Depeche Mode - Page 39 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter

Old 03-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #571
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:42 AM
I didn't say the album is anything unexpected. I just hate the way pitchfork writes. That's one of the worst opening sentences I've ever read

Old 03-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #572
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Artistic innovation is primarily a young person's game. I don't really expect Depeche Mode, or U2 for that matter, to really push the pop music envelope anymore.

Agree with JT; that's how I might have started an English paper in ninth grade. It's right up there with "Webster's dictionary defines 'delta' as..."

Old 03-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #573
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
Artistic innovation is primarily a young person's game. I don't really expect Depeche Mode, or U2 for that matter, to really push the pop music envelope anymore.

Agree with JT; that's how I might have started an English paper in ninth grade. It's right up there with "Webster's dictionary defines 'delta' as..."
Very true on the first bit and funny and true on the second hahaha

Also, where the hell is he getting the connection between Little Universe and Leave in Silence???
Old 03-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #574
Blue Crack Distributor

I listened to about half of it on Spotify this week, and didn't think much of it. Oh well.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #575
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I listened to about half of it on Spotify this week, and didn't think much of it. Oh well.
Turns out it's a bit of a grower, but even then, it's nothing that will blow your mind. There are a handful of songs that I genuinely enjoy listening to
Old 03-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #576
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:42 AM
As a big fan, I'm pleased with it. But it's certainly not going to win many converts. That said, I don't think the band really cares about that at this point in their career.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #577
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I didn't say the album is anything unexpected. I just hate the way pitchfork writes. That's one of the worst opening sentences I've ever read
Jive, my comment wasn't directed at you. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just read your post and then went and read the Pitchfork article (and agreed with that last paragraph).

I agree, and understand, that invention is a young artist's game. But aside from not pushing new ground, I just don't find their last few outputs even memorable. Even if the songs were safe, but catchy, like 'Barrel Of A Gun', 'Home', 'It's No Good', 'Suffer Well', I would be happy, but these last 2 albums have just had songs that slip right through my mind after hearing them.

Kind of like a certain Irish band I happen to love, I grew up with DM in the 80's and, for me, that's where my heart will always be as far as they're concerned.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #578
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzChivalry View Post

Jive, my comment wasn't directed at you. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just read your post and then went and read the Pitchfork article (and agreed with that last paragraph).

I agree, and understand, that invention is a young artist's game. But aside from not pushing new ground, I just don't find their last few outputs even memorable. Even if the songs were safe, but catchy, like 'Barrel Of A Gun', 'Home', 'It's No Good', 'Suffer Well', I would be happy, but these last 2 albums have just had songs that slip right through my mind after hearing them.

Kind of like a certain Irish band I happen to love, I grew up with DM in the 80's and, for me, that's where my heart will always be as far as they're concerned.
Barrel of a gun was anything but safe. Very bold 1st single and a real departure in terms of sound.

Every DM album till Playing the Angel had at least a classic DM song. The last two albums have none.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #579
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The new album has inspired me to go back and listen to their back catalog, some of which I literally haven't heard in 20 years.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #580
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzChivalry View Post
Oh, no, I know. I was more just adding to my original comment in light of what you had posted
Old 03-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #581
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenG180 View Post
Every DM album till Playing the Angel had at least a classic DM song. The last two albums have none.
I can't really agree with that. Wrong and Come Back are strong tunes even if they are not in the vein of what might be considered classic DM, i.e. Music for the Masses through Songs of Faith & Devotion. I'm digging Angel and Heaven from the new one quite a bit as well.

Granted, none of the four tracks I just mentioned are in the same league as something like Enjoy the Silence or Walking in My Shoes, but they're fine additions to the catalogue nonetheless.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #582
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post

I can't really agree with that. Wrong and Come Back are strong tunes even if they are not in the vein of what might be considered classic DM, i.e. Music for the Masses through Songs of Faith & Devotion. I'm digging Angel and Heaven from the new one quite a bit as well.

Granted, none of the four tracks I just mentioned are in the same league as something like Enjoy the Silence or Walking in My Shoes, but they're fine additions to the catalogue nonetheless.
I really like those songs plus Little Universe, Broken, Secret to the end and All that's mine. But i really don't think they are among their top 20 or even 30.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #583
Blue Crack Addict

Finally took my first listen through this. There were a few good songs, but if I had to sum up this album in one word, "lifeless" comes to mind.

Let's see if it grows on me.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #584
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Finally took my first listen through this. There were a few good songs, but if I had to sum up this album in one word, "lifeless" comes to mind.

Let's see if it grows on me.
It grows a little. I'd grade it as a 6 out of 10. At first listen, i gave it a 4.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #585
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

4 to 6 is growing "a little"?

Tags
depeche mode