFAD: 'Condemnation', 'Judas' and 'Higher Love'. 'One Caress' is ok, but pretty generic, formulaic DM. 'I Feel You' is good, rockin', though I think 'Personal Jesus' was better. The rest of the album is just overblown and completely forgettable.

*lip quivering*
Old 03-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #133
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:43 AM
"In Your Room" is one of the best singles of the '90s. Compositionally, production-/engineering-wise, music video-wise, in terms of the packaging...the whole deal. Untouchable. "Walking in My Shoes" is basically as good. All the singles from Songs of Faith and Devotion, in addition to something like "Judas," are maniacally perfect.

I've written at some length and with some embarrassing fervency about just how great a singles band DM is, and I would say that while it's far from the band's best album, Songs of Faith and Devotion indeed has their strongest, most eclectic, and timeliest/least-dated set of singles. Magnificent tunes. It hurts my soul to know that "Judas" never made it onto an A-side. That would've been one fucking hell of a run of five, off a single record.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #134
ONE
love, blood, life

Zephyr Mix!!!
Old 03-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #135
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

I have a stupid question. Does Depeche Mode still not use real instruments? lol. I find it amazing that a band like this has been so successful for so many years, given that most people prefer music with actual guitar, drums, etc.

Tags
depeche mode