David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shipping confirmation finally received for my LP of Blackstar :hyper:

Sent from my XT1575 using U2 Interference mobile app

Shipping confirmation finally received for my LP of Blackstar :hyper:

Same. Lol. Took me forever to finally order it. None of the stores in my town carried the album, I was super disappointed. Yet, I've found super obscure albums in their clearance bin like the Discotheque, Last Night On Earth, Real Thing and a bunch of other U2 singles. Why they wouldn't carry the Bowie album is beyond me.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It sold out the first printing. Nobody expected it to sell as many copies as it did. Why would they?

I'm kicking myself for not pre-ordering it. It was on my list and for whatever reason I just didn't follow through. I think I was balking at the price at the time.

This article appeared on the Grantland site, which was shut down by ESPN a few months back. It's an e-mail exchange between two writers preparing a David Bowie obituary in response to a rumor that he was near death--in 2013. Some of their observations came so true...
The Nobituary: David Bowie «

I'm currently listening to Low for the first time. I like it so far. I'm especially eager to hear all the instrumentals.

I'm currently listening to Low for the first time. I like it so far. I'm especially eager to hear all the instrumentals.

"A New Career In A New Town" and "Subterraneans" are both some of my favorite Bowie tracks. Low is a wonderful album.

"A New Career In A New Town" and "Subterraneans" are both some of my favorite Bowie tracks. Low is a wonderful album.

It is as wonderful as I've heard and read. It's one of those albums that you hear the first time then immediately play again. In fact, I'm losing some sleep just to listen to this again (and I do like my sleep).

It is as wonderful as I've heard and read. It's one of those albums that you hear the first time then immediately play again. In fact, I'm losing some sleep just to listen to this again (and I do like my sleep).

You only live once, so if you're going to lose sleep, may as well lose it listening to one of the greatest albums of all time!
Anyone see the Bowie tribute at the grammy's? hate to be critical of someone who obviously meant well, but imo it was fucking awful! & can anyone enlighten me as to why lady gaga was the "obvious" choice according to some dimwit at the said show, to perform a tribute to Bowie in the first place.
That said, over here on this side of the pond, the brits are organising an "all star tribute" to Bowie, wonder who, & which songs they'll be butchering!

You only live once, so if you're going to lose sleep, may as well lose it listening to one of the greatest albums of all time!
Anyone see the Bowie tribute at the grammy's? hate to be critical of someone who obviously meant well, but imo it was fucking awful! & can anyone enlighten me as to why lady gaga was the "obvious" choice according to some dimwit at the said show, to perform a tribute to Bowie in the first place.
That said, over here on this side of the pond, the brits are organising an "all star tribute" to Bowie, wonder who, & which songs they'll be butchering!
Most of this thread agreed she was a good and obvious choice a few pages ago when we discussed it, so you're pretty much calling all of us here dimwits as well.

Why would anybody think she was an obvious choice? She has nothing to do with Bowie. Her music doesn't show is influence in any way. She makes bland, generic corporate pop with visuals that suggest depth that isn't there. There are so many artists who would have been decent choices. There was no reason to choose her. Unless the thing had more to do with boosting the fortunes of an industry favorite who's career is not doing well...

It was a bizarre performance. Was she supposed to look like an Elvis impersonator?

The band was atrocious. Nile Rogers was a poor choice to lead the band. He worked on Bowie's biggest hit, but it would have been more fitting to use Carlos Alomar, who was Bowie's band leader during his best and most influential years and played with him off and on from 74-2002. Or Tony Visconti. And maybe having the band composed of people who were in Bowie's bands would have been a good idea. The cock rock version of "Heroes" was appalling. It was a terrible tribute in every way.

The Flaming Lips tribute was so much better.

Obviously it was better, they played full songs over the course of 40 minutes. The Grammys were never going to allow something like that.

Also, to be fair, Lady Gaga does not make "bland, generic corporate pop".

But they could have had someone competent play one song instead of snippets from some hits performed by a guy who recorded around 20 songs with Bowie and a Madonna impersonator masquerading as an Elvis impersonator. It was tacky and exceedingly superficial; flashy or the sake of being flashy. It was everything Bowie wasn't.

Why wasn't Earl Slick there, or Belew, or Fripp?
Why wasn't Carlos Alomar there? Or Visconti?
Why wasn't Gail Ann Dorsey playing bass, or George Murray, or Visconti himself?
Mike Garson?
Dennis Davis on drums, or Woody Woodmansey (the last Spider!), or Zachary Alford, or Sterling Campbell? People who played with him for a long time, or who were extremely important to his music.

Bowie had a small group of people that he worked with for the majority of his career. They should have been involved with the tribute.

As for singers...who knows? Damon Albarn? He's a fan, and he's clearly been influenced by Bowie. He's his generation's Bowie. Mick Jagger? Iggy Pop? Gary Numan :)sexywink:)? Any of the people Bowie sang with at his 50th birthday maybe?

People who said "Gaga is the new Bowie" have as superficial understanding of Bowie as you can possibly have, which I guess makes her the logical choice for the Grammy's to choose to honour themselves for acknowledging a man who's work they largely ignored. Anyway, she was terrible choice, but the performance was a lot worse than I thought it would be because she can sing, and Nile Rogers is obviously a talented man...but that was terrible.

Also, to be fair, Lady Gaga does not make "bland, generic corporate pop".

yes she does. i knew her songs before I knew who she was, and there was nothing to distinguish them from the pop music of 2008/09 aside from better singing. when I found that the maker of those songs was supposed to be a revolutionary artist I was shocked. yet again, image takes precedent over content.

jlaw-okay.gif

As I said before, I'm not a Gaga fan. But I wouldn't go so far as to call her generic corporate pop. If anything, she fails as a worthy successor to Bowie, Madonna, etc. because she hasn't written enough memorable songs.

After mulling it over, maybe Prince would have been able to do Bowie justice. He dabbled in many genres, and played with conventional perceptions of masculinity/femininity. But I understand wanting to show how he influenced subsequent generations, so why not get Prince and/or Madonna to perform one song, have Trent Reznor do another, and let Gaga finish it off? You give them all 3 minutes and it still clocks in under 10.

Last night was practically tone deaf in how it failed to be subversive or unique, and emulated a jukebox with Tourette syndrome. Bowie would have hated it. He'd probably prefer Mick Jagger coming out and performing Dancing In The Street with Hologram Bowie, because at least that would be a great troll.

Most of this thread agreed she was a good and obvious choice a few pages ago when we discussed it, so you're pretty much calling all of us here dimwits as well.

Maybe its an american thing then, but I fail to see how gaga is an obvious choice, I'm not that familiar with her career, other than she seems to gain more headlines for exposing her bristols, than any ground breaking music, add to that her voice just wasn't/isn't up to singing any of those chosen, as I said, maybe its an american thing, but I'd have thought Arcade Fire, Trent Reznor, Dave Grohl, Frank Black, or any other artist who've performed with Bowie, or been championed by Bowie in the past would have been better choices, just my opinion!

I forgot about Arcade Fire. They are the obvious choice: hugely successful, they worked with Bowie, and he fucking loved them

Just looking around the web, & unbelievably, according to one report I've just read, the so called supergroup being assembled for the brits tribute, includes adele, noel gallagher & fucking coldday, is someone out there trying there hardest to take the almighty piss out of David, what the fuck have any of those artists got to do with Bowie, fuck all, but all have recent albums to sell, & as the brits, like the grammys is basically advertising space for mainstream artists & their money grabbing labels what the fuck does it matter about the career of the greatest rock star ever! bunch of money grabbing publicity seeking C£$:down:TS!!!!!

LOL at the idea that the Grammys should pick a band known by about 368 people in the US to do the Bowie tribute.

I liked it when I watched it, then on further reflection I didn't like it as much, and then I was over it. The end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom