DB's Hi-Rez Audio Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danny Boy

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-U
I'm sure no one cares, but I thought it may be nice to have a thread to discuss high resolution audio releases, whether downloads or on disc.

I will post periodic updates that nobody will read. :wave:

Random Access Memories should be available tomorrow on HDTracks. I expect it to be 24/88.2

Boards of Canada's new album, Tomorrow's Harvest, will be released in 24-bit WAV on Bleep.com.

R.E.M.'s Green reissue is available in 24/96 and 24/192, but is way overpriced. No thank you.

I'm admittedly completely ignorant to the values of these types of files or discs versus a typical CD. Please enlighten me.

Most digital music is encoded using pulse code modulation. The analog waveform's amplitude is sampled at regular intervals.

The two numbers refer to the frequency at which the waveform is sampled and the bit depth of each sample. The larger the bit depth, the more accurately each sample represents the true value of the amplitude and the larger the available dynamic range (difference between the loudest and quietest possible sound)

The CD standard is 16 bit, 44.1 kHz, so the amplitude is sampled 44,100 times per second and each sample is 16 bits, so there are 2^16 possible values.

The audio on a standard DVD and DAT is 16 bit, 48 kHz.

Most high resolution audio is usually one of a few combinations of sampling frequency and bit depth

24 bit, 44.1 kHz
24 bit, 48 kHz
24 bit, 88.2 kHs
24 bit, 96 kHz
24 bit, 192 kHz

24/96 is often used for studio masters these days.

SACD uses a technology called pulse density modulation that is beyond my understanding.

I think there are several R.E.M. albums that are available to download this way, not just Green. Also, The Jesus And Mary Chain (now out of print) DualDisc reissues from 2006 have 24/96 audio on them.

Most digital music is encoded using pulse code modulation. The analog waveform's amplitude is sampled at regular intervals.

The two numbers refer to the frequency at which the waveform is sampled and the bit depth of each sample. The larger the bit depth, the more accurately each sample represents the true value of the amplitude and the larger the available dynamic range (difference between the loudest and quietest possible sound)

The CD standard is 16 bit, 44.1 kHz, so the amplitude is sampled 44,100 times per second and each sample is 16 bits, so there are 2^16 possible values.

The audio on a standard DVD and DAT is 16 bit, 48 kHz.

Most high resolution audio is usually one of a few combinations of sampling frequency and bit depth

24 bit, 44.1 kHz
24 bit, 48 kHz
24 bit, 88.2 kHs
24 bit, 96 kHz
24 bit, 192 kHz

24/96 is often used for studio masters these days.

SACD uses a technology called pulse density modulation that is beyond my understanding.

How noticeable is the difference, and what is required to notice (high volumes, audiophile equipment, etc.)?

The minimum sampling frequency required to represent a signal is twice the maximum frequency of the signal. Since human hearing extends only to 20 kHz and declines with age, 44.1 kHz should be plenty with some headroom. There are plenty of theories as to why higher sampling frequencies should sound better, mostly dealing with the sharp rolloff of digital filters, but it's a controversial area.

24-bit is capable of more dynamic range and detail compared to 16-bit. There should be less distortion in louder passages. Using just my outboard DAC and Audio Technica headphones, I'm pretty sure I can hear the difference. TKOL is an example of albums I own in both formats, and the 24-bit sounds fuller to my ears. I've never actually submitted myself to blind testing, though.

I think there are several R.E.M. albums that are available to download this way, not just Green. Also, The Jesus And Mary Chain (now out of print) DualDisc reissues from 2006 have 24/96 audio on them.

Yeah, a lot of R.E.M.'s catalog was available on DVD Audio a few years back. The high res downloads are mostly rips of these DVD-A's. I bought Document in that format, but it was too expensive to replace my whole collection.

Just admit you like 24 bit for the same reason I run dual graphics cards on my computer. Not because my eyes can detect any gameplay difference in the picture, but because I fucking can.

I'm beginning to doubt your commitment to DVDA.

It gets expensive. Everything in moderation.

Fucking nerds!

Guilty. Have I mentioned my degree is in electrical engineering?

Just admit you like 24 bit for the same reason I run dual graphics cards on my computer. Not because my eyes can detect any gameplay difference in the picture, but because I fucking can.

I admit nothing.

daftpunk2488_zpsd455fb9c.png

:up:

It's worth it, particularly for #1 Record, which is an audiophile album for sure. Believe it or not, it was state of the art at the time; their recording studio was stacked.

I just got the Beatles Stereo USB Apple. It contains all 13 studio albums plus Past Masters in 24-bit, 44.1 kHz. Allegedly this is audio straight from the studio masters. I never had upgraded to the remastered CD versions, so I'm glad I held out for this. Haven't actually listened to anything yet. The files are in FLAC and I'm converting them to ALAC so I can play them in iTunes.

The apple itself is much smaller than I was expecting. I thought it would be the size of a small apple, but it's more like a crabapple. Here it is with my R2-D2 USB drive (and a regular USB drive) for scale.

photo_zps09d955b3.jpg

Look's like R.E.M.'s Chronic Town EP has been re-released in hi-rez with little fanfare or detail. It's available from Acoustic Sounds in 24/96 PCM and DSD (basically SACD in a downloadable file format.)

REM-Chronic Town-FLAC 96kHz24bit Download | Acoustic Sounds
REM-Chronic Town-DSD | Acoustic Sounds

I'm guessing this is the same master they used for the 2010 vinyl release, but they really didn't provide any info. Sounds a little more dynamic to me than the tracks on the Dead Letter Office CD, so I think it must have been remastered.

XUNI94898D64__97250__04212014123212-2506.jpg

I was just going to listen to the Chronic Town songs off of Dead Letter Office a couple days ago. I didn't though.

What is the point of this story? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Maybe it's a great deal on paper, but it's still Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. :down:

I despise ELP and I love prog. I can't imagine how everyone else must feel.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom