Depeche Mode

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't say the album is anything unexpected. I just hate the way pitchfork writes. That's one of the worst opening sentences I've ever read

Artistic innovation is primarily a young person's game. I don't really expect Depeche Mode, or U2 for that matter, to really push the pop music envelope anymore.

Agree with JT; that's how I might have started an English paper in ninth grade. It's right up there with "Webster's dictionary defines 'delta' as..."

Artistic innovation is primarily a young person's game. I don't really expect Depeche Mode, or U2 for that matter, to really push the pop music envelope anymore.

Agree with JT; that's how I might have started an English paper in ninth grade. It's right up there with "Webster's dictionary defines 'delta' as..."

Very true on the first bit and funny and true on the second hahaha

Also, where the hell is he getting the connection between Little Universe and Leave in Silence???

I listened to about half of it on Spotify this week, and didn't think much of it. Oh well.

Turns out it's a bit of a grower, but even then, it's nothing that will blow your mind. There are a handful of songs that I genuinely enjoy listening to

As a big fan, I'm pleased with it. But it's certainly not going to win many converts. That said, I don't think the band really cares about that at this point in their career.

I didn't say the album is anything unexpected. I just hate the way pitchfork writes. That's one of the worst opening sentences I've ever read

Jive, my comment wasn't directed at you. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just read your post and then went and read the Pitchfork article (and agreed with that last paragraph).

I agree, and understand, that invention is a young artist's game. But aside from not pushing new ground, I just don't find their last few outputs even memorable. Even if the songs were safe, but catchy, like 'Barrel Of A Gun', 'Home', 'It's No Good', 'Suffer Well', I would be happy, but these last 2 albums have just had songs that slip right through my mind after hearing them.

Kind of like a certain Irish band I happen to love, I grew up with DM in the 80's and, for me, that's where my heart will always be as far as they're concerned.

Jive, my comment wasn't directed at you. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just read your post and then went and read the Pitchfork article (and agreed with that last paragraph).

I agree, and understand, that invention is a young artist's game. But aside from not pushing new ground, I just don't find their last few outputs even memorable. Even if the songs were safe, but catchy, like 'Barrel Of A Gun', 'Home', 'It's No Good', 'Suffer Well', I would be happy, but these last 2 albums have just had songs that slip right through my mind after hearing them.

Kind of like a certain Irish band I happen to love, I grew up with DM in the 80's and, for me, that's where my heart will always be as far as they're concerned.

Barrel of a gun was anything but safe. Very bold 1st single and a real departure in terms of sound.

Every DM album till Playing the Angel had at least a classic DM song. The last two albums have none.

Oh, no, I know. I was more just adding to my original comment in light of what you had posted :up:

Every DM album till Playing the Angel had at least a classic DM song. The last two albums have none.

I can't really agree with that. Wrong and Come Back are strong tunes even if they are not in the vein of what might be considered classic DM, i.e. Music for the Masses through Songs of Faith & Devotion. I'm digging Angel and Heaven from the new one quite a bit as well.

Granted, none of the four tracks I just mentioned are in the same league as something like Enjoy the Silence or Walking in My Shoes, but they're fine additions to the catalogue nonetheless.

I can't really agree with that. Wrong and Come Back are strong tunes even if they are not in the vein of what might be considered classic DM, i.e. Music for the Masses through Songs of Faith & Devotion. I'm digging Angel and Heaven from the new one quite a bit as well.

Granted, none of the four tracks I just mentioned are in the same league as something like Enjoy the Silence or Walking in My Shoes, but they're fine additions to the catalogue nonetheless.

I really like those songs plus Little Universe, Broken, Secret to the end and All that's mine. But i really don't think they are among their top 20 or even 30.

Finally took my first listen through this. There were a few good songs, but if I had to sum up this album in one word, "lifeless" comes to mind.

Let's see if it grows on me.

It grows a little. I'd grade it as a 6 out of 10. At first listen, i gave it a 4.

Some good tunes here but it's a slog to get through. Definitely could have left out 2 or 3 songs. Violator only had 9 songs and SOFAD had 10. Less is more guys.

It's not perfect, but overall it is an impressive album. It doesn't seem painfully shoved into this decade and does have some classic DM tones throughout. Two of the songs I like after the first listen right now are Angel and Alone.

Gave it another listen today. The second half (from Broken to Goodbye) is a pretty damn fine run of songs. The only track I really dislike is My Little Universe. Thirteen albums in, they still sound surprisingly fresh. This is easily an 8/10 album for me.

1. Most likely true, but it also doesn't have to equal quality. There's nothing wrong with a finely crafted song in a well-worn style, just as long as there's something good there: lyrics, a badass hook, solo, or whatever floats your boat/the particular band in question does well.

2. Haha, no shit. Did they end the article with "in conclusion," too? Ouch.

I haven't listened to the new one, because I'm not cobbler. I've been listening to songs of faith and devotion pretty much nonstop, but it's still the only depeche mode album I've heard in its entirety. Kind of hate the lead track, and kind of love the rest of it.

You hate I Feel You??? :ohmy:

That's one of my all time favourites. Might be the reason I'm such a big fan

Hoo boy, The Child Inside is a bad song. But it reminds me of this a bit, so it's not a total loss

tumblr_lls14bfhaN1qc8f5wo1_1280.jpg

Hoo boy, The Child Inside is a bad song.

I find the album flows at a quicker pace sans "My Little Universe" and "The Child Inside". It helps clear up that lag in the middle. "Broken" could have probably also been left off, but its in my album playlist for now. You could throw bonus track "Always" in as a replacement.

Bumping this thread cos I can. And that way I'm talking to myself here rather than rmt.

Well, shit. Music for the masses is great.

Since I've listened to everything except for sounds of the universe, exciter (other than dream on, which apparently i've heard before an didnt know whose song it was) and some great reward, I figured I'd listen to the new one. I've already watched some live versions of a couple songs. Uh, broken is awesome--toss up between that and angel for my favorite--but otherwise, yeah, the middle does drag quite a bit. I do really enjoy the first three songs, and it ends on a strong enough note. Whoever said the child inside was dreadful was right. Not the best album I've ever heard, but certainly not terrible.

Actually, I think "suffer well" is the only track off playing the angel I've listened to more than once. But I've listened to it enough for the rest of the album...

Going to give it while longer before I start declaring songs of faith and devotion in my top 5 all- time favorite albums, since even though it came out 20 years ago, I've know it all of what, 20 days? But I could see that happening at some point.

Bumping this thread cos I can. And that way I'm talking to myself here rather than rmt.

Well, shit. Music for the masses is great.

Since I've listened to everything except for sounds of the universe, exciter (other than dream on, which apparently i've heard before an didnt know whose song it was) and some great reward, I figured I'd listen to the new one. I've already watched some live versions of a couple songs. Uh, broken is awesome--toss up between that and angel for my favorite--but otherwise, yeah, the middle does drag quite a bit. I do really enjoy the first three songs, and it ends on a strong enough note. Whoever said the child inside was dreadful was right. Not the best album I've ever heard, but certainly not terrible.

Actually, I think "suffer well" is the only track off playing the angel I've listened to more than once. But I've listened to it enough for the rest of the album...

Going to give it while longer before I start declaring songs of faith and devotion in my top 5 all- time favorite albums, since even though it came out 20 years ago, I've know it all of what, 20 days? But I could see that happening at some point.

What about Black Celebration, Violator and Ultra? Any of those could break into your top 5?

I was reading through this thread, and I think I may have quite a bit more love for ultra than some folks out there. But really, I haven't spent enough time with any of these albums to assign lofty favorite distinctions. Shouter was right about the singles, holy shit is this a band with a killer track record in this department. Sadly, if I'd heard more of them in 'real time', I would have realized they were an excellent band years ago. Sadly, I'm pretty sure personal Jesus, people are people, and dream on are the only ones I've ever heard on the radio (no recollection of where I knew just can't get enough from). Some of that is my age, some of it is avoidance of radio stations likely to play depeche mode. But still. Wtf.

At this time, I do not like violator even remotely as much as songs of faith and devotion, ultra, or music for the masses. Opinions are highly subject to change, kind of like how a couple months ago I laughed about this band even still being around because I thought they only did cheesy poppy garbage.

Back
Top Bottom