Depeche Mode - Page 33 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter

Old 02-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #481
Refugee

Local Time: 05:13 AM
Very solid song. Good to see them playing instruments like a real band instead of a bunch of guys behind keyboards.

If U2 did something like this I'd be really impressed.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:46 AM   #482
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:13 PM
.....complaining about Depeche Mode playing keyboards????

Old 02-04-2013, 05:27 AM   #483
War Child

Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
.....complaining about Depeche Mode playing keyboards????
lol yea that's a funny one!

Btw, I've been listening to Violator again over the past few days and I just wanted to make a general comment. I still think that SOFAD is better! I never quite understood why Violator is considered their best. Sure, it has lovely production and atmosphere all round. But overall, I think the songs are stronger on SOFAD. And it has plenty of atmosphere too! Higher Love is as good a closer as Clean. What do you guys think?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #484
Refugee

I think Black Celebration is their best album, but that's just me.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #485
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCowley View Post
Very solid song. Good to see them playing instruments like a real band instead of a bunch of guys behind keyboards.
They've been doing this for about 20 years now.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #486
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMirrorSky View Post
Btw, I've been listening to Violator again over the past few days and I just wanted to make a general comment. I still think that SOFAD is better! I never quite understood why Violator is considered their best. Sure, it has lovely production and atmosphere all round. But overall, I think the songs are stronger on SOFAD. And it has plenty of atmosphere too! Higher Love is as good a closer as Clean. What do you guys think?

Honestly, I couldn't disagree with you more on this one, and think the exact opposite. My best friend and I have never understood why everyone likes SOFAD so much. It's probably my least favorite DM album from "Some Great Reward" through "Playing The Angel", and for me, on par with "Sounds Of The Universe".

And it's not just because of the shift in sound to harder, more guitar-oriented songs. I just don't think the songs themselves are very good. There are a couple exceptions, of course. I do love 'Condemnation', and 'Higher Love' and 'Judas' are good songs, but overall it feels undercooked to me and mostly boring and laborious. I'm not a fan of SOFAD at all.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #487
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:13 PM
Condemnation is one of my least favourite songs of theirs. Certainly the corniest. But I love Songs of Faith and Devotion - In Your Room (both the album and the single version) being a huge favourite.

I still prefer Violator, Music for the Masses and Ultra though.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #488
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:13 PM
"Walking In My Shoes" live is incredible.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #489
War Child

Walking In My Shoes is I think my #1 fav song of theirs. I'll admit that I prefer the single version of In Your Room to the album version, although I don't hate the album version.

The thing is, with Violator I sometimes find myself skipping Sweetest Perfection or the ending part of Enjoy The Silence, for example. On SOFAD, practically every song seems like gold to me. It could be the rockier approach that is appealing to me. Or just early 90s nostalgia!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #490
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Violator is one of my favorite albums ever. That stretch of Halo - Waiting for the Night - Enjoy the Silence alone would make it a great album.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #491
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Violator is one of my favorite albums ever. That stretch of Halo - Waiting for the Night - Enjoy the Silence alone would make it a great album.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #492
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm with you LMS, SOFAD is my favourite.

One thing I prefer about Violator is the band's image and videos at the time. They still had the sort of old Corbijn aesthetic of Music for the Masses (Enjoy the Silence might be one of my favourite music videos ever). There's an almost quaint quality to the work. While Corbijn was still playing a huge part, there was an obvious shift to a more modern feel when SOFAD came out. I still like it; I just prefer the look of Violator era
Old 02-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #493
War Child

Local Time: 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzChivalry View Post
Alan was my favorite member! I keep hoping he will return one day. I was very happy when, in '11, each member of DM went to see Alan's Recoil art instillation project/tour. Glad to see they've mended their friendship. Now Alan just needs to get back on the DM train!

Having said that, I do like "Ultra" a lot and "Exciter" wasn't bad, but not great either. PTA and SOTU, aside from a few good individual songs, never really stuck with me.
I was there at RAH when Alan Wilder joined them on stage for a song....magic moment

as for post Wilder material- I quite like Ultra, PTA is half a great album, SOTU and Exciter were terrible- on the basis of the 3 tracks we've heard so far I'm not optimistic about the new one either

I think they really underestimated his input (and still do) and what he did with the production
Old 02-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #494
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Waiting for the Night is stunning, I'll agree. It is one of the best on that album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I'm with you LMS, SOFAD is my favourite.

One thing I prefer about Violator is the band's image and videos at the time. They still had the sort of old Corbijn aesthetic of Music for the Masses (Enjoy the Silence might be one of my favourite music videos ever). There's an almost quaint quality to the work. While Corbijn was still playing a huge part, there was an obvious shift to a more modern feel when SOFAD came out. I still like it; I just prefer the look of Violator era
Yea I see what you're talking about.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:35 AM   #495
War Child

Local Time: 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMirrorSky View Post
lol yea that's a funny one!

I wholeheartedly agree. I feel that some of the songs are the best writing of Martin's career (WIMS, IYR, etc.) and I think Flood and Alan really outdid themselves with the deliciously lush and layered production. Of course there's a lot to be said for the clean and crisp production of Violator, but there's just something special about SOFAD for me. It also has this dark romanticism and dark sensuality that you don't really find on the other albums and I think that's unique. I think that whole period, while internally destructive for the band, was just incredible: the album, the visuals, the tour... just firing on all cylinders.

Tags
depeche mode