David Bowie: The next thread and the next thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
David Bowie prepared a number of records to be released posthumously | Consequence of Sound

David Bowie the artist may be gone, but his music will live on for years to come. And by the sound of it, fans will have plenty more songs to look forward to in the future. According to a report from Newsweek, prior to his death, Bowie prepared a number of anthologies to be released in the proceeding years.

The first of these releases is scheduled for sometime in 2017. Newsweek adds these records have “been divided into eras and will not necessarily be released in chronological order. It is not yet known whether they will contain previously unheard work, though past re-releases of Bowie’s work have.”

What’s more, a cast album is in the works for Bowie’s off-Broadway play Lazarus starring Michael C. Hall.

As previously reported, Bowie had been working on an album composed of entirely new material in the weeks leading up to his death and even demoed five tracks. It’s unclear whether those tracks will ever see the light of day

So Bowie died and every time I turn my radio station to station they are playing Bowie songs
then that Eagles guy died and I turn on my radio and they are all playing Bowie songs,
as it should be.

I'm perfectly fine with I Can't Give It All Away being the last official song. Were they completed songs, maybe.

Same here, though if there's going to be more material, I'd rather be it part of a plan by Bowie, rather than a record label like they do for Hendrix.

Imagine what the next 10 or so years would have been like had he lived on. Just Bowie growing more reclusive publicly and continuing to drop whatever the fuck he wanted to.

I'm perfectly fine with I Can't Give It All Away being the last official song. Were they completed songs, maybe.

Yeah, that's how I want to remember Bowie. Such a good song and such a good exit.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I've been bing listening to Bowie since right before Blackstar came out.
"Quicksand" may be my favorite Bowie song of all time. What an amazing gem on an amazing album (Hunky Dory). "Teenage Wildlife" is a bit zany, but really awesome. Those are my two biggest standouts since going back through his discography. I honestly hadn't heard much of anything post 1983 before his death. But I've really liked "Black Tie White Noise" and "The Next Day". Still need to hear all of "Reality", "Heathen", "hours", "earthling" and "1.Outside".

Last edited:
Just listened to Rick Wakemans instrumental version of Life On Mars, which he'll be releasing as a tribute/charity single along with Space Oddity next month, absolutley brilliant, also heard Guy Garvey's accoustic version of Let's Dance on the Chris Evans breakfast show, again absolute class from the Elbow frontman, both among the superior tributes we're likely to hear in the coming weeks, apparentlt there's going to be a tribute at the Brits next month, if rumours are to be belived a so called "supergroup" will perform some of David's songs, just hope they don't butcher them.

That was a good piece. That's also the second article I read from an artist that mentioned Bowie being critical of their work. Interesting.

Well he had just released Tin Machine II, so he wasn't in his best state of mind.

There are so many interesting tidbits in that interview. That he sent him a Leunig poem; Leunig is a beloved Australian cartoonist, I had no idea Bono even knew who he was. I also find myself getting annoyed at his comments about Blackstar, because if U2 had the balls like Bowie did they'd be releasing better music.

Since even their adult contemporary move with Every Breaking Wave failed to make much of a commotion (10 years ago maybe it would have won a Grammy), I wonder if Blackstar might actually have a positive impact on the band's work-in-progress There's nothing for them to lose at this point, and their attempts to work with the hot pop producers didn't yield radio or relevance. Bowie was rarely "relevant" because he was so out in front doing his own thing. And now, in retrospect, his career is all the more impressive for it.

Hoping they just chase the muse a little longer and down some darker alleys, and to hear a near-70-year-olds release something like Blackstar has to light a certain kind of competitive creative fire. They've already mentioned "Zooropa" in connection with Songs of Experience so they may as well just go all-in, or at least get into that tug of war Bono was talking about.

I don't know. Bono basically says "I like Blackstar despite itself." It doesn't seem like a direction he's interested in at all.

^exactly. And then he says he liked Bowie best when he was being populist as well as arty. So that whole thing seems to suggest it will be business as usual, perhaps even more commercial.

"It's more 'art,' so I shouldn't like it."

Oh, fuck you Bono. Go cure AIDS and let Edge write the next album.

