Depeche Mode

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I forgot to mention 101. A library was getting rid of all their cassettes and they happened to have 101 so I keep it in my car since that's my only cassette player. I actually like the live everything counts from the rose bowl better than the studio version. Maybe it's the energy.

101 is one of my all-time favorite albums.

Happy they're coming to Seattle - have never seen them. Time to rectify that.

I forgot to mention 101. A library was getting rid of all their cassettes and they happened to have 101 so I keep it in my car since that's my only cassette player. I actually like the live everything counts from the rose bowl better than the studio version. Maybe it's the energy.

Everything Counts is their Bad. The live version destroys the studio one.

101 is one of my all-time favorite albums.

Happy they're coming to Seattle - have never seen them. Time to rectify that.

Hopefully the new album is good because they are the best live band and it would be a shame if 1/3 of the show was mediocre.

not that this blosters the case for their current live greatness because it's from a generation ago but the performance of Never Let Me Down from 101 is my all-time favorite live performance. Well, maybe except for Stripped from Devotional. Or...anyway, it rules. When Dave goes to the edge of the stage around 3:30 in and gets the wheat wave going is beyond epic.

I don't care if I don't like the album. It's just time I saw them in concert! Will be happy with whatever of the old stuff they play. My only "will be sad if they don't play" tune is Never Let Me Down Again.

It's so funny, because many people's favourite versions of songs from bands, and Depeche Mode is no exception, generally firmly land in or around the time they were released, or are older rather than newer.

I've seen DM in both incarnations (old and new)...and while I adore the (rightly revered) Pasadena versions and earlier...I have to say...the best decision they ever made as a band live was Eigner on drums and Gore playing his guitar a lot more. They have a vibe that comes off the stage now that is INSANE, compared to back in the day when all they had was their synths. They are truly something to see now. I saw them in the 80s. Doesn't compare, and I'd love to be able to wax poetic about how great they were "back in the day"...but they're actually arguably better now, live.

It's so funny, because many people's favourite versions of songs from bands, and Depeche Mode is no exception, generally firmly land in or around the time they were released, or are older rather than newer.

I've seen DM in both incarnations (old and new)...and while I adore the (rightly revered) Pasadena versions and earlier...I have to say...the best decision they ever made as a band live was Eigner on drums and Gore playing his guitar a lot more. They have a vibe that comes off the stage now that is INSANE, compared to back in the day when all they had was their synths. They are truly something to see now. I saw them in the 80s. Doesn't compare, and I'd love to be able to wax poetic about how great they were "back in the day"...but they're actually arguably better now, live.

What year did they switch it up?

I think it was after the Devotional tour, though that featured Alan Wilder on drums a lot. I think that tour was the peak of the four-piece as a live group. It was a good time to switch it up.

I don't care if I don't like the album. It's just time I saw them in concert! Will be happy with whatever of the old stuff they play. My only "will be sad if they don't play" tune is Never Let Me Down Again.

Agreed, Never Let Me Down Again is their Streets. I'm hoping to see them live on this tour.

I am also hoping to see them live. They are opening the North America leg in Salt Lake.
The venue is an outdoor amphitheatre which seems a little odd for DM. I always imagined seeing them indoors.

Also, I am coming around to "Where's The Revolution". I'm excited to hear the rest of the album.

Why aren't you folks talking about the DM presale gimmick??

Ha I have a fb friend posting about it like every hour trying to get more people to sign up under him.

Last edited:
The venue is an outdoor amphitheatre which seems a little odd for DM. I always imagined seeing them indoors.

The last time I saw them it was at Molson Amphitheatre on a warm late summer's night and it was brilliant. First off because it was jam packed and I dunno it just felt very intimate. They are playing the ACC coming up and I'm actually a little nervous for them. The ACC can be a cold place if you don't sell it out. I hope they do!

Ha I have a fb friend posting about it like every hour trying to get more people to sign up under him.

Sounds like we have the same friend :wink:

I've seen them during and post the Alan Wilder era and much prefer that period to any of the live shows since then, on TOTU show I went to I wanted to rip the guitar from Martin Gores hands and smash it to bits just to get him off the bloody thing, back on the keyboard and stop turning all the songs into guitar white noise.

Depeche Mode are not a rock band, no matter how much Dave Gahan might wish they were, unfortunately the person who did all the pre- programmed sounds hasnt been in the band for the last 22 years, so don't expect it to change much

Last edited:
I wanted to rip the guitar from Martin Gores hands and smash it to bits just to get him off the bloody thing, back on the keyboard and stop turning all the songs into guitar white noise.
:up:

(that said, this tour might finally be the time i check them off my list of bands i need to see live, as i finally live in a city where they're gonna tour. of course it's on a freaking weeknight, but i can't complain too much. i start work at 9 am, not 5 am, and this city has a 2 am curfew so i know the show can't possibly go later than that. "live music capital of the world" my ass.)

Well I got completely locked out for MSG. Anyone have any luck today with ticket sales for NA?

Also, apparently the album leaked, according to Reddit.

What on earth are you talking about

On the TOTU tour they tried to be a rock band with endless wailing on guitars, it was pretty much unlistenable

Sorry wasn't very clear with my previous post!

Well I got completely locked out for MSG. Anyone have any luck today with ticket sales for NA?

Also, apparently the album leaked, according to Reddit.

Yes the album has leaked- solid effort in comparison to the other post Devotional albums

pretty much this

Maybe I need to listen again but I found it pretty boring. Not a great way to open a show.

The tail end of the album is where it's at, imo.

I agree about the tail end of the album. I do like the first two songs. I would say it is more listenable all the way through than delta machine or sounds of the universe. I listened to it at work and was impressed. BTW it is available from Amazon music for free with a prime membership.

On the TOTU tour they tried to be a rock band with endless wailing on guitars, it was pretty much unlistenable

Sorry wasn't very clear with my previous post!

Just catching up here, but I'm afraid not only were you not very clear, if by TOTU you mean Tour Of The Universe, it's just not even remotely an accurate assessment. Maybe watch it again as a refresher. The only place I felt the guitar was too "rock" was A Question of Time, with the power chords. Otherwise everywhere else was proper, he played guitar pretty much bang on according to where it should be..and he played keys several times on the songs that called for it. :shrug:

The new album is pretty dull, but I got to hear Never Let Me Down Again live. So I'm good. (and some of the boring new stuff was a lot less boring live)

Back
Top Bottom