Depeche Mode - Page 40 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter

Old 03-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #586
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzchivalry View Post
4 to 6 is growing "a little"?
twss

Old 03-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #587
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
twss

Old 03-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #588
Refugee

Local Time: 04:26 PM
Some good tunes here but it's a slog to get through. Definitely could have left out 2 or 3 songs. Violator only had 9 songs and SOFAD had 10. Less is more guys.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #589
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:26 PM
It's not perfect, but overall it is an impressive album. It doesn't seem painfully shoved into this decade and does have some classic DM tones throughout. Two of the songs I like after the first listen right now are Angel and Alone.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:07 PM   #590
Refugee

Local Time: 11:26 AM
Gave it another listen today. The second half (from Broken to Goodbye) is a pretty damn fine run of songs. The only track I really dislike is My Little Universe. Thirteen albums in, they still sound surprisingly fresh. This is easily an 8/10 album for me.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:38 AM   #591
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
Artistic innovation is primarily a young person's game. I don't really expect Depeche Mode, or U2 for that matter, to really push the pop music envelope anymore.

Agree with JT; that's how I might have started an English paper in ninth grade. It's right up there with "Webster's dictionary defines 'delta' as..."
1. Most likely true, but it also doesn't have to equal quality. There's nothing wrong with a finely crafted song in a well-worn style, just as long as there's something good there: lyrics, a badass hook, solo, or whatever floats your boat/the particular band in question does well.

2. Haha, no shit. Did they end the article with "in conclusion," too? Ouch.

I haven't listened to the new one, because I'm not cobbler. I've been listening to songs of faith and devotion pretty much nonstop, but it's still the only depeche mode album I've heard in its entirety. Kind of hate the lead track, and kind of love the rest of it.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #592
ONE
love, blood, life

You hate I Feel You???

That's one of my all time favourites. Might be the reason I'm such a big fan
Old 04-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #593
Refugee

Local Time: 04:26 PM
Hoo boy, The Child Inside is a bad song. But it reminds me of this a bit, so it's not a total loss

Old 04-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #594
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
You hate I Feel You???

That's one of my all time favourites. Might be the reason I'm such a big fan
Yeah, not really sure why. Some part of me must have instinctively known you love it or something.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #595
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bollox View Post
Hoo boy, The Child Inside is a bad song.
I find the album flows at a quicker pace sans "My Little Universe" and "The Child Inside". It helps clear up that lag in the middle. "Broken" could have probably also been left off, but its in my album playlist for now. You could throw bonus track "Always" in as a replacement.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #596
ONE
love, blood, life

Broken is in my top 3. It's got a nice Music for the Masses vibe going on
Old 04-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #597
Blue Crack Addict

Secret To The End and Soothe My Soul are the two best songs on here, by far.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:39 AM   #598
Blue Crack Supplier

Bumping this thread cos I can. And that way I'm talking to myself here rather than rmt.

Well, shit. Music for the masses is great.

Since I've listened to everything except for sounds of the universe, exciter (other than dream on, which apparently i've heard before an didnt know whose song it was) and some great reward, I figured I'd listen to the new one. I've already watched some live versions of a couple songs. Uh, broken is awesome--toss up between that and angel for my favorite--but otherwise, yeah, the middle does drag quite a bit. I do really enjoy the first three songs, and it ends on a strong enough note. Whoever said the child inside was dreadful was right. Not the best album I've ever heard, but certainly not terrible.

Actually, I think "suffer well" is the only track off playing the angel I've listened to more than once. But I've listened to it enough for the rest of the album...

Going to give it while longer before I start declaring songs of faith and devotion in my top 5 all- time favorite albums, since even though it came out 20 years ago, I've know it all of what, 20 days? But I could see that happening at some point.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #599
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
Bumping this thread cos I can. And that way I'm talking to myself here rather than rmt.

Well, shit. Music for the masses is great.

Since I've listened to everything except for sounds of the universe, exciter (other than dream on, which apparently i've heard before an didnt know whose song it was) and some great reward, I figured I'd listen to the new one. I've already watched some live versions of a couple songs. Uh, broken is awesome--toss up between that and angel for my favorite--but otherwise, yeah, the middle does drag quite a bit. I do really enjoy the first three songs, and it ends on a strong enough note. Whoever said the child inside was dreadful was right. Not the best album I've ever heard, but certainly not terrible.

Actually, I think "suffer well" is the only track off playing the angel I've listened to more than once. But I've listened to it enough for the rest of the album...

Going to give it while longer before I start declaring songs of faith and devotion in my top 5 all- time favorite albums, since even though it came out 20 years ago, I've know it all of what, 20 days? But I could see that happening at some point.
What about Black Celebration, Violator and Ultra? Any of those could break into your top 5?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #600
Blue Crack Supplier

I was reading through this thread, and I think I may have quite a bit more love for ultra than some folks out there. But really, I haven't spent enough time with any of these albums to assign lofty favorite distinctions. Shouter was right about the singles, holy shit is this a band with a killer track record in this department. Sadly, if I'd heard more of them in 'real time', I would have realized they were an excellent band years ago. Sadly, I'm pretty sure personal Jesus, people are people, and dream on are the only ones I've ever heard on the radio (no recollection of where I knew just can't get enough from). Some of that is my age, some of it is avoidance of radio stations likely to play depeche mode. But still. Wtf.

At this time, I do not like violator even remotely as much as songs of faith and devotion, ultra, or music for the masses. Opinions are highly subject to change, kind of like how a couple months ago I laughed about this band even still being around because I thought they only did cheesy poppy garbage.

Tags
depeche mode