Davy Jones -- RIP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indra

ONE love, blood, life
This makes me so sad. I loved the Monkees. Still do....

Davy Jones, the lead singer of The Monkees, died this morning after suffering a heart attack in Indiantown, Fla., his representative confirmed to ABC News. He was 66.

The Martin County, Fla. medical examiner’s office will be conducting an investigation into Jones’ death but said in statement that “there do not appear to be any suspicious circumstances” surrounding it.

Jones is survived by his wife, Jessica, and four daughters from previous marriages.

The British born Jones joined The Monkees in 1966 and contributed to a stable of rock hits, including “Daydream Believer” and “I’m a Believer.” The band was formed as part of a TV series about a rock band also called “The Monkees.” The show got canceled in 1968; the group, which included Micky Dolenz, Peter Tork, and Michael Nesmith, broke up two years later.

They reunited in various incarnations, most recently last spring for a tour through England and America. A second leg of the tour was slated for fall 2011 but the dates were axed without explanation in August.

Jones dabbled in film and television as well. He memorably appeared in a 1971 episode of “The Brady Bunch” in which Marcia Brady convinces him to perform at her high school prom. He also did a cameo in the 1995 “Brady Bunch Movie.”

link

I am very bummed. The Monkees were my first concert, on their big comeback tour in the '80s. My mom took me to see them at the WI State Fair.

Davy was never my favorite, and most of my favorite Monkees tunes were sung by Mickey, but they wouldn't have been The Monkees without the teeniest Monkee with stars in his eyes. :(

Michael Nesmith posted this on his FB page:

All the lovely people. Where do they all come from?

So many lovely and heartfelt messages of condolence and sympathy, I don’t know what to say, except my sincere thank you to all. I share and appreciate your feelings.

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves here.

While it is jarring, and sometimes seems unjust, or strange, this transition we call dying and death is a constant in the mortal experience that we know almost nothing about. I am of the mind that it is a transition and I carry with me a certainty of the continuity of existence. While I don’t exactly know what happens in these times, there is an ongoing sense of life that reaches in my mind out far beyond the near horizons of mortality and into the reaches of infinity.

That David has stepped beyond my view causes me the sadness that it does many of you. I will miss him, but I won’t abandon him to mortality. I will think of him as existing within the animating life that insures existence. I will think of him and his family with that gentle regard in spite of all the contrary appearances on the mortal plane.

David’s spirit and soul live well in my heart, among all the lovely people, who remember with me the good times, and the healing times, that were created for so many, including us.

I have fond memories. I wish him safe travels.

His mom invented Wite-Out. No foolin'.

(Is it White-Out? I don't remember what the official spelling of the brand name is.)

His mom invented Wite-Out. No foolin'.

(Is it White-Out? I don't remember what the official spelling of the brand name is.)

Actually she invented Liquid Paper -- same thing, different name.
Helped me write all those college papers just the same....

Wikipedia link

I don't know shit about the Monkees, really, but this is a serious bummer. My condolences to their ridiculously huge fanbase. Maybe I'll listen to an album of theirs later.

That's when I "discovered" them. :up:

I remember watching reruns of The Monkees in the 70's, but when they had their reunion in '86, they were showing Monkees' reruns on almost every syndicated channel. I think MTV was even playing them. I can't believe that was over 25 years ago.

Then of course, U2 performed Daydream Believer during PopMart.

Well, less "performed" more "Edge doing karaoke while the band had offstage shenanigans." But yes!

I remember watching reruns of The Monkees in the 70's, but when they had their reunion in '86, they were showing Monkees' reruns on almost every syndicated channel. I think MTV was even playing them. I can't believe that was over 25 years ago.

Then of course, U2 performed Daydream Believer during PopMart.

Davy even joined them in L.A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9m-hkvFDLk

Also, I'm totally willing to say that Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd is a very good album.

Back
Top Bottom