Depeche Mode

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depeche Mode apologise to all their fans for this inconvenience and wish Dave a speedy recovery..

Well at least he apologizes... unlike MORRISSEY the pompous diva. :madspit:

I really hope Dave gets better soon.. sounds a little scary and I hope he makes a full recovery.

I cant believe how much this album has grown on me. I didn't like it much after the first couple listens, but now I would say its a better album from start to finish than Playing The Angel.

There will be announcement tomorrow (tuesday) or wednesday regarding dave's return to the tour. He has a doctor's appt tomorrow morning.

they found a tumor in his bladder but he should be fine. He will be onstage again in Leipzig on the 8th of June. Get well Dave, you rule! :up:

From blasphemous rumours to malignant tumours.

Roll on the 8th !

Alright, I've been reading through this thread for opinions on the new album and they seem to be overall positive despite a few negative ones. I was busy with stuff in my personal life and consequently missed all the release hype, leaks etc. Before jumping to buy it, I only have one question: Is it better and more consistent than Playing The Angel? Initially I liked that album but over time it has become a very mixed bag for me with mediocre stuff like Macro, Damaged People, Lilian and Darkest Star. Come to think of it, it is so top heavy! How is this one in comparison? Watched the Wrong video only once and though the song did not stick in my head, I'm secretly hoping that this album is dark, heavy and full of bass-heavy mechanized beats like Ultra. :drool:

The lyrics are very dark and musically its better than angel imo.

Before jumping to buy it, I only have one question: Is it better and more consistent than Playing The Angel? Initially I liked that album but over time it has become a very mixed bag for me with mediocre stuff like Macro, Damaged People, Lilian and Darkest Star. Come to think of it, it is so top heavy! How is this one in comparison? Watched the Wrong video only once and though the song did not stick in my head, I'm secretly hoping that this album is dark, heavy and full of bass-heavy mechanized beats like Ultra. :drool:

I would say that the cynicism in many of the lyrics is masked by upbeat rhythms and arrangements - "Fragile Tension" is a perfect example. The music itself is still textured but not nearly as dense as Ultra; many reviewers have astutely compared the sonic structure to their earlier work, especially the early singles. In my personal opinion it is their most consistent album since Violator, and certainly Dave's finest vocal album. His vocals imbue every song with a distinct character and interpretation of the lyrics. All things considered I would highly recommend it - it is the finest album I have yet heard this year.

On a related note, I was rather disgusted by the comments on the Rolling Stone article about Dave's surgery. The man just underwent a major operation and the "fans" are moaning that the band will not reimburse their travel costs to the canceled shows. The self-absorption is unbelievable.

So I caved and sold my 'free' lawn tickets that I won on the radio, and bought seats. :up: I would like to be able to see SOMETHING. I was just at this venue for another concert a couple of weeks ago on the lawn and I couldnt see a damn thing, just the video screen.

Anyone see DM yet on this tour? How is it? Set lists? I cant wait for tomorrow :hyper:

Three more days. :hyper: Shall I report to a setlist party during the show? heh

By the way I have a pair of tickets for the San Diego show this Friday that I need to unload. I forgot I had them (long story).

The setlist at Lollapalooza was fucking ridiculous, in a good way (and they actually cut the normal set short by two or three songs, from what I understand).

1. "In Chains"
2. "Wrong"
3. "Hole to Feed"
4. "Walking In My Shoes"
5. "It's No Good"
6. "A Question of Time"
7. "Precious"
8. "Fly on the Windscreen"
9. "Home"
10. "Come Back"
11. "Policy of Truth"
12. "In Your Room"
13. "I Feel You"
14. "Enjoy the Silence"
15. "Never Let Me Down Again"
(encore)
16. "Stripped"
17. "Personal Jesus"

Sadly, they cut "People Are People." Unacceptable. Also, as is always the case with a new DM tour, you should expect the most blatantly, embarrassingly, stupidly terrible visuals in the history of touring. Until, of course, their next tour. Wow. Shockingly bad. But, still--great songs, great performances, great fun. Wonderful show, even if it was a rip-off (due to its 95-minute run-time).

Cool. Maybe since it was Lollapalooza the set is a little different.

I cant see them not playing People are People here.

Well, I have not seen them in years, so I will be happy with whatever.

Saw them in 1987 and 1988 :love:

For what it's worth, you guys are right that they haven't always toured with a freakshow of bad ideas on display...but those days were long, long, long ago. Long ago. I'd kill to have been able to see them back in '88, that's for sure.

Hey guys, im going to see them in Dallas at the end of this month. First time ever!!

I have a couple of questions if you all dont mind, tickets say the show starts at 8:00 but there is NO supporting act listed on the tickets. Who are the opening act(s) for this tour? Also do you all know what time they normally take the stage? I ask because i have a 3-4 hour drive so i need to plan ahead that day. Also looking forward to setlist info.

thanks

peter bjorn and john or something, I dont know who that is.

they're an Indie/alternative band. they had an hit a couple years ago with their song 'Young Folks', the one where it starts off with fast, snappy drums and whistling. I loved the album that song came from, and the 2 singles from their new album, so I'm super excited to see them open for DM at the Hollywood Bowl. :hyper: :drool:

YouTube - Peter Bjorn And John - Young Folks

Back
Top Bottom