There are so many interesting tidbits in that interview. That he sent him a Leunig poem; Leunig is a beloved Australian cartoonist, I had no idea Bono even knew who he was. I also find myself getting annoyed at his comments about Blackstar, because if U2 had the balls like Bowie did they'd be releasing better music.

Bono name drops so many people that I've never heard of, I'm no longer surprised by anything he mentions being interested in.

Which is why I don't understand the "art" comment, except maybe he's saying people might not expect him to like something more artistic, since U2's a pretty mainstream rock band.

Whatever the reason, there's never been any indication, ever, that Bono doesn't like "artsy" music, so I don't buy it that that's what he meant.

And to ignore the rest of a truly beautiful and moving article to focus on that one word is a very Interference thing to do :wink:.

EDIT: Reread the line again. He's talking about Bowie's music, not music in general. That makes a little more sense.

Bono name drops so many people that I've never heard of, I'm no longer surprised by anything he mentions being interested in.

Which is why I don't understand the "art" comment, except maybe he's saying people might not expect him to like something more artistic, since U2's a pretty mainstream rock band.

Whatever the reason, there's never been any indication, ever, that Bono doesn't like "artsy" music, so I don't buy it that that's what he meant.

And to ignore the rest of a truly beautiful and moving article to focus on that one word is a very Interference thing to do :wink:.

EDIT: Reread the line again. He's talking about Bowie's music, not music in general. That makes a little more sense.

Yeah, Bono and the band admit that he's the more "arty" one when it comes to recording. So I don't think anyone should get bent out of shape at such a quip...

They got into Eno (that dude sure makes music for the masses!) through Bowie, they went to Hansa because of "Heroes," one of Bowie's "artiest" records. Bono saying he doesn't like arty Bowie as much as populist Bowie is bizarre. Would he really take 80s Bowie over the "Berlin" trilogy? ...Hours over Heathen? Black Tie White Noise over Outside? Probably what he means is that his favorites are Ziggy Stardust and Hunky Dory though.

It makes sense that a guy who prefers melodic Bowie would love Blackstar. Bowie's melodies haven't been this strong since Station to Station, and he hasn't made an album with so many hooks since then too. Blackstar is just a great album. Bono seems too smart to divide music into "arty vs. not arty." He should leave that shit to philistines and dullards with poor vocabularies.

My Blackstar LP finally arrived - thank God I ordered it before he left - and it sounds as good as a record can sound. The artwork is beautiful too. It's worth buying a turntable for.

They got into Eno (that dude sure makes music for the masses!) through Bowie, they went to Hansa because of "Heroes," one of Bowie's "artiest" records. Bono saying he doesn't like arty Bowie as much as populist Bowie is bizarre. Would he really take 80s Bowie over the "Berlin" trilogy? ...Hours over Heathen? Black Tie White Noise over Outside? Probably what he means is that his favorites are Ziggy Stardust and Hunky Dory though.

It makes sense that a guy who prefers melodic Bowie would love Blackstar. Bowie's melodies haven't been this strong since Station to Station, and he hasn't made an album with so many hooks since then too. Blackstar is just a great album. Bono seems too smart to divide music into "arty vs. not arty." He should leave that shit to philistines and dullards with poor vocabularies.

Well if you actually read the piece you'd know that Bono said he prefers Bowie in the middle of the tug of war between art and pop. Not one side or the other. If you going to criticize that compromise, so be it, but don't misrepresent his words.

Once again:

I like Bowie when he’s evenly pulled in the direction of being a pop star and Picasso, where he’s right down the middle. That’s usually my favorite, when the songwriting is disciplined but the recording is not. I love when he’s pulled equally in the directions of art and populism. Blackstar is much more art, so I shouldn’t like it as much as I do. But I really loved it.

Bono: I like Bowie when he’s evenly pulled in the direction of being a pop star and Picasso, where he’s right down the middle. That’s usually my favorite, when the songwriting is disciplined but the recording is not. I love when he’s pulled equally in the directions of art and populism. Blackstar is much more art, so I shouldn’t like it as much as I do. But I really loved it.

What albums is he even referring to with this, though? Maybe Heroes? It's odd because Blackstar sounds to me exactly what he's talking about: catchy songs within a larger artistic framework.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom