Death Cab For Cutie - Kintsugi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaisedByWolves

War Child
Tomorrow, Death Cab For Cutie returns with their eighth studio album called Kintsugi (which is a Japanese word for the art of fixing broken pottery with lacquer). Lead guitarist and founder Chris Walla has announced he is leaving the band so Kintsugi is an appropriate title in step with the Japanese philosophy of treating breakage and repair as a part of the history of the object (or band in this case), rather than something to disguise. The first single is called Black Sun and it is classic Death Cab For Cutie, quirky but musically lifts your spirits. I am personally sad to see the band breaking apart and will enjoy this final swan song greatly. Thank you for the many years of music.

Any fans of Death Cab For Cutie here in Bang And Clatter?

Death Cab for Cutie open up about 'Kintsugi' and conscious uncoupling with Chris Walla | EW.com

dcfc-kintsugi.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTbVIfqeDq0

I really did not like this album at all. Very dreary and overproduced. It's supposed to be a heartfelt record, but I can't even tell it's being played by humans (same problem I had with the last Coldplay record). I didn't like Codes and Keys either, but at least You Are a Tourist had a killer riff.

Before those albums, I liked Death Cab pretty well. Narrow Stairs was underrated.

They're pretty hit or miss for me, but I'll definitely give it a listen to see if I want to buy it.

I didn't care for Codes and Keys, either. Nothing memorable on it to my ears.

I will be seeing them in late April at a festival, I should probably listen to this. I don't think I can any song titles from their last several albums from memory.

Yowza, Popmatters' little review blurb is possibly one of the most unflattering summations of an album I've seen:

This isn't the sound of "indie rock", nor is it "dad rock". This is "obligation rock", a forced brand of music that exists just because it has to.

Yowza, Popmatters' little review blurb is possibly one of the most unflattering summations of an album I've seen:

This isn't the sound of "indie rock", nor is it "dad rock". This is "obligation rock", a forced brand of music that exists just because it has to.

Wow, that is a serious burn. :eek:

PopMatters has gotten even worse than Pitchfork in terms of mileage up its own ass.

Obligation rock sounds cooler than indie rock or dad rock.

I wish they'd shock everyone and sound like their first three records again.

little-known fact: Chris Walla left to lead a Dishwalla cover band

New album is better than I expected based off of reviews and comments. Def not memorable though.

I haven't seen them live in nearly a decade, but they were extremely good last night. Probably gonna buy the new album because of it. Suck on it, haterz!

I've only just started listening to this band. I've been obsessed with this song for the past week. The final verse has some beautiful lyrics.

Revisiting Kintsugi a year on - interesting how the snap reactions were so negative. This album settled into a nice place for me - somewhere alongside The Photo Album, behind only Plans, Narrow Stairs and Transatlanticism.

Last night I was reading a bit about Gibbard's break-up with Zooey Deschanel and gave the album a full listen through in that context. It has given it a huge bump in my eyes, and I think it's a real shame that so many reviews were based on some basic sonic understanding, rather than getting how freaking sad this record is.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I really should buy it. Saw them live last year at a radio festival and they were freaking fantastic, new material and the old.

Back
Top Bottom