Deerhunter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just got around to listening to Halcyon Digest. The second half is way better than the first. That's about all I have for thoughts at this point.

It's a grower, but it started at like a 7/10 for me and has moved up to an 8 or 8.5. Still not as good as Microcastle, but better than most albums I've heard this year.

Probably the most underwhelming album of the year for mine.

That's harsh! :wink: I think that this album will place in my top three for the year. It continues to reveal more nuance on every listen. It also boasts at least three of the finest songs of the year: Earthquake, Desire Lines, and Helicopter. I love the balance of the ambiance and pop structures.

see i've heard a lot of albums this year, ones that will feature on a lot of your lists, but this is an example of an album that i could not remember a single thing about five minutes after listening to it. for me to listen to an album again, i have to either be totally captivated (like Cosmogramma) or i have to be able to recall a couple of the songs at least (like The Lady Killer).

Really? There are plenty of albums that I didn't like after the first listen and that I love now. This album was one of them. The only song that got me immediately was Earthquake. I even hated Helicopter at first but now it's one of my favourites.

I listen to every album at least twice, and those two occasions have to be on two different days. Give them a chance, I say.

Just listened to this again. It's dead even for me: I really enjoy half of it, and am incredibly bored by the other half. Sailing might be the most boring song I've heard this year.

Apparently they released some sort of live ep / album on iTunes. Have you stolen it yet, mikal?

I couldn't find a newer thread. There hasn't been any talk about Monomania yet?

It leaked!

I haven't even heard the new single. Cox releases way too much material.

Pitchfork gave it best new track, I think. It's not on Spotify yet, and I've been too lazy to look for it. I'll try to check it out later today.

It appears that Atease likes it quite a bit. I've seen posts like:

"PM me"

"You're a dick"

"You're mom likes the new album"

so that must mean it's really good. :drool:

I'm not sure if I even lasted a year posting on that site, people were such pretentious douchebags. I miss the much wider assortment of artists and types of music discussed though. I never would have learned about a number of groups I like had it not been for the short period I spent there.

Agreed. I visit about once per week and literally just look at threads with a lot of posts and figure it must be music to check out.

Yeah I read AtEase as well. It's great for discovering new bands (and links to leaked albums).

There is quite a discussion going on there right now because someone shared a link to Monomania while some other poster was only sending it via PM. :lol:

I like this album a lot already. It's more raw and rocking than any previous DH release.

I like this album a lot already. It's more raw and rocking than any previous DH release.

Can't wait to listen. I'm at work right now and have a sick wife and daughter at home, so I probably won't be able to listen until another 6-7 hours.

Listening to Microcastle for the billionth time, in preparation for the new album. Amazing stuff, as always.

Somehow I just noticed that Green Jacket is heartbreakingly beautiful.

Grooveshark picked up Monomania earlier than I expected.

Having a blast with this album so far. It sounds like nothing else the band has done, goofier and more garage rock than I would ever expect from them. The Missing is an incredible song that stands out as typical for Deerhunter, but there are a lot of fun, silly numbers that I like as well. Pensacola feels country in a raucous Crazy Horse kind of way, complete with stinging Neil Young-inspired guitar tone. I wouldn't be surprised if this album gets a cold reception because it feels throwaway, but I don't give a shit. It's awesome to hear Bradford Cox having fun, especially because I'm having fun too.

Good call LM. This is exactly the kind of album I wanted Deerhunter to make this time around. Kind of a gutsy effort considering the reception HD received.

But yeah, all and all its a fun listen. Oh, and The Missing :drool: prof that we need another Lotus Plaza album. :)

Back
Top Bottom