Deerhunter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
Hello team.

I hate to have to talk to you in this tone, but there's a real problem with your performance lately. It seems as though the band "Deerhunter" is hardly talked about here. They are one of the best things to happen to music in the last couple of years. Could you please respond to me ASAP as to why you are not discussing this band? Failure to reply with something positive about this band may result in disciplinary action up to possible termination.

Thank you.

If you took the best songs from the debut album, EP, Atlas Sound album, and the new double disc, you'd have one amazingly stellar album. Unfortunately, they decided to release 4 albums and an EP in a 2 year time period instead. I like them quite a bit, but even I think that's overkill and that they've released a good deal of samey type sounding tracks because of their inability to put anything on the cutting room floor.

They have a ton of potential and a number of stellar songs, but as of now I'd say they've been a wee bit over-hyped by Pitchfork.

I do think Micro Castle is far and away their best, and it'll probably make my year end at this point, if that's any consolation.

I always get these guys mixed up with Deerhoof...for the obvious reasons. I really like Deerhoof and have heard good things about Deerhunter. I will check them out. I also like the movie The Deer Hunter. Oh dear.

I have open in front of me last week's Entertainment Weekly, turned to the review of the new Deerhunter album.

I brought it over here so I could hunt down a sample or two of the album to see if I like it, as I am intrigued.

Intrigued, I say!

I have open in front of me last week's Entertainment Weekly, turned to the review of the new Deerhunter album.

I brought it over here so I could hunt down a sample or two of the album to see if I like it, as I am intrigued.

Intrigued, I say!

From it, I'd recommend 'Never Stops', 'Nothing Ever Happened', and 'Agoraphobia'.

Mikal, please tell me your favorite Deerhunter songs and / or album so I may listen to them this weekend. Thank you.

The entire Microcastle album and Fluorescent Grey EP.

Plus Octet and Strange Lights are my favorite from Cryptograms at the moment. I'm just getting into Weird Era too.

I dig them and all but the fawning in the review for Microcastle was a bit too much, and the last line of the review was a bit weird "At the very least, a reason not to slit our throats before President Palin decides to nuke the world in 2017." What does that have to do with anything?

The entire Microcastle album and Fluorescent Grey EP.

Plus Octet and Strange Lights are my favorite from Cryptograms at the moment. I'm just getting into Weird Era too.

Good choices. I listened to Microcastle again today, I think it most definitely will make my year end list. I'm liking it more and more with each listen, tripped out dreampop goodness. :up:

Other than the songs you mentioned, I also really like the title track from Cryptograms. That was the song that made me look into the band.

Good choices. I listened to Microcastle again today, I think it most definitely will make my year end list. I'm liking it more and more with each listen, tripped out dreampop goodness. :up:

Other than the songs you mentioned, I also really like the title track from Cryptograms. That was the song that made me look into the band.

Microcastle is solid gold. I don't think i've ever been addicted to an album this much.

i expect more talk about this band. get to it.

PS. surely we can talk less about the Killers and Coldplay.

We could talk less about a lot of bands...but them be our breaks...surely The Beatles at least have been discussed to death.

u2popmofo, you're on thin ice at this point.

...and also correct, re: this band. Some great songs on Microcastle, no doubt, but a good-enough-at-best record, all the same.

Call me closed-minded if you must, but I should also point out that when Cox started that poo-blog, I found it pretty hard even to try to take the band seriously, anymore. Ridiculous.

By the way, "River Card," from the Atlas Sound record, is probably my favorite of the Deerhunter posse tracks. I think that y'all should give it a spin, regardless of the poop.

...and also correct, re: this band. Some great songs on Microcastle, no doubt, but a good-enough-at-best record, all the same.

Call me closed-minded if you must, but I should also point out that when Cox started that poo-blog, I found it pretty hard even to try to take the band seriously, anymore. Ridiculous.

By the way, "River Card," from the Atlas Sound record, is probably my favorite of the Deerhunter posse tracks. I think that y'all should give it a spin, regardless of the poop.

you're fired.

I checked out the songs that were recommended to me on the other page.

I didn't like them.

Sorry, Mikal. Don't stone me.

Their music is far from being "immediate", and thus will probably turn off a lot of people checking them out based on good review scores. The lack of immediacy is probably the reason I previously said I wish they would have only released one album in the last 2 years instead of 4 and an EP, as I think a more concise or easily digestible album would do wonders for gaining them fans and more exposure. I still like all the releases, I'm just saying that they could have been huge right now if there was one album of their best work instead of 4+.

Could of, would of, should of. End of the day, even an edited album like that wouldn't be for everyone either, and they'd still only be a "big indie band" even with that, which isn't saying all that much. And I have no clue how they work, maybe if they spent too much time in the editing and reworking stages, they'd end up with far too overworked mediocrity that at the core should have been great (ala HTDAAB...)

Their music is far from being "immediate", and thus will probably turn off a lot of people checking them out based on good review scores. The lack of immediacy is probably the reason I previously said I wish they would have only released one album in the last 2 years instead of 4 and an EP, as I think a more concise or easily digestible album would do wonders for gaining them fans and more exposure. I still like all the releases, I'm just saying that they could have been huge right now if there was one album of their best work instead of 4+.

Could of, would of, should of. End of the day, even an edited album like that wouldn't be for everyone either, and they'd still only be a "big indie band" even with that, which isn't saying all that much. And I have no clue how they work, maybe if they spent too much time in the editing and reworking stages, they'd end up with far too overworked mediocrity that at the core should have been great (ala HTDAAB...)

in other words....they're great! :wink:

OK, I'll bite. Took a few plays to grow on me, but Microcastle is top 10 material for 2008. Weird Era Cont is pretty good so far, there's not a whole lot of substance to it, but I don't consider them to be the same album or anything. It's one of the better bonus discs I've heard in a while, if anything.

Back
Top Bottom